Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rate My Build! Comment And Rate Other's Builds!

Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
edited June 2016 in The Sims 3 Builders
RATE MY BUILD:

Rate My Build is a new service which I am opening up today! All you have to do is post your builds, from ANY Sims game, and I will comment on them and give criticism where needed.

RULES:
  1. Don't Spam
  2. Keep All Discussion Civil

If you ignore these two rules, you will be barred from using this service.

Anyone may join the team of Raters, all you have to do is comment on this thread!

What Each Number Means

1 - Why Are You Even Here?
2 - Maybe a SINGLE decent thing in the build
3 - One nice thing, but mostly just plum
4 - Not very pleasant, but definitely improvable
5 - Average. Weigh-Up of Good and Bad points
6 - Everything is good but it has ONE CRITICAL flaw
7 - Good Build, only minor flaws
8 - Great Build with a couple minor flaws
9 - Exceptional but only ONE minor flaw
10 - No flaws. Perfect. (This will only ever be slightly seen)

Have A Nice Day! -Swift-
Post edited by Swiftlover13 on

Comments

• Options
    Nora_675Nora_675 Posts: 65 Member
    Go on; I'll have a punt at this.

Here's something I've been working on for a long time. It starting off ridiculously big and just spawned error code 12 messages all the time. However after much revision it's finally playable, finished and up for download!

0173c158-1269-4bbe-a7d5-e19f78606c45_zps7ad1y3kq.jpg

The20Mural20Hall_zps2uig5hnc.jpg

The20Gilded20Library_zps4w1zotow.jpg

The20Dining20Room_zps6curfsm8.jpg
  • Options
    Hi @Nora_675 !

Your build is extremely grand, well done! You have achieved the look I'm sure you were going for. Two things though, I think you should decorate by furnishing it rather than too much with the colour. For example, the second picture has so many lines and directions that it is almost dizzying and not at all pleasant to look at! Try to avoid using a single item over and over, because it gets repetitive and sickening. Add more variety to your furnishing and use more furniture rather than decoration.
    Secondly, I would recommend that you try to avoid symmetry. In a grand build like this, it is a common characteristic, but make sure that you don't have complete symmetry in your furnishing. Symmetry works well if done in moderation, but you've overdone the symmetry in this build to the point where it's become stale. Add more variety and fill in the spaces!

Your Build Gets a 6.7/10 from me. I'll add descriptions to my scoring system in the top post.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hey thanks for you feedback.

Hmm; I'm not sure more furniture would work in an entrance hall to be honest. But then I'm not fond of overly furnished spaces. Different strokes for different folks I guess. It's funny the one thing that has struck me all the times I have visited various country houses is their fabulous use of colour. The murals on the entrance hall walls at Chatsworth Palace are nothing short of stunning. In fact it was that room which inspired the room in the second picture.

I know what you mean about the symmetry; however I'm not great at breaking it. I tried decorating a birthday cake the other week and it looked depressingly formal. Had to get my husband in to restore the joy by placing icing polka dots in a much less regimented way!

Thanks for your comments; it's always good to hear what other simmers think :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback on my feedback! It's very useful because this is the first time I've provided this service! Judging by your post count, it seems you are new; Would you like to join the RMB team?

It would be beneficial for you because it would help you get into the community, and it would be beneficial for me because this service needs momentum. Of course, I won't force you to join, but it's open for signups.
  • Options
    No problem :)

It was actually really nice to get some constructive criticism; personally I find it really useful.

I've actually been a member since 2012 however I had my account hacked and had to create a new one :# As for your kind offer I don't really have the time at the moment. I'm in the middle of relocating and have an 11 month old little boy who has just discovered how to crawl! So I spend most of my days covered in banana mush moving things out of his reach :D I wouldn't want to commit then let you down later.

This is a great thread and a great idea. I really hope it takes off. <3
  • Options
    It's fine. It wouldn't matter anyway if you didn't commit, I don't!

Thanks for replying again!
  • Options
    BronteDuffy96BronteDuffy96 Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2018
    delete
    Post edited by BronteDuffy96 on
  • Options
    Hi doicky96,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Not sure I can do much about the compulsive symmetry, as I said to Swiftlover13 I've just not got it in me! I love asymmetrical builds but I just can't pull it off myself. Going to place a vase the other side of the Venus statue in The Mural Hall and re-CAS't the library. Got an idea for sky blue and gold. Also going to take out two of the stairs and simplify the floor to create something which (hopefully) is far easier on the eye! I'll post the pics in my thread so I don't clutter up this one!
  • Options
    imdragonitimdragonit Posts: 1,019 Member
    I'll have a go at it, you need at least one person who will only be a 1...lol!
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Nora_675 very grand build, reminds me of the Rocco period.
  • Options
    Hi @imdragonit !

Your build is very simple. It captures the look of a cheaper home in the future. If this was the look you were going for, then great! If you wanted it to look more expensive, then you would need to detail it more. Also, try not to have too much symmetry on the outdoors. The design of the house is symmetrical in 4 directions which takes away interest from the build. Honestly, this build reminds me of when I was first starting out. Something I've learnt is to watch House Building videos on YouTube created by more experienced simmers. Make a few test builds using tricks you've picked up and carry on using them. Naturally, those techniques will be refined even without thought and you will most certainly improve.

I'd give your build a 4.6/10
  • Options
    You may have guessed that I can be rather harsh...
  • Options
    @Swiftlover13 not a 1 I can accept that, to me the symmetry was unavoidable as I wanted a nova star look from the overview.
  • Options
    XLexisimsXXLexisimsX Posts: 44 Member
    Hello! I really like your idea for the service, @Swiftlover13 , and whenever I get the sims 4 I plan to use it xD
  • Options
    Hey,

I've made some changes to the build and updated The Mural Hall and The Gilded Library over in my thread. Would you bob over and take a look with that harsh feedback of yours? :D Don't want to spam your thread with pictures of my build over and over!!
  • Options
    Thanks imdragonit :)

If you altered the flowers on one side of the build it would break up the symmetry a bit. I do realise me commenting on symmetry is like the pot calling the kettle black!! :D
  • Options
    I'll take a look now!
  • Options
    XLexisimsX wrote: »
    Hello! I really like your idea for the service, @Swiftlover13 , and whenever I get the sims 4 I plan to use it xD

Thank You! It might be hard by myself, I need to be thankful that the requests are slow right now!
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited June 2016
    @Nora_675 - I have been reading some books set in the Baroque period, and you certainly captured the grandiose style. I visited the thread dedicated to the build to look at more screen caps. Those by a player using her Sims in your build were helpful for providing scale.

Score from me (using @Swiftlover13 's scale in the first post, above): a high 8.

Since that means minor flaws, I'll say what those are for me: mostly a matter of textures and finishes. The CC David statue has an unfortunate waxy, plastic look that is probably endemic to the model, but is jarring. Similarly, the wood texture of the standing bass (which I love to pair with the baby grand, as well) doesn't jibe with what I know of how actual instruments are constructed (joints in the wood where there should be none). While absolutely appropriate to the architectural style, the large, empty spaces in say the Mural Room make me nervous about how quickly my Sims could actually get around. Finally, I wish I could have seen how you handled your baths, service areas beyond the kitchen, and perhaps more skill objects (telescope, chess table, easel). But all in all a breathtakingly lovely and thoughtful piece of work!

@imdragonit Totally different sort of build! Nice open plan, clean modern lines, workable space - certainly not a 1! I get the shape. It's fun.

My score, 5.5 - good, usable house, but I'd fuss with it.

Things I like: how your angural garden window alcoves tie in with the exterior landscaping, your delicate sense of color to soften what would otherwise feel cold or industrial. Things that trouble me - the lot is too big for the house, leaving a lot of space. That is room to build into, but I'd have landscaped it or put in some sort of outdoor feature. Also, I can't tell what you have going on in the octagonal second story, but that roof deck, if you are going to have one, ought to be something. I do not own ITF so I am having to guess, but is that an all-in-one bathroom next to the bed? Convenient in the morning, but not what I'd want to sleep next to! :) Final note, just being fussy, the roof ornament is weirdly Gothic Revival, compared to everything else, and I'd have made a different choice of door from the very subtly fancy art deco ones, but that is nit-picking.
  • Options
    6020906060209060 Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yay I'm back!

Hi everyone!

I love the idea of this thread! I wouldn't do it myself because I am such a perfectionist and could just give very low grades lol

You'll get what you deserve. I was thinking to spam all my houses here but here's only the best 3 of them:

1. Biltmore Estate

1.jpg

2. Blenheim Palace

Screenshot-4.jpg

3. Somerleyton Hall

Screenshot-34.jpg

:mrgreen:

Have a good day @Swiftlover13
    Post edited by 60209060 on
  • Options
    EchoTSimmerEchoTSimmer Posts: 20 New Member
    Reviewing Biltmore Estate by @60209060 Looks great! I'm loving the fancy fountain and how it's very symmetrical with the two entrances. However, I would like to suggest that the exterior is a little simpler. The pole thingies on the window makes it seem just a little hectic to look at, maybe try to put that gorgeous detail inside. :) love it!
  • Options
    Thank you so much @EchoTSimmer!! It's a building I created years ago and it's in my studio so I can't really change it lol. Anyways I really appreciate your words!!
  • Options
    stefanisticstefanistic Posts: 46 Member
    @60209060 As always, your palaces/mansions are astonishing! I love building/seeing historical palaces from the game. It's so fun and inspiring.
  • Options
    @60209060 As always, your palaces/mansions are astonishing! I love building/seeing historical palaces from the game. It's so fun and inspiring.

Thank you!! I hope you're doing well. Happy New Year!