Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Few Question about The Sims 4 (Newcomer)

So this happened.. I bought myself a new gaming computer that have Windows 10 and sadly... it doesn't support my The Sims 3 CD's. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work which makes me kinda sad because The Sims 3 was one of my first games and basically ''game of my childhood'' and I feel sad that I can't play it anymore..

But to my question.. Some months ago my sister bought herself The Sims 4 but she didn't liked it and don't play it anymore and gave the CD to me.
So I'm deciding if I should give it a try or not.. I want to know if the game is good even without expansions etc. If The Sims 4 need expansions to be playable or is great even without them, because currently I don't have enough money to again buy all expansions. I would probably buy 1-2 expansions but that would be probalby upcoming ''City Life'' and ''Get to Work''.

So to be clear I would like to know if (in your opinion) The Sims 4 is same as good as The Sims 3. And what expansions (1-2) would I need.

I'm sorry if this question is confusing :smiley: I'm a little bit tired and English is not my native language. :blush:

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    edited September 2016
    In my opinion, whether the Sims 4 is as good as the Sims 3 is very much a personal taste thing. For me personally, it's better. For some other people, it isn't. For expansions, my #1 is Get Together, for the club system and world.

But if you really love and miss Sims 3, you might be able to solve your problem without the CDs working. Did you register them in Origin? If you did, you should be able to get the downloads. I believe that @phoebebebe13 and @igazor can help sort out the ins and outs of Tech issues for Sims 3.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    You'll get many opinions on whether Sims 4 is as good as Sims 3. For me, it is not. I miss the open world and create a style. I miss many of the more intimate animations that have been replaced with very odd choices - like a couple clapping their hands and acting like cheerleaders right before they woohoo. Very odd. I like the look of the Sims very much and the game does run smoothly but I absolutely hate the loading screens. I'm afraid that the base game is very basic and I didn't truly start to enjoy the game until I bought Get to Work. Just my opinion. :)
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    If you already have a copy of the disk, the best way to know is to just try it out. I do recommend making sure you go in and get all the free patches that have been released for the game since there have been quite a few fun additions and good content given for free in them.

Personally, I like this version a lot. Like @luthienrising my favorite expansion so far is Get Together for the same reasons (club system and the world), however, there's a new EP that just been teased with a new trailer due out tomorrow so you might want to wait to see what that one's going to look like before getting an expansion.

Honestly, I highly recommend loading the game up, updating it and playing with it for a bit before purchasing any additional content. For some people, the core functionality of the game is the overall issue and no additional content will fix that.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I don't think it's as good- which is not to say Sims 4 is bad but if you loved 3 then there's a lot of difference and missing mechanics imo... well, the more important thing is not being able to play the Sims 3. Hopefully one of the Simmers Luthienrising notified will be able to help you. I play the Sims 3 on Win 10 myself, in fact just a bit ago so it should work unless your discs were really scratched or damaged or you lost the install codes. Hopefully you can find a solution and then you can play both! Your English is great by the way!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,574 Member
    If you already have the cd for The Sims 4, why don't you try it out and see?

But, if TS3 was 'the game of your childhood' then I have a feeling that TS4 will not live up to that. If I were you, I would try it out with the disc (without buying anything else for it yet) and also get some help with installing your sims 3 game.

TS4 is a good game in some respects, but it does have a lot missing from previous versions and it is hard to adjust to it after playing TS3 for a long time. I like it better with Get Together, but it does still need more to it. IMO, Get To Work was a bit of a let-down and could have been done better.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Always depends on what you liked in TS3...if toddlers, CASt, open world, world editing, etc are vital parts of your gameplay you may be a bit let down. But if you have TS4 already you might as well just try it and see.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    S3M1CzechS3M1Czech Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions! I will give The Sims 4 a try and see if I'm willing to give more money into it (expansions).
    Also I will try to install The Sims 3 again but with different way of installation. I don't think this could work (TS3 didn't recognized my hardware/graphic card and system warned my that I have to open in in compatible mode) but if JasonAnthonySterling and other people can play TS3 on Windows 10 there should be any way to make it work. [btw. JasonAnthonySterling thanks for praising my english :smiley: ]

I think I have nothing to loose now :smile: In good case I will have two games :blush: in that worse I will have at least one game.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    S3M1Czech wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions! I will give The Sims 4 a try and see if I'm willing to give more money into it (expansions).
    Also I will try to install The Sims 3 again but with different way of installation. I don't think this could work (TS3 didn't recognized my hardware/graphic card and system warned my that I have to open in in compatible mode) but if JasonAnthonySterling and other people can play TS3 on Windows 10 there should be any way to make it work. [btw. JasonAnthonySterling thanks for praising my english :smiley: ]

I think I have nothing to loose now :smile: In good case I will have two games :blush: in that worse I will have at least one game.

Two is good! A lot of people I know play both.

Did your sister register Sims 4 in her Origin account, though? If so, it can't now be registered to you.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    GrandJuryGrandJury Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2016
    Oh, you should definitely try it out to see if it works for you. I don't know if a free trial is still running..but you can DEFINITELY return the game if it does not meet your expectations.

My opinion:
    Your coming from TS3, which is SUCH a glorious, well put together, content drowning game so comparing the two is like comparing a Lamborghini (The Sims 3) to a 87 Nissan (The Sims 4). Without expansions, boy oh boy.
    If you love The Sims 4, however, I would wait to see the rants reviews of City Life before making a decision. Dine Out is a good pack as well. Get Together is "meh" at best. I can't recommend any of those 🐸🐸🐸🐸 stuff packs though.

Try it out man. See if you like it.
    tumblr_naf4ttSCX81sqhjvzo1_500.jpg
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,653 Member
    Hello
    Your sister would have needed to register the game to her origin account, and so you won't be able to play it on your own origin account. When you install the game using the cd, it will say that the product code has already been used. The game and product code can only be registered to the one origin account. I am sorry :( You will need to buy your own copy to play it though your origin account.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    It all comes down to your play style and what you find in the game to be important, as to whether Sims 4 is better than Sims 3 or vice versa. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges as the two games are so different from each other. I always suggest to players to watch some Let's Plays on The Sims 4 & see if it's something you would like or to actually try it out. With a game where there's no wrong way to play, it's hard to say what's better or not. How I play may be different than how you play, so again, it's all about personal preferences. For me, with The Sims 4 I like the smoothness of the game & how it runs on my computer, as The Sims 3 was glitchy. But for my play style (family/generational), I prefer The Sims 3.
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    If you wish to play TS3, fist exit Orign Completely then right click Origin and select Run As Administrator. Log in with the account that TS3 is registered to then Download and install the digital version. It does work with Windows 10.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    edited September 2016
    S3M1Czech wrote: »
    So this happened.. I bought myself a new gaming computer that have Windows 10 and sadly... it doesn't support my The Sims 3 CD's. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work which makes me kinda sad because The Sims 3 was one of my first games and basically ''game of my childhood'' and I feel sad that I can't play it anymore..

But to my question.. Some months ago my sister bought herself The Sims 4 but she didn't liked it and don't play it anymore and gave the CD to me.
    So I'm deciding if I should give it a try or not.. I want to know if the game is good even without expansions etc. If The Sims 4 need expansions to be playable or is great even without them, because currently I don't have enough money to again buy all expansions. I would probably buy 1-2 expansions but that would be probalby upcoming ''City Life'' and ''Get to Work''.

So to be clear I would like to know if (in your opinion) The Sims 4 is same as good as The Sims 3. And what expansions (1-2) would I need.

I'm sorry if this question is confusing :smiley: I'm a little bit tired and English is not my native language. :blush:

Honestly, I really like The Sims 4. I think given some time it's going to be the best in the Sims franchise. But the problem is, the time it's taking to come out with new material. TS4 has amazing attention to detail and every aspect looks like a piece of art as well as being finely tuned but with the rate of comparisons they had in other Sims titles it can get a little redundant. I personally like TS4 the most but really it's depending on what you want to do because The Sims 3 offers an almost endless variety of Simoleon opportunities. XD
    71rbpi.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,672 Member
    You would have to play the game on your sister's Origin account like what rosemow said. I can't believe no one else emphasized this.

But yeah, you can try it out anyway on your sister's account first and if you want the game, you would have to buy it again to register it on your own account.
    My Top Song of the Day: Empty by The Click Five
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    JadeIredaleJadeIredale Posts: 96 Member
    You really have to try it out for yourself. Everyone has their own opinions about The Sim games. It's pretty mixed!

I mean to be honest, The Sims 3 is my least favorite out of the 4. I prefer 1 and 2 over 3. I still enjoy playing it though!

I haven't got to experiences expansion packs from 4 yet (will be soon), but I really did enjoy the base game. Yes, there are things missing, but I really enjoyed the create a sim, building features, and detail shown. I feel once they release more expansion packs, it could be the best one.
    iqkbd3.jpg
  • Options
    Hello! again thanks everyone for your help and opinions. Here are my results : It seems that The Sims 4 doesn't work (while putting TS4 CD to CD Rom PC somehow don't open the installation file) but! It look like The Sims 3 finally work! (I selected my own installation and choose D: instead of C: ).
  • Options
    and choose D : *
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,653 Member
    It is good that you have been able to get The Sims 3 working on your computer :) That is great!

With the sims 4, as I posted in the above post, you will need to buy your own copy to use through your own origin account http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15187321/#Comment_15187321

I just wanted to let you know that there is a special offer at Origin at the moment that by typing in the code ORIGIN50 you get 50% off the price of the Base game and packs, so it is a good time to buy the game.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! :blush: