Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why are people so harsh on LGR's review of this city life.

Comments

• Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that he talks about depth, even when his main gameplay consists of toilet stores and sims in clown costumes. I also don't get where he sees the depth in late night as a comparison to city living. The apartments had even less features, the streets were emty and don't get me startet on the celebrity system.
    toilet stores and sims in clown costumes are funny, i think that's the vibe TS4 was going for, imo.

oh look, another "let's list things 3 did wrong to make 4 look better in comparison" comment.

I did not have this intention, but he praised late night and both expansions have almost the same theme. I just want to know which "depth" in late night is missing in city living

the fact that he says "this ep is just another skin to add on the base game" says it all to me. if you look at the surrounding in san myshuno how much of that is actually accessible? most of the buildings are just shells with no gameplay.

i'm thinking he feels that just like the rest of the towns in ts4, everything feels "disconnected".

How many building in bridgeport were rabbit holes? You also have not answered the question which "depth" in late night is missing in city living
  • Options
    NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member
    I like his reviews but not his assumption (made in the video 2 years of meh) that possibly people who enjoy TS4 haven't played the series for long - it feels alienating to me as a viewer. I've played since TS1 Hot Date expansion was released, and for me the iteration that I personally dislike most/enjoyed the least is TS3. I think it comes down to preferences even though I agree that someone who has played longer/more versions has more to compare the current version to.
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    I can not say I have seen this before but i am wondering why are people being so harsh towards LGR right now like I felt like his review was honest and real and he talked about what he liked and what he did not like. like what is the problem.

Cause some people think the EP is amazing while LGR see it for what it is, LGR want more depth, the pack might look beautiful, but it offer no depth and not much new gameplay. Some people don't care about gameplay and are happy with flashy clothes and new meals, while some others want more gameplay and more depth to the game.

And that is the opinion of you, LGR, and others that think this EP is all looks and no depth. However, it's just that, an opinion. And that's why his review is probably getting so much hate because his words made it sound like his opinion is law when it isn't. Quite frankly, I'm very happy with this new EP and think it adds lots that has enriched my gameplay.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Anyone who makes a game review for fun or profit are, at some point, going to have their reviews reviewed by the game players. I've lived long enough to know that some (not saying LGR) become popular and feel the need to stay popular by saying what the people want to hear.

The phrase of late seems to be "more depth". But no one ever says what "more depth" actually means. This is not a trap, I honestly want to know what "more depth" consists of. How can they add it if you don't explain what it is you want. So, please explain this to me so I can know what is missing. Maybe, once it's explained, I might think the game needs more depth too.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited November 2016
    I think it's ridiculous that he talks about depth, even when his main gameplay consists of toilet stores and sims in clown costumes. I also don't get where he sees the depth in late night as a comparison to city living. The apartments had even less features, the streets were emty and don't get me startet on the celebrity system.

Celebrity system added some good perks for it, that you can't get any other past method wise (unlike lot traits). You could get discounts, new reward stuff, get some new objects that are exclusively to that EP, bouncer letting you in vip spots, ect. Of course they were some bad and annoying stuff, like paparazzi and public humilation, but those challenges what makes the game more interesting to most simmers. Fail to see how apartments "had even less features", as to me they in different games are equality matched with each other by having only one ,but different con (no interactable neighbors ~ no plotting down and building the apartment from scratch).
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member

Celebrity system added some good perks for it, that you can't get any other past method wise (unlike lot traits). You could get discounts, new reward stuff, get some new objects that are exclusively to that EP, bouncer letting you in vip spots, ect. Of course they were some bad and annoying stuff, like paparazzi and public humilation, but those challenges what makes the game more interesting to most simmers. Fail to see how apartments "had even less features", as to me they in different games are equality matched with each other by having only one ,but different con (no interactable neighbors ~ no plotting down and building the apartment from scratch).

And for lot traits - they don't look much of a game changing thing in the game. Most of them just offer skills boost, which already are executable base game wises (such as the Jasmine event).
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    He clearly dislikes The Sims 4, everything he reviews from it will all say the same negative stuff over and over again. He's just doing it for the attention at this point, I think. It stopped being constructive criticism long ago.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    edited November 2016
    MissCherie wrote: »
    I can not say I have seen this before but i am wondering why are people being so harsh towards LGR right now like I felt like his review was honest and real and he talked about what he liked and what he did not like. like what is the problem.

Cause some people think the EP is amazing while LGR see it for what it is, LGR want more depth, the pack might look beautiful, but it offer no depth and not much new gameplay. Some people don't care about gameplay and are happy with flashy clothes and new meals, while some others want more gameplay and more depth to the game.

And that is the opinion of you, LGR, and others that think this EP is all looks and no depth. However, it's just that, an opinion. And that's why his review is probably getting so much hate because his words made it sound like his opinion is law when it isn't. Quite frankly, I'm very happy with this new EP and think it adds lots that has enriched my gameplay.

lol he did not make his opinion sound like law, that's all on the simmers in here's doing. Stating your opinion and how you see something isn't making your opinion sound like law otherwise you and every person in this forum attacking LGR are actually guilty of it too. Look at your language, y'all are acting childish imo. Because it is childish to throw a fit over someone else having an opinion that isn't yours. If you don't care about his opinion and think he's wrong, why are you here? Go play your game. No one here is making anyone listen to LGR or to participate in this thread.
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Anyone who makes a game review for fun or profit are, at some point, going to have their reviews reviewed by the game players. I've lived long enough to know that some (not saying LGR) become popular and feel the need to stay popular by saying what the people want to hear.

The phrase of late seems to be "more depth". But no one ever says what "more depth" actually means. This is not a trap, I honestly want to know what "more depth" consists of. How can they add it if you don't explain what it is you want. So, please explain this to me so I can know what is missing. Maybe, once it's explained, I might think the game needs more depth too.

I would say that phrase can also be said about the people who are giving it rave reviews. Who is right? Perhaps its possible that neither is actually right or wrong. That's the point. People here want to paint LGR as a cop-out when that's honestly NOT fair. He decided *not* to fly out on EA dime so you could trust his review was his own and now people are still saying he's beholden to what others think/feel. If you truly believe he's "selling out" because others tell him its a bad game you obviously have never watched his other reviews. That was 100% how he felt and he's been feeling this way pretty much since the first expansion. Arguing people's feelings just shows *exactly* my point. You can't argue people's feelings on something because you aren't them. Only LGR knows his intentions.

Beyond that what about Carl? He has loved this game franchise for years and has come out with tons of guides for it. You know what? Even Carl said the same things. Is he just a puppet of public opinion too? At some point the whole 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing sounds crazy and ridiculous. There is no made up conspiracy here. There are simply three camps of people, people who love the game, those who are meh, and those who don't like it. Nothing more than that. The other camps are allowed to lobby for a game they want. Fighting against it seems stupid if you actually love the game as you claim because it does nothing to hurt you in any way. You are already getting what you want.

If you really want that answer then go to any of the criticism threads, read, keep an open mind, and don't immediately start telling us how wrong we are for how we feel about the game. No one wants to talk to someone if all they are going to do is argue that we are wrong about how we feel. And it is pointless.
  • Options
    mrswoo5mrswoo5 Posts: 2,143 Member
    He clearly dislikes The Sims 4, everything he reviews from it will all say the same negative stuff over and over again. He's just doing it for the attention at this point, I think. It stopped being constructive criticism long ago.

I disagree I think he is just frustrated like a lot of sims fans are about the way the game seems to be heading.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

more depth to me, is more ways to play, plus actual consequences.
    Depth in this expansion:

lot traits could have been connected to unique interactions and not just moodlets. Good schools could have meant actual private schools in vicinity and the ability to invite the headmaster to get accepted. Fast internet could have unlocked options on the computer than only those living on a lot with fast internet would have. Instead most of them is just a permanent buff. <- more ways to play

apartments could have been played buildable or at the very least placeable in other neighbourhoods. This adds depth into building tools available and does not make this expansion obsolete the moment a new one releases. <- more ways to build

festivals should offer unique gameplay only available in festivals and not just building rockets, or performing pranks on each other. Flea market could have sold unique objects, or at least uniquely coloured objects. <- unique to expansion interactions

street art could have lead to actual policemen being introduced in this pack as it is something, well, illegal. Getting arrested for street art is quite common, unless you're famous, however there are no consequences tied to the skill in The Sims 4. Even defacing other peoples art does nothing. <- consequences, depth to a skill

edit: this wouldn't have fixed the base game, but it would have made the expansion not a 2, but a 10 for me. Heck I could live with only lot traits, or only apartments done right. I'm also not answering this for the whole community, but only providing an answer on my own behalf.

Thank you for responding.

I like the idea of lot traits being more connected to game play other than a moodlet. Maybe in a school pack, we'll get the headmaster back with a special extra for the good school trait like an easier entrance requirement.

I am a builder so not being able to build apartments was a huge blow, but I do like the apartments in the game and still hope that all the apartments I have already built, may still someday be actual apartments.

I haven't played any festivals yet, but it would have been nice if there were at least one special interaction just for each festival. A Star Wars light saber fight would have been cool so your sim could challenge or be challenged to a fight. They do have the surprise wedding at the romance festival.

Street art is great but it should be illegal to tag the streets. If not the police, at least bring back Old lady Crumplebottom and her handbag. If the original tagger catches you defacing or tagging over their art, they could fight you and there would be a possibility of ending up with a spray painted face.

Yes, there could have been more and maybe I shouldn't be "satisfied" with the game as is, but I am enjoying the game and having fun putting all the plans I thought up before the release, into action now after release. Maybe I'll become bored, maybe not.

• Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited November 2016
    I think that there is no way he is liking The Sims 4, so his review is almost a caricature. I for example, was amazed and super immersed in san myshuno, drolling at the smoke coming out of the sewer cover on the street and little details like that. Meanwhile he puts the camera in the corner of the world clipping trough the distant buildings saying how it's a shallow set dressing. He's just out of touch with me and people that play TS4. We get it, LGR, TS4 is not TS3 open world, so what? It is what it is! I still get immersed for accepting the game for what it is! All of his TS4 reviews are criticisms of TS4 in general and he always compares it to TS3, something it is not. Even if the expansion was great, he'd say it is meh, because he simply don't like TS4 at all! His reviews have been off putting to me, because it's just disappointment and criticism while to my eyes the expansion has a lot of really cool stuff that I love and makes me really excited.
    Post edited by NeonHighways on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    toilet stores and sims in clown costumes are funny, i think that's the vibe TS4 was going for, imo.

oh look, another "let's list things 3 did wrong to make 4 look better in comparison" comment.

I did not have this intention, but he praised late night and both expansions have almost the same theme. I just want to know which "depth" in late night is missing in city living

the fact that he says "this ep is just another skin to add on the base game" says it all to me. if you look at the surrounding in san myshuno how much of that is actually accessible? most of the buildings are just shells with no gameplay.

i'm thinking he feels that just like the rest of the towns in ts4, everything feels "disconnected".

How many building in bridgeport were rabbit holes? You also have not answered the question which "depth" in late night is missing in city living

rabbit holes > inaccessible shells

how many of city livings features are available outside of san myshuno? that's my answer.

Stop right there! How could you say such a thing? Excluding apartments and festivals, everything else is available in other worlds, like lot traits karaoke bars, selling your own stuff and performing on the streets, food stalls, street art, basketball, arts centers, the new careers, all of that is available to every single world! How do you like this answer?

Also, since we are talking about it, TS3 is the one that feels disconnected. If you live in another world, bridgeport is simply inexistent. If you want to live in the big city, it's bridgeport or nothing and you can't go anywhere else, whereas any save in TS4 has all the worlds, and you can live in newcrest and go to a karaoke bar in the city in the afternoon, and finish the night by the pool club in willow creek! This is not the definition of disconnected!
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    They're harsh on anyone who isn't talking about how great the game is each chance they get. I'm not buying anything else for it even if it's on sale
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

how many of city livings features are available outside of san myshuno? that's my answer.

Stop right there! How could you say such a thing? Excluding apartments and festivals, everything else is available in other worlds, like lot traits karaoke bars, selling your own stuff and performing on the streets, food stalls, street art, basketball, arts centers, the new careers, all of that is available to every single world! How do you like this answer?

Also, since we are talking about it, TS3 is the one that feels disconnected. If you live in another world, bridgeport is simply inexistent. If you want to live in the big city, it's bridgeport or nothing and you can't go anywhere else, whereas any save in TS4 has all the worlds, and you can live in newcrest and go to a karaoke bar in the city in the afternoon, and finish the night by the pool club in willow creek! This is not the definition of disconnected!

i should've re-worded my response to "how many of city livings main features are available outside of san myshuno?".
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    They're harsh on anyone who isn't talking about how great the game is each chance they get. I'm not buying anything else for it even if it's on sale

yeah well i mean its not that great. i bought and i am playing it but i also think its not that great. i do think some stuff can be enjoyed in the game but that is how i feel overall about the game. and the sate of the game does break my heart and the fact that is apparently the best they could do within a year of working on it kind of breaks my heart. like personally i really think the devs need to find a way to at the very least reevaluate the state of the game right now rather then foucs on all the people who say this game is amazing and the worst they can say is that dress is scary.
  • Options

i should've re-worded my response to "how many of city livings main features are available outside of san myshuno?".

Festivals are only a tiny part of what you would do troughout your gameplay. The other features affect your life more and can be used in any world. Also, festivals being exclusive to san myshuno is irrelevant, even if you live in another world you can be notified of a festival and go there, just like you'd go to a club or any other lot when you are at home. In TS4 you aren't restricted in only living in a single world, anyone can go to san myshuno at any time. Anyone could go to downtown at any time in TS2 too, it's the same deal.

I'm not happy that we can't build apartments anywhere we please, but if you have City Living you will always have apartments at your disposal there.

• Options
    OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    Just because someone isn't saying that the game is amazing and flawless doesn't mean they're honest, or a good reviewer.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    People have different opinions and not one opinion is necessarily right or wrong. I liked his review and agreed with it but it does not mean I was right or wrong. I do not think LGR is going to sweat over some people who disagree with him. When I make a opinion should I care how the next person think about a opinion I make? No, because after all is said and done it is all about me and what I like and dislike as long as I am not putting someone down because of their opinion.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member

Festivals are only a tiny part of what you would do troughout your gameplay. The other features affect your life more and can be used in any world. Also, festivals being exclusive to san myshuno is irrelevant, even if you live in another world you can be notified of a festival and go there, just like you'd go to a club or any other lot when you are at home. In TS4 you aren't restricted in only living in a single world, anyone can go to san myshuno at any time. Anyone could go to downtown at any time in TS2 too, it's the same deal.

I'm not happy that we can't build apartments anywhere we please, but if you have City Living you will always have apartments at your disposal there.

i do give the game credit for that i can see myself enjoying the festivals and visting the city however the city feels too shallow for me to actually live there and i am happy living in the house my sims live currently but i am glad we do have the option to go to festivals from anywhere i give the game credit for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top