Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Real Issue of The Sims 4 (Lack of Complexity, Depth, Time Management)

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    2. TS3 was meant to have many expansions. But they were difficult to make because EA had felt it necessary to include the open world even though our computers weren't actually really strong enough for such a game yet because otherwise EA had feared that people would have stayed with TS2 instead of buying TS3. After a huge number of expansions and DLCs the game had become bugged and unstable. So a new game was badly needed because otherwise those problems would just have continued and become even bigger.

Your computer being outdated = YOUR problem. Its not EA's fault that they needed Simmers to use much better computers to play a new game years after the last main title. How else can you expect improvement if you're not willing to invest into something? This excuse is tired and lazy. While the game was optimized rather badly, PC requirements increasing for newer games is the norm and not the exception.
    My computer wasn't outdated at all! It was a new computer bought about the same time where I bought the Sims 3 and it was a very expensive and strong 64 bit gaming computer which had 16 GB ram and a very strong video card for gaming!

Nevertheless TS3 got problems already from the beginning even though the developers had cheated in as many ways as they could to keep the minimum requirements low. Only the sims in your house could have a real life. The sims in the other houses didn't go to work unless your sim went to work in the same career. So their homes got fired all the time. Their kids didn't go to school either. So they always had awful grades if you switched to their house. They didn't sleep in their beds either but just kept standing still in the same place in their house all the time which you could see in you looked inside their house. So all the other sims were just there to follow your sims at work, to the park, to the beach and other places. They never were there when your sim arrived. But they always arrived shortly after. All this cheating destroyed TS3 for me and I only bought a few EPs for it.

Nevertheless people already got problems with World Adventures where they couldn't get their sim back or whatever. So the developers soon realized that connected worlds like in TS2 weren't possible at all in TS3. Therefore the remaining worlds became disconnected instead. So the price for the open world was extremely high. The story progression which was meant as a mean to keep the neighborhood young worked in a terrible way too and had to be replaced.

So I actually understand very well that EA chose to remove the open world from TS4. The problem just is that the new emotions and the multitasking which were meant to replace it doesn't work very well either. They weren't worth it.

My dream is the open world back when everybody have strong enough computers to make it possible to add the open world without all the cheating from TS3. I hope that TS5 or TS6 will become a game with an open world but with a possibility to control all the sims in each world. I would like to be able to switch between the houses while the game is paused to give as many sims as I want a list of tasks to do. Then I want to be able to unpause the game so they can do the tasks (while sims with no orders just do random tasks according to their personalities). This would be a fantastic game. But I don't really believe that a game with EA's preferred low minimum requirements will be able to handle it within the next 10 yrs. So it is probably too early to hope for it in TS5.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Sorry, but the whole 'our computers can't handle open world' goes completely over my head, simply because mine always could. And I'm hardly computer savvy. I just went to the store, put on my silliest, help seeking face and said: "It has to be able to run Sims 3 properly, here's my money". And it always did.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sorry, but the whole 'our computers can't handle open world' goes completely over my head, simply because mine always could. And I'm hardly computer savvy. I just went to the store, put on my silliest, help seeking face and said: "It has to be able to run Sims 3 properly, here's my money". And it always did.
    Probably only because you don't play it on the highest settings?

Anyway it isn't the main issue for me because I have a strong computer and wouldn't hesitate to buy a newer and now even stronger one anyway if it was necessary for a game that I would like to play. But the problem with the Sims 3 was that the developers put all that unrealistic cheating into the game to keep the minimum requirements low. But I don't want to only play one family in one house and to have all the sims in the other houses just as stalkers who attempt to follow my sim everywhere to give me a false impression of life in the city. I want them to be able to live their own lives and also to control them like I did in TS2. A stronger computer can't solve that for me because EA didn't make the game that way simply because low minimum requirements for an open world Sims game didn't allow the developers to do it at all.
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member

Anyway it isn't the main issue for me because I have a strong computer and wouldn't hesitate to buy a newer and now even stronger one anyway if it was necessary for a game that I would like to play. But the problem with the Sims 3 was that the developers put all that unrealistic cheating into the game to keep the minimum requirements low. But I don't want to only play one family in one house and to have all the sims in the other houses just as stalkers who attempt to follow my sim everywhere to give me a false impression of life in the city. I want them to be able to live their own lives and also to control them like I did in TS2. A stronger computer can't solve that for me because EA didn't make the game that way simply because low minimum requirements for an open world Sims game didn't allow the developers to do it at all.

Did you see her ava? If that isn't high quality - so on high settings - I'm the next president of the US. And I'm a teenager who doesn't even live in the US. And I know that on her previous pc she could also play it properly on high settings.

• Options
    GITTE2001 wrote: »

Did you see her ava? If that isn't high quality - so on high settings - I'm the next president of the US. And I'm a teenager who doesn't even live in the US. And I know that on her previous pc she could also play it properly on high settings.
    Screenshots don't prove anything (not that I need any proof anyway). Anybody could make a few sims, make a house for them, move them into a house and take a screenshot. Then they could start a new game and do the same in a new world. That way they won't ever experience any of the problems which a lot of people have described - but which only arise after some time and with much higher risk if you also play a lot in the 3 destination worlds from World Adventures or something similar.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited April 2016
    @JoAnne65 said:
    "Sorry, but the whole 'our computers can't handle open world' goes completely over my head, simply because mine always could. And I'm hardly computer savvy. I just went to the store, put on my silliest, help seeking face and said: "It has to be able to run Sims 3 properly, here's my money". And it always did."

(I´m not able to quote IDK why...)

This and so much this, I have played TS3 with all the EPs but two, half (or more) the store, tons of CC, in highest settings for years in two different PCs I bought with TS3 in mind with the same requirements, I mean "it has to be able to run Sims 3 properly", I was told that an i7 processor was a must have, and a good graphic card, I had and have that and TS3 runs like silk for me, it has not get unstable, or laggy or anything of the sort, I did not "need" a new game, I wanted a new game to improve my experience as it had improved when TS3 came to life, though TS2 was and still is a great game and I love it (you can go and see my pics in sparkfairy´s thread). TS4 did nothing in this way, I have not even installed it in my new PC.

That´s IMO the real issue of TS4, it has done nothing to improve the simming experience for long time simmers, it is in the best cases (spa day p.e.) more of the same and always a little bit under par, and for new simmers that have never played sims I highly recommend to give a try to TS2 and TS3 and see what simming is really
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options

Settings_zpsumv10uex.png

(sorry for having a screenshot for everything but this was a subject in the Sims 3 section a while ago, what are your settings :D )
    So yes, highest setting for everything, all EP's, all SP's, a lot of Store content and a couple of mods.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Screenshots don't prove anything (not that I need any proof anyway). Anybody could make a few sims, make a house for them, move them into a house and take a screenshot. Then they could start a new game and do the same in a new world. That way they won't ever experience any of the problems which a lot of people have described - but which only arise after some time and with much higher risk if you also play a lot in the 3 destination worlds from World Adventures or something similar.
    All my screenshots are taken while playing the game. Lance there is bartending in the Aquarius nightclub in Bridgeport, making some money. That game is about 90 simdays old now.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited April 2016

Settings_zpsumv10uex.png

(sorry for having a screenshot for everything but this was a subject in the Sims 3 section a while ago, what are your settings :D )
    So yes, highest setting for everything, all EP's, all SP's, a lot of Store content and a couple of mods.

Mine are the same, and I started my second generation in ISLA PARADISO a while ago and JoAnne is playing in BRIDGEPORT
    Both worlds that are known for lag. It wouldn't surprise you my previous generation often travelled to China.

By the way, JoAnne, sorry that I'm such a meddler at the moment :D
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Settings_zpsumv10uex.png

Mine are the same, and I started my second generation in ISLA PARADISO a while ago and JoAnne is playing in BRIDGEPORT
    Both worlds that are known for lag
    . It wouldn't surprise you my previous generation often travelled to China.

Yeah, well, thanks to NRaas to be honest :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Settings_zpsumv10uex.png

Both worlds that are known for lag. It wouldn't surprise you my previous generation often travelled to China.

What's wrong with China? I was playing in Bridgeport with a sim and I had travelled there about more than 4 times XD I was actually having fun playing WA.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

All my screenshots are taken while playing the game. Lance there is bartending in the Aquarius nightclub in Bridgeport, making some money. That game is about 90 simdays old now.
    Hmm... I stopped playing the Sims 3 after a few EPs. So it could seem like the game has become more stable since then :)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @Erpe said

"Screenshots don't prove anything (not that I need any proof anyway). Anybody could make a few sims, make a house for them, move them into a house and take a screenshot. Then they could start a new game and do the same in a new world. That way they won't ever experience any of the problems which a lot of people have described - but which only arise after some time and with much higher risk if you also play a lot in the 3 destination worlds from World Adventures or something similar. "

Come on!!!!

All my TS3 pics are taken on saves I´ve played for months on end, in worlds full of sims, 300 to 400 playing sims I have even showed all of them in pics

Censo%20Sark_zpsjxlqs8hb.png

Are you trying to call us liers????
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

• Options
    @junceda No. I just know that if I was playing on low settings and wanted to post a picture in the forum then I probably would switch to high settings for a very short time just while I took the picture. Therefore I needed to hear it from the person who posted the picture - and not from somebody else who just had seen the picture without knowing how it was taken ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @junceda No. I just know that if I was playing on low settings and wanted to post a picture in the forum then I probably would switch to high settings for a very short time just while I took the picture. Therefore I needed to hear it from the person who posted the picture - and not from somebody else who just had seen the picture without knowing how it was taken ;)
    I know what you mean, there are simmers who like to just take screenshots of their sims (and I like following them if they're any good). But it's not the way I play myself. And the pictures I place on this forum are never meant to share here, most of them I used in my sims' stories. And I take much more screenshots than I use.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Lutefisk wrote: »
    I'm coming out of lurking to say that even though I really like The Sims 4 I agree with the OP. I think the points about sims' reactions to things and the points made in the thread about traits being the same are my two main issues with the game.

I want to feel like the things that happen to my sims matter and have an effect on their lives. I think the emotions have potential but I want my sims to feel emotions from things that HAPPEN to them, not decor or incense or things like that. I'll give some examples of things that happened in my game that felt unsatisfying:

-I was playing a child sim and her friend suggested they ditch school for the day. The lot the friend took them to was a bar, which I can get behind because it seems like something kids would do to be rebellious. But NO ONE there acted like there was anything unusual about two children being in a bar during school hours. A bunch of adults showed up and started dancing and chatting with them as if nothing was out of the ordinary. I finally felt too weird about the situation so I had them go play at a park instead. By the time they got back it was night time. When I got home I was wondering if the parents would react at all but they acted like they didn't even notice she was gone. In real life if a child doesn't show up for school and goes missing until the sun comes down her parents would be having a heart attack! I made the parents yell at her but it felt kind of empty... I would rather feel like they noticed and cared.

-I had a father take his child-aged daughter to the park and a random townie came up and started doing mean interactions with her. The dad just stared blankly forward and didn't try to defend his daughter at all. I had to "introduce" him to the townie before he could even tell her to buzz off. It felt weird.

-I had a two sims get into a fight with each other by doing mean interactions for a while. After I stopped forcing the interactions they went into the kitchen and started chatting with friendly interactions. Other than their relationship bar taking a hit, it was like nothing had even happened.

I'm not trying to pick on The Sims 4 because I don't know if things would have gone much differently in other versions of the game, but I still wish the sims had more of a sense of what is appropriate for the situation they're in. I just started playing The Sims 2 and I understand why people say the sims are much more complex. I find their reactions to situations much more realistic and satisfying. For example, I was playing the Goths and after Cassandra got left at the altar Alexander started crying. I realized it was the first time in a sims game (I've played 3 and 4) that I've seen a sim upset about something that happened to someone ELSE, someone they cared about. I wish we could have more things like that.

It makes me a bit sad because I feel like no matter how many EPs and things they add to the game this aspect of the sims will never be changed. I do enjoy the game but it is a bit discouraging.

Thank you so much for saying all this, Why? because this is part of what I have been saying all along, that the Sims 4 is half baked, Sure it is not finished and there are still more packs to come out, But My goodness ! , Sims 4 is just not what I expected at all, it is way to Empty and Needs a lot more to it, if it ever wants to be as good as the ones before it.
  • Options
    PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member

Haters, all of you.
    Sims 4 lets YOU rule.
    And you know, I want to have MY "You Rule" moment!
    Let's turn this Feedback Thread into A PARTY!

1DF7J4.gif

I know what you mean, there are simmers who like to just take screenshots of their sims (and I like following them if they're any good). But it's not the way I play myself. And the pictures I place on this forum are never meant to share here, most of them I used in my sims' stories. And I take much more screenshots than I use.
    We all play differently. Personally I never take screenshots in any of my games unless the screenshots have a purpose. That typically would be to post them to a forum with the purpose of illustrating something which would be harder to explain without screenshots.
  • Options
    We all play differently. Personally I never take screenshots in any of my games unless the screenshots have a purpose. That typically would be to post them to a forum with the purpose of illustrating something which would be harder to explain without screenshots.
    Someone once said to me, when I announced I would start focusing a bit less on storytelling and more on the game again, that one of the great things about that would be I wouldn't feel forced to take so many pictures anymore. Turns out I take just as much if not more and the storytelling somehow won't go away either, it just happens ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Looks like 2013 was a bad year for games and that includes the sims 4 being developed
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2016
    Haters, all of you.
    Sims 4 lets YOU rule.
    And you know, I want to have MY "You Rule" moment!
    Let's turn this Feedback Thread into A PARTY!

1DF7J4.gif

lol Anytime a thread like this gets closed this is the only explantation I can see them using :lol:

I'd also like to add that the time managment aspect of the first two games added some more complex and dynamic gameplay. The sims in 3 and 4 have way too much time on their hands. I never end up watching tv for 5 HOURS Straight while I wait for work. Time managment of needs and aspiration may seem like a major pain, but it is what made the game fun and interesting for me, and I'm sure many others as well.
  • Options
    Someone once said to me, when I announced I would start focusing a bit less on storytelling and more on the game again, that one of the great things about that would be I wouldn't feel forced to take so many pictures anymore. Turns out I take just as much if not more and the storytelling somehow won't go away either, it just happens ;)
    I don't take the pictures because I know that I would never look at them again later anyway ;)
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I don't take the pictures because I know that I would never look at them again later anyway ;)

lol. I have more sims pictures than is healthy for a person. They span back years, from when I was blogging my own sims stories, some actual stories, some more diaries of their lives. I end up sharing my sims lives somewhere, with anybody and nobody.

• Options
    I love to see my sims pictures as slide show and rebuild the story in my mind meanwhile, I take pictures for my own amusement but I love to share them also!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

• Options
    junceda wrote: »
    I love to see my sims pictures as slide show and rebuild the story in my mind meanwhile, I take pictures for my own amusement but I love to share them also!
    If I wanted to see pictures from my old games (like TS2, Starcraft, Total Annihilation, Civilization or XCOM 2) then I would just search for such pictures on the Internet. Otherwise I would prefer to play the old game again instead of just watching pictures from it ;)

I mainly play games because it is too passive for me just to watch TV, videos or movies. But I would actually prefer that anyway instead of just watching pictures or videos from my own gameplay.