Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good/evil mermaids!

A lot of people are talking about supernaturals like witches, vampires and werewolves, but are mostly overlooking one of the most beautiful ones: mermaids.

I've been reading a lot of the supernatural threads, and have seen that basically everyone would like bad, good or neutral SPs. This got me thinking: what if mermaids were bad or good too?

Good mermaids could sing pretty songs, ask fish to dance (this would make a school of fish swim around in an upwards swirl that looks really beautiful), kiss sims that are drowning or have drowned to make them temporarily breathe underwater/come alive, befriend sharks etc.

Bad mermaids could lure sims into the ocean by singing and then drown them, have sharks attack sims, steal divers' stuff (like stealing things from your inventory of even snatching the oxygen tank, giving them 20 seconds to get to the surface or they'll drown etc.

Neutral/all mermaids can sit on rocks and comb their hair, own special necklaces that give them control over waves (such as causing a massive wave that sends sims on the beach in a scurry or calming the sea during a storm etc.), have a special shell that acts as a phone and mermaid summoning device etc.

What are your thoughts and ideas on good/bad mermaids?

Comments

• Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    maybe. will the bad mermaids have tentacles like ursula?
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Lol, reminds me of how mermaids that had th evil trait in TS3 could make sharks attack sims
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited July 2016
    Great thread, OP!
    I think the initial idea is a really cool one.

Instead of blanket good, bad, neutral, I'd like for them to tie the options to traits. Currently our traits don't do a whole lot, so I think it would be awesome if you have a mermaid with an evil trait, she can do something that other mermaids who lack it cannot.

They did a great job with the childish trait in the game, allowing it give sims who have it to execute unique interactions that other sims cannot. It's like they sort of dropped that ball with later development, though. I'd like to see them pursue that avenue a little more by bringing traits into play more readily with ideas like this.

So yes on good and bad mermaids, but I don't want you to choose "I'm good" "I'm bad" "I'm neutral", I want the mermaid's selected traits to provide those cues/prompts.
    Examples
    Mermaids with an evil trait: Can sing by the shore, lure sims into the water, and drown them. Their ashes are mailed to their family in a bottle that's tied with a seaweed bow.

Mermaids with the romantic trait: Can lure sims into the water for a romantic interlude, returning them back to land with a special buff and some ocean treasure (maybe a conch shell that allows you to contact the mermaid).

I don't expect unique interactions for ALL the traits, but a pleasant smattering of 4 or 5 traits making unique interactions by a mermaid sims possible, would really make my day.
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    That is an awesome idea!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @ceres_meiriona
    Mermaids with an evil trait: Can sing by the shore, lure sims into the water, and drown them. Their ashes are mailed to their family in a bottle that's tied with a seaweed bow.

Plum loving that seaweed bow xD
    Yes I agree with what you say. Some trait-specific gameplay would be really great! Love your ideas :smile:
  • Options
    Ugh that quote was a fail.

@Ceres_Meiriona
    Loving that seaweed bow xD
    Yes I agree with what you say. Some trait-specific gameplay would be really great! Love your ideas :smile:
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

Those are called "Cecaelia". :)
    I love 'mermaids' with alternate tails, like sharks, sea horses, eels, or other types of fish like lionfish. If mermaids are added, I hope there is a good selection of tails to choose from.

Mermaid_by_firecrow78.jpg
    tumblr_nfi42au5Hs1qf5jd6o1_500.jpg
    hammerhead_shark_mermaid_by_ioruko-d76kc1t.jpg
    tumblr_m8izxmsgMv1qlxziho1_500.jpg
    2dfd7d6c465976fa7eb6fcd1c991d660.jpg

Why be plain, where there are so many choices!
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    A lot of people are talking about supernaturals like witches, vampires and werewolves, but are mostly overlooking one of the most beautiful ones: mermaids.

I've been reading a lot of the supernatural threads, and have seen that basically everyone would like bad, good or neutral SPs. This got me thinking: what if mermaids were bad or good too?

Good mermaids could sing pretty songs, ask fish to dance (this would make a school of fish swim around in an upwards swirl that looks really beautiful), kiss sims that are drowning or have drowned to make them temporarily breathe underwater/come alive, befriend sharks etc.

Bad mermaids could lure sims into the ocean by singing and then drown them, have sharks attack sims, steal divers' stuff (like stealing things from your inventory of even snatching the oxygen tank, giving them 20 seconds to get to the surface or they'll drown etc.

Neutral/all mermaids can sit on rocks and comb their hair, own special necklaces that give them control over waves (such as causing a massive wave that sends sims on the beach in a scurry or calming the sea during a storm etc.), have a special shell that acts as a phone and mermaid summoning device etc.

What are your thoughts and ideas on good/bad mermaids?

Mermaids were my fav supernatural.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »

I love 'mermaids' with alternate tails, like sharks, sea horses, eels, or other types of fish like lionfish. If mermaids are added, I hope there is a good selection of tails to choose from.

/snip/

Not just tail customisation. Ears too, in a variety of fin shapes. These could work for aquatic type alien species too... Alien merfolk or alien/merfolk hybrids. :p

As to good/neutral/evil special abilities I like the idea of tying them to traits. The good trait is kind of useless atm, and the evil one isn't much better (has nice idles though).

They should go through all the traits with each new lifestate (retroactively for aliens and vice versa for any new traits too) and see if they can add anything that makes sense for each one. Obviously skip traits where nothing comes to mind, but there's potential for a lot new actions based on traits.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2016
    I want merfolk

Hopefully it would kind of work like Werewolves.

Merfolk can shape shift by using with the Moon,

It was from Once Upon a Time, according to the show's mermaid mythology, Ariel explains to Snow White "On Highest tide, the Sea Goddess, Ursula, Grants her kind with the power to walk on dry land."
    but there is a catch high tide only lasts 6 hours. Once tides recede back to normal/ or become low Tide, Mermaids must return to the sea before the 6 hours are up, because they'll lose the ability until the next High Tide.

I like the concept because it's would add a bit of a challenge, and for players who want the ability to traverse land and sea at will, they get to work for something.

Craft and Enchant sea Jewelry to walk shift at will
    Wear said jewelry to turn into a mermaid, take off jewelry to turn into a mermaid

and/or

Obtain Poseidon's Trident - gain powers of all the ocean and unlock various Sea Creature transformation as well as turning into a human.

I just hope Mermaid Legs have no signs of scales in human form.

I feel Like Abilities and objects exclusive to a specific alignment is a bit overrated.

Yes there is Light and Dark Magic but you don't necessarily have to be Evil to access dark magic, and you don't have to be good to access light magic. It's all about intention.
    Like My Sorcerer, When the Time Comes, His Alignment is Good, but there are times where he's going to have to use dark magic. and I don't want to change his alignment just to use that dark magic.

So that being said I think the abilities or objects should not be exclusive to an alignment.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    lmusiclmusic Posts: 288 Member
    Love this idea, would be great to have on a beach/tropical vacation pack.
  • Options
    queentellerqueenteller Posts: 44 Member
    I love all these ideas for mermaids! For the evil mermaids I definitely think a "siren" vibe would be good for them. Something that might be interesting for the dark mermaids is they could appear and sing beautifully till they lure sims in and show their true colors. Would love to see lots of bright beautiful colors and different types of fins for them also :smile:
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    Absolutely! I love mermaids; and I loved them in Sims 3; Island Paradise was one of my favorite expansion packs. I want to be able to have scuba diving back; and mermaids, even sharks, though I hated them...and all the hundreds of different sea life: Tropical fish (for our aquariums back at home), sea-horses, seashells, corals, starfish, etc, etc.) and of course, mermaids to have better "powers". I liked that a Sim was able to call a mermaid, but I want some of things you mentioned.

However, I think good mermaids should be able to befriend dolphins instead; and bad ones should befriend sharks; also feel that good/bad should have their own unique spells/powers.

Charming, singing, On land be able to control water for good and bad reasons.

If they're into gardening, they could help their wilting plants, and stuff like that. ;x and of course.. other powers because it didn't seem like we got many with Sims 3. :(
  • Options
    lmusiclmusic Posts: 288 Member
    Mermaid could even be a state, like Plant Sim, where you need to swim every couple of hours!
  • Options
    Also, if you guys are interested in an Island Paradise EP, feel free to read my detailed description of a Tiki Island Paradise EP on this site, that includes a tropical island (which I explained in deph), mermaids, house boats, scuba diving etc.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/886241/sims-4-tiki-island-paradise-ep#latest

Happy simming!
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

i did not know that... that's cool. i used to know an artist who later did covers for scifi novels. in his paintings, the baby/children merfolk would have their tails curled up in a nautilus shell... as if they were still developing or maybe they were being protected. i always thought that was so charming.
  • Options
    gamingstylistgamingstylist Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2016
    Mermaids and other variations would be awesome, though as long as they can eat normal food and get full too , I was always lazy in sims 3 and bought fish for my mermaid
    Post edited by gamingstylist on
  • Options
    @gamingstylist I agree that it should be easier to feed mermaids this time around. They should still can eat kelp and raw fish, but that shouldn't be the only foods that fill them up. Any recipe with kelp or fish should make them full like normal sims would be.
    Of course, new kelp recipes exclusive to mermaids or friends of mermaids should be introduced.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

i did not know that... that's cool. i used to know an artist who later did covers for scifi novels. in his paintings, the baby/children merfolk would have their tails curled up in a nautilus shell... as if they were still developing or maybe they were being protected. i always thought that was so charming.

That is seriously adorable.

I wouldn't mind other water creatures, like selkies, to be added, too. You could even have evil Sims steal their pelts while they are on land, and they would have to get it back before being able to return to the water.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png