Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Washing dishes in bathroom sink

Why do sims like to walk past the kitchen sink and go to the bathroom sink to wash dishes?

This happens literally every time my sims clean dirty dishes. If there is no dishwasher or it's being used/broken my sims always walk past the kitchen sink (which is always the closer sink to them) and walk out of their way to wash the dishes in the bathroom sink.
banner_3.jpg?w=1200

Comments

• Options
    jessienebulousjessienebulous Posts: 108 Member
    I hate this, which is why I have no sinks in my sim's homes, only a dishwasher.
  • Options
    ElimarnaElimarna Posts: 1,484 Member
    It drives me crazy. I've had sims walk upstairs to wash dishes in a bathroom sink with lower reliability/hygiene ratings, bypassing the much better kitchen sink completely.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Same here. I use no sinks in my house. There is a mod that designates certain sinks as bathroom sinks... the option to wash dishes in them is disabled. I'm going to try it out. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any plans to address a lot of the bugs and annoyances at least not anytime soon. Sometimes it's just easier to use the workarounds from the modding community.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    kaputtinokaputtino Posts: 56 Member
    ughhhh, yes. this is so frustrating! happens to me very often too, in several households.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I believe they are designed to go for whatever sink is closest. If they are walking past one sink, which is right there, to go to another one... is another sim using the sink and right in front of it? Is the sink broken? If not, it sounds like a bug.

Perhaps certain sinks have an unintended amount of attractiveness set on them. Maybe try comparing notes on what bathroom sinks you're using.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Why do sims like to walk past the kitchen sink and go to the bathroom sink to wash dishes?

This happens literally every time my sims clean dirty dishes. If there is no dishwasher or it's being used/broken my sims always walk past the kitchen sink (which is always the closer sink to them) and walk out of their way to wash the dishes in the bathroom sink.

"Smarter Sims. Weirder Stories"
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    It is annoying!!! It drives me crazy. It also happens to me very often. When the sink is perfectly fine and they also eat in the bathroom...
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    Yup, this happens to me too. But I've noticed that if you used a counter underneath the bathroom sink vs the standalone ones, the sims will be more likely to use that sink to wash dishes.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Yup, this happens to me too. But I've noticed that if you used a counter underneath the bathroom sink vs the standalone ones, the sims will be more likely to use that sink to wash dishes.

Eh, I have a standalone sink in my bathroom and my sims will still go to the bathroom to was dishes. I think it's more funny than annoying, only now because i'm living in a small apartment in San Myshuno. It's annoying when it's a huge two story house and they walk all the way upstairs to use the sink to wash dishes when they literally pass the kitchen sink on the way to the stairs. Because sims are stupid for the most part and on the way up the stairs, will forget where they are going, and place the dirty dishes in the hallway.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    This was meant to have been fixed a while ago - I am pretty sure it is in previous patch notes.

I think that previously - and in TS3 - the coding was dumb and the closest sink also took into account a different floor - ie the AI could detect in Y, not just X,Z.

It shouldn't be hard to only check the closest sink on a particular floor.
  • Options
    FriedCawfeeFriedCawfee Posts: 195 Member
    hmm never thought about removing all other sinks. I might doing that until this is sorted out.
    Playing the Sims since 2001.
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    Same here. I use no sinks in my house. There is a mod that designates certain sinks as bathroom sinks... the option to wash dishes in them is disabled. I'm going to try it out. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any plans to address a lot of the bugs and annoyances at least not anytime soon. Sometimes it's just easier to use the workarounds from the modding community.

I'm not the kind of person that likes playing with mods, never have and never will. So it would be nice if the sims team could add the ability to set a sink as a kitchen or bathroom. Or like you said what that mods does and give us the option to remove the ability to wash dishes in a particular sink on our sims lot.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Options
    ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    This problem WAS fixed. I haven't had the problem until recently. I'm not sure which addition might be reawakening it....toddler patch? vampires? I installed a dw to stop it...sim starts in the direction of the upstairs bathroom sink and stops midway (!) He returns to the kitchen to put them in the dw....could sims be any more strange???
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • Options
    DaleylifeDaleylife Posts: 128 Member
    I'm still having this problem.
  • Options
    pookysimsloverpookysimslover Posts: 339 Member
    edited August 2017
    I have had this problem too, and I have every EP, SP, and GP, and all updates! So if it was fixed, it isn't anymore, so they need to fix it again! And I understand not wanting to use a mod to fix the game, because we pay too much for the game, to have to use a mod, just so our game works right! I have had them go to the bathroom sink, even when I switched to the cheapest sink for the bathroom, and the one in the kitchen is highest priced one! But than the games have had them do a lot of things that was stupid, like going all the way outside to eat by themselves, rather than eat with their housemates or guests,lol!
    To follow me or check out my creations my name is claramj and my avatar is Nikki Cat, she's in my gallery!
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited August 2017
    This happens to me on a daily basis, I feel as if my Sims do it to stumble on a family member using the toilet or something on purpose. They literally go out of their way to be humiliated.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    That problem was fixed but my Sims are back to ignoring the sink in the kitchen and heading into the bathroom to use the sink there. So I have pulled all bathroom sinks on my lots, along with the dumb dishwashers. Why can't they add more dishes after one Sim has loaded his or her dishes? That makes no sense. Why buy a dishwasher if we can't do more than a single plate at a time? In the past games, Sims could open the dishwasher and add his/her dishes and restart the darn thing. And even if I have one Sim do all the dishes at once, they forget something and have to wash it in the sink. My Sims are just going to have to put up with dishpan hands and forget about owning a dishwasher until they figure out how to use one properly. LOL
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    This drives me mad. I put two dishwashers in the kitchen as well a sink, and Alexander Goth stills goes all the way upstairs to wash dishes, even when one of the dishwashers is empty and no one is standing in front of the sink.
    and sims are still standing in front of the fridge, I thought that was fixed to.
  • Options
    boykinater18boykinater18 Posts: 237 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    It is annoying!!! It drives me crazy. It also happens to me very often. When the sink is perfectly fine and they also eat in the bathroom...

I hate it when they eat in the bathroom and yea the sink issue needs to be fixed. Hopefully they'll address it. Seems like such a small problem that could be fixed easily.
  • Options
    leafmealoneleafmealone Posts: 9 New Member
    My sims do this too and it's ridiculous. They will literally embarrass anyone who's using the bathroom to get in and wash dishes. Once they do they usually end up sitting the dish down on the floor and walking away. >:(
  • Options
    Big_Boy_Bmw760LiBig_Boy_Bmw760Li Posts: 93 Member
    I hate this too. Needs to be fixed!
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Sometime i have to delete sinks in the bathroom just to force my sim to use the kitchen sink even if i put a dishwasher in my sims homes the worst part is sometime if i have my sim cook a meal they prepare teh meal in the bathroom thats annoying
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    I'm having this issue again too.

(On a side note, this thread should probably move to the bugs and issues section.)
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • Options
    CrueltivityCrueltivity Posts: 161 Member

"Smarter Sims. Weirder Stories"

"Dumb Sims. Frustrating Stories"

• Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    Yes, and it doesn't matter if the sink in the kitchen is better quality. My sim picked up dishes that were right next to the kitchen sink and walked all the way to the master bedrooms bathroom and washed them. The bathroom sink is el cheapo and the kitchen was way more expensive because I thought it would help. What a waste of my sims money!
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top