Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Vie is a Hoax - And A Challenge for YOU, Dear Reader

MadameButterflyMadameButterfly Posts: 116 Member
edited February 2017 in Off Topic Chat
As some of you are aware by now, Project Vie, the so-called Sims Challenger, is a hoax. Many of you have seen this screenshot that I have openly shared:

yWmh2wU.png
http://i.imgur.com/yWmh2wU.png

Plus, I was asked some excellent questions about my motives on MTS:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=5162171#post5162171
So... for months and months and months an entire forum full of people knew that one of their members was using this fake Project Vie to troll the reddit and simblr communities, but didn't say anything about it until now?

Why, exactly, is that?
To which I replied:
Because...it was brought to my attention that the fuss hadn't died out like I thought it would, but instead had grown exponentially worse. After I booted the culprit, I wasn't paying much attention to their antics since I no longer had a need. I got a PM, later, to let me know what was going on in the greater community. (I don't follow every blog & tumblr. I only visit a few Sim-related sites.)

This is probably true for my members as well. We do tend to stick to our own corner of the internet, for the most part.

And then several of my members backed up these statements, as witnesses to this hoaxer's actions...on here, MTS & Reddit:

In addition, the admins of Reddit have banned several of the hoaxer's Reddit accounts, including their Project Vie account. As mentioned here:
Geeze. These threads keep popping up like mushrooms.

This game is a hoax. The person who keeps trolling with his fake game has had his reddit accounts suspended.

Threads here and here.

I feel for those holding out hope for this to be legit, and inadvertantly feeding this troll's endless need for attention.

However, they did not get them all. The hoaxer still has several Reddit accounts in action, and the hoaxer probably has multiple accounts on this forum as well. They have also been spotted on YouTube under various handles. Sometimes they even try to play the role of a debunker, themselves. This is just how they operate and have been for some time.

Now for the Challenge!

I challenge you to debunk any future images and media that they may try to materialize. Maybe you will recognize the images from some other game. Be on the lookout and be on the alert.

Before, the joke would have been on you, but now the tables are turned.
Post edited by MadameButterfly on

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    It's really unbelievable that a high school student has nothing better to do with his time than to troll the Sims community. Someone should tell the guy to get a life instead of pretending to be living someone else's! :|
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    It's really unbelievable that a high school student has nothing better to do with his time than to troll the Sims community. Someone should tell the guy to get a life instead of pretending to be living someone else's! :|

Yes, it is unfortunate that he isn't using his talents and energy in a more productive manner. He would find that gaining true respect and admiration is priceless, and I hope that he will learn that for himself one day.

• Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited February 2017
    It seems like the game WAS a hoax after all! Wow, what a poophead! I'm also sorry that I was sceptical of your post in the first place; frankly I was sceptical of EVERYTHING at the time, but I guess I just wanted to believe that there AREN'T poopheads like this in the world that just troll something like this for fun!

Anyways, that's a bit disappointing, and I feel really sorry for everyone who got their hopes up on this Vie thing!

Wow though, what a [insert-word-I-can't-say-here]! I hope he gets taught somehow that being a [insert-word-I-can't-say-here] doesn't get you anywhere in life. :/
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    I remembered initially hearing about it long ago, but it sounded awfully forced, like it was forcing to antagonize people. Kind of paid it no mind afterwards. Imagine my surprise when I see it pop up again.

Sorry to see no one paid heed to you addressing this @MadameButterfly. Hopefully this coerces people to stop paying it any mind. (Kind of doubt it, though... :confused: )
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited February 2017
    Eh, kind of a shame really. I am still of the opinion that some competition would have been ultimately good for The Sims franchise. Maybe not Project Vie, since the "game footage" looked a bit half baked, but something equivalent to City Skylines (RIP SimCity) with similar genre but slightly different mechanics.

I guess looking back there are a few red flags about it being a hoax, but hindsight is 20/20.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    Thank-you @DarkSuperNinja and @ENolan for your support in this. It has been kind of rough watching people doubt my message, but I am confident that everything will be sorted in the end. The truth will prevail. (Hopefully sooner, rather than later...for all of our sakes.)

The footage you saw, @The_Dismal_Scientist, is actually from some other game (It's just called Vie rather than Project Vie). This is also part of the confusion! He didn't check to see if the name was already taken. (Or, if he did, he did a very poor job of it. ;) )
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    There are already a couple of images circulating, with a "pre-alpha download" tag on them. Those images belong to other games.
    Frankly though, I wouldn't even have bothered with another thread.

One, the perpetrator is probably delighted with more attention and secondly, considering the reaction from some users when the warning was posted initially, I would have just let it go and not bothered warning them in future. The fallout and disappointment from continuing to believe an obvious lie is on themselves after that and I'd have no sympathy.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Called it.

The tweets were written like a child, or a troll.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I was offered a photograph of "concept art" to examine. This was at the tail end of last year. I did warn my friend that it was a fake. The faker has forgotten to remove the breadcrumb trail so it took all of 5 seconds to back track to source. I am in no way associating it with the supposed project vie but merely mentioning it to show how common these rumours are. It also demonstrates how keen some people are to find an alternative to the sims. I am one of them and I thank you for bringing project vie to my attention. I shall continue looking but as of now nothing feasible has come to light :(
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member
    wonder what they will say on the 15th march at midday? will their twitter disappear?
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    edited March 2017
    Their twitter is already gone. My bad.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Linamints wrote: »
    @glen1974 Their twitter is already gone.

No it's not. I just checked, and it's still there.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options

When I try to go to their twitter it says "Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!".
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    edited March 2017

They changed their twitter name. It's now 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and not Proj_Vie

www.🐸🐸🐸🐸
  • Options

They changed their twitter name. It's now 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and not Proj_Vie

www.🐸🐸🐸🐸

Ah, that'd be why then. I retract my statement.
  • Options
    Lol one of my mutuals on twitter messaged Vie on facebook and Vie said the rumors of their falsehood were started by someone formerly on the project.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Heck, in that time he could learn some real coding and make a game -- that's what the developer of Stardew Valley did and he's probably worth a couple of million now. Find a niche that no one else is filling, make a quality product to fill it then keep it fresh with new content.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Here you go. Lots of nice screen grabs here, for those trying to keep up with this story:

https://twitter.com/heyblindmouse
  • Options
    Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    You would think a company that was indeed real would treat people with respect, and not be so quick to be rude. Even if it was a real game, I would certainly not stand behind a company that treats people like that. That should be a big red flag as well.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Alas I am afraid I was one of those who was hoping it would be real, but I did not get My hopes up to much thank goodness, due to the fact that I am always leary of everything until it turns out okay, I thank you very Much MadameButterfly for letting everyone know bout this, I just hope that others were not worse then I was in hoping. much appreciated.
  • Options
    Aeriexo11 wrote: »
    You would think a company that was indeed real would treat people with respect, and not be so quick to be rude. Even if it was a real game, I would certainly not stand behind a company that treats people like that. That should be a big red flag as well.

It's unfortunate that it ended up this way, but my forum members were expecting it. The hoaxter can be relentless with his abrasive manner and potty mouth when he doesn't check himself. (In fact, at home I've always referred to him "Potty Mouth" or "that Potty-Mouthed Kid" so that my son knows who that I'm talking about. :wink: )

Alas I am afraid I was one of those who was hoping it would be real, but I did not get My hopes up to much thank goodness, due to the fact that I am always leary of everything until it turns out okay, I thank you very Much MadameButterfly for letting everyone know bout this, I just hope that others were not worse then I was in hoping. much appreciated.

You are very welcome! I'm sorry that this isn't what you had hoped. But, who knows! There could be an emerging talent out there who does deserve support.

• Options
    glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member
    I still don't understand why someone would go to such extreme lengths with this lie and still keep it going! They sound like a complete sociopath.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member

Attention, which they are continuing to get.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    rosethesimmerrosethesimmer Posts: 109 Member
    What is Project Vie? I haven't heard of it (I know that this is a post from some time ago, but I'm still wondering).