Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So frustrating

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I have three desktops and the oldest one is from 2003. It runs TS1/TS2 with all packs including the sims 2 complete store.

It can't handle the TS3 with even half the packs but runs TS4! With all current packs :o until it dies of course ;)

I am not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't see this as a positive for a game released in 2014.
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    KevWalker wrote: »
    Another problem with "closed" neighbourhoods is that they're lifeless. Nobody ever comes or goes from the other houses, you never see your neighbours in their gardens or outside at all, just an irregular trickle of passers-by - usually the same ones. In TS3 it was much easier to stay in touch with the people next door.

Great point, I loved watching other sims come home from work, out in their yard or leaving their homes in TS3. They took away that aspect of the game that made it seem full of life.
  • Options
    SimulanceSimulance Posts: 313 Member
    I agree, I wish each of the little 'hoods' within the worlds were open so that we only needed a loading screen for travelling to a different hood.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Another problem with "closed" neighbourhoods is that they're lifeless. Nobody ever comes or goes from the other houses, you never see your neighbours in their gardens or outside at all, just an irregular trickle of passers-by - usually the same ones. In TS3 it was much easier to stay in touch with the people next door.

I never thought about that but now that you mention it......you're right. I see Sims jogging or walking by but sometimes it reminds me of a FX background. It's like they do sometimes in movies or on TV. The character is in a car and they run a background video outside of the car to make it look like the car is moving.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    I live right next door to my business bakery and it's a loading screen each time my Sim goes to work-yes it is annoying!
  • Options
    SkosalgSkosalg Posts: 165 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    The loading screens last like ten seconds so I don't find it a big deal at all. I prefer this to open world to be honest.

Before I bought my new laptop, I spent 5-10 minutes waiting for every loading screen to finish. I alwas had an extra computer next to me for surfing while loading screens happened.
  • Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    To those talking about how well (or otherwise) their laptop runs any iteration of The Sims I would remind you that this is a PC game designed to run on just that - a PC, not a laptop, no matter that it's been fudged with "laptop mode" to get it to run with a belated 64-bit option for those with a decent PC. I owned TS3 with every stuff pack and EP plus a 21 page download dashboard and never had a problem running it, it all loaded in about 3 minutes. A laptop is not designed to run games, it's going to run into memory problems and most of the shortcomings of this game are down to the fudging hat has to be done to get TS4 to work on laptops and out-of-date PCs. Brutal truth I'm afraid, and probably the reason so many people report so many bugs I never see.

Just so you know I am on invalidity benefit and don't have a huge amount of cash to play with, but gaming is important to me for that reason so I save for a PC that can do the job, I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited May 2016
    To those talking about how well (or otherwise) their laptop runs any iteration of The Sims I would remind you that this is a PC game designed to run on just that - a PC, not a laptop, no matter that it's been fudged with "laptop mode" to get it to run with a belated 64-bit option for those with a decent PC. I owned TS3 with every stuff pack and EP plus a 21 page download dashboard and never had a problem running it, it all loaded in about 3 minutes. A laptop is not designed to run games, it's going to run into memory problems and most of the shortcomings of this game are down to the fudging hat has to be done to get TS4 to work on laptops and out-of-date PCs. Brutal truth I'm afraid, and probably the reason so many people report so many bugs I never see.

Just so you know I am on invalidity benefit and don't have a huge amount of cash to play with, but gaming is important to me for that reason so I save for a PC that can do the job, I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here.

While I agree, there are laptops that are in fact designed for gaming and even if they're more expensive than a regular laptop they can run TS4 with no issues. I play on a new gaming laptop (no laptop mode), with all settings on ultra and my loading screens are like 20 seconds.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Gruffman Fair reply :smile:

Yes all of these areas should be editable at the very least and an option to add more lots
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member

Just throwing this out there for info that might help. It's like anything. You get what you pay for. (Except for Sims 4 that is). I'm running a laptop. It's not what you would call a "gaming" laptop but it's top of the line. 2.4Ghz core i7, 16GB ram, GTX950M with 4GB of DDR3, 250 GB SSD, 1TB Hybrid HD and it runs Sims 4 on the highest settings no problem. That said, I'm not playing Sims 4 anymore. Sims 3? I'm running 2.6GB of CC and Burnt Waffles HD Bright and Ultra Sharp SweetFX. Game loads in 3 minutes. No lag. ZERO. However, I don't load all my packs at once. That will slow things down. Right now I'm running Island Paradise and Ambitions. Now I know that Sims 3 is 32 bit but I run Windows 10 and I'm wondering if that 64 bit pipeline isn't providing some sort of benefit(?) Simmers that are having troubles might consider going to 64 bit if they haven't already.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I kind of wish that it would be partial open world like in the parts of the neighborhoods you are in if they were minus the loading screens it would be nice.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    I have a laptop from 2002. It runs Sims 3 fine with all the EPs, but Sims 4 constantly lags and crashes even without any packs. Doesn't that completely disprove the excuse of "it was for performance". We all know it was just laziness. We Know.
  • Options
    More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    The loading screens last like ten seconds so I don't find it a big deal at all. I prefer this to open world to be honest.

I prefer it this way as well, especially if "open neighborhood" would cause the terrible performance issues it caused on TS3. (I wouldn't be against open neighborhood if they could make it stable, though) This game is demi-open, and that's fine by me.
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I have three desktops and the oldest one is from 2003. It runs TS1/TS2 with all packs including the sims 2 complete store.

It can't handle the TS3 with even half the packs but runs TS4! With all current packs :o until it dies of course ;)

I am not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't see this as a positive for a game released in 2014.

I don't think you are being rude.
    You have lost me lol!

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    GentleSimmer1990GentleSimmer1990 Posts: 125 Member
    Hello everybody!

It's a shame that Sims 3 becomes unplayable for me when I install 2+ dlc packs or a particular one like Island Paradise or Pets because I think it's still a good game. However, Sims 2 and Sims 4, both run very good, though, with everything installed.

I don't mind the waiting screens since I am used to them as a Sims 2 player anyway ^^ .
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I hate how 80% of the houses around are just decoration and you cant go there. Its such a small world and im getting excited over nothing when I see noce builds in the back and want to click: go there.. Oh 🐸🐸🐸🐸 I cant.

The backdrops bother me too but for a different reason. If I want to bulldoze a town and start from scratch it just doesn't feel right to me if the back drop houses are really different from what I build. An example would be building more run down looking houses with nice housing all around.

Oh i feel you too on that one! Create whatever we want right? Well.. another thing that ruins that for us.
  • Options
    thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member

I never thought about that but now that you mention it......you're right. I see Sims jogging or walking by but sometimes it reminds me of a FX background. It's like they do sometimes in movies or on TV. The character is in a car and they run a background video outside of the car to make it look like the car is moving.

And that seems to be the intention of the series this time around, A reality tv set were the actors are the active household and the player is the director who manipulates what happens, the active lot is the set, and everyone and everything else are extras and backdrops.

Just watch the first gamescom reveal where Rachel Franklin introduces the game features just like that.

I have a feeling even open neighborhoods will not happen in TS4 not because the game can't handle it (I call plum), but because that is too distracting from THEIR vision.

The Sims has gone from playing God to playing Director, and guess Who Rules more.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Let's say hypothetically that they could create Sims 5 open world with new technology with no lag and minimal problems. Would you want it then? I find it hard to understand that if there were no problems why you would want a closed world.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    landverhuizerlandverhuizer Posts: 310 Member
    Lot of people are happy about the loading screens because of their computer systems and lag, me... I want a nice immersive environment like in other games I play. I have a computer for games like that because that is the type of game I enjoy playing.
    It's bloody 2016, surely we have people out there that can build a sims game like that which will not cause decent computers to lag and freeze though I still seriously feel they long gave up on computer gamers who just happen to enjoy really big, great functioning, sandboxes.
    Hardly touch this game any more mostly because the gameplay has been cruddy since a version over ago and now the creative part is lacking on top of the gameplay not really getting any better.