Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you addicted to mods?

Comments

• Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Yes and no.

I had a ton of mods and cc with TS2, so I avoided using any for TS3 until it was pretty clear the series was going to end and they weren't going to do a lot of things I'd hoped for. So I turned to mods to fix things and fill in the blanks.

With TS4 I put my mods folder in and out. Right now it's sat on my desktop after patching and running the new stuff pack. I played a session with my mod/cc free save and enjoyed it. So I can play without them.

However, I do like customising the game to my own preferences. And I also enjoy poking around at the files and doing my own thing with the tools I'm given. I've modified my game since TS1. So I think I'm addicted to modding and tinkering, more than I am addicted to the actual mods themselves.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Yes, and I'm down to a few, so I'm going to write down the ones that I use in order of importance to me. If anyone wants them, they are on mod the sims. Feel free to check them out.

1) MC Command Center
    2) No more ingredients needed
    3) UI Extension Cheats - but if you hate mods, I think you can use game cheats to get the same results
    4) Show Sim Info - it's just fun
    5) A coding mod to rename the "very" moods. For example "very flirty" is now "passionate"
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Wouldn't say I'm addicted but I find them necessary from time to time. TS3 is and will always be my favorite Sims game but the game engine was a mess of utter proportions and my experience didn't make the game unplayable but mods definitely helped
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    iamthekiamthek Posts: 56 Member
    I've never used mods in TS1, TS2 and TS3 before, also not in TS4. But watching youtube videos or reading stroies I kind of get interested in them. I've seen in a video that someone made a snow mod and I totally love it. I'm just not sure if I want to download it. I'm afraid I could break the game or my computer. I know, silly thoughts. but since I've never used them I think I can have these thoughts. I also have no idea where to get them from.
    But it is actually amazing how much effort people put in in creating CC and Mods.
    "Have a good look, kids! That's how you catch tasty Sims!", said the mothercowplant to her babies. <3
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I'm addicted to Cc. For sure. Not mods. I like making the game look the way I want.
    Y4csOvo.png

ErilW19.png

l2zspiM.png

Give me that gold lamme' dress over anything that came with anything from the game. No comparison.

VRUQGKi.png

CC artists do wonderful things that add to how I enjoy my game. I couldn't enjoy it as much if I played with just what they gave me so I am very glad that there are simmers out there who create the things they do for me to use. CC is always better than base/game made.

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    jonilla1 wrote: »
    No...Where did you get that idea? *Tries to hide the mods folder*
    Umm sure hand over that mod folder I saw you try to hide it. :joy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    tonicmoletonicmole Posts: 121 Member
    I used to be. Every game I'd mod until it was completely destroyed. Especially Sims 3. I finally calmed myself down for Sims 4, and Fallout 4. Mods are fun ,but you have to be careful. Destroying your long time save is unpleasant. It's even worse with Sims 3, because of the legacy file, even with backups it could be tricky resurrecting a corrupt save. This feels like Mods Anonymous.
    What's the deal with the creepy Sim in the yellow shirt, and glasses? The one right up there! I'm guessing what ever he is it starts with "serial".
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    What ? ... Mods ? What are mods ? No, I'm not hoarding those kind of things, I totally don't have any addiction, what a shame that would be ! o:)
  • Options
    Sims_4funnSims_4funn Posts: 103 Member
    Yes! Beacause the game just isn't that great without them. ijs :/
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I don't use mods for sims 4. However, I do have some recolored appliances, plumbing, curtains and beds of what's in the game. This time around CAS, and build/buy looks better in this iteration. Just needed additional colors. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    i don't use cc or mods. ccs messed my sims 3 up
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    The real shameful struggle is getting my mods folder under 8gb.

I've resorted to removing my build buy mods since the new expansion released, so I'm down to around 5 gb.

I have such a problem. I'm constantly adding to it too. CC is just too shiny.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 714 Member
    I wouldn't say addicted but I enjoy the game more when I use Custom Content. Back when I played TS1 I used to download a lot of new heads and houses. I rarely used cheat objects, I remember just using the magic mirror. Same with The Sims 2 and 3, I just got CC hairstyles and clothes, I think lots as well.

I actually just started using Mods on The Sims 4 (apart from CC hair, body hair, clothes, items), there are some really talented creators out there that I enjoy what they do.
  • Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I had no idea cc and mods existed when I played the Sims 2. With Sims 3, I got caught up in the horrible doll incident and that cured me of wanting cc/mods until the game was done. Now I have a few NRAS mods for the Sims 3 but I own most of the store, so I don't really feel the need for cc with it. I elected to have some mods and cc with Sims 4 for several reason. First, there is no pause on zone. This drives me nuts. Every time I would send my sims traveling, something would happen around the house (10-15 seconds seems like forever). The dog wanted out Right Now, the letter carrier was at the door, the cat was making the horrifying sound he would make just before throwing up on something hard to clean. As soon as I discovered MC Command Center and its pause on zone feature, I downloaded it and have loved it ever since. The UI cheats was recommended to me and I love being able to remove annoying buffs (do you really need a confident buff every time your use chopsticks successfully?) and adjust needs now the then. I also have some cc for greater variety and color choices.

I can play without the mods/cc and I do while the mods are being updated for patches. I make sure to have at least one save that is kept cc free for just this occasion. The mods are appreciated because they fix the things about the game that are annoying or broken, like constant drinking, clown walk-bys (daughter hates clowns and won't play with them in), and of course the needed pause on zone.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I refresh modthesims daily for changes in gameplay. I download CC clothing from TSR. Any other good mod sites?
  • Options
    brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I refresh modthesims daily for changes in gameplay. I download CC clothing from TSR. Any other good mod sites?

http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/tagged/s4cc

It's updated constantly and is a great source for all the tumblr cc.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

It's updated constantly and is a great source for all the tumblr cc.

Thanks for the link checking now
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    Yes, and I'm down to a few, so I'm going to write down the ones that I use in order of importance to me. If anyone wants them, they are on mod the sims. Feel free to check them out.

1) MC Command Center
    2) No more ingredients needed
    3) UI Extension Cheats - but if you hate mods, I think you can use game cheats to get the same results
    4) Show Sim Info - it's just fun
    5) A coding mod to rename the "very" moods. For example "very flirty" is now "passionate"

Lol I have all of the exact same mods as you.
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Sims 2 it was all about CC hairs and outfits, Sims 3 it was all about NRass mods and CC ect and SP and I still use it today.

Sims 4 I use MC Command Center and UI Cheats Extension mods and CC hair and outfits but I kind of went through my Sims 4 CC and got rid of some hair I'm not using that did help a bit.

So yes I use CC hair and outfits and skins and mods.
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    I am just gonna download some mods and cc.

DOWNLOADS 1000 FILES OF CC HAIR AND CLOTHES
    Everytime i search for mods.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    Yeah, I can't live without them. Every time there's an update I risk it and leave them in until bad things happen. Then I remove them and go through the whole which one is it. Which is not fun, but necessary. My must haves are MC Command and UI Cheats Extension. I never used CC before sims 4, but the lack of hair options in the base game made me go look for some and now I can't get enough of them.
  • Options
    UltheaFuUltheaFu Posts: 64 Member
    I try to play as vanilla as possible except for being a CC lover for making my sims. I haven't added anything else to the game except for hair/makeup/clothes but that's probably because I just recently picked up TS4 and it's still new and shiny. I do see some potential boredom with content lacking (pets and toddlers) but I'm mainly a builder.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    I think I'm the opposite of addicted. I've put mods in my game twice and I liked them. The mods I tried were one that removed happy decor buffs and then MC command center, but when the next patch came I just went back to vanilla straight away. I also tried a bit of maxis matched CC at one point, but I don't feel the need for that anymore since we got the gender patch and there are so many styles in packs.

When I played TS2 I used to recolour some dresses etc. myself and later I also downloaded some. I tried some other mods too, but not extensively. It was at the point when I was kind of bored with the game and I had a long sims break after that phase. When I got the UC I played vanilla again.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,406 Member
    I've been using mods and CC since TS2. I don't know if I'd say that I'm addicted, but it is definitely something that I enjoy having in the game to make them more suited to what I like.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I didn't get into using mods until the last couple of years of TS3. Once I discovered them, I couldn't stop adding them to my game. Near the end of the game's lifespan, TS3 actually became unplayable for me because of the mods. It would always freeze and crash, and I grew impatient with my 30+ minute loading time.
    So instead of losing my stubbornness of not removing any of my mods, I gave the game up altogether, because I thought it would be boring playing without them.

But then when TS4 came out, I decided that I didn't want to destroy my game with mods like I had TS3...so I played without for a whole 5 months. Then I went to MTS one day just to see what type of mods there were, and my mod-addiction once again rose and spiraled out of control!

Nowadays, I'm a lot better about mod-use. I don't install every single one that I find interesting, so the ones I do use are mostly there so that I have more control over the game (like advanced debug, UI cheats, pregnancy mega mod, etc.).

Now, while I can't say that TS3 or TS4 would be unplayable for me without mods, they do greatly improve the games and I rely on them heavily.
    I know I abandoned TS3 for those reasons, and nearly left TS4 for a single mod breaking, but if I continued to play TS4, and I'm sure that if I returned to TS3 without mods, I'd enjoy them just like I did when I first started playing.