Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much time do you spend creating your Sims and houses?

Comments

• Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited January 2013
    i'm not a builder and i suck at decorating. I tend to spend about 2 hours in CAS initially creating the parent Sims, and about 1 hour if i'm creating a single sim. afterwards i will buy a starter home and go from there. Expanding as I aquire money. When I'm ready to purchase a larger home, I just download from the exchange or somewhere else and add that lot into my world. There are so many incredible builders. I enjoy playing my sims in their creations.
  • Options
    TvcoobTvcoob Posts: 1 New Member
    Takes me just short of 2 hours to create my sim. I like to get the right look for them and have everything styled to their traits, relationship status's and age.

Now for houses it takes ages, my latest build has taken me nearly 2 days. I spent 3 hours doing foliage around the house after spending 5 hours building the initial layout. Normally I do it from a roleplay perspective, so if its on Bargain Bend then it's typically takes about 30 mins.
  • Options
    aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    Can take me up to several hours for both, especially building - has taken me several days in some cases to build the right house for the sim.
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • Options
    sugarplumpeachsugarplumpeach Posts: 177 Member
    Creating some good looking sims (I have an artistic eye so this comes naturally) takes anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes. Houses can be up to around 15 minutes.
  • Options
    jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    I don't spend hardly any time creating. I don't build houses, usually use one already placed in the world. I am just not a creative person at all and I'm also very detail-oriented, so if I ever attempted to build, it would probably take forever! As far as sims go, I often choose an interesting pre-made and use their story. Or, I'll create a single sim and then find a townie I like and create a family that way. I almost never create a family.
  • Options
    readypostreadypost Posts: 60 Member
    In CAS,usually about an hour,clothing HAS to match personality and color prefrences,have to have the "perfect" face and vioce I can stand to listen to ( perfectionist with creating Sims).Houses,not the greatest builder but I do aspire,so usually pick a simple house already in game and try embellishing it to suit my Sims needs .Often use inspiration from builds on YouTube or from architectural websites,tho my abilities at building are limited.So Sims:1 hour;houses:forever,because I can't get just the right look I want.
    Happy Simming,Everyone! :)
  • Options
    abeabe Posts: 79 Member
    I usually live in prebuilt lots in town, because overall I love the EA designed homes. However, I spend a LOT of time creating my sims - part of it due to the number of custom content I have in CAS that tends to slow it down.
    tumblr_oj8nzqc5iR1vx1p03o1_500.jpg
    Check out my legacies and sims at windsorsims.tumblr.com/!
  • Options
    SimsthreepersonSimsthreeperson Posts: 14 New Member
    I average 30 to 40 minutes when it comes to building a house. As for creating sims (which I hardly ever do), I take about 5 minutes tops to make a sim.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited December 2016
    For Sims, depending on what I'm using them for (myself or for someone else), I can be working on them for 2-3 hours.

For houses, as I only usually Sim on the weekends and days that I have off, it takes me months. I built the below day before yesterday and the roof alone took me about 3 hours. I always end up changing something, I need to make sure that everything is just so.

Screenshot-1318_zpszkjzupn4.jpg
    Post edited by aricarai on
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    It varies a lot. If it's a quick sim for something, just a random sim to put in my town so the pudding face immigrants don't rule it, let's say...20 minutes, including setting their most-appearing outfits.
    For a sim I'll use for a looooooooooong time with a deep character a little more. Including I often continue tweaking those in game, upto 2 hours possibly.

For houses, it all depends on the size of the house. I can put hours and hours in giant castles put in little ones 'just' two hours.
  • Options
    jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    I average 30 to 40 minutes when it comes to building a house. As for creating sims (which I hardly ever do), I take about 5 minutes tops to make a sim.

@Simsthreeperson, this makes me feel more normal. LOL I never build houses, but I was amazed to see that the majority of people in this thread spend hours creating a sim. :o Admittedly though, I like my sims to look different and often use the randomize feature in CAS with minor tweaking, rather than trying to replicate a real-life person. I'm normally done in 10-15 minutes.

• Options
    blazerntqblazerntq Posts: 2,409 Member
    I think for the most CAS takes me about an hour. Houses can take me days.
  • Options
    LaraNocturnalLaraNocturnal Posts: 74 Member
    I play entirely around building a house, so it's stretched out over a pretty long time. But I would say I spend several hours total on the house itself.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    A hour or two for a family, not counting setting their skills and sorting their inventory with mods after, between 2 days and a week for a house, it depends on how complex the house is. But I spend much more time building in my mind before, while I'm not playing. So I already know what I want to do before I start.
  • Options
    DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 300 Member
    Spend most time decorating the inside, feel as if i have a hard time designing house way i want it. Often doing it over several times while still remaning unsatisfied, feel like making house itself from bottom most unpleasant part the game experience for me. Part reason for that is i feel it's extremely hard to get functionality and aesthetics combined harmonously. Since house functionality plays a major part in game play especially if you have not unlocked a lot the satisfaction traits or what they're called to reduce the unbearable downtime doing nothing but tending sims most basic needs. Which feels like take up much more time than seems natural compared to other things.
  • Options
    SimsthreepersonSimsthreeperson Posts: 14 New Member
    @jordand : The randomize button is my go-to choice when creating a sim :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    ButtersimsButtersims Posts: 107 Member
    I usually just start off with a single sim, tweak them to my liking or just randomize their looks and take around 15 -20 minutes until I'm satisfied. Houses are a different matter. I can spend up to 4 hours building one from scratch and I enjoy decorating them. If I find an EA house that I like it's usually a full on revamp and it can take a long time until it's done. Last night I spent my simming in Monte Vista building an extravagant Italian villa, and I believe it took almost three hours to get everything the way I wanted it. And then, oh BU.MMER, the game just crashed : s ... I think saved before though. It's one lovely lot, and it fits so well with Monte Vista. I haven't gotten into the game today, hope I saved ... I think I did actually.
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Surreal wrote: »
    Way too long. I don't usually start with a "look" to shoot for - I just go in and experiment. Then choosing clothes - then recoloring everything - then changing my mind and recoloring again - then changing my mind - you get the idea.

I don't build houses because I suck at it. I either use premades or downloads and then spend hours redecorating. Can't do it all at once because it just takes me too long dithering with colors and trying to mix prints attractively, knocking down walls, finding a place for the freakin' basement stairs... It takes a few days to get a house the way I want it.

attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    When creating a sim, it can take me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on if I'm making a filler character or a sim I'll actually spend time playing.
    In building houses and venues, it takes me a ridiculously long time because of how nitpicky and detail-oriented I tend to be. :D A simple 2 bedroom house usually takes about 2.5-4.5 because I get caught up in the story behind the occupants, and something like my Fey Light Basegame Park on the Gallery takes around 9-12 hours if I do it in one sitting.
  • Options
    SimsInHogwartsSimsInHogwarts Posts: 57 Member

I usually spend an hour - or more - just to create my sims.
    As for the building part, I'm not really into it. I usually place my sims to already existing houses and I just redecorate the rooms I don't like.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Creating sims takes me an hour. Building takes weeks so I don't bother anymore.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    lottylovessimslottylovessims Posts: 11 New Member
    I usually create one house then save it so I don't have to create it millions of times. I generally hate decorating especially when I think I've done but I still have to do all the bedrooms. :#
  • Options
    simmerbrentleysimmerbrentley Posts: 203 Member
    I usually spend a good 20 minutes creating my sims. I'll give them three everyday options in addition to their other outfits. As for houses I'll spend anywhere from 3 - 20 hours. It's a slow process as I'll continously add/change spaces as I gather more ideas/inspiration. In the end my homes feel more polished if I tweak them as time goes on.
  • Options
    WesselGordonWesselGordon Posts: 108 Member
    For me creating a Sim takes 5-10 minutes maximum. I like the idea of playing ''Rags to Riches'' over several generations so I'm kind of fussy about my ''Founder Sim'' but I do have a set of default traits to give them the opportunities to make life better for their poor little needy offspring.

As for houses: I buy the cheapest furnished one and make some modifications such as buying a computer then buy better houses as the story progresses.
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    It really depends on the house. For houses I'm setting up for a soon to move out family member that I know I won't play much I will make sure it's nice, but I'm not going to spend all day doing it either.

But I can spend hours designing and fine tuning a house I care about. I can't imagine soending months on one house though. That's WAY too much work for me.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast