Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the Sims 4 passed its prime?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited December 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Recently watched LGR's review of Vintage stuff (which btw I bought for a bed lol...yes a bed - hey if I can spend $7 on Jugo Juice then I can afford it I guess lol...) and he seemed kinda...well tired of the Sims 4 now. Like he just...isn't into it, like its a chore to play.

Then after visiting different websites from here to others, I'm starting to notice a rising dissatisfaction or perhaps a better word - disinterest in the Sims 4. Like its kinda past its prime and people are moving onto other games or just tired of the same old same old.

Now sure there is a large community that loves the Sims 4 who will always exist, playing to the very end - but my question is, in general are people losing interest in the Sims 4 now?

For myself, I must admit it annoys me that little things Maxis still hasn't fixed after all this time, like CAS made sims not touching lips when they kiss. Broken sim eyes during certain emotions, club issues, ect, ect. I still play and still buy stuff but...I find myself spending less time playing the actual game and more time building in it.

So is it just me or is the community ready to move onto the next Sims (5) game?

Comments

• Options
    snootypatootysnootypatooty Posts: 499 Member
    No it's not just you, I still play a little bit and I keep all the EP, GP and SP up to date, for me the problem is it's to much like real everyday life and not a sandbox where you can play with life but with a twist, games for me including the sims is a escape from everyday stuff and sims 4 just seems dull
    The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
    My website bit.ly/185bQS My Chat website bit.ly/1NiCwCb My Blog bit.ly/OuqF0Y
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I'm having as much fun as I did at release and am looking forward to future content. :)
  • Options
    sheepicornsheepicorn Posts: 31 Member
    It really depends on my mood. I can either get very immersed or just dabble with it. I still love it though, so I hope TS4 doesn't lose its community.
    Gallery Name: chicatheartist (Come visit my creations some time!)
    ByCPAWOxGWlm1ufLDRDQEZefvDIej5LKzK2NBU2rxMqGf0Zh_eNLqzvYNNA0WiFV0zYPiOo=s107

• Options
    Moderator_PierceModerator_Pierce Posts: 142 Member
    I like to think it has not reached its prime yet. Sims4 has a great potential, but there is still a lot missing. There are things I like better on it than in its predes... praedec... earlier games, such as some building options or the bodyshaping options in the CAS and the overall performance. But on the other hand, many elements lose their fascination after several times of employing them, like the jacuzzi animations or the festivals or repeating tasks on the job. However I do like how the devs add little things with each free content update.
  • Options
    sheepicornsheepicorn Posts: 31 Member
    @SimGuru_Pierce I hope you're right about it not reaching its prime yet. I feel like there is potential but like most of the other games it still needs more time.
    Gallery Name: chicatheartist (Come visit my creations some time!)
    ByCPAWOxGWlm1ufLDRDQEZefvDIej5LKzK2NBU2rxMqGf0Zh_eNLqzvYNNA0WiFV0zYPiOo=s107

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    The Sims 4 took a risk with multi-tasking.

A lot of people were probably kind of hoping that TS4 would combine interactions from TS2 and TS3 - ie toddlers having all of the interactions of TS2 & TS4 combined - along with new TS4 stuff.

It didn't play out that way.

Instead of getting more interactions and range of interactions we get pretty much the same.

Whims are shallow beyond belief for me - I ignore the Whim system altogether - too much spamming do push-ups, dance at a stereo, etc, etc.

The instance loading was expected to deliver more - in fact, it is pretty much on par with TS3 - are TS4 venues more vibrant thatn TS3 ones?

It's a painful waiting game for EP's, etc to arrive to deliver more stuff that is useful.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Just because it had its prime for LGR doesn't mean it had for everyone else. It's the same with all games, you will eventually get bored with it unless you renew the way you play. Sims games were always like that, you only get what you put in, I had my best gaming periods when I used lots of fantasy, imagination, created in depth characters and decorated their homes and lives according to their true personalities. I assume that can still be done with all the series, you just need to get inspired.

I find TS4 still being new and fresh, but then I took a long break from it to play TS3. Recently I started making machinima and found this game being much more cinematic than I expected. But I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much without my fantasy/creativity involved.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 took a risk with multi-tasking.

A lot of people were probably kind of hoping that TS4 would combine interactions from TS2 and TS3 - ie toddlers having all of the interactions of TS2 & TS4 combined - along with new TS4 stuff.

It didn't play out that way.

Instead of getting more interactions and range of interactions we get pretty much the same.

Whims are shallow beyond belief for me - I ignore the Whim system altogether - too much spamming do push-ups, dance at a stereo, etc, etc.

The instance loading was expected to deliver more - in fact, it is pretty much on par with TS3 - are TS4 venues more vibrant thatn TS3 ones?

It's a painful waiting game for EP's, etc to arrive to deliver more stuff that is useful.

I agree, once I saw whims for my married sims to get engaged and to buy a stove when they just finished cooking I ignored them
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    The Whim system is basically the game dictating how you play the game, rather than the other way around.

I bypass the Whims system like this -> sims.give_satisfaction_points 60000

Kaching!

I never have to take note of the Whims ever again - ever.
  • Options
    ShampuruShampuru Posts: 90 Member
    He's done nothing but moaning and complaining since it was released. I stopped watching his channel because I couldn't take the negative attitude anymore.
  • Options
    StefSimStefSim Posts: 37 Member
    I honestly just bought sims 4 because I found my old files from sims 2 wanted to move them to 3 but realized there was too much auto aging for my many households. I would have stayed with sims 3 otherwise because I enjoyed the open world aspect. who knows. I may go back
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Sims games don't peak and fall off. They continue to improve until they end.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited December 2016
    I don't think looking to LGR on whether the game has reached it primes is the best. LGR has stated that the game hasn't been giving him what he wants and VG was no different so of course the game is more of a chore for him.

That said I have also noticed some who are getting bored with it. This is because the game doesn't have many surpises. Once you get your sims into a routine the game does very little to break it and change thing up. Often you have to be the one who changes. So if you aren't actively manipulating the game it get boring.

Then there are the EPs or specifically City Living. Though I like CL for it cas, build, new world and new objects it leaves a lot to be desired as it doesn't change my game that much. GTW added 3 active careers and retail which changed how my sims could earn money and changes my experience with them at work. GT changed how my sims interacted with each other and how I form groups making them more controlled and dynamic. CL just gives me a new city and activites but doesn't change my experience.

So because of what CL fails to bring what is there to bring interest back into players who have not lost interest in the game and have fully explored the other 2 EPS and possibly the GPs? This becomes more apparent when those players know they will have to wait another year for the next EP. Thankfully the next GP seems to be coming soon so maybe that'll give them what they have been wanting.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    But on the other hand, many elements lose their fascination after several times of employing them, like the jacuzzi animations or the festivals or repeating tasks on the job. However I do like how the devs add little things with each free content update.
    I'm inclined to agree. There are aspects to it that I love, but there are moments where I find myself wishing for a system that is more framework and less themepark. Though I would definitely classify the game as a sandbox overall, the festivals (as an example) seem very linear and predictable overall. If I could construct/customize my own festivals (similar to clubs in Get Together) that would be more of a sandbox tool.

At its core, the primary issue I seem to run into is that the game mimics real life somewhat in the repetition department, but it also falls a tad short of mimicking real life in the dynamic department. As in, in real life, even in a routine day, you can expect little bits of weirdness sprinkled throughout. In a routine sims day, that kind of weirdness is harder to find, or the weirdness runs together after a while because it's the same bits of weirdness playing out every time almost to the point of routine.

I don't know that the game I envision is a game that will ever exist in the simsverse though. It's a level of sandbox that many find overwhelming and vexing, as they don't know what to do with all the tools. And the kind of dynamic I imagine is, let's face it, just plain hard to program. We can fake extemporaneous circumstances by programming in enough possibilities, but the scope is limited.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    IMO, the game is getting better with age. It has a lot more now than it did starting off. It's silly to think any Sims game has a 'prime', let alone one this early. It's a series that is dependent on its dlc. Sims games don't reach their 'prime' until they've finished being supported with content, because they're not finished yet until then.

I bet if I looked over at the current players list on the Gallery in game right now, it'd be at least the 30k it was this time last year. As its been all year. For all the 'doom and gloom' that keeps being floated around, it hasn't lost its active playerbase.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    Honestly yes I find myself playing for about 20 minutes a day, but there are times when I can really get into the game and that's only if I make myself try something new and open my eyes. I feel like a lot of people just follow the big name youtubers who review Sims and dislike it because of what they themselves can't do. I see a lot of people on Youtube comments saying "This is why I won't buy Sims 4". I admit it requires quite a bit of imagination, but I feel like that's our fault as a community. We are so split in content no matter what it is, some people want supernatural and others constantly say they don't want supernatural being in their game. Some people want more detail oriented things like real life and others complain that they don't want to have to do real life things in their game. With so many opinions and people going "me me me, I I I" it's no wonder content can seem so jumbled and disconnected. It's hard to even meet down the middle because there would not be enough of this or that. Personally I hope Sims 4 get's better because I feel like it has some potential and I want to see it to the end.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    After Get Together, everything took a nosedive. As a consumer, I've invested money in this game and I will continue to critique even if that means enduring the judgment of others. I've followed this series for many years. There have been ups and downs, but for me, it's never been this bad.

I still have faith in this game, which is why I'm still here.

What made the game different for you after GT?
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don't think it's hit it's prime yet. I think that there is a lot to be improved upon certainly but I hope that will come with time.

You could argue all sims games are repetitive, my Husband is a Gamer but thinks the sims is just the same thing, day after sim day. He does like build mode that said and he likes hearing my funny Sim stories.

I don't think LGR criticising the game means anything and no disrespect intended. I am puzzled why his name continuously pops up on threads. I have seen people state they don't buy anything sims related till they have saw his review specifically. I mean why? Just because he's not an influencer doesn't mean his review is the best thing since sliced bread. Yes he made some valid points in his two years of meh video and I think he did strike a nerve with Simmers who felt/feel similar but his opinions are just that: an opinion!

I think the game has got better since City Living came out. I'm not ready for the sims 5. I would rather see the sims 4 evolve.