Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cut scenes

Anyone else remember the cut scenes in sims 2? Those were amazing. I hope they can return them maybe in the next sims franchise? I don't think they'll be putting them in for this iteration.

Comments

• Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    Yes I loved those, it would be great if they added them again.
  • Options
    MagicAndPancakesMagicAndPancakes Posts: 149 Member
    I really miss the cut scenes as well as the memories from TS2
  • Options
    cuddles5427cuddles5427 Posts: 101 Member
    Oh my goodness, how could I have forgotten about the cut scenes? When I first installed the sims 3, it was the biggest loss for me. It really aided in intensifying an important moment. If the sims 4 gets a sort of memory element, I hope it's similar to the sims 2 (and not the sims 3 version of memories)
    SiggyForSimsNow_zpsk1i15rwv.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I always wonder about the magic in games. How do they make a game remember which Sims should be in the cut scenes? And one other thing how do other games know what to call the user when they are talking to the user? Lol I know that one isn't clear. Like say in a casual game and you enter your player name to start a game. Then the game later on says things like Mary, what would you like to eat? lol I don't know I like the mystery of games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I always wonder about the magic in games. How do they make a game remember which Sims should be in the cut scenes? And one other thing how do other games know what to call the user when they are talking to the user? Lol I know that one isn't clear. Like say in a casual game and you enter your player name to start a game. Then the game later on says things like Mary, what would you like to eat? lol I don't know I like the mystery of games.

@Cinebar The magic lies within the code. The easiest, most comprehensive way for me to explain how it may work would be to use Apple's Swift programming language (used to build apps) and VERY simple code. It, or the way I explain it, might still be confusing though, so don't feel bad if it is hard to understand.

Here is some code:
    var simName = "Bob Pancakes"
    var pancakesCooked = true

if pancakesCooked {
    print ("\(simName) has cooked up some pancakes!")
    }

End result: Bob Pancakes has cooked up some pancakes!
    The code above declares the Sim's name to be Bob Pancakes. The code below prints "Bob Pancakes has cooked up some pancakes!" only, and absolutely only, if pancakes are actually cooked. Above, it says the pancakes are cooked, so it prints that message. Notice how Bob Pancakes was printed within the message, despite me not having to type it outright. This is because I declared Bob Pancake's name at the very top of the code.

Now, if we use Mary and her hunger, as you asked in your question, it would work very similar. In this example, the code would print the message, "Mary are you hungry?" ONLY if her hunger bar value is declared to be below the value of 5. See the end result at the very bottom of these images.

1luNPvy.png

Now, I've set her hunger bar value to 10, therefore, the other result message is printed.

9OC9OBW.png

The Sims 4 isn't coded in Swift, as only Apple products make use of that programming language. However, it is coded in, I believe, either a language called Python or C++, or both. It would work pretty similar to my examples, though, except way more complicated, with a lot more variables and a lot more events triggered, other than a simple message printed.
    Post edited by Sk8rblaze on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

@Cinebar The magic lies within the code. The easiest, most comprehensive way for me to explain how it may work would be to use Apple's Swift programming language (used to build apps) and VERY simple code. It, or the way I explain it, might still be confusing though, so don't feel bad if it is hard to understand.

Here is some code:
    var simName = "Bob Pancakes"
    var pancakesCooked = true

if pancakesCooked {
    print ("\(simName) has cooked up some pancakes!")
    }

End result: Bob Pancakes has cooked up some pancakes!
    The code above declares the Sim's name to be Bob Pancakes. The code below prints "Bob Pancakes has cooked up some pancakes!" only, and absolutely only, if pancakes are actually cooked. Above, it says the pancakes are cooked, so it prints that message. Notice how Bob Pancakes was printed within the message, despite me not having to type it outright. This is because I declared Bob Pancake's name at the very top of the code.

Now, if we use Mary and her hunger, as you asked in your question, it would work very similar. In this example, the code would print the message, "Mary are you hungry?" ONLY if her hunger bar value is declared to be below the value of 5. See the end result at the very bottom of these images.

1luNPvy.png

Now, I've set her hunger bar value to 10, therefore, the other result message is printed.

9OC9OBW.png

The Sims 4 isn't coded in Swift, as only Apple products make use of that programming language. However, it is coded in, I believe, either a language called Python or C++, or both. It would work pretty similar to my examples, though, except way more complicated, with a lot more variables and a lot more events triggered, other than a simple message printed.

Thank you! That's all very interesting! I understood some of it. lol Like in an old game I could build my own special map and what would happen on that map by using the creator's template (and their instructions) and change a few words etc. then viola there was the scenario! I haven't done stuff like that in years but I find code extremely interesting in games. But over my head. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    I DO miss Thesims2 cutscenes a lot. Honestly every time i spend some time without playing the game and come back, they cheer me up. Those romance cutscenes might not be explicit in the literal sense but they make the romance of Thesims3 and Thesims4 seem platonic.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I recall liking the cut scenes the first time or two then getting tired of them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    I can still remember the graduation cutscenes for university-goers! :)
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    I recall liking the cut scenes the first time or two then getting tired of them.

yeah thats how i feel too.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Sadly, it's too hard and expensive to disable UI, focus the camera on a determined position and put two black bars through the screen for a few seconds.
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    I really liked the cutscenes, even though they can get old e make the situation seem universal and equal for every sim envolved. But I still like them, especially the Giving Birth Cutscene... The Plumbob suddenly duplicates, this is such a cute way of showing a sim birth!! So precious.

https://youtu.be/DxbN7cPo_kk?t=2m50s
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yes, I definitely miss the cutscenes! I hope they eventually bring some to TS4 in a patch. That would probably be further down the road, though, since it would take lots of time to do the animation for them...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    I have always adored the first kiss cutscene...beautiful and adorable :)
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    The cut scenes were great. I loved the first kiss scene so much, it was so cute! There were a lot of other great ones too, and I always thought those moments helped me bond more with my Sims. As much as I enjoy TS3, I think the series lost a bit of its soul when they did away with cut scenes.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Not a fan of the cut scenes. It's as if I'm pulled out of the game, supposed to be watching a show all of a sudden instead of playing. There's always an invisible cord between me and my sims while playing and all the cut scenes do is snip that cord. I'm sure my facial expression during cut scenes is always something like this:

anigif_enhanced-11615-1440679234-2_preview.gif

Still clicking in confusion and before I understand 'oooh, this is one of those... ok' it's over and I can proceed.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Not a fan of the cut scenes. It's as if I'm pulled out of the game, supposed to be watching a show all of a sudden instead of playing. There's always an invisible cord between me and my sims while playing and all the cut scenes do is snip that cord. I'm sure my facial expression during cut scenes is always something like this:

Still clicking in confusion and before I understand 'oooh, this is one of those... ok' it's over and I can proceed.

Haha! Now I'm going to imagine this picture every time I get a cut scene in any game. :lol:
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Haha! Now I'm going to imagine this picture every time I get a cut scene in any game. :lol:
    Oh haha, I hope not, when you're enjoying them :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Grabbing an "I agree with @JoAnne65 " moment :)

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member

I think that's also the face I always pulled at the bubble bath woohoo scene...that scene was sooooo cringe worthy, especially with the music that accompanied it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    LiesSim wrote: »

I think that's also the face I always pulled at the bubble bath woohoo scene...that scene was sooooo cringe worthy, especially with the music that accompanied it.

Lol, that scene was kinda goofy. But, I thought it was funny. At least, I did back then, maybe I've just got my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses on today. :grimace:

I totally understand why some people say that the cut scenes broke immersion for them, but for some reason it was always the opposite experience for me.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member
    The cutscenes in 2 I believe were meant for storytelling purposes as they would record using the in-game video capture. I don't think they were soley intended for normal gameplay but you had the option of having them on or off anyway. I like them on because I think they look cool
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member

It would be nice if we could disable them if they are ever added. Not the best thing to have enabled if you have a full Household xD
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.