Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not Understanding the Nanny

Comments

• Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    I don't get why it has to be the only option to be useful. You don't need a maid for a clean house, you hire one for convenience. You don't need a gardener to have a garden. You don't need a repair person to fix your broken items. But they're still there, available if you'd like to use them?

My Sims freelance writing/painting/etc for income and so far haven't had any career job, but that doesn't mean the jobs are useless, lol. More options are better than less, IMO.

This is quite different, in the baby instance, you as the player aren't doing anything in BOTH cases, so its not comparable.....for a maid, maybe you don't want to hire one because it makes the gameplay more difficult to clean everything yourself. Comparing the two makes no sense.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    I don't get why it has to be the only option to be useful. You don't need a maid for a clean house, you hire one for convenience. You don't need a gardener to have a garden. You don't need a repair person to fix your broken items. But they're still there, available if you'd like to use them?

My Sims freelance writing/painting/etc for income and so far haven't had any career job, but that doesn't mean the jobs are useless, lol. More options are better than less, IMO.

This is quite different, in the baby instance, you as the player aren't doing anything in BOTH cases, so its not comparable.....for a maid, maybe you don't want to hire one because it makes the gameplay more difficult to clean everything yourself. Comparing the two makes no sense.

Huh?
    When I want my sims to nap (or any other at-home activity) all day instead of taking care of the baby, I call the nanny. For convenience. I don't understand how it's any different.

Explain, please.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Schantal wrote: »

You are assuming people will only call the nanny when the adults leave the lot. You can call a nanny to help out even if you are staying home. Anything an NPC can do saves your sim time. Time they might need for tasks, hobbies, self-employed jobs or skill building.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I'm just curious if nannies will be culled.

Of course :)

Haven't tried though. That's going to be for tomorrow to verify

Yes, they're being culled.

Funny thing is, the new nanny came and said: Nice to see you again .. although it was a different one ..
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    catalina_45catalina_45 Posts: 359 Member
    edited July 2016
    Another NPC culled? First was the restaurant's employee now the nanny...
    Post edited by catalina_45 on
    Words are soul's image
  • Options
    sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    I only have one issue with the nanny: that it ignores the fact that the babysitter teen career exists. When I hire a nanny, it would be nice for one of those who are already in the career to arrive, instead of generating new sims.

The nanny also makes it 5/5 of teen careers having duplicates with young adult non-controllable NPCs. Repairman/manual labour, retail employee/GTW retail, barista/cafe, fast food/Dine Out (the only that's arguably not too relevant, but we have the Hogan's Burger Bar), and now babysitter/nanny.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    @sennawales Ahhhh, I'd forgotten about the teen babysitters. It would be nice to have an option to choose the age of the nanny/sitter and if we choose teen, they should be chosen from that career.
  • Options
    MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member

Yes, as you said you don't need a maid, it's just a convenience same with gardener and repairman. However the nanny adds no convenience. If anything it's an inconvenience because you have to call it and everything instead of just leaving
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

Yes, as you said you don't need a maid, it's just a convenience same with gardener and repairman. However the nanny adds no convenience. If anything it's an inconvenience because you have to call it and everything instead of just leaving

You can call them and still stay home though. If you have a freelance income writing or painting, for example, the nanny can take care of the kids while your Sim 'works'. Or if you're not a big family player, the nanny npc can deal with the crying baby and all that for you. Or if you don't want to multi-task between multiple Sims or don't like controlling kids due to limitations or something.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    crinrict wrote: »

Yes, they're being culled.

Funny thing is, the new nanny came and said: Nice to see you again .. although it was a different one ..
    Interesting, thank you for testing that out and that is quite funny.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited July 2016
    Another NPC culled? First was the restaurant's employee now the nanny...

Well, all ServiceNPCs are culled if they're not housed. They are Sims that don't live anywhere and are unplayed and hence they are culled. Same happens to your repairman, your maid, your gardener ..
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    So I tested things. I had my sim start a painting, and then sent his wife to the park, She was there quite awhile and when she came home, her husband who I had started his painting while she was there, did not do anything else on it at all, it was just the way she left it when she went to the park.
    so that being so, I do not believe that the Nanny will do anything with the kids either. I do not have a child right now to test it but I believe it will be the same as above.
    You will have to be playing the kids in order for the Nanny to do anything. And that quenches the reason I would get one in the first place. I do not need one while I am home. The kids can be on their own and things will be the same when my sim returns. Now as the baby, well babies are only here for 3 days. I am sure my Sim can handle that for three days, and ones that work, I think they get some kind of pregnancy leave. I am not sure how that works, stay home with you baby for 3 days or age them up, as if you have a Nanny, you won't see anything anyway if you are away. I don't get it. If you are home you do not need a nanny, one picture someone posted and the family was watching TV and there was a Nanny there, what do you need a nanny for while watching TV. Would it not be better for relations to play with your child, read to them and have fun with them. Help them with their homework.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Lol, I can't believe people are saying the nanny isn't a convenience .. it really is funny to me. Do the people saying this even play the game now? What are they basing that on? I've been playing with this since yesterday. I'm playing larger families that I didn't attempt before.. because I have help for my sims now while they are at home. I haven't had all the adults leave the lot so no clue how that game play goes, but that wouldn't be the purpose for nannies for my sims usually anyway. One sim got his programming done for their job and filled all their needs (which basically took up all their spare time) and took off to work. If he had been a single dad.. he would have left for work exhausted without the nanny there. He's not but there are uses for the nanny beyond the parents going to party. The stay at home mom got to garden and sleep and even got a little fishing in before coming to play with the baby for a bit. The nanny helped the school age child with their homework.. which helps get the homework done faster so the child had more time to get their needs met.
    These reactions just make me wonder.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Not just the nanny but even the backyard stuff pack is pointless. The game needs A LOT more essential things than what they are offering.
    Instead of Nanny, I would have been pleased more if they offered even one job that I would be using more.
    The careers in this game are far from normal and very few. There are no custom careers available too. This is too sad. I am really fed up from using the same set of careers for many of my sims.

I love to have nanny but right now and without toddlers they are pointless completely.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    My Sim is a professional violinist and restaurateur. She recently became a baby mama and is collecting $294 in child support. Baby is now a child. I hired a nanny even though both mother and child were home. Nanny complimented child for doing homework, cleaned up dirty dishes, made an 8 plate party meal and sat down to watch TV. I enabled the restaurant to make money for my Sim and had her write a couple songs.

I guess the nanny isn't really needed, since the child Sim was still doing stuff and keeping occupied but it's like having another sim in the home to help without you having to take control over. Honestly reminds me a lot of the Butler from sims 3. Did a lot of things my Sim would easily do themselves but if they've got the money, why not? That's how nannys work in real life anyway.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    It's good that they have added nannies. However, like most of the stuff they've added so far, they are only "for show". Why are there no consequences if you don't hire a nanny and leave the children unattended? (Social worker maybe?) hiring a nanny to take care of your sims' children adds realism but a bigger problem hasn't been addressed: this game has no consequences. If you don't hire a nanny, babies will just be sent to magical daycare and children will be ok all by themselves.

In Ts2 I loved that Brandi Broke was so poor that she couldn't even leave her house because she had no money to pay the nanny, and you couldn't just leave your children unattended. Those kind of consequences are what makes the game interesting for me
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I got a male YA manny. He spawned with pink eyebrows, lol!

As far as I've seen, the one legit reason to need a nanny now when parents aren't around is the bed monsters. Besides caring for babies, that's the only thing I can think of that a kid couldn't solve on their own without an adult around. Maybe fire? I don't actually know if kids can put out fire or not.

I've only used a nanny so far with my household of 3 kids while the parents went out on a date. For the record, switching back and forth between the parents on a date and the kids at home with the nanny was sort of a fail. I was hoping I'd be able to switch between the two, play the parents for a while, play the kids for a while. But the nanny charged the initial $60 both times I re-loaded the house, not just once at the beginning. I didn't get to see him cook anything because when I returned to the kids, they were magically fed, even though I'd left them hungry. Also, I'd sent the kids to bed before I switched to the parents, but when I returned to the kids again, they were all awake and out of bed. :\
  • Options
    jacqpinksjacqpinks Posts: 2,118 Member
    In the sims 2 and 3 the Nanny would show up automatically when a adult left the house or would ask would you like a nanny because the game wouldn't allow children, babies or toddlers at home on their own. I would like them to do the same this game were children are left alone at home or have no curfew is really silly :(
    Jacqpinks ♥'s The Sims
  • Options
    Twoeta_BirdTwoeta_Bird Posts: 124 Member
    my nanny just showed up and stood on the front porch. She wouldn't even come inside. So I don't understand how it's helpful.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    my nanny just showed up and stood on the front porch. She wouldn't even come inside. So I don't understand how it's helpful.

That sounds like a mod conflict.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    jacqpinks wrote: »
    In the sims 2 and 3 the Nanny would show up automatically when a adult left the house or would ask would you like a nanny because the game wouldn't allow children, babies or toddlers at home on their own. I would like them to do the same this game were children are left alone at home or have no curfew is really silly :(

Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Lol, I can't believe people are saying the nanny isn't a convenience .. it really is funny to me. Do the people saying this even play the game now? What are they basing that on? I've been playing with this since yesterday. I'm playing larger families that I didn't attempt before.. because I have help for my sims now while they are at home. I haven't had all the adults leave the lot so no clue how that game play goes, but that wouldn't be the purpose for nannies for my sims usually anyway. One sim got his programming done for their job and filled all their needs (which basically took up all their spare time) and took off to work. If he had been a single dad.. he would have left for work exhausted without the nanny there. He's not but there are uses for the nanny beyond the parents going to party. The stay at home mom got to garden and sleep and even got a little fishing in before coming to play with the baby for a bit. The nanny helped the school age child with their homework.. which helps get the homework done faster so the child had more time to get their needs met.
    These reactions just make me wonder.

I play the game and play generation, If you have so many Sims, and they do not leave the lot, why do you need a nanny. the kids take care of there own needs. My Sims can write books, and Paint and the kids get along just fine. My kids don't go to school, so home work is out. I can tell them to do many things while the parents Write and Paint. Like take a bath, eat, read, use the compute, or call friends over to play with The babies in Sims 4 are only babies for 3 days, so I program my sims days to take care of them for the 3 days, they still get enough writing and Painting done to support them very well, all without a nanny. . Pray tell me what kind of housework do your sims have to do that they would need a Nanny, I find that there is not much house work for the Sims in Sims 4. Put books away, clean the toilet, tub and counters, how often. My kids are home and have lots of fun, they collect, fish, play, can't wait for the Slip and Slide, and they won't need a nanny to be there. even if they are a single parent. But if that is how you like to play, then that is your game play, but some of us, would rather not have a nanny and see no need.

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    Pff.. two years later a nanny.. sorry but are you going to patch in a NPC every (half)year? We need them yesterday.. precisely since the release in the basegame.

We still dont have burglars, firemen, policeman and gardeners for our own lot.. Like this it will be take 2/3 years more for those to come in the game.. what is the point of it? Thats more the accurate question if you ask me.

I agree. I miss the burglar, cops ant the rest of the NPCs

The burglar was messed up in Sims3, however. Almost always they got away! Face/palm. I'm guessing the ineptitude of the Sunset Valley, et al, police department was the very reason we don't have active police NPCs in this iteration. By the way, I love the police in RL. But in the Sims3, not so much. LOL

I would disagree on the burglars in 3 at least in my experience, never had one get away.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    Pff.. two years later a nanny.. sorry but are you going to patch in a NPC every (half)year? We need them yesterday.. precisely since the release in the basegame.

We still dont have burglars, firemen, policeman and gardeners for our own lot.. Like this it will be take 2/3 years more for those to come in the game.. what is the point of it? Thats more the accurate question if you ask me.

I agree. I miss the burglar, cops ant the rest of the NPCs

The burglar was messed up in Sims3, however. Almost always they got away! Face/palm. I'm guessing the ineptitude of the Sunset Valley, et al, police department was the very reason we don't have active police NPCs in this iteration. By the way, I love the police in RL. But in the Sims3, not so much. LOL

I would disagree on the burglars in 3 at least in my experience, never had one get away.

My burglars always got away. Even when they got beat up.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    Not just the nanny but even the backyard stuff pack is pointless. The game needs A LOT more essential things than what they are offering.
    Instead of Nanny, I would have been pleased more if they offered even one job that I would be using more.
    The careers in this game are far from normal and very few. There are no custom careers available too. This is too sad. I am really fed up from using the same set of careers for many of my sims.

I love to have nanny but right now and without toddlers they are pointless completely.

This, as well as new traits, aspirations,etc. for the sims. I'd
    Love to see favorites and the zodiac added back too.