Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coffee..

Does anyone miss how if you drink a cup of coffee your Sim couldn't sleep for so many hours until it wore off? I used to make my Sims drink a lot of coffee on Sims 3 and build skills.

Comments

• Options
    foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    Yep. Now it only has a negligible benefit to energy, which is offset by the energy lost in the amount of time it takes to drink the coffee.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • Options
    shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    Yep. Now it only has a negligible benefit to energy, which is offset by the energy lost in the amount of time it takes to drink the coffee.

I think when your sim feels energize that they shouldn't be able to sleep or nap. It would give more benefit to the emotion.
  • Options
    It should also get rid of tired/exhausted moodlets while the coffee moodlet is in effect, like it did in TS3.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I do..but rats, I thought this was going to be a thread all about the love of coffee.... <3
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I do..but rats, I thought this was going to be a thread all about the love of coffee.... <3

Coffee is good. I'm from Canada and up here we love our Timmies :)
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yeah, something I miss a lot is how the game actually felt like a balanced, life simulation. Often, it feels like certain gameplay mechanics are just unbalanced and provide far too much advantage to the player, when there should be some sort of trade-off for the player taking the easier route. They tried to mend this with traits a bit, but we have traits that give nothing but a bonus, traits which give both bonus and disadvantage, and some I feel with not enough of a bonus. I think they should overhaul traits system and make it more about clearly defining a personality over anything anyway, but that's irrelevant.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I wish I could be like my sims and get energized by coffee but it does literally nothing to me in rl lol
  • Options
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    I wish I could be like my sims and get energized by coffee but it does literally nothing to me in rl lol

Same, but that's because I drink like three cups a day LOL.
  • Options
    qpmommaqpmomma Posts: 135 Member
    shadowicia wrote: »

I think when your sim feels energize that they shouldn't be able to sleep or nap. It would give more benefit to the emotion.

I agree. I was surprised to find out that was not the case. And yeah, coffee should prevent energy from decaying.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Yeah, something I miss a lot is how the game actually felt like a balanced, life simulation. Often, it feels like certain gameplay mechanics are just unbalanced and provide far too much advantage to the player, when there should be some sort of trade-off for the player taking the easier route. They tried to mend this with traits a bit, but we have traits that give nothing but a bonus, traits which give both bonus and disadvantage, and some I feel with not enough of a bonus. I think they should overhaul traits system and make it more about clearly defining a personality over anything anyway, but that's irrelevant.

I think traits need to bring out different actions. Like the clumsy trait has really no use to me
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Yeah, I hate how useless coffee is. And then it just makes you sim dazed after a couple cups, it has almost no benefit :/

I love Tim Hortons, I go there way too often <3
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate how useless coffee is. And then it just makes you sim dazed after a couple cups, it has almost no benefit :/

I love Tim Hortons, I go there way too often <3

Me to. LOL what Canadian don't though, eh?
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

And the amount of time it takes to pee afterward. :/ Drinking has too much an effect on the bladder need in my opinion.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

I opened it up and initially thought the same. Then again here I am at work almost done (less than 4 hours left adter working over 8 already) woohoo... im ready to go home and sleep. Coffee sounds so good right now.. But these heathens here at work use up all the sugar leaving just creamer... (-__-)
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    Can Sims choose how they like there coffee? How many sugars, how much milk, how dark it is?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

I think traits need to bring out different actions. Like the clumsy trait has really no use to me

Clumsy actually increases failure chance. My Clumsy scientist started 3 fires (from exploding serums) and failed one invention (which I didn't know was possible) in her first week.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Clumsy actually increases failure chance. My Clumsy scientist started 3 fires (from exploding serums) and failed one invention (which I didn't know was possible) in her first week.

I've lost track on the number of time my clumsy doctor has dropped the sample test tube :D
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    Agree OP, it would be nice if drinking coffee gave the sims a "buzzed" moodlet. I also think that the effect of coffee on the bladder need is too overpowered, one coffee and my sim is doing the pee walk. This needs to be adjusted imo.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2016
    I was going to say caffeine is a diuretic, but I looked it up and it's not technically true. No increase in output, just an increase in urgency. So it still makes sense that it hastens the need to pee.
  • Options

Does it? I never noticed but that's pretty neat so I take back what i said.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member

I actually thought they couldn't sleep while energized, but I just tested it in my game and you're totally right. I'd definitely like to see the energized emotion prevent a sim from sleeping whether it's from coffee or just working out. When you're pumped, you're pumped and there is no such thing as rest in those moments. ;)
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,593 Member
    Does anyone miss how if you drink a cup of coffee your Sim couldn't sleep for so many hours until it wore off? I used to make my Sims drink a lot of coffee on Sims 3 and build skills.

I remember mostly how it would give my Sims the jitters! LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options

Out of curiosity, what happens when you fail an invention? Do you just end up with nothing, or does something happen? I had no idea that was possible.
  • Options
    I was going to say caffeine is a diuretic, but I looked it up and it's not technically true. No increase in output, just an increase in urgency. So it still makes sense that it hastens the need to pee.

I still think the effect on bladder is greater than it should be. The diuretic-like effect IRL is fairly mild, and it's lessened/negated for anyone who regularly drinks coffee or other caffeinated drinks.
  • Options

I actually thought they couldn't sleep while energized, but I just tested it in my game and you're totally right. I'd definitely like to see the energized emotion prevent a sim from sleeping whether it's from coffee or just working out. When you're pumped, you're pumped and there is no such thing as rest in those moments. ;)

Yeah, it would make sense because who can sleep when they're hyped up. I know I can't.