The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To all Windows XP Users: can you still play TS3?

When I try and start TS3 this morning the launcher keeps crashing. I have no idea why this is happening, I mean it worked fine yesterday. The only thing that changed between today and yesterday was a Windows auto update. So, people with xp, who installed a windows update last night, can you still play ts3?

PS. I have windows xp professional 64 bit
in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400

Comments

• Options
    exoromeoexoromeo Posts: 109 New Member
    edited June 2009
    canitbeman wrote:
    When I try and start TS3 this morning the launcher keeps crashing. I have no idea why this is happening, I mean it worked fine yesterday. The only thing that changed between today and yesterday was a Windows auto update. So, people with xp, who installed a windows update last night, can you still play ts3?

PS. I have windows xp professional 64 bit

Works fine for me. (I'm running XP 32-bit however)
  • Options
    simbiant4simbiant4 Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2009
    that update last night killed my system so I have no idea if it affected gameplay, I tried everything, including system restore, to get it working again but ultimatly had to reinstall, luckly I was able to get into safemode and backup the save. once I had xp reinstalled and sims3 its working fine. changed autoupdate though to only download and let me install it when I want to..
  • Options
    canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    edited June 2009
    simbiant4 wrote:
    that update last night killed my system so I have no idea if it affected gameplay, I tried everything, including system restore, to get it working again but ultimatly had to reinstall, luckly I was able to get into safemode and backup the save. once I had xp reinstalled and sims3 its working fine. changed autoupdate though to only download and let me install it when I want to..

do you have xp 32 bit or 64? :?:
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    sorry, didn't read that part. I have 32bit.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Then its not just a XP 64 bit issue.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yea, but you just can't play the game, my problem was the whole computer. also if you do want to play just run ts3.exe and not the launcher, should work. (logging off now to go play)
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Okay, so I tried to run the ts3.exe, instead of the launcher, and now it crashes at the first loading screen. :cry:
  • Options
    Erin_YoonErin_Yoon Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Try checking the under Applications in the "Event Viewer" in Administrative Tools to see if the launcher's crashes are being logged and if so, what kind of error message is coming up in those logs.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Here you go Erin_Yoon:
    Error 6/10/2009 1:40:37 PM .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting

EventType clr20r3, P1 sims3launcher.exe, P2 0.0.0.11195, P3 49f9057e, P4 sims3launcher, P5 0.0.0.11195, P6 49f9057e, P7 5c1, P8 467, P9 1750002B1705, P10 NIL.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Can you also post the full text of any logged event in the "System" section if it pops up there?

I'm not advanced in programming by any means, so my best educated guess is that the Net 2.0 Framework is your problem and that is what's causing the launcher to be shut down.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Noting is in the system tab.
  • Options
    melissawarholmelissawarhol Posts: 133 New Member
    edited June 2009
    hahahahaha I saw that update and considered downloading it, but then I decided not to because I had a feeling it would screw with my game.
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm... I don't think rolling back via System Restore will solve the issue, and uninstalling the update is somewhat tricky.

Do you know which updates Windows installed recently?
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited June 2009
    Hi there.

I would agree that you need to update the .NET framework runtime, downloadable from Microsoft. Here's some other things to check:

Check your devices and drivers to make sure everything is working correctly and up to date:
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10711

Troubleshooting tips:
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22231

And the system requirements, for reference:
    https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=21652

Also, check the heat being produced by your system, CPU, and graphics card, along with the output of your power supply.

Regards,

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    topdogtopdog Posts: 164 New Member
    edited June 2009
    search for crash fix 4 and read through the fixes, it will tell you how to start the game without the launcher
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Erin_Yoon wrote:
    Hmm... I don't think rolling back via System Restore will solve the issue, and uninstalling the update is somewhat tricky.

Do you know which updates Windows installed recently?

Link (look under Executive Summaries)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Updating Net Framework might or might not do the trick (unless it already has been via Windows Update), but that still looks to be the most likely culprit. If you haven't done so, try updating Net Framework to 3.5, reboot and see if that solves it.

I also noticed the MS09-020 update that talks about vulnerabilities regarding "specially crafted HTTP request to a Web site that requires authentication". Since the Sims 3 launcher does do something similar (as you can only upload content to the Exchange and your account through the launcher), my educated stab in the dark is probably that this might have somehow borked your launcher's ability to function.
  • Options
    GerzaGerza Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have XP3 and had a update last night. I can still play the game with no problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is there a way to see which version of the .net framework you have?
  • Options
    pekulikepekulike Posts: 171 Member
    edited June 2009
    you can see the versions in add/remove programs.

I would also update to the lastest version. 3.5 .net
  • Options
    jaybeeplayerjaybeeplayer Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    So far I have had no trouble playing TS3 on my XP machine. I dont think my computer is anything special but the game works fine for me. I do have a good graphics card and 1024MB of RAM. Sometimes is is a little slow, but only if I get impatient.
  • Options
    JobeyJobey Posts: 16 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hello, if the launcher does not work, it can be easily bypassed. First off, find the folder in which your sims 3 is kept in, for example c:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3. Next go to a file named game and under that bin. Then upon entering that folder, there is this application called TS3.exe run that and you will enter the game without even going to the launcher.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    DagmarDagmar Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, but there's the small matter of the Launcher being used to manage exported/downloaded content that makes this a serious issue.

I don't know what changed, but something did because yeah, for me the launcher today has just been crashing every time, usually before I do anything with it, sometimes as I do the first thing (like tell it to open the screenshot folder, or install something that was downloaded). There is no third state to that--it's either crashed before I can use it or it will crash when I tell it to do something. It seemed fine the last few days and today... Weirdness.
    Boom box stopped playing music too but that's probably unrelated.
  • Options
    Afr0SimAfr0Sim Posts: 87 New Member
    edited June 2009
    canitbeman wrote:
    Then its not just a XP 64 bit issue.

Don't be so sure. The game wasn't designed to be run on 64-bit operating systems according to the specifications. If I were you I'd install Windows XP 32 bit.
    Or run it through a virtual PC.
  • Options
    Renamed0803091740Renamed0803091740 Posts: 61 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am having a problem with my Launcher as well. It's been working fine, but all day today it works for about 15 to 20 seconds and just freezes. I have to go to Task Manager and shut it down. It makes it hard to download and upload stuff if it's going to do this. I haven't changed anything on the computer unless there was one of those stealth updates from Windows I didn't know about.
    I am using XP 32 bit.
    I am going to update my .Net Framework to 3.5 and see if that helps.

*Edit*
    I updated to .Net Framework 3.5 and it seems to be working now.
    Post edited by Unknown User on