Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I've given TS3 another try

PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
And man!!!! This game is pretty awesome.
Ive been a simmer since day one. Saw a commercial for Sims 1 before it came out and begged my mom for it. She surprised me with it on release day when she picked me up from school.
I dont think I slept that night.
I Loved the sims 1!! It was unlike anything id ever played before and i was addicted. Favorite eps were superstar, making magic, and pets.

Sims 2 came along and I was like oh baby! Loved Loved Loved sims 2. It took ts1 and just turned it up x10! I think i developed really bad sleeping habits because of sims2. Favorite eps were open for business, seasons, freetime, and pets.

Sims 3 came along and…. Eh. Ill admit, I bought it on release day. Was very excited. But I was completely let down. I hated it. The look of the sims. The graphics. The world was too… idk how to describe it. Green??? Too many trees?? (That sounds plum and Idk how to explain, but i knew i didnt like it)
The game just seemed very slow and dull to me. Coming from a fully loaded ts2, i just couldnt get into ts3. So I dropped it.
Id heard about the open world but didnt truly understand it. I wasnt involved on any forums and didnt have any friends who played the sims so I really didnt have anyone else to talk about the game with.
Loading screens in ts2 never bothered me so this new "open world" feature didnt seem like very much.
However I did purchase the pets ep on a whim. I was out at target one night and just so happened to see theyd released a pets ep. Since ive always loved the pets in previous versions, I decided to pick it up.
Brought it home, loaded it up, created my simself and a replica of my own dog, moved into a house and BAM!!!! Computer couldnt handle it. I was disappointed because I really wanted to give it a try but putting more money out to fix a game that I wasnt even a fan of wasnt something I was interested in doing. So I was like oh well. Put the game away and never thought about it again.

Okay!!! Then I hear ts4 is coming to town. I see ppl trying the demo and putting up pics on instagram. Looks neat. Looks promising. The graphics definitely looked better than what I remembered from ts3.
So im excited!!!
I get ts4 on release, play it for a while, and find that its… okay. Keep in mind this is 2014 and I hadnt sat down and properly played a sims game since 2008 when apartment life for sims2 came out. I never fully explored that ep. There were other things going on in my life.
Anyway! I got sims 4 and played around with it and it was kinda fun... at first. But slowly I drifted away from it and stopped playing altogether until I saw something on youtube about get to work. Sounded cool so I purchased on release day. Played it for a while and realized my sims were… really dumb.
I did an experiment. Met a suspect at the police station. Befriended him. Invited him to my house. Asked him to move in. Built a jail cell in my basement. Lured him in. Locked him away. And watched to see what he would do. I gave him nothing but a toilet, a desk, a desk chair, a shower, a sink, a bed, and a bookshelf. And do you know what he did when his fun ran low?… nothing!!! He stood in the same spot for HOURS everyday and would only use the toilet or shower or bed when his needs called for it. (And no I did not have autonomy off)
I would have my sims wife cook and put food into the locked up sims inventory. I will say he DID have enough sense to take the food from his own inventory when he got hungry enough.
But boy was I disappointed. .. again.

So I stopped simming. By this time id purchased a gaming laptop that was capable of handling ts3 so I decided to load it up just for plums and giggles and give the pets ep a try since I couldnt before. Everything went smooth and I was impressed. The depth that went into the pets was something amazing.
But then real life happened and I stopped playing for a while.
And when I finally came back to simming again, I went back to ts4. I know. I must be cray cray right? But anyway, that was when I realized if I wanted my sims to have any REAL kind of personality, i had to be the one to give it to them. So I started taking pictures in game and writing a story to go along with my gameplay. Something id NEVER done before. But I found I liked it. I liked it a lot!! It made me love the game again!
So over time, i purchased almost all the missing dlc I didnt have for ts4 and have been loving the game ever since... until recently.
Idk why or what it is (I think maybe the holiday season may have a lot to do with it) but for some odd reason ive been wanting MORE from ts4. I want seasons to match up with my holidays.
Sooooo on a whim, I decided to load up ts3 again... and man am I in love!!! I guess maybe because ive been playing ts4 for so long, so now I have something to really compare it to. Idk what the big difference is now, but now I see. I feel like amazing grace over here. I once was blind BUT NOW I SEE!!!!
This game is… really incredible. And ive only been playing a few days. But just from what ive seen so far… wow.
Like for instance, I just so happened to be looking through my sims window while he was sleeping and saw my neighbors (husband, wife, and kid) coming home at like 4 in the morning. I was like what the plum? Whyre they coming home so late? Then I noticed the mom was carrying a new baby! That BLEW MY MIND! The whole family actually went to the hospital for the mom to have the baby and they were just now getting back home!! Just wow!
I know for longtime sims 3 players youre probably like. Okaaay. Thats pretty normal sims 3 behavior. But for somebody coming from ts4 its like ohmysimgod THIS IS SO REAL!
My sims house has already been broken into by a very attractive burglar. I saw a guy riding his horse up my street just because he could. I tried to befriend a cockatoo and got bitten. The wild horses and deer are beautiful.
Its just the amount of depth that these sims have compared to ts4 sims that has me speechless.
Oh and another thing, I had no idea you could peek into your neighbors windows lol. So of course I did it and got caught. the little boy came running out to tell my sim a thing or two. but by that time I had my sim run back across the street to hide in his bedroom.
These sims are VERY different from ts4 sims. In a good way!
I cant remember being this impressed with ts2 sims. I remember they were funny and quirky and quite realistic with the way they interacted with each other. But then again I was younger and honestly, depth wasnt so important to me then. But now? I truly do appreciate it. I feel like what my sim does really matters. Like in sims 4, my sim could fart on his date and that smile would never leave her face. But now its like I feel more responsible for what my sim says and does, and friendships hold more meaning because they are harder to attain. And not to mention the life that is going on around town! Everyone serves a purpose. Sims arent just there jogging through the hood to make it LOOK alive. It IS alive.
I didnt understand open world back in 2009, but I bet I understand and love it now.

So after saying ALL that, I will add that I am now back with the sims 3 for the very 1st time. And its all because of the sims 4.
So thank you sims 4 for making me go back and appreciate the sims 3 :)
Post edited by PlumDiddy on

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited December 2016
    i love hearing stories like this! and i love TS3 even more, lol. i had a similar experience but i never really stopped playing 3, i just thought 4 was "more fun". but once i got a gaming pc and could play 3 with all ep smoothly i've uninstalled 4, it's a waste of space for me to be perfectly honest and i have no intention of installing it again. :)

i hope you have fun exploring and playing 3!

P.S: i think if everyone had a computer capable of playing 3 they would love it. most of the reasons people are playing 4 instead of 3 is because of technical issues (that 3 has). but that's mostly because their pc isn't for gaming. i'll admit i do have a few mods that help fix some of the things in game that could cause issues with playability, but i'm willing to put in some effort to be able to play a genuinely fun game. :)
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    @PlumDiddy I loved your post. It has its issues, as all games do, but I agree that TS3 is really awesome. I'm so glad you decided to give it another try and are enjoying the game now. :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Astro wrote: »
    i love hearing stories like this! and i love TS3 even more, lol. i had a similar experience but i never really stopped playing 3, i just thought 4 was "more fun". but once i got a gaming pc and could play 3 with all ep smoothly i've uninstalled 4, it's a waste of space for me to be perfectly honest and i have no intention of installing it again. :)

P.S: i think if everyone had a computer capable of playing 3 they would love it. most of the reasons people are playing 4 instead of 3 is because of technical issues (that 3 has). but that's mostly because their pc isn't for gaming. i'll admit i do have a few mods that help fix some of the things in game that could cause issues with playability, but i'm willing to put in some effort to be able to play a genuinely fun game. :)

I agree. I think a big draw for ts4 is that its playable on more computers than ts3.
    initially when I loaded up ts3 this time around, I had to jump through a few hoops to get it going. Game kept crashing on me. I got it sorted out tho (knock on wood). But i read that appaloosa plains will do that to some folks. But the town is pretty enough that its worth the trouble.
    And thats another thing, ive got my graphics turnt up and the sims arent half as bad as I remember. Sure some of the premades need a makeover or two, but they really dont all look alike like I thought they did back in 09. In fact, maggie gray is downright pretty :)
    Overall im glad I decided to give the game another go. And If I go a solid month without the urge to fire up or even think about ts4, then most likely ill be doing the same as you and uninstalling.
  • Options
    @PlumDiddy I loved your post. It has its issues, as all games do, but I agree that TS3 is really awesome. I'm so glad you decided to give it another try and are enjoying the game now. :)

Me too! Ive got a couple popular mods like overwatch, error trap, etc. And as I learn the game im sure ill probably get a few more to help with certain things along the way.
    its crazy because I feel like im learning the ins and outs of a brand new game. But im def enjoying it.
    thanks for reading :)
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    That is so awesome. I went from TS2-Ts3-Ts4-Ts3 and I'm still finding new things ALL the time in TS3. And it really makes a difference what traits you give your sims. Some of mine have been real d-bags but so much fun to play. I Would happily play a much smaller Ts3 world now, than go back to ts4 when nothing makes a difference and I can't really change a thing.

It definitely takes patience and maintenance, and at times mods. But I really have found so much fun in Ts3.

Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've loaded my town legacy challenge up today and am looking foreward to playing after tuning Mod settings is done.I have to tune Temest to fix the weather up instead of disabling it in game options.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Great post, I love hearing things like that.

But ya just gotta get more EPs!! Seasons is a must, it is so fabulous to see! Ask Santa to bring you something nice and simmish ;)
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    @PlumDiddy
    i love your post :blush:

you should give TS2 a second chance too with all the packs available
    this franchise has the potential of growing with the player & it's because of the depth that was added as long Will Wright was still around

this was true for the first 3 releases, up till dumbed down apartments & businesses in TS3 were allowed

PlumDiddy wrote: »
    I agree. I think a big draw for ts4 is that its playable on more computers than ts3. ...
    TS4 is technically playable on more computers but not playable for more players with different playstyles
    so what's the use of this technicality after all if it's a boring game with little to no gaming depth ?

can the devs improve TS4 to a status of better gaming ?
    we'll see, i rather doubt it, since half of it is FX only, it runs better because of all the fakes & absent options

& as @elanorbreton writes, you should get Seasons for TS3 too, you will be blown away :smiley:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Welcome to the club! What a wonderful read, your OP :smiley: Happy simming.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I didn't even know some of the things you described there in your OP could happen xD
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    <3

I laughed at the part where your sim got caught peeping in the neighbor's window and you had your sim run and hide in his bedroom, hahaha! :D
    Welcome back to 3, so glad you are getting a chance to appreciate it this time around. I love the open world, too. Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    I didn't even know some of the things you described there in your OP could happen xD

i love hearing stuff like this too! :D it proves that TS3 really is a huge game with and unbelievably large amount of things to do and explore.
  • Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited December 2016
    @PlumDiddy : thank You for this topic. It was really joy to read it. <3 I wish that my hubbie could read this too - I've begged him to purchase all purchaseable for TS3 (store too) and I have still impression, he dislikes PC generally. However I've obtained all from him, what I wanted - including new custom built PC with more RAM, because Sims3 fried my graphic card and I needed it for handle Seasons. (Since this times I've beginned with fps_limiter and then replaced with NVidia inspector for get fps under certain level).
    I'm not playing now, because reinstalling all store content mostly in individual sims3packs, because I want get rid of the undeletable collections created by game for featured sets, but I remember, that I've loved exploring tombs (feature what comes with World Adventures) and I hope that I will be able to turn in game soon.
    But before that I should to revise all game-fixing mods - I can't absolutelly play without NRaas suite, vertical shifting on older items and I want my game all unlocked stencils and all CAStable.
    I wish you that you manage to find fixes at all bugs and that you enjoy TS3 - EA has abbandoned us (for this reason I've deleted TS4 preorder and I'm still more happy for that decision), but TS3 is still worth to play - for me is that really (insane :smiley: ) obsession.
    Thank You again and have a marvelous 3-Simming! ;)
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    PlumDiddy wrote: »
    Astro wrote: »

I agree. I think a big draw for ts4 is that its playable on more computers than ts3.
    initially when I loaded up ts3 this time around, I had to jump through a few hoops to get it going. Game kept crashing on me. I got it sorted out tho (knock on wood). But i read that appaloosa plains will do that to some folks. But the town is pretty enough that its worth the trouble.
    And thats another thing, ive got my graphics turnt up and the sims arent half as bad as I remember. Sure some of the premades need a makeover or two, but they really dont all look alike like I thought they did back in 09. In fact, maggie gray is downright pretty :)
    Overall im glad I decided to give the game another go. And If I go a solid month without the urge to fire up or even think about ts4, then most likely ill be doing the same as you and uninstalling.

it took me about a week of playing ts3 after i had gotten my gaming pc to realize 3 had everything i wanted in a sims game and that 4 wasn't something that i could have fun with without trying. like in 3 i have maybe one or two things i have planned that i want to do in game, and then i can just play and let things unfold. in 4 i have to basically plan things ahead of playing bc there's really nothing to do. the worlds are so small and restrictive that once you do a few things more than once you realize that the game feels more like a chore to play than something enjoyable.
  • Options
    wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    I also didn't know of some of the things you mentioned in the OP and i've been playing Sims 3 since it's came out! That's one of the reasons I love this game (and Sims 2) is that i'm still finding new things in it :)
    Sims 4 does feel like a chore, it lacks so much depth that previous games have like Sims 3.
    I gave up with Sims 4 myself and am happily enjoying 3 :) and 2, I go back and forth depending on what I feel like playing.
    I'm glad you are enjoying 3, wonderful story and happy simming :)
  • Options
    MISPLACEDditzMISPLACEDditz Posts: 6 New Member
    Just remember if you like to garden to do it in a fenced-in area only accessible from inside your house. Otherwise those beautiful deer and horses are gonna eat it. Yes, a horse can open a fence gate. No, he can't go through the doors of your home or jump the fence. Even if he's a jumping expert. At least mine never have.
  • Options
    ButtersimsButtersims Posts: 107 Member
    Whenever I play different games, in the end I always have to find a way back to TS3. Welcome back, hope you have fun and stories to tell! I love the horses and have found them to be my outlet for not having horses for real, lol. I took one look at TS4 and it didn't do a thing for me, and I believe that TS3 is simply perfect (in its imperfection, those glitches!) I have yet to try a myriad of skills and careers and I've been playing for almost six years, on and off again. So have fun, post pics, tell us what your sims are up to because a good story is always appreciated :D
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Welcome back to the greatest Sims game ever made! :smiley:

You are not the only one who has gone back to TS3 and many never left.

It is also good to see players actually appreciate the realness of the Sims themselves and how they interact with the world as to me The Sims is not just about the Sims but the world around them, everyone does have a purpose and everything you see is real and not some fake backdrops or some random behaviour.

Unfortunately you do need a good PC to run TS3 but that is no different to other games anyway and in this day and age I wouldn't expect players to have too many problems.

I did have to laugh about the TS4 Sim that you put in a cell though, he just stood there doing nothing, that might be a bit of realism anyway as I don't think most prisoners always have too many options in their cells ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    OP welcome back! :D
    In my case, after I learned about the details of Sims 4, I just went out and bought the Sims 3. ;):D
  • Options
    dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    i always come back to sims 3. greatest game ever!
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Welcome back!

I'm another returnee thanks to the sims 4. I still play 4 but there's no denying it did push me back to the sims 3. And having a gaming PC makes a world of difference.

I didn't know sims could peek in other people's windows! I'm going to try that! I'm still learning about this game and I've only had it since launch. There is so much to do and see in game.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Welcome!! :)

I had a two day phase of "don't wanna play" after almost 2 years of continuous play on Three and did go to Four for about two months but am back to Three and haven't touched Four for a few months. Three is just too "me", Four is okay for a little vacation but not forever.
  • Options
    That is so awesome. I went from TS2-Ts3-Ts4-Ts3 and I'm still finding new things ALL the time in TS3. And it really makes a difference what traits you give your sims. Some of mine have been real d-bags but so much fun to play. I Would happily play a much smaller Ts3 world now, than go back to ts4 when nothing makes a difference and I can't really change a thing.

It definitely takes patience and maintenance, and at times mods. But I really have found so much fun in Ts3.

Im actually trying different traits that I never found interest in before. Like the light sleeper one seemed kinda useless, but its actually pretty cool to see how that sim tosses and turns all night. And it really came in handy when i had a burglar break in. My sim got right out of bed and was ready to fight! ... and lose :/ But the second round was all his!
  • Options
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've loaded my town legacy challenge up today and am looking foreward to playing after tuning Mod settings is done.I have to tune Temest to fix the weather up instead of disabling it in game options.

What exactly is temest?
  • Options
    Great post, I love hearing things like that.

But ya just gotta get more EPs!! Seasons is a must, it is so fabulous to see! Ask Santa to bring you something nice and simmish ;)

I actually just installed seasons last night!! I set it to winter and wow! No snow yet but The rain is so calming. And the reflective puddles it leaves behind are just <3 from my sims window I watched a deer hop along splashing in one in the distance. I was totally immersed!