Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So this fits in CL theme & that doesn't ?

Comments

• Options
    amandaneunamandaneun Posts: 107 Member
    I think bands/singers/celebrities would've been a good idea; cities tend to be go-to places for aspiring artists, especially when it comes to busking so that definitely would've fit, imo. I also like the idea of bowling alleys and cinemas. Those're prime hangout spots, but maybe we'll see them in an upcoming University EP. I'm pretty sure that's when the bowling alleys got introduced in TS3. I remember there being cinemas (was it just one? don't remember) but I can't remember when that came, or if it was even from an EP.
    “... and when all the wars are over, a butterfly will still be beautiful.”
    ― Ruskin Bond, Scenes from a Writer's Life

large.jpg
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Frustrated with what? People not agreeing with your opinion and not liking your view, or the devs view? Part of life.

I wanted a proper City EP, not the case, not interested.

Frustrated with previous Sims games' intrepretations of cities, especially Sims 3. This time, for me, so far this one actually feels like a "proper City EP." And I say that because, as a city-dweller, to me it reflects the actual more-average person's experience of living in a city.

Well I'm frustrated with this one. Loved Late Night and Apartment Life. As a city lover it feels nothing like a real city, but an Into the Future wannabe utopian boring place.

I guess we'll just have to beg to differ, then. I've lived in the inner city for most of the last 30 years. So far, this pack feels like living in the city does.
    In America lot of cities have cars, infact that most of the transportation

2009 US Census data on workers who live and work in the same principal city (not metro area - so, this is the data once you exclude suburbs): 42.5% public transport, 13.0 percent walking, 34.4 car (including carpooling), 19.4 other (includes cycling). Also, 3 times the proportion of renters as owners take public transportation (national stat, not city-limited). The proportions for driving are higher outside cities than in them. Car ownership stats also show higher rates of car ownership outside cities than in them.

Yes, there are car drivers and owners in cities. But people living in cities drive less and own fewer cars than people not in cities. So if you're going to add cars (and especially garages - apartment buildings don't have those), a city pack isn't your best fit, IMO.

What I'd personally like to see for cars is a Game Pack where cars are the main feature, so you end up with a lot more gameplay instead of just commuting. Sims 2 had fun car gameplay. I'd want cars I can do stuff in and with, and squeezing them into an EP as just one of many features wouldn't do that. This pack that was surveyed would also be fun: "On the Road: Get behind the wheel of different vehicles, including cars, trucks and motorcycles. Fix up old cars, build a hotrod or jump on your ride and explore a number of tourist destinations." Or maybe this one, but I'm a bit less a fan of it: "Sport cars, motorcycles, and road bikes will get your Sims where they want to go with speed and style!  Race against other Sims on unique streets to win upgrade parts, prizes, and unique vehicles or just hang out at the street party." I'd like to see a pack like this also include bicycling and skateboarding, including recreationally.

@Dramatic-Gamer What I'm trying to say is that yes, there are cars, but they're not a factor in the lives of the residents of inner cities to the degree they are in the lives of the residents in suburbs and rural areas. They're scenery that gets in the way, more often than not. The people in them are largely not the people living in the city. This pack appears to be about living in the inner city. The data I gave above isn't even inner-city data. When you start drilling the data down to inner cities, car travel drops off even further.

@luthienrising That's a very good point about transportation, although not every major city is New York and it depends on your perception of the word "city"- see Los Angeles (2nd largest city in the U.S), Chicago (to a lesser extent but still car heavy 3rd largest city in the U.S.), Houston (OMG Houston! 4th largest city in the U.S.), Miami, Dallas/Ft.Worth, Atlanta, and so on. However, since public transport is such a major part of the New York/European/Asian city (at 42.5%!)- is it in this pack? No. Bikes, roller skates, skate boards, Segways that I see all over cities, especially segways for tourists? No, no, no, no. How about multistory parking garages for that fresh faced tourist we know will be arriving in town, maybe rental car companies for the locals traveling to Oasis on the weekends? No and No and even if they do a "Cars GP" there never will be. As far as what takes place in a city activity wise- IT'S EVERYTHING! You can find most any activity you want and this pack doesn't have anything I can't get in my local suburb to be honest activity wise, as well. We have karaoke (of course- doesn't everywhere)/ festivals (not eight in a week (!) but we're small and we do have one per week though through the spring and early summer)/ Ethnic clothes and food- yes of course, this isn't the 1950's era of pearly white suburbs full of McDonald's/ Basketball, uhh yeah, uhh everywhere/ Leaky pipes, faulty electrical, rats- yes, yes and yes/ five story tall apartment buildings, sure- many of them, again this isn't the 1950's and so on, even street art.

You know what we don't have in the suburbs that the urban core does? High Rises. That's the one defining thing that sets urban cores of cities apart the world over. That's the defining landmark symbol that any toddlers (cough-hint-cough) could point to in a picture and tell you that it's a city. When people dream of the ultimate city life style, high above the street, its a penthouse apartment. When they think of the glamour of the city it's dining 800 feet above the ground and going to sophisticated hotel lounges with views to forever.... And, we got three of those... three. The defining mark of a true urban core city without personal vehicles, relying on mass transit, as you are describing it- three. And no doubt that none of the three will be where the politician goes to work, like you know in a real city, in a high rise. I assume the politicians where you live work in High Rises in the urban core and not say, a strip mall. No, he'll work from home or from the ether or since we "got lucky" and EA "gave us" what appears to be the opportunity to give speechs, from the street.

So, you know whatever, it's number one on Amazon cause by and large people either believe the marketing or don't care or both.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited September 2016
    amandaneun wrote: »
    I think bands/singers/celebrities would've been a good idea; cities tend to be go-to places for aspiring artists, especially when it comes to busking so that definitely would've fit, imo. I also like the idea of bowling alleys and cinemas. Those're prime hangout spots, but maybe we'll see them in an upcoming University EP. I'm pretty sure that's when the bowling alleys got introduced in TS3. I remember there being cinemas (was it just one? don't remember) but I can't remember when that came, or if it was even from an EP.

The "Cinema" you are probably thinking of is the "Le Cinema Plumbob" lot set from the sims 3 store.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2016
    Actually I look up the census , your data is not correct . From the report
    (There were notable differences
    in mode choice between workers
    residing in the suburbs and those
    living in the city (see Table 2).
    Suburban workers (those who lived
    in a metropolitan area and outside
    of a principal city) drove alone at
    a rate of 81.5 percent, compared
    with 72.1 percent for workers
    who lived inside of a principal city.
    Respondents who lived inside of
    a principal city in a metro area
    walked to work at a rate of 4.4 percent,
    higher than that of workers)
    So why there is slight increase in walking to work for cities . Most of them still drive .

You are missing reading a key word in your summary.

"Suburban workers (those who lived
    in a metropolitan area and outside
    of a principal city) drove alone at
    a rate of 81.5 percent, compared
    with 72.1 percent for workers
    who lived inside of a principal city."

"DROVE ALONE" means they didn't share a car/carpool etc. So that means out of the 34.4% or so that DO drive (including carpooling), only 72.1% of them DRIVE ALONE"
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited September 2016
    All of these things COULD be in The City. There really haven't been anything listed that cannot.

However, what the team has chosen for this pack, is mostly found in the City.
    What is listed in the OP, can be found anywhere, so it's not specific to City Living.

And yes, the Toilet does belong in a City EP, since it's an object for the Fashion District. Which is Tokyo inspired.
    Which is a City.

JapaneseToiletBidet.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuEqYQmDUEk
  • Options
    As someone who lives downtown in a Very Big City (over 4 million), I would say that a lot of those things don't fit in a "City Living" pack for me.

Derivable cars & garages

Nope. Most people who live in the inner city don't drive much if at all. In my son's inner-city high school, only one of his whole extended friend group learned to drive. One. (My son is learning to drive in his 20s, now that he lives in a smaller town -- but they live in a downtown apartment there, too, and don't own a car.) I live in a rowhouse; we don't have a garage. Many of our neighbours have no parking at all. Many don't own cars. Cars are a great fit for a suburban or rural pack. Urban transportation is feet, bicycles, and public transit, if you don't live so far downtown that it's all full by the time it gets to you. (Yes, there are cars: they come from the suburbs. I'm a transportation nerd. I read research on that stuff for fun.)

New Life State "Vampires"

Unless the pack is about nightlife, and yet again ignores that cities are not actually all about nightlife but have vibrant daytime life, I don't see the connection. I prefer the game design choice to put in a broader range of urban life. I think there's a lot more interesting vampire lore they could draw on if they don't stuff vamps into big cities.

Bands

Sure. They could have done that. They've done it before. Maybe they'll do bands this time in a context that allows them to be more front and centre in development.

Cinemas

Meh. Sure, they could have, but they seem to have chosen things that our Sims do more actively, not passively. I'm okay with having karaoke (and a singing skill!) and basketball but not cinemas. Maybe they could do cinemas in a dating-focused pack.

Bowling Alleys

There's one bowling alley left in the inner city here. It's basically a nightclub with a few bowling lanes. All the other ones closed years ago. The nearest bowling alley is an hour-long trip on transit. Bowling alleys are a smaller-town feature, not a city one. Unless your whole view on cities is from 1970s sitcoms set in 1950s cities.

Celebrity System

Meh. I'm tired of that urban stereotype. I'd rather see that done in a separate pack with bands and movie-making and new entertainment careers, where it could be properly fleshed out and not make the city seem like it's nothing but fame and nightlife. Anyone who lives in a city knows that cities aren't really that. Much more of the time, cities are where celebrities can avoid attention. I live in a city where a lot of TV and movies are filmed. You pretty much glance at someone and maybe remember to say later in the day that such-and-such was at the vegetable store when you were, or the coffee shop (<-- true stories from my life).

Attraction system

Meh. There's no more "attraction" in a city than anywhere else. Would be a nice fit for a dating/wedding-focused pack.

Acting / Singer career

Meh. See my comments on bands and celebrity. I think these things would be much more fully developed if they weren't squashed into a city pack. And then they wouldn't be substituting for the fuller life that cities have.

If I sound a little frustrated, it's because I am. What they've put into this pack is city life. Festivals, basketball, graffiti art, a range of cultures living together - that stuff belongs here. The politics career is a welcome return, and a good fit for a "big" city: it's more often big cities that have regional/national government, not just small town stuff. The art critic career is a natural city fit. (Not so sure about social media, but okay.) I got really tired of city life being caricatured as all about nightlife and fame and fortune, and of that stuff being there when there was so much else that could have been done that felt like it would flesh out the city more.

Frustrated with what? People not agreeing with your opinion and not liking your view, or the devs view? Part of life.

Except you were already quoted that this EP is exactly what you asked for with feedback for a City pack, in which your response to that being found was "I didn't want a City pack anymore" but now you're saying you wanted one, and this isn't it, when you have feedback asking for a City Pack that includes everything available in City Living.

And if you "loved" Late Night, then having a superior Apartment set up (Apartments and Penthouses) should be an improvement?

Unless what you loved about Late Night had nothing to do with the City, and more about the gameplay, which isn't City specific and could be added in any pack.

If you loved Late Night, but hate "shell" apartments, are you actually asking for a City pack, or an Entertainment pack (Celebrities, Bands, Film/TV Stars etc)?

I feel like a lot of people say "I want this pack" just for certain gameplay, not the actual theme. Like asking for a City pack for Vampires, or Seasons for Festivals.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    All of these things COULD be in The City. There really haven't been anything listed that cannot.

What is listed in the OP, can be found anywhere, so it's not specific to City Living.

And yes, the Toilet does belong in a City EP, since it's an object for the Fashion District. Which is Tokyo inspired.
    Which is a City.

JapaneseToiletBidet.jpg

No, see my post above. There's very little in this pack that you can't find even in the suburbs. Even the talking toilet can be imported in (shrug) it doesn't display holograms though- I'd like to see that one if it exists. Anyway, toilet work is animation and programming time that has been lost that could have been used to implement longer range items. Frankly, the last thing I'm going to hold my breath for is the thirty seconds of toilet excitement in this pack before the "awe" factor wears off. If you bought the toilet thing from the Sims 3 store then you already know what I mean. You watch it in fascination the first time, less the second and with vague discontent by the third time the animations rolls around and then you never notice it again.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I made a post earlier talking about things City Living expansion pack is lacking & I got a couple of comments saying that the things that I listed doesn't match the theme of City Living.
    My list was :

• Derivable cars & garages
    • New Life State "Vampires"
    • Bands
    • Cinemas
    • Bowling Alleys
    • Celebrity System
    • Attraction system
    • Acting / Singer career

now they showed the "Talking Toilet" in their last live stream & it looks futuristic as plum ; which made me wonder "Shouldn't this be in a futuristic kind of pack instead ?" I mean I get it , cities are supposed to be modern and stuff but not modern to a way where we have a robot toilet in it.

Well technically, I'd rather have vampires in a separate supernatural EP (and the ability, just like in TS3, to stop them from (over-)populating the worlds as I do like to have some non-vampires too and the TS4 world would be vampirized rather quickly given its size).

The celebrity system is something I despise to the core lol so I'm kind of glad if it isn't in there. But for those who liked it, the best option would've been (again, like in TS3) to have the option to turn it on/off. Attraction system, same thing. My only gripe with those two is that I personally found them horrifying in TS3. I don't want my married sims to get a huge crush on every single male (NPC or not) that enters their home just because their star signs match or whatever. If it was done better, then yeah sure why not.

Everything else I do think should've been in there somewhere, especially cinemas, bands & bowling alleys - as to me, yeah these are very typical CL things. I used to go bowling in pretty much all cities I lived in, just like I used to go see live bands & have dates with others or occasionally just myself at the cinema lol (yes, I'm the kind of person who loves going there all by herself sometimes ;p). And cars, well yeah .. cars :) Let's just not go there, I seriously doubt we'll ever get them back... :/
  • Options

Which is a City.

JapaneseToiletBidet.jpg

No, see my post above. There's very little in this pack that you can't find even in the suburbs. Even the talking toilet can be imported in (shrug) it doesn't display holograms though- I'd like to see that one if it exists. Anyway, toilet work is animation and programming time that has been lost that could have been used to implement longer range items. Frankly, the last thing I'm going to hold my breath for is the thirty seconds of toilet excitement in this pack before the "awe" factor wears off. If you bought the toilet thing from the Sims 3 store then you already know what I mean. You watch it in fascination the first time, less the second and with vague discontent by the third time the animations rolls around and then you never notice it again.

You can find anything, anywhere.

But what they have chosen is found mostly in the City. Everything else in this thread, has nothing either nothing to do with Cities, or can be found outside of cities just as easily.

You don't see street art as much outside a city, as in one. Festivals, Politics, Street Performers etc.
    It's hard to find a CL feature, that appears more outside the City than in. The same cannot be said for other ideas in this thread, or even what Late Night and Nightlife included.

The only things that I felt were too obvious for them to forget is Police and Burglars.
  • Options

Which is a City.

JapaneseToiletBidet.jpg

You can find anything, anywhere.

But what they have chosen is found mostly in the City. Everything else in this thread, has nothing either nothing to do with Cities, or can be found outside of cities just as easily.

You don't see street art as much outside a city, as in one. Festivals, Politics, Street Performers etc.
    It's hard to find a CL feature, that appears more outside the City than in. The same cannot be said for other ideas in this thread, or even what Late Night and Nightlife included.

The only things that I felt were too obvious for them to forget is Police and Burglars.

@jackjack_k Why do you think this? Where do you live? I live in a city of a hundred thousand people, pretty small. I see street art, now not the exaggerated covering the whole street with spray paint before the police arrive kind shown in the trailer but chalk, posters and stuff like that for sure. We have the Chocolate Festival, The Taste of "my town" Food Festival, The Medieval Fair, The Main Street Music Festival, Mayfair, Jazz in June, The County Fair, Every Friday during decent weather we have Art Walk downtown, The May 5k, Midsummer's Night Festival, Christmas Home Tour, Fourth of July Celebration in the Park and probably one or two others I can't think of at the moment. We'd have more but with our weather it's tough scheduling stuff outside. There was a street performer singing and playing guitar just this Sunday when I went out for breakfast and there's usually a couple around downtown. You really think politics is an Urban Core phenomenon? Sorry, wrong again. It seems people are confusing "rural life" with suburban life/urban life and even at that, rural towns have festivals and graffiti and sometimes politics. There's nothing in this pack that can't regularly be found in any town over fifty thousand people save High Rises and the pack only has three of those. Buy it if you want, of course but there's no point in insisting that it's components, by and large, are unique to a city.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Do people still go bowling? It isn't very popular where I live at least.

As far as going to the movies I don't know if they will look into that again. They already made movies for the Stuff Pack, would they make new ones? Would the people who bought that pack feel cheated if they used them again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a movie-venue one day because I would really like it. I just don't think it's coming.

I like the talking toilet :) Don't think adding one poor little toilet is the same amount off work as adding an entire attraction system. The animations are the same as basegame unless I am mistaken. My friends who lived and worked in Japan for a year had a talking toilet. It is not that futuristic.
  • Options
    TaquandaTaquanda Posts: 212 Member
    I think everything that's mentioned here is now coming in yet another EP, GP or SP. Because, why not adding everything we want in seperate packs? $$$$$
    Sorry for any grammar or other mistakes. English is not my native language. :)
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    to be honest I don't like the "Cultural mixture" of this expansion pack & would've loved to see it in a world travel kind of pack instead.

I think they should have a cultural mix in every Pack, this game isn't exclusively about American fashion and living.

Yes! I agree :)

It is much more fun to me to be able to see and do new things in the game. Like the new challenge they have now.

Hope they keep doing these things!
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Everywhere I go I see a movie theatre and it's packed every time just like the malls and the supermarkets so why can't we have cinema I go and watch a movie from time to time bowling I go once in a blue moon but I know some go for tournaments that can be a good club gathering.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    @SilentKitty I'm sure people still bowl in certain areas of the country, but where I am, the bowling alleys have all shut down because no one goes to them anymore (well, outside of my family and 2 others lol). 3 families of regulars weren't enough to keep the doors open, though. Definitely a dead recreational pastime in my area, unfortunately. :(

OP, the only theme you mentioned that I would have really liked to see in this pack (and felt it would have fit) would have been the bands. I can see how one could argue that "bands" don't really fit into day to day City Living and are more of a night life pack, but I still would have liked to see them.

I'm a huge supernatural life state fan (as everyone knows by now) but because of the absolute disdain most simmers have for new life states, I do feel it's best to put them in a supernatural pack so people can avoid them. Ideally, I'd say just give us controls so people can turn them off (or turn them up, yes!) but people are so dramatic about their absolute disdain for anything supernatural, that I think TS4 devs will try to concentrate supernaturals in as few packs as possible (which sucks for me). Anyway, we'll see how that plays out. I see vampires the same way I see bands, in that it's more of a night life focus and not so much the broad city living aspect.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd love to see the features, but I understand why they didn't fit into the City Living category and were omitted.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    edited September 2016
    I live in London and sold my car when I moved here because I would use it very intermittently but then I've visited LA and had to rent a car because you can't get about, so I can't say that 'most people don't have cars in cities' because it does vary.

I think the issue they had was that the apartments aren't set up in a fashion where you could have a garage level and roads etc but I think they missed the opportunity to add some 'city' transport links. It would seem reasonable to add a subway to link each district - so you could start the loading screen directly from the district you're in rather than going back to the map. Similar to Sims 3 where you clicked on the subway and you select the district you want to travel to. Sims could get suitable moodlets, for example snobby or squeamish sims could get negative ones for being on a dirty train etc. Having said all that, that might be already be in the pack and they haven't told us about this yet?!

I think cars should be patched in personally, although I don't actually miss them that much - as you'd just end up seeing the sims get in them and then travel a short distance down the street before the loading screen, rather than watch their journey to the destination like you could in Sims 3. But I guess it would be nice to have them as an aesthetic thing on the drive...

Bowling alleys I'm not bothered about as I haven't set foot in one in over 10 years, and I'm not that fussed about cinemas as we can already watch sims watching movies on the big screen with the Outdoor movie pack thing. It's kind of dull watching them watch anyhow, and I think the festivals etc has enough active gameplay activities that are more immersive to make up for this.
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    to be honest I don't like the "Cultural mixture" of this expansion pack & would've loved to see it in a world travel kind of pack instead.

I like different cultures but I agree it would have been better suited in a travel EP.

Honestly, something is off about this pack. I feel like this EP is just EA pandering to the SJW tumblr types like: "LOOK CULTURE. LOOK PROTESTING. BUY THIS PACK." I wouldn't put it past them to slip a few subtle nods to certain groups out there.
  • Options
    blugar44blugar44 Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2016
    Lol. Idk.
    All sorts of things could be linked to a city. People keep pets in the city... there's weather in cities... agriculture could *totally* be thrown in there because farmer's markets exist... there's teens, there's toddlers, there's trash cans, celebrities, gum, high crime rates... I'm not trying to push an agenda haha I'm just showing how easy it would be to make connections to literally anything.

Your list fits the CL theme (maybe cars is a point of contention? most world city natives know never to bring a car to the inner city haha unless you wanna spend more time in traffic than it would take to walk). EA's list of content fits the CL theme. Lots of the things we're all clamouring for will probably find their way into other packs.

*also I don't know if I agree with the necessity of a World Adventures pack for the inclusion of cultures. The world isn't a sphere of bubbles of cultures separated by borders these days, especially in world cities, and I'm glad for it. I wouldn't have thought of it myself but I'm so appreciative that they've decided to go this route for cities because it's something so core to life in the city that you never even realise.
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    edited September 2016
    blugar44 wrote: »
    *also I don't know if I agree with the necessity of a World Adventures pack for the inclusion of cultures. The world isn't a sphere of bubbles of cultures separated by borders these days, especially in world cities, and I'm glad for it. I wouldn't have thought of it myself but I'm so appreciative that they've decided to go this route for cities because it's something so core to life in the city that you never even realise.

Agree with that completely. Rightly or wrongly I tend to play predominately Sims that are of my culture. This pack already has me preparing an array of sims of different decent because I feel this pack is giving us some of the tools to do this. I'm excited to see this diversity in my neighbourhoods. Sorry - districts!

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Frustrated with previous Sims games' intrepretations of cities, especially Sims 3. This time, for me, so far this one actually feels like a "proper City EP." And I say that because, as a city-dweller, to me it reflects the actual more-average person's experience of living in a city.

Well I'm frustrated with this one. Loved Late Night and Apartment Life. As a city lover it feels nothing like a real city, but an Into the Future wannabe utopian boring place.

I guess we'll just have to beg to differ, then. I've lived in the inner city for most of the last 30 years. So far, this pack feels like living in the city does.

2009 US Census data on workers who live and work in the same principal city (not metro area - so, this is the data once you exclude suburbs): 42.5% public transport, 13.0 percent walking, 34.4 car (including carpooling), 19.4 other (includes cycling). Also, 3 times the proportion of renters as owners take public transportation (national stat, not city-limited). The proportions for driving are higher outside cities than in them. Car ownership stats also show higher rates of car ownership outside cities than in them.

Yes, there are car drivers and owners in cities. But people living in cities drive less and own fewer cars than people not in cities. So if you're going to add cars (and especially garages - apartment buildings don't have those), a city pack isn't your best fit, IMO.

W
    @Dramatic-Gamer What I'm trying to say is that yes, there are cars, but they're not a factor in the lives of the residents of inner cities to the degree they are in the lives of the residents in suburbs and rural areas. They're scenery that gets in the way, more often than not. The people in them are largely not the people living in the city.
    Um no , let me explain. Your right there less people driving cars . But that dosen't mean there not lot of cars in the city . Most of the city, is crowded with a lot of cars . Sure there busses, but most them are cars . I live near a city , most o the transpotation is cars . Threy have taxiis, busses, but most are cars .

Right, but as @luthienrising pointed out, owning a car isn't common for people *living* in the city. And as the title of the pack, City Living, suggests... This pack is more focused on the aspects of living in the city, not just visiting or being in the city. And the stats just don't support owning cars while living in the city.

This is not to say I wouldn't like cars, because I do, but owning cars just doesn't quite fit with the theme of City Living.

This argument is so funny - I have never met someone living 'in the city' who doesn't own a car. Sure they might not drive it 2 blocks, but they do own a car because that is a necessity to adult life. If you don't own a car now, you will.

In real life cities aren't compact to the point where everything you could want to do is within walking/biking distance and public transportation is not the same for every city. I can name several that do not have a subway, which means you'll be sitting on a bus, or in a taxi if you don't have your own mode of transportation. Neither form of transportation is free either!

I totally get that cars don't fall within the scope of this EP, but claiming it's not common for those who live in cities to own a car is a laughable statement. When you can provide me numbers of car ownership per household in every major city then maybe you can make outrageous claims like that. Until then, let's just chalk the argument up to "The Sims 4 does not have cars" and stop with the excuses that make no sense.
  • Options
    Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member

W
    @Dramatic-Gamer What I'm trying to say is that yes, there are cars, but they're not a factor in the lives of the residents of inner cities to the degree they are in the lives of the residents in suburbs and rural areas. They're scenery that gets in the way, more often than not. The people in them are largely not the people living in the city.
    Um no , let me explain. Your right there less people driving cars . But that dosen't mean there not lot of cars in the city . Most of the city, is crowded with a lot of cars . Sure there busses, but most them are cars . I live near a city , most o the transpotation is cars . Threy have taxiis, busses, but most are cars .

Right, but as @luthienrising pointed out, owning a car isn't common for people *living* in the city. And as the title of the pack, City Living, suggests... This pack is more focused on the aspects of living in the city, not just visiting or being in the city. And the stats just don't support owning cars while living in the city.

This is not to say I wouldn't like cars, because I do, but owning cars just doesn't quite fit with the theme of City Living.

Now, for people complaining about the cultural aspect of the city, I just can't take you seriously, you're either naïve and have yet a lot to learn about a metropolis or are just close-minded.

That was a personal attack towards me actually , just because You study "cities" or whatever You do & that You're interested in mixed cultures doesn't give You the right to say what You just said ! I personally don't like the idea of cultural mixture because I'll simply never use that content in my game ; I live in the middle east & we have a very different cultural clothes and style than the americans but personally I don't want to see any middle eastren style in the game & even if that was there I won't use it.
    this is my opinion & this is the way I like to play my game , calling me naive & closed minded just because I don't like that idea is simply ignorant & I feel really disrespected.

Well, let's see what you said:

You only exposed that you don't like this "cultural mixture", you let it totally open for interpretation, so yeah, I had the right, I'm sorry. The fact you don't think you may have a lot to learn for not being happy with the cultural mixture testifies that. We gotta make our arguments clear when we talk about other's people representation, no matter where we are or what we study. You feel disrespected for relating to what I said about being naïve or close-minded (we all are a tad of both) and I think the same for seeing you complaining about having this in the game when some people might rightfully feel disrespected for not having this in their game.

Dude it's just an opinion for Christ sake , I personally don't like the idea of cultural mixture in this expansion pack & would loved to see each culture in it's home town "Just like in world adventures" ; I'm not against that idea in real life in anyhow and I'm a really open minded person.
    I loved how cities were done in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 & would've loved to see that installment instead.

Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • Options
    Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member
    edited September 2016

W

Now, for people complaining about the cultural aspect of the city, I just can't take you seriously, you're either naïve and have yet a lot to learn about a metropolis or are just close-minded.

That was a personal attack towards me actually , just because You study "cities" or whatever You do & that You're interested in mixed cultures doesn't give You the right to say what You just said ! I personally don't like the idea of cultural mixture because I'll simply never use that content in my game ; I live in the middle east & we have a very different cultural clothes and style than the americans but personally I don't want to see any middle eastren style in the game & even if that was there I won't use it.
    this is my opinion & this is the way I like to play my game , calling me naive & closed minded just because I don't like that idea is simply ignorant & I feel really disrespected.

Yes your opinion :)

Just curious, but which part of the Middle East if you don't mind me asking? It's interesting that you don't want Middle Eastern culture in the game because you're pretty much playing with European culture.

I live in "Jordan" private-jet-charter-to-amman-jordan.jpg
    This is our traditional dress Jordanian-Dance-mejourneys.com_.jpg
    & You can see cultural mixture in this photo taken place in Jordan ; which I really like
    140304200221-jordan-4-horizontal-large-gallery.jpeg

again ; I don't mind seeing different races in my game but personally I won't use clothes from other cultures because simply I don't like it on my sims.

Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited September 2016

W

This argument is so funny - I have never met someone living 'in the city' who doesn't own a car. Sure they might not drive it 2 blocks, but they do own a car because that is a necessity to adult life. If you don't own a car now, you will.

In real life cities aren't compact to the point where everything you could want to do is within walking/biking distance and public transportation is not the same for every city. I can name several that do not have a subway, which means you'll be sitting on a bus, or in a taxi if you don't have your own mode of transportation. Neither form of transportation is free either!

I totally get that cars don't fall within the scope of this EP, but claiming it's not common for those who live in cities to own a car is a laughable statement. When you can provide me numbers of car ownership per household in every major city then maybe you can make outrageous claims like that. Until then, let's just chalk the argument up to "The Sims 4 does not have cars" and stop with the excuses that make no sense.

Urban vs. Rural car ownership per capita
    Furthermore, the unavailability of vehicles in households in urban areas is almost twice that of households in rural areas [1].
    - US Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics (2003)
    According to Sivak [University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute], more than half the households in New York City had no vehicle in 2012 (56 percent) and at least a quarter of households in seven other U.S. cities were without a vehicle in 2012: Washington, D.C. (38 percent), Boston (37 percent), Philadelphia (33 percent), San Francisco (31 percent), Baltimore (31 percent), Chicago (28 percent) and Detroit (26 percent)
    -- Data may be compared with 9.22% without a vehicle overall nationally; http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/21923-hitchin-a-ride-fewer-americans-have-their-own-vehicle

Tokyo is another city used as a model (we are told). Car ownership in 2010 had dropped 2.2% overall in Japan, but 6.9% in Tokyo (and even more in three other large prefectures). Data from the Japanese Internal Affairs Ministry, http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/08/the-japanese-abandon-their-cars/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    As someone who lives downtown in a Very Big City (over 4 million), I would say that a lot of those things don't fit in a "City Living" pack for me.

Derivable cars & garages

Nope. Most people who live in the inner city don't drive much if at all. In my son's inner-city high school, only one of his whole extended friend group learned to drive. One. (My son is learning to drive in his 20s, now that he lives in a smaller town -- but they live in a downtown apartment there, too, and don't own a car.) I live in a rowhouse; we don't have a garage. Many of our neighbours have no parking at all. Many don't own cars. Cars are a great fit for a suburban or rural pack. Urban transportation is feet, bicycles, and public transit, if you don't live so far downtown that it's all full by the time it gets to you. (Yes, there are cars: they come from the suburbs. I'm a transportation nerd. I read research on that stuff for fun.)

New Life State "Vampires"

Unless the pack is about nightlife, and yet again ignores that cities are not actually all about nightlife but have vibrant daytime life, I don't see the connection. I prefer the game design choice to put in a broader range of urban life. I think there's a lot more interesting vampire lore they could draw on if they don't stuff vamps into big cities.

Bands

Sure. They could have done that. They've done it before. Maybe they'll do bands this time in a context that allows them to be more front and centre in development.

Cinemas

Meh. Sure, they could have, but they seem to have chosen things that our Sims do more actively, not passively. I'm okay with having karaoke (and a singing skill!) and basketball but not cinemas. Maybe they could do cinemas in a dating-focused pack.

Bowling Alleys

There's one bowling alley left in the inner city here. It's basically a nightclub with a few bowling lanes. All the other ones closed years ago. The nearest bowling alley is an hour-long trip on transit. Bowling alleys are a smaller-town feature, not a city one. Unless your whole view on cities is from 1970s sitcoms set in 1950s cities.

Celebrity System

Meh. I'm tired of that urban stereotype. I'd rather see that done in a separate pack with bands and movie-making and new entertainment careers, where it could be properly fleshed out and not make the city seem like it's nothing but fame and nightlife. Anyone who lives in a city knows that cities aren't really that. Much more of the time, cities are where celebrities can avoid attention. I live in a city where a lot of TV and movies are filmed. You pretty much glance at someone and maybe remember to say later in the day that such-and-such was at the vegetable store when you were, or the coffee shop (<-- true stories from my life).

Attraction system

Meh. There's no more "attraction" in a city than anywhere else. Would be a nice fit for a dating/wedding-focused pack.

Acting / Singer career

Meh. See my comments on bands and celebrity. I think these things would be much more fully developed if they weren't squashed into a city pack. And then they wouldn't be substituting for the fuller life that cities have.

If I sound a little frustrated, it's because I am. What they've put into this pack is city life. Festivals, basketball, graffiti art, a range of cultures living together - that stuff belongs here. The politics career is a welcome return, and a good fit for a "big" city: it's more often big cities that have regional/national government, not just small town stuff. The art critic career is a natural city fit. (Not so sure about social media, but okay.) I got really tired of city life being caricatured as all about nightlife and fame and fortune, and of that stuff being there when there was so much else that could have been done that felt like it would flesh out the city more.

I understand you don't think vampires would fit in an EP about the city but if you go back to the novel you'll find that's exactly where Dracula wanted to live,

"I long to go through the crowded streets of your mighty London, to be in the midst of the whirl and rush of humanity, to share its life, its change, its death, and all that makes it what it is."
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    @luthienrising so your helpful little data shows that NYC is the only city listed with over 50% without a car.

Chicago (my closest city) - 28%, meaning 72% own a car.