The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really SimsVip?

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I'm sorry this happened to you @NZsimm3r. I hope nobody is harassing you at all regarding this.

Anyhow, some do have valid points. Anything we post on these forums can be seen by anyone. They're public in the sense that anybody can type the forum URL and read posts, with or without an account. This should remind us all to think twice before clicking that post comment button, but that's irrelevant to this specific case, just an important reminder to everyone that should be said.

I think maybe the best solution for SimsVIP would be to edit out your name from the pictures, but link the forum page where the conversation happened. I can understand their point of view, perceiving the email as a call for censorship though, especially after I read up on this. But if you're receiving questions, harassment, and more of the sort, it really is a complete different ball game.

I read the article myself, and looked into the Tweets and whatever to make my own opinion of this mess. It really does not seem to be that good. From my perspective, EA is placing the blame on the leaks on fansites and the community's request for more transparency, rather than take responsibility, own up to their mistake, and continue to maintain a close relationship with their fans.

Tweets that were made were a bit uncalled for. It seems like power was abused to police fan sites. That's entirely out of line, and EA should have no power over community blogs and the like. All of this news is just so disappointing though. I'm very disappointed in how much further this rift between EA and the fans is becoming. It shouldn't be like this now.

Interesting points.

It would be a great shame if ties are cut with the fansites after so many years of progress

:disappointed:

I agree, that would be the absolute worst possible action from EA in this situation.

It is a shame as like I said there has always been a good relationship between EA and the fansites for 16 years. Why stop that now?

It is interesting, because, after following Sims fansites since, if I remember correctly, 2009, they have always shared information that EA hasnt officially announced. The good is that it does hype up the community, and generates very happy and extensive speculation and discussion. I mean, leaks are associated with a ton of franchises and companies.

I just have never seen the consumer or fansite blamed for it. EA should be putting the leaker in the crosshairs, definitely not fansites which do pull in a lot of old and new players back into the foray of the game -- and I know that because they've done that for me all throughout TS3. Without the steady flow of information they provided, I can't really say I would have paid the money I did for the games.
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    MysticOne wrote: »

I wonder how many 'regular' simmers are in one on one conversations with SimGuruDrake and others. Shouldn't they make themselves available to all simmers? Doesn't this contact give some simmers 'special' status?

I'm pretty sure you know you can PM Drake or any of the Gurus at anytime. But keep throwing 'shade' where there isn't any. ;)

Oh sure anyone can message her but don't expect her to respond to you if she doesn't like you. Which is favoritism by definition. Yet she's supposed to be the objective overall community manager. Please
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    edited September 2016
    -snip for size and relevance-

I read the article myself, and looked into the Tweets and whatever to make my own opinion of this mess. It really does not seem to be that good. From my perspective, EA is placing the blame on the leaks on fansites and the community's request for more transparency, rather than take responsibility, own up to their mistake, and continue to maintain a close relationship with their fans.

Tweets that were made were a bit uncalled for. It seems like power was abused to police fan sites. That's entirely out of line, and EA should have no power over community blogs and the like. All of this news is just so disappointing though. I'm very disappointed in how much further this rift between EA and the fans is becoming. It shouldn't be like this now.

I agree that it does seem like EA is placing the blame on the fansites. While I don't condone it, I can also see why. The fansites were given leaked, unofficial information, and ran it. I certainly can't blame those sites for doing so since I might have done the same in their shoes. I'm wondering if it's a case where EA has been unable to find the employee who actually leaked the information so they're now cutting off anyone else that might present themselves as a weak link when it comes to this sort of security. (I'm not sure how since if info is leaked it will get into their hands regardless, but I'm not an insider.)

At the very least it's probably removed those sites from "the loop" regarding future games and invitations to events since I believe other game companies have done that to game news websites in the past when they released leaked information.

I just hope that the damage between EA and the fans can eventually be repaired. It seemed like we were making a little bit of progress with things like the Ask a Guru thread, the Tech Talk thread, and the Reddit thread by SimGuruTrev.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I'm sorry this happened to you @NZsimm3r. I hope nobody is harassing you at all regarding this.

Anyhow, some do have valid points. Anything we post on these forums can be seen by anyone. They're public in the sense that anybody can type the forum URL and read posts, with or without an account. This should remind us all to think twice before clicking that post comment button, but that's irrelevant to this specific case, just an important reminder to everyone that should be said.

I think maybe the best solution for SimsVIP would be to edit out your name from the pictures, but link the forum page where the conversation happened. I can understand their point of view, perceiving the email as a call for censorship though, especially after I read up on this. But if you're receiving questions, harassment, and more of the sort, it really is a complete different ball game.

Interesting points.

It would be a great shame if ties are cut with the fansites after so many years of progress

:disappointed:

I agree, that would be the absolute worst possible action from EA in this situation.

It is a shame as like I said there has always been a good relationship between EA and the fansites for 16 years. Why stop that now?

It is interesting, because, after following Sims fansites since, if I remember correctly, 2009, they have always shared information that EA hasnt officially announced. The good is that it does hype up the community, and generates very happy and extensive speculation and discussion. I mean, leaks are associated with a ton of franchises and companies.

I just have never seen the consumer or fansite blamed for it. EA should be putting the leaker in the crosshairs, definitely not fansites which do pull in a lot of old and new players back into the foray of the game -- and I know that because they've done that for me all throughout TS3. Without the steady flow of information they provided, I can't really say I would have paid the money I did for the games.

Fansites where creating speculation since back in TS1 I think. They always had interesting articles as well.

I can remember reading about TS1 Vacation EP back in the day and being really impressed with it. All of that came from a fansite. :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I guess this post is not going to be particularly clear but I asked Alexis to remove my user name from her initial news article which featured a series of posts between SimGuruDrake and myself. This was where SimGuruDrake made the 'one bad apple' reference.

My reasons for asking SimsVip to remove my user name were two fold. Firstly I do not belong to their forum and felt it was inappropriate for them to display my user name and posts without even letting me know or asking my permission and secondly because I personally felt the whole 'bad apple' comment was taken way out of context and I did not want my username associated with such views.

After pm-ing SimguruDrake here a few times I told her I was nervous about emailing Alexis directly as she might publish my email so SimGuruDRake said she would reach out on my behalf because she didn't want me feeling like I couldn't post here safely.

Alexis PM-ed me here. I replied with a HUGE pm explaining why I wanted my username removed from her website and also explained my position on the 'bad apple' comment.

I am still waiting for Alexis to get back to me.

A few moments ago @HIFreeBirdIH PM-ed me to ask if I was the forum member Alexis was talking about. I hadn't even seen the latest post on SimsVip as tbh I don't even look there anymore as in my view her articles are just not something I find interesting. To say I was shocked would be a massive understatement.

I was actually shaking as I pm-ed @HIFreeBirdIH back and literally just could not even think straight.

It seems that my fears were founded as Alexis has published SimGuruDrakes email and has posted what I see as basically a load of rubbish. She has completely disregarded my request to remove my username form her website which would have been as simple as blacking it out with a small black line... and instead has gone on to fabricate some sort of censorship theory which is utter nonsense.

SimsVip could have just admitted that they were in the wrong publishing my username and posts without my permission and removed it as I requested. It was a pretty simple request and a pretty simple solution.

Why am I posting this? Well... already some people have been tagging me and pm-ing me asking questions, which is understandable as the whole post on SimsVip is quite incredible. The simple truth is far more mundane and rather boring... just a simple gal wanting her username removed from another fansite that she is not a member of.

I wonder what this tells us all? Are we so biased that something this simple can be blown out of all proportion? Looks like it eh?

Really sorry about this. Alexis should have done as you asked and removed your name from the post also as @SimGuruDrake said in the email that your conversation was already cleared up. I hope you can continue to feel safe posting here as I really enjoy reading your posts.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Aesir26 wrote: »
    -snip for size and relevance-

I agree that it does seem like EA is placing the blame on the fansites. While I don't condone it, I can also see why. The fansites were given leaked, unofficial information, and ran it. I certainly can't blame those sites for doing so since I might have done the same in their shoes. I'm wondering if it's a case where EA has been unable to find the employee who actually leaked the information so they're now cutting off anyone else that might present themselves as a weak link when it comes to this sort of security. (I'm not sure how since if info is leaked it will get into their hands regardless, but I'm not an insider.)

At the very least it's probably removed those sites from "the loop" regarding future games and invitations to events since I believe other game companies have done that to game news websites in the past when they released leaked information.

I just hope that the damage between EA and the fans can eventually be repaired. It seemed like we were making a little bit of progress with things like the Ask a Guru thread, the Tech Talk thread, and the Reddit thread by SimGuruTrev.

I mean, I wouldn't hold it against them for cutting ties with a fansite for leaking information (although I do think it's kind of a bad decision to begin cutting off all of the fan sites which reported on the leak -- there were lots!) But I do think an official EA representative going to Twitter to police fan blog content is quite drastic..

Maybe a polite email, asking for them to link the announcement too would've been the right move, in that case, if anything.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    The fansites that did what they did knowingly did so and brought it upon themselves. :| They didn't have to leak anything, and if there are ones who didn't, they most certainly should stand against those who did.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has already been posted here.

The level of professionalism from VIP is straight embarrassing. Could you imagine having this much lack of respect for another human being?
    e9046d0b3f.png

Why I don't follow SimsVip. To be honest I hope that people will start to leave her site, but just by what you posted it is seems she just might gain more members to the site and pat herself on the back for being childish, disrespectful and deliberately turning things around to suit her needs.

Well I took a sneaky peak at their forms and aside from one or two toddler threads one thread actually said that their forums have 'gone quiet' so it is hardly the busiest of places ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited September 2016
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    YungGigi wrote: »

I wonder how many 'regular' simmers are in one on one conversations with SimGuruDrake and others. Shouldn't they make themselves available to all simmers? Doesn't this contact give some simmers 'special' status?

I'm pretty sure you know you can PM Drake or any of the Gurus at anytime. But keep throwing 'shade' where there isn't any. ;)

Oh sure anyone can message her but don't expect her to respond to you if she doesn't like you. Which is favoritism by definition. Yet she's supposed to be the objective overall community manager. Please

Drake responds if you treat her like a human being and not like a dog that barks on command.
    I thought that was pretty plain to see by what SimGuruDrake responds to on here. But apparently it's not! :o
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Okay, this is the first time in my life as a Simmer that I've disliked, even hated, some of the fansites in this community. Tried to show another perspective on this thing, then BOOM nope, I'm wrong, because I shouldn't even care about this, have my timeline wrong, are being one of "EA's puppets" and have to go in circles and circles before I can actually get any point across. It's a good thing I'm doing this on a weekend. I would not be able to handle this during a full day of school.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options

Drake responds if you treat her like a human being and not like a dog that barks on command.

This was a while ago but I was speaking to a moderator about one of my threads being improperly closed. The mod agreed they shouldn't have closed it but told me they didn't have the ability to reopen it and I would have to speak to Drake. So I messaged her politely but directly (her favorite word) and asked her to reopen my thread. No response. I sent a follow up message too. Nothing. How much more unprofessional and unwelcoming can the "community manager" be?
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Sorry if this has already been posted here.

The level of professionalism from VIP is straight embarrassing. Could you imagine having this much lack of respect for another human being?
    e9046d0b3f.png

Why I don't follow SimsVip. To be honest I hope that people will start to leave her site, but just by what you posted it is seems she just might gain more members to the site and pat herself on the back for being childish, disrespectful and deliberately turning things around to suit her needs.

Well I took a sneaky peak at their forms and aside from one or two toddler threads one thread actually said that their forums have 'gone quiet' so it is hardly the busiest of places ;)

LOL didn't know there were even forums at the site. This whole thing just sickness me. There is just no need for it. Unwanted attention has been brought onto NZsimm3r. Not to mention feeling she has to come here to defend herself and getting attacked while doing so. The right thing to do would be SimsVip to remove the post and make a public apology, but I don't see that happening.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

This was a while ago but I was speaking to a moderator about one of my threads being improperly closed. The mod agreed they shouldn't have closed it but told me they didn't have the ability to reopen it and I would have to speak to Drake. So I messaged her politely but directly (her favorite word) and asked her to reopen my thread. No response. I sent a follow up message too. Nothing. How much more unprofessional and unwelcoming can the "community manager" be?

Well considering that she stated that the forums take up about 5% of her time, and that she can't exactly read every comment, thread, or PM where she's mentioned, I'd say that it's more of a matter of circumstance rather than her being "unprofessional and unwelcoming."
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Like I said, she's a human being not a robot. She probably has hundreds of people message her a day ONTOP of her other duties. Just because she doesn't respond doesn't mean she's ignoring you.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I guess this post is not going to be particularly clear but I asked Alexis to remove my user name from her initial news article which featured a series of posts between SimGuruDrake and myself. This was where SimGuruDrake made the 'one bad apple' reference.

My reasons for asking SimsVip to remove my user name were two fold. Firstly I do not belong to their forum and felt it was inappropriate for them to display my user name and posts without even letting me know or asking my permission and secondly because I personally felt the whole 'bad apple' comment was taken way out of context and I did not want my username associated with such views.

After pm-ing SimguruDrake here a few times I told her I was nervous about emailing Alexis directly as she might publish my email so SimGuruDRake said she would reach out on my behalf because she didn't want me feeling like I couldn't post here safely.

Alexis PM-ed me here. I replied with a HUGE pm explaining why I wanted my username removed from her website and also explained my position on the 'bad apple' comment.

I am still waiting for Alexis to get back to me.

A few moments ago @HIFreeBirdIH PM-ed me to ask if I was the forum member Alexis was talking about. I hadn't even seen the latest post on SimsVip as tbh I don't even look there anymore as in my view her articles are just not something I find interesting. To say I was shocked would be a massive understatement.

I was actually shaking as I pm-ed @HIFreeBirdIH back and literally just could not even think straight.

It seems that my fears were founded as Alexis has published SimGuruDrakes email and has posted what I see as basically a load of rubbish. She has completely disregarded my request to remove my username form her website which would have been as simple as blacking it out with a small black line... and instead has gone on to fabricate some sort of censorship theory which is utter nonsense.

SimsVip could have just admitted that they were in the wrong publishing my username and posts without my permission and removed it as I requested. It was a pretty simple request and a pretty simple solution.

Why am I posting this? Well... already some people have been tagging me and pm-ing me asking questions, which is understandable as the whole post on SimsVip is quite incredible. The simple truth is far more mundane and rather boring... just a simple gal wanting her username removed from another fansite that she is not a member of.

I wonder what this tells us all? Are we so biased that something this simple can be blown out of all proportion? Looks like it eh?

@NZsimm3r Hope everything will be sorted out soon and apologies will be issued.You should not be involved in the whole story like this.. sending you hugs:)))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that happened! :( Is it really so difficult for them to just black out someone's username? I mean seriously? Am I the only one doing this right now:

Wat-Meme-Black-Girl-02.jpg
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options

Like I said, she's a human being not a robot. She probably has hundreds of people message her a day ONTOP of her other duties. Just because she doesn't respond doesn't mean she's ignoring you.

Yes I agree.

I have messaged her before and she sometimes took a while to reply but she got around to me eventually.

Unless you are messaging her something daft like 'when are you adding toddlers?' (I bet she has actually been asked that before) then she will reply :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

That's exactly what it means. No response = ignore. It may be a question of reason or intent that's up in the air but the fact is I was ignored. And she has had every opportunity to respond up until now. I still have the message in my inbox. She chose not to because she doesn't care for me. It's blatantly obvious when she replies to me in these threads. She has even admitted to being frustrated with some of us and responding inappropriately at times. I'm just expressing that I happen to be on the receiving end of that more times than I'm not.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    Okay, this is the first time in my life as a Simmer that I've disliked, even hated, some of the fansites in this community. Tried to show another perspective on this thing, then BOOM nope, I'm wrong, because I shouldn't even care about this, have my timeline wrong, are being one of "EA's puppets" and have to go in circles and circles before I can actually get any point across. It's a good thing I'm doing this on a weekend. I would not be able to handle this during a full day of school.

Well your remark on how your twitter remark had me wondering what your true intentions were. I don't follow SimsVip but if I did, I would have PMed NZsimm3r to see if she knew what was going on but I wouldn't have made a tweet on the matter. I would have just left it between NZsimm3r and I while giveng her support privately.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top