Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why are people so harsh on LGR's review of this city life.

Comments

• Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Eh. I don't know. I guess they felt that he was being too blunt with his review? Anyway, I can see the path this thread is going to take. Arguments between Late Night, Apartment Life, and City Living.

I'll just say this. TS3 Apartments< TS4 Apartments< TS2 Apartments. And before any of you say "but we can build apartments in TS3!" Eh, no. You can build shells for your apartments, actually one apartment. So in reality you're building a house for your apartment, except you can literally only go into one part of it. Yeah, that sounds better than the unebuildable shells with more than one apartment per shell isn't it?
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2016
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    While I personally disregard LGR for employing fallacies designed to preemptively dismiss any who would potentially disagree, I have no problem with any YouTuber being a YouTuber and making videos. My proverbial eye rolling stems from the sort of slavish dedication that some adhere to in regard to his content. It is as though his words are written on stone tablets and carried in golden arks.
    Actually it happens on a daily basis on these boards dismissing of opinions whether for or against the Sims 4. There is at least one thread given per day how people should be quiet, should go away, stop playing the game, stop taking pictures of the game, stop having the Sims 4 avatar, be fired, etc. Happens off of forums all the time too through comments on sites. The proof is in the pudding and this thread alone shows dismissing LGR's videos because people don't agree with him. eg, sorry OPs but this was the one from today: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/903926/why-do-people-who-dislike-the-game-play-it/

@HIFreeBirdIH Yeah I'd say that is about right with apartments too and though I won't be getting CL, it does have better apartments from the looks of it. I prefer multiple Sims living in an apartment together.

Anyway, I think people don't like him because he states both the pros and cons of all the Sims games. People tend to get offended when cons are mentioned with regards to their favorite iteration. Personally I'm fine when cons are brought out because there isn't one single game is is 100% perfect from any system or generation since gaming started. There is a difference between a critic and a fan site anyways. Some prefer one over the other and some prefer both. But like shown here even fan sites can be critics at times. I enjoyed that article except I didn't agree with all of it like I don't always agree with everything LGR says either.

Breaks out dictionary to make it easier for others to understand. :) Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/

Fallacy: " a wrong belief : a false or mistaken idea
    : the quality of being false or wrong".
    Preemptive: "done to stop an unwanted act by another group, country, etc., from happening".
    Proverbial "of, relating to, or resembling a proverb
    : commonly spoken of : widely known".
    Slavish: "copying or following someone or something completely without any attempt to be original or independent".

If anyone wants to know what depth is, LGR's review is a good example of it. Everything has a positive and negative side and LGR's reviews shows he has both yin and yang. It has both good and bad and everything in between. Like a kiddie pool is shallow, but a regular pool is deep.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    Being harsh?

Heck, I'm seeing people praise him for being smart and not going gaga over this pack, which all the other reviewers are doing.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Being harsh?

Heck, I'm seeing people praise him for being smart and not going gaga over this pack, which all the other reviewers are doing.

Yeah I have to agree. I didn't think his review was harsh at all. I never trust a review that doesn't point out anything negative anyway. In that case it is just marketing PR.
  • Options
    stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    edited November 2016
    I have always loved his sims 3 and sims 4 reviews lol.
    Apparently people seem to have conveniently forgotten that he was the same way with his sims 3 reviews. :o

Anyway before I buy something I always do my research, I watch LP's for games I might want, stream music before purchasing the album, view the specs of the phone or Laptop I am purchasing and so on. His reviews go straight to the point and gives me pros and cons of the product.

Also let me post the description of his channel
    Description
    Opinionated reviews, commentary, and snark on games and more.

Retro PC games, The Sims, Oddware, thrifting!
    Cr. [x]
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    I can not say I have seen this before but i am wondering why are people being so harsh towards LGR right now like I felt like his review was honest and real and he talked about what he liked and what he did not like. like what is the problem.

Cause some people think the EP is amazing while LGR see it for what it is, LGR want more depth, the pack might look beautiful, but it offer no depth and not much new gameplay. Some people don't care about gameplay and are happy with flashy clothes and new meals, while some others want more gameplay and more depth to the game.

And that is the opinion of you, LGR, and others that think this EP is all looks and no depth. However, it's just that, an opinion. And that's why his review is probably getting so much hate because his words made it sound like his opinion is law when it isn't. Quite frankly, I'm very happy with this new EP and think it adds lots that has enriched my gameplay.

No, the pack have no depth and it's a fact, that you like the fact or not, IS your opinion. Loving or hating the pack is a matter of opinion. A lot of people don't know what in game depth mean, same for gameplay, does the pack offer more story telling? For sure, but it doesn't add much gameplay and no depth for sure, that's not an opinion, those are facts. Do not mix story telling, depth and gameplay. The best example is go watch his video if you haven't, at the start when he show the city, it's look nice, true, but he turn the camera around, show the cars and everything and from ALL of that? There's only a single building you can go in, that's what he means by all looks and no depth.

LGR saying CL doesn't add depth and gameplay is a fact, him saying he doesn't like it IS his opinion.

People do know by now that if LGR doesn't like something he will be clear about it, that's mainly why people appreciate his reviews, he's honest, the difference with CL is people see that pack as amazing and though for sure that LGR would LOVE it and then when he said that it's not what he was looking for people felt betrayed or something, how dare someone they look up to no think the same way they do?

You might be happy with the pack and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone NEED to love it as much as you do, that doesn't mean he's wrong about what he's saying.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I see that this thread has been busy! :smiley:

Right a few people wonder what 'depth' is missing in CL compared to LN.

Ok, I said this before, I might have even said it in this thread but in Bridgeport you could go anywhere, literally anywhere. Clubs, parks, other apartments an you could edit them at free will. Place a few lots down if you run out of space,.

You might have trouble visiting celebrities houses because they have security gates so you would need to make friends with them. Part of the fun of the game I guess.

Yeah I will admit it how annoying it was when the celebrity status used to spread, that was an oversight with the developers and they actually later fixed that giving the player the ability to remove the points in a later patch through testingcheatsenabled but until then, Twallen had already fixed it in a mod which was actually the reason why I first tried his mods in the first place.

Yeah car spawning was an issue with LN, but that was an oversight again which was later fixed, after Twallen fixed it of course. But at least we could actually drive cars and driving over that bridge in Bridgeport for the first time was one of the biggest 'wow moments' from TS3 for me.

Now I haven't played CL and I have no intention of doing so either. I need the TS4 base first of course but why should I fork my money out for it when I already tried it with the Free Trial and decided that it wasn't the game for me?

Now if people want to knock TS3 down to make TS4 look greater than go ahead and try but TS3 will always get up more bigger than before. Just head over to the TS3 GD, we are all showing pictures of our game, a game that has a lot of depth and has provided hours of endless entertainment :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I can only speak for myself here. I love LGR, I usually love his reviews. I just felt that with this one he really wasn't interested, and as a result this review was a little bland. Normally he engages more with the content. I'm not going to rip him to shreds over it though.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2016
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    While I personally disregard LGR for employing fallacies designed to preemptively dismiss any who would potentially disagree, I have no problem with any YouTuber being a YouTuber and making videos. My proverbial eye rolling stems from the sort of slavish dedication that some adhere to in regard to his content. It is as though his words are written on stone tablets and carried in golden arks.

yeah i kind of notice that those with a voice are told to kind of stop reviewing the game if they dont like it and those who do not have a voice are told if you do not like it do not buy the game. its like anyone complaining or not liking the game ruins liking the game for them and they just do not want to hear it. granted i have issues with the game myself but i still will buy it because i think there is still worth in this game but that does not mean i think its a perfect great game and that things need to be said because i feel like things need to be said and even if you do not agree can you at least understand how how i feel rather then become nutreal and tell me to basically do the same thing to solve all my problems...

I see that much the same as you. I think the critical voices are extremely important for EA to listen to and it annoys me to no end when people are being told off for "being negative" because a lot of what they, and sometimes myself (heuheu), have to say are valuable, constructive criticisms and not just bashing for bashing's sake. Personally, yes, I find that there's still a lot they should fix, or add to the game, but I can still enjoy it every now & then and feel like CL added a layer to professions that I, for one, desperately wanted to see. But just because I can find enjoyment in this, that doesn't suddenly mean that those who don't are just being divisive for no reason. I still maintain that the sims should cater to as many playstyles as possible, if not all of them, especially those that were possible in previous games as well, and that they need to give people sufficient tools to bring all kinds of stories to live. Just because it's okay for some of our playstyles, doesn't meant it's okay for everyone's and that's actually very problematic. Saying that isn't insulting anyone, and we have to defend everyone's right to speak their mind when it comes to the sims, so that the devs don't forget there's more than 1 or 2 types of players.
  • Options
    MinkFurMinkFur Posts: 164 Member
    edited November 2016
    Wow, i never thought his review was different than any other review he's done, so i don't know why they're so harsh. He was the same way for the sims 3 reviews. To me, it seems like the people who really like the sims 4 are the ones that are hurt or upset by his review. A good game reviewer should be able to see a game's flaws for what they are. LGR does that, he explains the good and bad, he's done the exact same with the sims 3 reviews. There wasn't an uproar when he trashed katy perry sweet treats, and i'm sure there are people who loved it. If he was going to trash the sims 4, he'd do it and we'd know it.
    newsig_zps30nrzgoc.png
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I like to watch LGR reviews although I enjoy TS4 myself. His reviews are pretty much the only ones I watch, I might check another one if I feel like it but couldn't name another reviewer. What someone says in a review doesn't affect my buying decision, because they're not me and don't know what I like. I'm also not sure who is being harsh at LGR, because I haven't seen anything like that.
  • Options
    hopeybluehopeyblue Posts: 35 Member
    I watched the video and I felt he was truly honest. If you saw any other YouTuber they were saying things such as "This is so amazing" "I love this" or "this is so great" and yeah there are a ton of people who love the game but to me some of that isn't authentic. I am one that plays every sims game no matter what, but I know that this game isn't perfect and there are a lot of things lacking in it. To me, some simmer YouTubers don't acknowledge what's missing and what could have made it better so you can't trust their opinion. It's very biased. LGR has always been one to talk about what's missing in a pack EVEN the ones he really really enjoyed (i.e. TS3 seasons and Late Night). I don't have a problem with his reviews. I think they're done well and I think his dry humor also gives off the impression that he hates the game and is really negative but that's just his personality.

Couldn't agree more. I'd always trust LGRs opinion because he doesn't come across as trying to please the sims creators, perhaps it was why it took EA so long to send him free/early copies to review. I like the other Youtubers, but some obviously have business connections or just don't want to offend the developers. That's fine, and positivity is great but LGR definitely calls out what people are disappointed by or want from the game.
  • Options
    I can only speak for myself here. I love LGR, I usually love his reviews. I just felt that with this one he really wasn't interested, and as a result this review was a little bland. Normally he engages more with the content. I'm not going to rip him to shreds over it though.

Maybe the review was bland cause the pack is bland. xD
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Everyone else managed to get more than a 12 minute video out about it. There was literally no enthusiasm to the review at all. It seemed like it was done out of duress.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Scobre wrote: »
    I can not say I have seen this before but i am wondering why are people being so harsh towards LGR right now like I felt like his review was honest and real and he talked about what he liked and what he did not like. like what is the problem.

Cause some people think the EP is amazing while LGR see it for what it is, LGR want more depth, the pack might look beautiful, but it offer no depth and not much new gameplay. Some people don't care about gameplay and are happy with flashy clothes and new meals, while some others want more gameplay and more depth to the game.

And that is the opinion of you, LGR, and others that think this EP is all looks and no depth. However, it's just that, an opinion. And that's why his review is probably getting so much hate because his words made it sound like his opinion is law when it isn't. Quite frankly, I'm very happy with this new EP and think it adds lots that has enriched my gameplay.

No, the pack have no depth and it's a fact, that you like the fact or not, IS your opinion. Loving or hating the pack is a matter of opinion. A lot of people don't know what in game depth mean, same for gameplay, does the pack offer more story telling? For sure, but it doesn't add much gameplay and no depth for sure, that's not an opinion, those are facts. Do not mix story telling, depth and gameplay. The best example is go watch his video if you haven't, at the start when he show the city, it's look nice, true, but he turn the camera around, show the cars and everything and from ALL of that? There's only a single building you can go in, that's what he means by all looks and no depth.

LGR saying CL doesn't add depth and gameplay is a fact, him saying he doesn't like it IS his opinion.

People do know by now that if LGR doesn't like something he will be clear about it, that's mainly why people appreciate his reviews, he's honest, the difference with CL is people see that pack as amazing and though for sure that LGR would LOVE it and then when he said that it's not what he was looking for people felt betrayed or something, how dare someone they look up to no think the same way they do?

You might be happy with the pack and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone NEED to love it as much as you do, that doesn't mean he's wrong about what he's saying.
    Sorry I have to disagree with you there. Nothing we say is considered fact whether for or against the Sims. The game lacking depth is a subjective opinion that Rachybop, Carl, LGR, and others share. Even the majority/minority claims are not facts, but opinions. Difference between objective and subjective: https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/objective-subjective/ The Sims 4 being the fourth iteration of the main Sims series is a fact (not counting side games). The Sims 4 being the best or worst Sims game in the series is a subjective opinion.

Read my post again, here lemme quote myself to save you time:

''LGR saying CL doesn't add depth and gameplay is a fact, him saying he doesn't like it IS his opinion.''

Depth in a game isn't an opinion, neither gameplay, at the limit story telling could be for the fact that some people have a lot of imagination and could make out stories out of any games they play even Tetris, but story telling=/=depth, specially for the sims since the story telling is pretty much made by ourselves.

Edit: I just want to explain myself better, I'm not saying that something is a fact cause LGR said it as not everything he says are facts, but his reviews are his opinions of the pack content (or lack of content in this case). The pack content is pretty much the facts.
    Post edited by MissCherie on
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited November 2016
    People lack tolerance. I personally like his honest opinion and I can disagree and agree with him. There are many times that he likes SPs that I don't really care for, but I respect his opinion.

LGR is known for being straight forward he won't sugar coat anything so if people can't handle it then maybe they should just watch YouTubers that love the game.

Also if people think it's bland it might be cause LGR might be bored of the game. For example CL is the first EP I actually like but it doesn't drive me crazy enough to play for hours like I used to with other sim games. I would even say that I'm a bit bored now cause the game is missing so much that it makes it hard to actually enjoy expansion packs.

So to sum it up the base game is so bland that expansion packs can't really expand much cause they are built on a very weak platform
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    His video's make me chuckle and he's very honest and to the point but that's his views, there's no way he's trying to deter anyone away from buying this EP, he(LGR) does not do this. It's up to every individual to choose whether you want this game or not, give it a go and if you're not completely satisfied with it, then at least you had a go at playing it. No-one's stopping you at not buying the game, it's entirely up to each individual.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    They're being harsh because this expansion is a last ditch effort to save this particular iteration of the sims franchise and people are desperate for it to succeed even at a mediocre level.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that he talks about depth, even when his main gameplay consists of toilet stores and sims in clown costumes. I also don't get where he sees the depth in late night as a comparison to city living. The apartments had even less features, the streets were emty and don't get me startet on the celebrity system.
    toilet stores and sims in clown costumes are funny, i think that's the vibe TS4 was going for, imo.

oh look, another "let's list things 3 did wrong to make 4 look better in comparison" comment.

I did not have this intention, but he praised late night and both expansions have almost the same theme. I just want to know which "depth" in late night is missing in city living

the fact that he says "this ep is just another skin to add on the base game" says it all to me. if you look at the surrounding in san myshuno how much of that is actually accessible? most of the buildings are just shells with no gameplay.

i'm thinking he feels that just like the rest of the towns in ts4, everything feels "disconnected".

How many building in bridgeport were rabbit holes? You also have not answered the question which "depth" in late night is missing in city living

rabbit holes > inaccessible shells

how many of city livings features are available outside of san myshuno? that's my answer.

Stop right there! How could you say such a thing? Excluding apartments and festivals, everything else is available in other worlds, like lot traits karaoke bars, selling your own stuff and performing on the streets, food stalls, street art, basketball, arts centers, the new careers, all of that is available to every single world! How do you like this answer?

Also, since we are talking about it, TS3 is the one that feels disconnected. If you live in another world, bridgeport is simply inexistent. If you want to live in the big city, it's bridgeport or nothing and you can't go anywhere else, whereas any save in TS4 has all the worlds, and you can live in newcrest and go to a karaoke bar in the city in the afternoon, and finish the night by the pool club in willow creek! This is not the definition of disconnected!

Um...you do know you can download or create any type of world that you want? Mods allow you to travel and towards the end, the game also did. But in TS3, no matter what world you played in, you could always add more lots to it. You were not constrained. There were actually only two official worlds I have ever played in, Sunset Valley and Aurora Skies. When I bought EP's, it was mostly to be able to fill in my own world with all the new goodies. Heck, I hate supernaturals, but that pack added some of the best content to the game (and the ability to turn off the supernaturals).

My point is, tolerance levels for the game are what you can make of it. Obviously, you are not the type to create things for your game and so having worlds that are disconnected would affect your opinion of the game. I do create and not being able to create the world in my style greatly impacts my opinion of TS4. For example, I HATE (with a bloody passion) deserts. I will never ever ever use that world. Wasted space. I also don't like places that aren't cities. So I have a couple of worlds in TS4 that just don't get used. I would prefer to be able to decide the setting of my game like I have been able to do with all of the previous games.

And as for 4, I have read that some things are available outside of San Myshuno, but they do not work the same way. The food cart doesn't spawn an NPC, instead you have to hire one. So if you want to buy something at the park, first shell out §100 to hire someone and then buy that §3 thing you wanted. Not all lot traits are available either. It is not all rainbows and sunshine. And the two biggest features of the pack are not available in other worlds. That means that from here on out, past content and future content will never be cohesive with the way the city works.
  • Options
    blunderwoman727blunderwoman727 Posts: 102 Member
    This is so funny to me because when I saw LGR's review on City Living, I thought he was pretty easy on it! I feel that the fact that apartments can't be built elsewhere deserved an hour long rant...but that's just me!

I think some people are just upset that he's not praising the EP on bended knee. People just want to feel validated for liking what they do and some need help convincing themselves that what they spent money on is great.

For me, LGR is the only reviewer I trust when it comes to reviews on the Sims. Throughout the years I've tried listening to other reviewers...and I don't know what everyone else has been running into but the super high pitched, over the top feigned excitement accompanied by gasps and shrieks at even the most mundane things was just too much for me.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    This is so funny to me because when I saw LGR's review on City Living, I thought he was pretty easy on it! I feel that the fact that apartments can't be built elsewhere deserved an hour long rant...but that's just me!

I think some people are just upset that he's not praising the EP on bended knee. People just want to feel validated for liking what they do and some need help convincing themselves that what they spent money on is great.

For me, LGR is the only reviewer I trust when it comes to reviews on the Sims. Throughout the years I've tried listening to other reviewers...and I don't know what everyone else has been running into but the super high pitched, over the top feigned excitement accompanied by gasps and shrieks at even the most mundane things was just too much for me.

I couldn't agree more with you. I've tried watching a lot of other reviews and I've only been able to watch less than handful of them. It doesn't matter to me if they like the game they are reviewing or not. I like to listen to a reviewer that has a voice that doesn't split my skull with it's shrillness, they have the ability to put a cohesive video together and they don't come across as a squealing fan boy/girl.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited November 2016
    Arletta wrote: »

Everyone else managed to get more than a 12 minute video out about it. There was literally no enthusiasm to the review at all. It seemed like it was done out of duress.

You know you don't have to subscribe or watch LGR? It's all optional.

Why should other people's approach or style in their channel have any meaning to the way he runs his channel?! It's his channel and he should run it as he sees fit.

Maybe he's not that enthused about it. So? That's allowed as much as gushing love reviews are. It's however it suits the individual. It would be wrong for him to feign enthusiasm that isn't there. It's why hes kept EA at arms length. So he can feel able to speak his mind and keep the honest reputation he has among his followers. He's not just around to serve sims customers. He is an influencer who is based in a wider base of interest for his channel than just sims so he has a following based on multiple aspects.

I don't worship him. Anyone claiming is being absurd. People follow channels they enjoy for many reasons but mostly because they find them entertaining. It takes a lot of work to run a channel and I appreciate his work. Don't agree with him all the time, but he's entertaining. Doesn't influence my purchasing decisions though because our play styles differ hugely.

I don't need a lecture.

I watch so little reviews and Let's Plays for The Sims that it's negligable. Three since CL released. Two of which I didn't enjoy, one of which I did. We were asked an opinon. I gave an opinion. If I had been asked for an opinion on the others I would've given those too. You don't like it, that's fine, but at least base it on what I said, not what I didn't.

If he didn't seem enthusiastic and it seemed short, I'm going to say that. I didn't say he should be ethused if that's not what he felt. I wouldn't expect 'happy happy joy joy' if somebody doesn't feel that way, and I've never said anybody worshipped him.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top