Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Art style of Sims4

Comments

• Options
    AlcrestonAlcreston Posts: 70 Member
    They are pretty close but I wish the style is more spot on with the first batch of promo renders. Its more of a lighting issue.
  • Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    a lot of GLOSS....you can see my hair and beard shine
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I enjoy the cartoony graphics. It reminds me of animal crossing, just not as cute.

The only issue is hair variety with cc. Unlike alpha, pretty much all the hair for TS4 that matches its style is a frankenmesh. Nothing wrong with that (some of these Maxis hairs could use an edit if you ask me), I just want new hair styles. I was able to get a lot of original alpha hairs for TS2. Unfortunately, the art style of this game makes it hard for original clay hairs.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    I don't like how round objects are the shape of a stop sign. I like my round objects to be round
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I enjoy the cartoony graphics. It reminds me of animal crossing, just not as cute.

The only issue is hair variety with cc. Unlike alpha, pretty much all the hair for TS4 that matches its style is a frankenmesh. Nothing wrong with that (some of these Maxis hairs could use an edit if you ask me), I just want new hair styles. I was able to get a lot of original alpha hairs for TS2. Unfortunately, the art style of this game makes it hard for original clay hairs.

Thank you, i finally have a word for these hairs.
    "Custom Content creators make clay hair too"
    No, they don't. They glue maxis hairs together.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    The natural lighting is pretty, but everything looks made of plastic, and low poly... Not my cup of tea. I prefer the Sims 3 on ultra by far.
  • Options
    xJawdinxJawdin Posts: 42 Member
    I LOVE IT. you have NO idea how happy I was when they released the sims 4 art style. I was a huge fan of the Sims 2 and a bigger fan of Urbz on Ps2. they mimic the style so perfectly. the art style of TS3 is a big reason why I didn't get into it that much. I mean I know with some tweaking they can look really pretty but no thanks :#
    tumblr_ncmw3fJCnf1sz111so1_250.gif
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    xJawdin wrote: »
    I LOVEI was a huge fan of the Sims 2 and a bigger fan of Urbz on Ps2

Aaaah Urbz :blush: Love that game, followed by TS2 Castaway.

I like TS4 style. Not really fond of Alpha as I don't like too much realism in a life simulator(Sounds ironic actually :expressionless: )
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    a lot of GLOSS....you can see my hair and beard shine

This is a 2 year old dead thread..
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited December 2016
    I love it, like people have mentioned, it reminds me of the Sims 2 but modern.
    It's also very artistic to me, the hair reminds me of how you'd sculpt it from clay or in a drawing.
    Resembles a marble statue; in the good way.

It's pretty telling that in both the Sims 2 + 3 I used bucket loads of CC, but I'm purely Maxis Match or no CC in Sims 4.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    xJawdin wrote: »
    I LOVE IT. you have NO idea how happy I was when they released the sims 4 art style. I was a huge fan of the Sims 2 and a bigger fan of Urbz on Ps2. they mimic the style so perfectly. the art style of TS3 is a big reason why I didn't get into it that much. I mean I know with some tweaking they can look really pretty but no thanks :#
    Sims 2 and Sims 4 art style are similar. Sims 4 is different.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    This is my favorite of the lot. Hands down.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I don't like it. I was hoping that after The Sims 3 they'd move toward something more realistic where you could see more details. The Sims 4 Sims and environment just look plastic to me - it's pretty to look at, but it's too happy clappy looking for me. I want to see grit, shadows, textures - it's all in the detail for me!
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    I don't like it. I was hoping that after The Sims 3 they'd move toward something more realistic where you could see more details. The Sims 4 Sims and environment just look plastic to me - it's pretty to look at, but it's too happy clappy looking for me. I want to see grit, shadows, textures - it's all in the detail for me!

Sims was never supposed to be too realistic. Super realistic Sims would just look creepy with the humor the Sims is famous for like dying, cowplant etc. Sims 3 is as realistic as I would ever want the series, and it was a little too much for me at times.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

Sims was never supposed to be too realistic. Super realistic Sims would just look creepy with the humor the Sims is famous for like dying, cowplant etc. Sims 3 is as realistic as I would ever want the series, and it was a little too much for me at times.

I agree super realistic Sims would be over the top, that's not what I was saying - I was saying more realism and more details, but no, I don't want actual people walking around in my game. I would prefer more realism to cartoony without texture.

• Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    @Zeldaboy180 I revived the thread XD
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    @JasonRMJ I noticed that and i was like "whaaat?" when i saw the notification that someone commented :D
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't want uncanny valley but I do want to be able to make unique characters. In that respect a combination of Sims 3 art style and Sims 4 (TSM) CAS would be perfect. As for environment, I absolutely wouldn't mind GTA landscaping and buildings in this game.

ETA: no, I take that back, I like the game to look a bit idealized.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I think that the uncanny valley effect is a risk that is taken whatever the level of realism is unless if aesthetics is extremely cartoony, even more cartoony than TS4. If I take the picture as an example below, without their "hyper" emotions sims 4 sims don't escape the uncanny valley problem at all. I even wonder if the reason why they always have that silly grin all the time is to avoid showing how creepy they look otherwise.

33354925112016184247.png
  • Options
    @Candyd Not all creepiness is uncanny valley though, I think that term gets a bit abused on the Sims boards? Uncanny Valley is when a computer (or movie) character looks so realistic that for one split second you think it's a real human and the next second you realize it's not. That's where uncanny starts, because your mind keeps oscillating between those two observations. Vanilla Sims games don't have that kind of realism.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I know the definition, and I find that many times sims fall right into it. The definition and the concept itself are controversial. Many kinds of artwork, many different levels of realism are called uncanny valley and I don't think it's a wrong definition if even porcelain dolls are sometimes included. As long as it looks both "tries to look human" and "empty inside", it's not a misuse IMO.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

Why would realistic be creepy? GTA is realistic and no one says it's creepy. For me the more realistic the better.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I think it would be interesting to see a sims game with graphics on the level of some of the best we can currently do in the industry. Like high poly, high detail models.

I tend to prefer realism in my graphics. It's one of the reasons games like Minecraft don't appeal to me.

That said, sims 4 is realistic enough that it doesn't really disrupt my game experience. There are moments, depending on how a sim is designed (usually by me) where the cartoon really comes out and it feels a bit over-the-top, but I don't really run into that with premades. I just get carried away in CAS sometimes lol.

Bottom line for me is, humanoids that look too much like a cartoon in a video game repulse me far more than any uncanny valley effect can. The interesting thing is, poly count and detail aren't always the determining factor. Some of it is just the art style; whether lines and shapes are more exaggerated or pronounced. I mean, the default CAS smile along with the way the features are is like the muscles are going to bounce off the face, it's so stylized. And there are older games I've played whose graphics feel more "realistic" than what we have in sims 4. They are just low detail realism.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Old thread. Not sure if anyone actually realized it. But the beards. Good god. No. not good graphics. Wide foreheads on males. Again. Good god. No. the jaw lines. Terrible.

Environments? Cute. Yeah.

But that's about it.

I challenge every simmer out there to show me a good. Reasonable. Non-CC beard.

Then we'll talk about great graphics. The time has come.

I think I may have seen some good ones in S2, but I'm going to be fair and assume it's CC<— I used lots.

Go pics!
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I love the art style. I think it's whimsical and charming. This is the first version where I've not felt the need to use any genetic custom content.