Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Sims & Modeling Chat Thread

Comments

• Options
    chellemh29chellemh29 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Angel_Zarr wrote: »
    Hi guys, some of you know me and some of you don't. But my name is Angel and I have been modeling in the past for a long time and hosting and judging as well. Before in the past I didn't realize it because I didn't expand beyond this community. But after I left in 2014/15, I started to join the art community, I have experience selling art, trading, critiquing, etc. with other artists and an active user on another forum! I didn't realize how terrible the theft was in the art industry, and now that I have come back to the forums I finally figured out that we have been stealing others art for our props, hair, backgrounds. Believe me there are MANY talented photoshoppers out there that do this for a living, but in this community I've seen people claim assignments, photos, backgrounds, hair, etc. as their own. The professionals and non-professionals that photoshop NON-Copyrighted stock photos, do their job correctly, meaning they ask for permission from the original creator & give credit. Don't get me wrong, everyone here is great but there are times when the theft gets overboard and people claim things they are not actually capable of and belong to someone else. I have personally dealt with art theft and to know someone is out there selling my work for profit, that I worked SO terribly and graciously hard on hurts like plum. This post was about the art theft and copyright of images, it only gets serious if you sell your artwork + claiming that a background you have is yours when it's a copyrighted stock from another creator; they can get into some tough legal work with you if it's serious. But everyone here should be safe, I just want everyone to know about this because I see right through it. Don't claim something that isn't yours, respect the original artists who gave you your model's scene background, give credit and sources.. I can't stand seeing this anymore and as you can tell other art forums take theft seriously; if this forum were to take it into their own hands things would be a lot more different from the modeling community. Anyway, this was a rant I wanted to get off my chest and let everyone know about this, I am not starting any fights, calling anyone out or offending anyone I just want you guys to be aware of the art you are creating.

No offense, but this is a bit of an exaggeration. There are literally hundreds of thousands of free to use/ unrestricted stocks and images on the internet that do not demand credit when used. I always check whenever I use a stock to make sure that it doesn't have any stipulations attached, so I really wouldn't be ok with the assumption that I was a thief for using it. Most stocks are shared so that they can be used by other artists in their work. People shouldn't be made to feel bad for using them. Especially in something as minuscule a modeling comp. I'm not saying theft doesn't happen, we all know it does, but you can't make those kinds of accusations without first knowing the source.
    Post edited by chellemh29 on
    yhCWXCP.gif
  • Options
    Jendowoz0612Jendowoz0612 Posts: 8,212 Member
    edited October 2016
    Doesn't it only become an issue mainly if you are using others work and then you sell it claiming it is your own or it could be if you publish it in any way, not sure? In these competitions, I don't think too many would be selling the works they create here, however if they do then it can become an issue. It's the same with my writing, even using someone else's lyrics or certain names or quotes something from someone else, in your books requires getting permission from the original author, photographer etc.

• Options
    EliavahEliavah Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited October 2016
    I dont think her main point was saying that you couldn't use stock :o? (i could be wrong) - but rather certain people are copy and pasting things/stocks claiming it as there own "hard editing work" etc. ^-^
    If you're not doing it then nothing to worry about yeah ? c:
    I know who she's talking about in terms of whose claiming things are they're own too cause when I came back and read some threads i saw that too. .

And she even said herself that it only gets *serious* if you start selling it ^-^ Maybe there was just a misunderstanding of her post - it happens .
    Professional artist - like Angel said use textures all the time from google - and stocks too. (Of course in consideration of the stocks - since their selling it they need to be wary - but ive seen some artist use textures just randomely snipped from google so i think that part is ohkayy . . see omrikoresh : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHuXbEBIUYedlAdODF4cv7A )

I can understand feeling upset though if you felt like it was a personal attack and you should speak how you feel always ^-^. But yeah I dont think Angel meant it like such is all ^^
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Edit- never mind.
    Post edited by chellemh29 on
    yhCWXCP.gif
  • Options
    @chellemh29 I'm sorry if I upsetted you or anything (wasn't my intentions but I understand if I still did anyways) - I didn't see the post before the edit but don't feel like I'd lash out on you or anything if you speak your mind :) Or message me privately whatever works ;-;
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Eliavah oh no don't worry about it Eli. I was going to say something in regards to interpretation, but to be honest my heart really just isn't up for a debate right now. I really don't spend enough time here to really be able to open my mouth anyways. :). I do use a lot of background props and stocks to enhance my edits sometimes, so I guess it did feel a little personal. Maybe that's just due to me feeling a bit emotional right now. No worries, and I'm sorry if I took anything you said out of context @Angel_Zarr .
    yhCWXCP.gif
  • Options
    @chellemh29 Oh no, I hope everything is ohkayy? If you need to talk my inbox is open. ;-; Otherwise i hope everything is ohkayy, and if not I hope they get better!
  • Options
    Angel_ZarrAngel_Zarr Posts: 4,489 Member
    @chellemh29 I don't mean any offense or accusation in that rant of mine. So no I didn't make false accusations, because it does happen. Theft does happen in the community and some experienced editors, models, professionals can easily spot out something that was stolen. I understand that there are hundreds of thousands but I was just talking about the integrity and hard work these artists put into their pieces and people (AND I'm talking like, 2012-2016, many different people; NOT JUST people right now) on this site start claiming things they have no credit for. I just wanted our new editors or models or people just starting out to keep in mind what things you are taking from the internet. I know it means nothing to people and my rant was exaggerated or useless but it was something important to me that I wanted people in this community to be aware of. This community, this modeling community is indeed small-scale compared to selling art or blasting it on another site claiming every bit is yours; I wouldn't have addressed it here if this community wasn't important to me. I was EXACTLY the same, I used copyrighted images, artwork, stocks, drawn backgrounds that dont belong to me and I never once credited the artist, I never said "oh yes that background was drawn by ___ she is so talented!" I guess it's just me looking back at how terribly selfish I was when I was here a while ago, I was horribly conceited and unoriginal and I stole from people's ideas rather than generating my own, creating my own background, etc. From one model to another I just wanted to let people know about this, no matter the importance or scale of the situation.

@Jendowoz0612 Yeah it only becomes a legal issue if you start selling/making profit. I doubt anyone does that here but yeah I just wanted people to know the extent to go to with taking backgrounds, stocks, hairs, etc. from the internet and just appreciate the original artist beforehand if that makes any sense.

• Options
    edited October 2016

@Angel_Zarr I understand what you are saying Angel, really I do, but let me ask you this.

30124203516_ecc568e20a_b.jpg

This is one of MY backgrounds. (though a rushed one to use as and example) I made it, and I claim it as mine. I used a stock window, and curtain, both of which were heavily edited by me. I found a pretty pattern that I broke apart and turned into the wall trim. I mad the wallpaper myself. I use a wood texture for the floor that I found on google, and I used brushed belonging to someone on deviant Art for the shading/lighting, webs, dust...exc. In your oppinion, am I entitled to claim ownership of this background, or do I have to give credit to everyone who's items found their way in? Some of them actually came from retail sites! (widow/curtain images) How would I even go about crediting them?
    yhCWXCP.gif
  • Options
    NeverfalleNeverfalle Posts: 377 Member
    How are my fave peeps today?
    Can't stop, won't stop.
  • Options
    GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    The forums have been awfully quiet lately! Folks are so busy with back to school and holidays are coming up!
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    I can't wait for the Holidays! It's my 2nd favorite time of year after July! The rest of the year is just meh haha
    http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
    http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive
  • Options
    Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member
    The forums have been awfully quiet lately! Folks are so busy with back to school and holidays are coming up!

SO TRUE!
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
  • Options
    NeverfalleNeverfalle Posts: 377 Member
    When you zoom in too much...
    WS3AV0h.png
    Can't stop, won't stop.
  • Options
    KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    I finished organizing and updating my cc+models on my drive...that was painful

a6f79b2efa62f28e69659fe0e89f29ff.gif

Now everything is backed up in case this laptop gives out.I suggest at the very least,put your models tray on a drive (I use google drive) in case something goes wrong.The sims tray importer was super helpful with exporting them and their cc.

Trust me,it saves a lot of time....rather than getting a new laptop and having to download everything,you can just import them in parts.
  • Options
    wbombjewbombje Posts: 1,244 Member
    That's really helpful advice @Kelebek ! I know I need to go ahead and do this soon, as my laptop is pretty old. I would hate to lose everything.

I don't know if I have posted in this thread yet, because I have been so busy. Just saying "Hi!" to everyone. I was pretty active over the summer, but I haven't been commenting as much as I would like to lately, due to a crazy, hectic RL schedule. I hope everyone is having an awesome day :)!
    Ayq5S7Y.png
  • Options
    Imma just leave this here. By kosmoskhaos *tip toes away*
    UrxoJTg.jpg
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    dafadollydafadolly Posts: 1,215 Member
    @strawberrigurl omg I love their sims!!! I haven't really checked tumblr since my computer went out but aghhh he is so cute *.* (the mother is one of the best sims I've ever seen... I love her)
  • Options
    NShippudenFanNShippudenFan Posts: 3,825 Member
    Just thought I'd pop in and say hi!

Hello everybody! :)
    LOVER of all things cosplay, anime, cats, Shadowhunters, and Sims 4!

Origin ID: Sims4Girl202

• Options
    wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    My CC folder is a mess. I don't even know where I'd start if I tried to organize it now. I kind of just want to delete everything and start a new.
    http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
    http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive
  • Options
    KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    wrswrs2 wrote: »
    My CC folder is a mess. I don't even know where I'd start if I tried to organize it now. I kind of just want to delete everything and start a new.

@wrswrs2 Don't,what you can do instead is start pulling out cc and filing it by artist and accessory.

Just go to your packages and pull-search

aa862df6654146d8b2f6cc82450509eb.png

and for cc just flowing around...make a poses folder,accessories,tattoos,ect.Most artists label everything,so it won't be as bad when you try and specify your search

If you really wanna start new,just put those folders aside,so at least they're there when you really need them

Don't throw out your cc,I did that and regretted it when I couldn't find the things I needed.And it's the entire process of looking for the cc again,or worse,the cc gets deleted.

• Options
    flubber32c4flubber32c4 Posts: 2,583 Member
    hello ladies!! <3

do you want to see the saddest pic that i ever made with my sims? ;)
  • Options
    hello ladies!! <3

of course!
    mWC1gjz.gif
  • Options
    flubber32c4flubber32c4 Posts: 2,583 Member
    hello ladies!! <3

of course!

ok !! ;) one moment ! i hope you have enough hankies !!