Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ageing between saves?

Hi,
I was just wondering if there was a way to enabled aging on 1 particular save game and not enable it on another save gamed.
Right now I have no idea to it, and am currently going into setting an enabling/disabling aging depending on what save I'm playing.I sometime forgot to enable or disable and it kind of ruin my playing style. So was just wondering if there a way to save your options between saves.

Comments

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited July 2016
    As far as I know (and if I'm interpreting you correctly) just turn aging off in the setting for one save, and turn it on* in the other. Once the games are 'saved', so to speak, the settings should remain until you change them...!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm only going on how I would expect it to work. Saving on this game, in general, baffles me to no end.

--T

*Typo
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited July 2016
    All aging settings are indeed save-specific, not for the whole game.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited July 2016

Ah, well there you have it, OP. You're good to go!

--T

PS: Thanks for the conformation Luth!
  • Options
    To7m wrote: »

Ah, well there you have it, OP. You're good to go!

--T

PS: Thanks for the conformation Luth!

Any time :)

The one that gets me is which is default for a new save: and the answer to that, I accidentally discovered, is aging on, not off. Yay for being able to roll back saves to before all those old folks died!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Since when? If I set aging off for my current game and start a new one aging remains off for a new game, too. Unless I go in and change it to something else and will stay that way forever for any new game I start or any save I save. Unless the player remembers to change it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »

Since when? If I set aging off for my current game and start a new one aging remains off for a new game, too. Unless I go in and change it to something else and will stay that way forever for any new game I start or any save I save. Unless the player remembers to change it.

Since launch?? My aging-off saves and my aging-on saves have never altered each other. They consistently save aging-on or aging-off, no matter which one I last played. I just tested all this with both existing and new saves. Existing saves maintain their aging-off/on setting on opening and at saving, regardless of the setting of the previous save.

That said, a new save now seem to be taking the same aging settings as the previous save, so I'll grant you that. Pretty sure that wasn't the case half a year ago when I started a new save for the first time in months, having played only aging off and intending to do the same again :/ But I could be wrong on that - maybe I'd made an aging-on save for some reason and forgotten it?? I don't think I did, though.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Since launch?? My aging-off saves and my aging-on saves have never altered each other. They consistently save aging-on or aging-off, no matter which one I last played. I just tested all this with both existing and new saves. Existing saves maintain their aging-off/on setting on opening and at saving, regardless of the setting of the previous save.

That said, a new save now seem to be taking the same aging settings as the previous save, so I'll grant you that. Pretty sure that wasn't the case half a year ago when I started a new save for the first time in months, having played only aging off and intending to do the same again :/ But I could be wrong on that - maybe I'd made an aging-on save for some reason and forgotten it?? I don't think I did, though.

This is confusing to me because a guru told me the saves are the same game even if you just rename it like with Save As. So, to me it's just continuing the same game at different points of time as to when you save it, even if you rename that save. ETA: Only way to have a different save is to start a new game. But even then you have to go in and change the options to be different or they will stay the same for all games you may start.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

This is confusing to me because a guru told me the saves are the same game even if you just rename it like with Save As. So, to me it's just continuing the same game at different points of time as to when you save if, even if you rename that save.

Save As doesn't start a fresh game - it just changes the filename. I'm talking about from-scratch separate savegames, not ones you changed the name of. My from-scratch separate games do not affect each others game options.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The saves are absolutely independent of each other. I've had the same two saves since the game came out, one where aging is off, and one where aging is set to long.

I've never experienced any issues with either in regards to gameplay settings.
  • Options
    The saves are absolutely independent of each other. I've had the same two saves since the game came out, one where aging is off, and one where aging is set to long.

But you do mean these were two separate games you started, correct?
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    I think what you may be thinking of is if you add a new HOUSEHOLD to a pre-existing save. THIS would be the same save and the settings would apply over all households in that save.

Creating an entirely new save, via the top right hand menu, is separate and the settings will only apply to that save, and all households in that save.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2016

But you do mean these were two separate games you started, correct?

Yes
  • Options
    AUWoofieAUWoofie Posts: 186 Member
    So I currently have a save with ageing turned off, If i want to start sort of a generation family, all i have to do it return to main menu and create a new save, and turn on ageing and the settings will be different for both saves?
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    AUWoofie wrote: »
    So I currently have a save with ageing turned off, If i want to start sort of a generation family, all i have to do it return to main menu and create a new save, and turn on ageing and the settings will be different for both saves?

No. You have to make a new game for the settings to be different.

I always play with aging off but sometimes when I start a new game, aging is turned on.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    AUWoofie wrote: »

Yes. If you return to the main menu and start a new game (NOT a new household in your current game. New game is the plus sign in the upper right corner) and adjust the aging settings in your new game, it will not effect your old save.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    AUWoofieAUWoofie Posts: 186 Member
    Thanks guys, I think I've worked it out.
    I've always wanted to start a legacy family, but I get too attached to my sims and don't want them to die, but now I can :)

Thanks!