Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ugh what IS it with these graphics???

CarryOnMyWaywardSonsCarryOnMyWaywardSons Posts: 393 Member
I just made a Rowena sim a few minutes ago and I love how she looks!
Screenshot-284_zpsahv1a5q4.jpg

Then when I went into Live Mode and zoomed in on her face, I just thought "omg she looks terrible."
Screenshot-277_zpsnrszpqed.jpg

The avatar and the floating head in the interaction menu looks better than the actual sim lol. Her skin is a bad texture, her eyes are so...off, and her lips are thicker among other issues. My sim detail, texture detail, and shadows/lighting are on high though. I just find it frustrating that I spent over three hours making Rowena perfect imo only for her to look like 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in game.

EDIT: She's inside, and now her textures look a little better???
Screenshot-289_zpsbvq3ecri.jpg
mj4do4.gif

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    How does she look inside the house? Outdoors lighting often doesn't become the sims in 3 unfortunately.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I just added an edit to the post thinking no one had replied yet lol. But she looks a little better now.
    mj4do4.gif
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
  • Options
    Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    Awesome job on Rowena! She is my favourite baddie next to Crowley! :smiley:
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Good job on Rowena! My daugher stepped up beside me while I was reading and she instantly said, "Is that Rowena?" LOL So you did a good job! :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I knew who the sim looked like before looking at the name so you did good. :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I don't know that show but after googling I can say I agree with the others. And yeah, she definitely looks better inside. Outside lighting can be fine as well by the way, but it seems to depend on the world you're playing in and the time of the day.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AellaniiAellanii Posts: 88 Member
    Don't forget the angle in CAS is usually different than in-game. There's a mod floating around combining a closer zoom with a higher angle in CAS. By Buhudain, I think. It might help you get a better consistency between the two.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    to get a closer zoom in cas you only need to switch to accessories for the face or adjust nose, eyes etc, and in game you can adjust the angle of the camera to any position you like with tilting etc, without any mod. If however @Aellanii is talking about LIGHTING, then that is something.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    R3B3CKVHR3B3CKVH Posts: 473 Member
    edited May 2016
    @CarryOnMyWaywardSons

I feel the same way about my sim, When I click on her in game and her head pops up, with the options, I think she is 10x prettier than she looks in the game mode. I went in and changed the depth of her eyes and her mouth, and it seemed like it helped a little, without changing her appearance much, but she still looks like she has a white mustache or goatee sometimes.
    screenshot_original.jpg

Is your Rowena an adult or YA? I think the Adult females have horrible skin texture, while the guys hardly change. I noticed one of my sims was looking horrid close up, and used Edit Sim to change her to YA. Made a world of difference.

Split Reflections: A Sim Story by R3B3CKVH
    www.splitreflections.wordpress.com
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
    tumblr_lz7l7oGCyn1qevqqyo1_500.gif

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I have no idea who Rowena is (just looked it up) but daayum that sim is fiiiine! Can I claim her before Craven does? :p
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    I have no idea who Rowena is (just looked it up) but daayum that sim is fiiiine! Can I claim her before Craven does? :p

She is a feisty one! Celtic witch from the ancient times that has survived the Winchesters and the King of Hell. Just don't get her angry hehe
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    Its mostly the nature of the lighting outdoors. I liken it to IRL photography in that you aren't generally going to get great images in certain kinds of lighting. Overhead lighting, full sun, deep shadow... all are going to give you kinda crappy visuals.

Even in my regular gameplay games I stock the indoors FULL of invisible wall lights (not ceiling lights).

(LOL Ignore his ridiculous expression) but see, the outdoor lighting just isn't great. Even with CC skins, and makeup.
    26840856442_e97caab89f_c.jpg

I'll make a spinoff thread in a minute here..

Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    R3B3CKVH wrote: »
    @CarryOnMyWaywardSons

I feel the same way about my sim, When I click on her in game and her head pops up, with the options, I think she is 10x prettier than she looks in the game mode. I went in and changed the depth of her eyes and her mouth, and it seemed like it helped a little, without changing her appearance much, but she still looks like she has a white mustache or goatee sometimes.
    screenshot_original.jpg

Is your Rowena an adult or YA? I think the Adult females have horrible skin texture, while the guys hardly change. I noticed one of my sims was looking horrid close up, and used Edit Sim to change her to YA. Made a world of difference.

I was actually thinking about making her lips a little thinner and wider in CAS to make her lips look better in game. Do you think it'll help? And she's a YA. I originally set her to Adult before I noticed how ugly the aging looked on her face. I'm tempted to find a way to shut off aging for her and keep her at YA so she doesn't ever look like that, which makes sense to do anyway since Rowena's over 300 and hasn't aged a day since the 1600s or 1700s. I wonder if Nraas MC can do that.
    mj4do4.gif
  • Options
    More screenshots. This time there's still no direct sunlight but she's standing somewhere else and it's from a different angle. Somehow she looks better.

Screenshot-294_zpsigufduav.jpg

Screenshot-341_zpslcwuha39.jpg

Maybe it's like @JoAnne65 said. It just depends.
    mj4do4.gif
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I was actually thinking about making her lips a little thinner and wider in CAS to make her lips look better in game. Do you think it'll help? And she's a YA. I originally set her to Adult before I noticed how ugly the aging looked on her face. I'm tempted to find a way to shut off aging for her and keep her at YA so she doesn't ever look like that, which makes sense to do anyway since Rowena's over 300 and hasn't aged a day since the 1600s or 1700s. I wonder if Nraas MC can do that.

NRaas Story Progression will allow you to turn aging off for her, while still allowing everyone else to age normally. You could click on her, then choose NRaas > Story Progression > Sim Options > Death: Allow Aging, and set it to false.

• Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »

NRaas Story Progression will allow you to turn aging off for her, while still allowing everyone else to age normally. You could click on her, then choose NRaas > Story Progression > Sim Options > Death: Allow Aging, and set it to false.

Thank you! :)
    mj4do4.gif
  • Options
    Dylan.WalshDylan.Walsh Posts: 115 Member
    There are a few mods, that can help you to increase the good looking of sims around the world. You can find those mods on google. Just search for mod lighting for the Sims 3.
  • Options
    R3B3CKVHR3B3CKVH Posts: 473 Member
    @CarryOnMyWaywardSons

I used the LHR "Age Freeze Potion" for my sim, it's 65,000 LHP. That was before I had mods though. Glad to know how to do that on SP, because I just got it today.
    Split Reflections: A Sim Story by R3B3CKVH
    www.splitreflections.wordpress.com
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
    tumblr_lz7l7oGCyn1qevqqyo1_500.gif