Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I return?

axel1015axel1015 Posts: 952 Member
So I've taken a long long break from this game. This is to the people who are on the fence about the game - with all the new packs and updates, has the gameplay gotten better? I often got bored, the gameplay got stale, but I'm getting an itch to play the game again, problem is; I don't want to install and buy all the new packs (haven't played since February) just to be bored again.

-Please, those who think this game is amazing and flawless spare me your speech. I want to hear from those who aren't sure about the game and don't really like it. Is there more to offer?

I mean CL looks pretty cool...but it'll probably be lackluster and dry like usual, another thing that irks me and makes me not want to play is how unacceptably rude and inconsiderate simgurudrake is to us, which TOTALY turns me off from the game...

And for those who disagree with me, I have something pretty cool to show you...at the top of the page, near the left is a back button. Press it and voila!
FreshLion55 on the Gallery! Happy simming! >:)

Comments

• Options
    Well, if you only want to hear from those who don't like the game, it's obvious what kinds of answers you'll be getting. I've put in over 1,000 hours on TS4 so far and haven't gotten bored yet. The only person who's going to know how you feel about the game is you. I'd suggest trying it again, because that's the only way to find out.
  • Options
    Well, if you only want to hear from those who don't like the game, it's obvious what kinds of answers you'll be getting. I've put in over 1,000 hours on TS4 so far and haven't gotten bored yet. The only person who's going to know how you feel about the game is you. I'd suggest trying it again, because that's the only way to find out.

True, but I want to hear if someone HAS gone back and enjoyed it or not.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    In my opinion, The Sims 4 is what it is. There have been improvements as the packs and free updates move forward, but at the core, it'll always be Sims 4. Like @Loudon_Wainwright says, you'll be the only one who can really say if its worth while to play again. I just tend to think if you were not enjoying the core game, a few bells and whistles probably won't change that in the long run. Its a fun game for me. Not amazing or captivating like some of the previous ones were to me, but it is fun and worth playing.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello @axel1015 I took a break between April 2015 and the beginning of September. I have just added Get Together, Dine Out and Luxury Party pack. First impression is new content makes the game feel less empty but does not necessarily improve the gameplay. I reinstalled, not so much for the gameplay, but for the building. I find I am happiest building but find the lack of CASt and terrain tools extremely irksome. I am sticking with it for now because I plan to write an article. I would like to cover the new pack but after that I am not sure I will continue to play. Deep down I know I am a TS3 girl.

My advice is look carefully at the reviews for the various packs before you purchase. You might want to play the game as is before you install new packs. Then you can judge for yourself which is always the best option.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    Hello @axel1015 I took a break between April 2015 and the beginning of September. I have just added Get Together, Dine Out and Luxury Party pack. First impression is new content makes the game feel less empty but does not necessarily improve the gameplay. I reinstalled, not so much for the gameplay, but for the building. I find I am happiest building but find the lack of CASt and terrain tools extremely irksome. I am sticking with it for now because I plan to write an article. I would like to cover the new pack but after that I am not sure I will continue to play. Deep down I know I am a TS3 girl.

My advice is look carefully at the reviews for the various packs before you purchase. You might want to play the game as is before you install new packs. Then you can judge for yourself which is always the best option.

I agree. Love building. Running out of room. I know I can start a new game just to build, but when I build I want MY sims to use that lot. I will give the new pack a try. See how I feel after that.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2016
    Personally, I wouldn't return as I find the gameplay extremely lacking as it was only playable for a few hours then I got bored of it. Surprise to say despite the sims 3 lags a bit but I find the sims 3 more fun than the sims 4 as there was more gameplay and the sims were extremely unique but the sims 4 are sims with different animations as I don't seem to find them have an unique identity like the sims 2 and sims 3

Edited: I don't think the sims 4 city living will bring me back as I don't really know what's the focus on the pack as it's just more objects, lots and careers but I don't really see any massive gameplay.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited September 2016
    axel1015 wrote: »
    -Please, those who think this game is amazing and flawless spare me your speech. I want to hear from those who aren't sure about the game and don't really like it. Is there more to offer?

Please, spare me this false dichotomy. Ahem...but to give a more helpful response.

No, I don't think this game is flawless. There are no toddlers, no cars, no pets, no seasons, and many of the interactions feel shallow. So, in many regards, the game is flawed.

A big caveat though, is that every new addition seems to integrate well and not cause any problems, which means the game is growing and growing steadily. There has been a lot of content added since February as well. Compared this to TS3, where seemingly every new expansion or pack causes some sort of meltdown with glitches, slow loading times, and other annoying issues.

I've been on the fence of getting TS4 when it first came out and therefore was about 1.5 years late to the party, but I don't regret getting the game at all. But it seems you already made up your mind and only want negative opinions / yea-sayers to your post. So I guess I'll just click the back button then.

Voila.

Post edited by TheDismalSimmer on
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Right now TS4 is still lacking as far as gameplay goes for me. It's good for a couple hours at most but after that I found myself repeating things. I just find that a lot of the added gameplay doesn't have much of a wow factor so it gets old fast and then I have no desire to try it again :/

And of course the sims themselves still lack personality so that doesn't help much with my enjoyment either
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    AlisonCuteSimsAlisonCuteSims Posts: 165 Member
    I took a really long break, well not really because I haven't actually returned...

But do have all the expansion packs/stuff packs except spooky stuff, and I can tell you that they are only fun for such a short amount of time. While the idea of the packs are nice, the game is just... not so much fun in my truthful opinion. I can't get attached to my sims like I used to. But that's just me.

I would recommend returning to TS3, as there is so much more to do, and the games are dirt cheap in some places now that TS4 is out. Good luck! ;)
    3dd20d8220bdc70e9490da5f62974d35.gif
  • Options
    I took a really long break, well not really because I haven't actually returned...

But do have all the expansion packs/stuff packs except spooky stuff, and I can tell you that they are only fun for such a short amount of time. While the idea of the packs are nice, the game is just... not so much fun in my truthful opinion. I can't get attached to my sims like I used to. But that's just me.

I would recommend returning to TS3, as there is so much more to do, and the games are dirt cheap in some places now that TS4 is out. Good luck! ;)

This is exactly what I was looking for. Not someone who challenges my opinion or feelings about the game. I have all TS3 packs, and it's my favorite sims game ever. It's just such a shame that it has so many problems...but once I upgrade my Mac storage, I might just have to install it and give it a go...it's just such a gorgeous game. And is so close to my heart...I have to give it a fair shot, otherwise I'll be stuck with TS2, which mind you isn't bad at all, I'm just feeling like I need to take a break and play a more modern and updated, less restricting (in terms of world)...but if I have to play it, that's okay too...because it's a very close 2nd favorite.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited September 2016
    This game is simply new venues and backgrounds with almost the same things to do. Instead of dancing, there is a dancing skill! Or a DJ skill! But any Joe Schmoe can come up to a DJ booth or dance floor and start working the skill. It took my sim only 3 nights to max the dance skill. BORING! The skill does nothing except make your sim look good on the computer screen for 10 seconds. It's a pointless skill. It has no affect on anything.This game is still all about go out and party and skill up. Almost everything you do at your sims house, you can do at a venue. It's the same stuff over and over again, just with a different facade.
  • Options
    puddleduck1puddleduck1 Posts: 179 Member
    axel1015 wrote: »
    So I've taken a long long break from this game. This is to the people who are on the fence about the game - with all the new packs and updates, has the gameplay gotten better? I often got bored, the gameplay got stale, but I'm getting an itch to play the game again, problem is; I don't want to install and buy all the new packs (haven't played since February) just to be bored again.

I mean CL looks pretty cool...but it'll probably be lackluster and dry like usual, another thing that irks me and makes me not want to play is how unacceptably rude and inconsiderate simgurudrake is to us, which TOTALY turns me off from the game...

And for those who disagree with me, I have something pretty cool to show you...at the top of the page, near the left is a back button. Press it and voila!

I still have sims4 installed with all the packs and updates but still find it boring and haven't played in quite a long time. I am waiting for future EPs to see if it improves or not, otherwise it will continue to be the Sims3 until something of real interest comes along.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i would return to sims4 its better than it was and still improuving
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    VallandraVallandra Posts: 7 New Member
    I preordered the Sims 4 and played the crap out of the base game trying to get myself to enjoy it. I could handle loading screens and manual story progression but the lack of create a style, the check box objective gameplay and plain lack of content were deal breakers for me. I ended up uninstalling it and went back to the Sims 3.

However, due to real life changes, my free time has been dramatically reduced. I can't put extra time into configuring and fixing it anymore. Also, just loading the game put a dent in my free time. (Albeit, this is a not a problem of an excessively long loading time as much as me not having much leisure time). I ended up going back to the Sims 2 and then gave up playing the Sims all together.

Due to the recent sale, I decided to take a gamble and retry the Sims 4. I picked up Get Together and a couple game and stuff packs - namely, anything that I thought would give me the best chance of enjoying the game.

Honestly, I am glad I did because I am really having fun with the game. Get Together added a more sandboxy feel to the game. Npc's invite you out and there are more stuff to do at venues so you actually have a reason to leave your home. The stuff and game packs added more items so I don't miss Create-A-Style "as" much. Also, with the use of mods, rotational play works for me as story progression.

With all that said, I don't think you should try it again right now. Your post makes it sound that you are not in a state of mind that would enjoy it. Everyone has different deal breakers. I cry on the inside each time I think of all the missing content and features, but as of now, they are not deal breakers for me. It sounds like it would be best for you to go back to the Sims 3 or 2.
  • Options
    Interesting views...Dine Out and some of the SP's look so enticing to me...but I feel like I would get it and then after 2 hours realize, like@jaxie086 said, it would be the same thing with a different facade...
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

Why not install what you have and see how you like it now? You've got the Simming bug so maybe, if you like it now, you can buy 1 of something and see. No need to buy it all if you don't like what you have. :)

• Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    I quit for several months but I'm back and for me it is better. I do prefer playing a YA sim, single or married but if they have kids, the kids live on auto pilot. For me there is a lot more for YA sims to do and, I don't get bored with it.

If family play is more your thing, then Back Yard and Kids Room adds some stuff for that but not a lot and, I think it would get boring after a few weeks for you.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    I can sympathize with this post. I too feel the game is lacking. I can say I honestly was playing TS4 maybe once every 3-6 months. The game quickly becomes stale and boring. And I return to TS3- The updates are ridiculous every month and one of the last ones really made me plum mad because it erased every Sim and every house I ever made. It also re-set my library, so all my Saved Sims were gone too. I am a family player and have noticed little things, like being able to change the color of the bassinet after the baby is born have been removed. Whether this was deliberate or not is still up for debate, but the thread to inform was placed up in Dec 2015 - and Devs have been more concerned about fixing the name of "wallpaper" in the latest update. smh. The recent addition of "the monster under the bed" is severely flawed. The monster spawns every night, and your child Sim proceeds to wake up every Sim in the house at 3am. smh. (Its almost like they don't want you to have children? Or at least not enjoy them when you do...)

I have only one expansion pack. "Get To Work" I had high expectations, but grew to hate it as it doesn't allow enough "sandbox"
    play. Even with the highest achievement or rank of power, the game still tells you "what to do" and if you don't do it, exactly in the order you are told to- you will not get a good review for the day... I personally think its a major flaw.

I recently came back and started playing challenges. (after a good 6 month hiatus) Seems to be the only thing that can keep me invested in one family for too long. Even then, I found myself bored. Hitting the fast forward on the fastest time and watching them run around while I zone out and ponder "Why isn't this game fun..." I realized no matter what traits you give your Sims, they all behave the exact same way. If your Sim is lazy, they will still drop to the floor and do pushups/situps when energized. Family Sims still flirt when "feeling flirty: and cause their own drama with their SO even when married... smh

The reason I keep returning is because I have faith, the Devs will recognize family play someday and I will be left behind in the dust. Also cc creators have helped me enjoy the game more because of their awesome talent. For me, TS4 is a shell. Its my least favorite of the series, even compared to TS1 which I introduced my kids to recently. It's lacking "real life" I guess you could say. Although there have been some changes I've noticed, although this might be just because I never played a family so long... ? But parents have a lot more interactions with their children now. Like "kiss cheek, hug, show love," But then the good things like "reading a bedtime story" have been taken out. If you get bored quickly like I do, I would say, play many different generations! ....use the FFWD button frequently... and don't be afraid to create some drama in your Sims lives! If you don't, they probably will for themselves. Don't get too attached to any one family as they may be culled. (that addition is an abomination in itself and a completely different thread)

GOOD LUCK !!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I still don't know what to do...Maybe I'll try TS3 again.
  • Options
    BarghaestBarghaest Posts: 168 Member
    s_stutler wrote: »
    The recent addition of "the monster under the bed" is severely flawed. The monster spawns every night, and your child Sim proceeds to wake up every Sim in the house at 3am. smh. (Its almost like they don't want you to have children? Or at least not enjoy them when you do...)

Maybe it's a subtle hint for people to stop asking for family-oriented material. :pensive:
    I recently came back and started playing challenges. (after a good 6 month hiatus) Seems to be the only thing that can keep me invested in one family for too long. Even then, I found myself bored. Hitting the fast forward on the fastest time and watching them run around while I zone out and ponder "Why isn't this game fun..." I realized no matter what traits you give your Sims, they all behave the exact same way. If your Sim is lazy, they will still drop to the floor and do pushups/situps when energized. Family Sims still flirt when "feeling flirty: and cause their own drama with their SO even when married... smh

That's been my issue since launch. The traits don't make sims individual enough, the emotion system overrides their behavior so that all sims are basically the same. I was hoping for more individuality in sims... those who are family-oriented not flirting (or rejecting flirts) from those outside their relationship... the traits lack the depth I wanted... I miss the personality, chemistry and reputation from Sims 2 (if only it had story progression).
    The reason I keep returning is because I have faith, the Devs will recognize family play someday and I will be left behind in the dust. Also cc creators have helped me enjoy the game more because of their awesome talent. For me, TS4 is a shell. Its my least favorite of the series, even compared to TS1 which I introduced my kids to recently.

Yep... it was mods that brought me back. And while some of the EPs and GPs do look enticing, I'm continuing to speak with my wallet until I see a direction in family play that impresses me.
  • Options
    CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    So do you essentially want people to convince you to come back? Seems odd.

Just reinstall the game and try it out for yourself. If you like it great, if not I'm sorry and hope you find other games that will be better fit for you.
  • Options
    So do you essentially want people to convince you to come back? Seems odd.

Just reinstall the game and try it out for yourself. If you like it great, if not I'm sorry and hope you find other games that will be better fit for you.

I guess I just wanted this game to be so much of something it's not that I want people to tell that...I'll have to see if I want to play it or not. I'm not trying to get convinced but I just want to know if anything has changed...
  • Options
    makinmagic58makinmagic58 Posts: 342 Member
    I just came back from a couple year hiatus after getting TS4 recently so I know how you feel in a way. What's keeping me going is dpimg my best to ignore the things I don't like about the game and having fun with what I do, as obviously I'm coming from years of experience with the first 3 so there's a lot to catch up on/get used to. Really just takes time. Try it again and see what's up. And from what I've seen from my brief time back here the game isn't everyone's cup of tea, so it's not as big of a deal if you still aren't feeling it.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,611 Member
    I like the game but for OP, I'm going to say no. I don't feel like it has changed much so you would feel the same way when you left. I do like Dine Out tho. I don't know if you will be bored by it after a while since we all have different play styles and attention span, etc, but maybe you might want to check that out or look at its reviews.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    In my opinion, the newer content helps but there is still a lack of good, interesting gameplay in the game.

My hope is that the addition of the lot traits before the new EP (and more with the EP) will at least add some interesting events and stories. So I'm excited to see the new stuff this fall.

But generally speaking, no the game hasn't improved that much at this point in my opinion. I still get bored easily with it. But I still love building and creating sims, so there's still stuff to keep me going.