Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stardew valley, Animal Crossing etc

dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
Anyone played these games? How do they compare to the Sims?

I just started playing Stardew valley, too early to tell if I will enjoy it for a long time (so far so good).

Animal crossing looks interesting but it's not available on the PC so I'd have to buy a DS

Comments

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I do play Stardew valley. It farming game. Along with mining, and finding things for community center and restoring it. You cant control the children and they never grow up. I would say they don't really compare. The sims is a life stimulation game and Stardew valley is a farming game. If Harvest moon was released on Pc it might look like Stardew Valley. Harvest moon is very old game.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,905 Member
    edited April 2016
    I play Animal Crossings New Leaf. Besides the fact that they put the animal's houses anywhere, whether or not it messes up the plans you have for your town, that game is pretty fun. The animals are cute too.

Animal Crossings is a town building based game. So I guess that could mean it could be classified. Your character can be customized later in the game. But compared to Sims, I wouldn't say it has much of a similarity.

Also, less crashy. :D

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I played the old Animal Crossing game and I have Stardew Valley. I played it obsessively when I got it but now it's in my grouping of games that I load up when it hits me too. I'm sure I'll especially load it up when there are new updates ect. I like this kind of farming, harvesting, mining, fishing.. fighting.. task oriented game when I want to busy my mind with a game instead of my thoughts if that makes sense. You can play each day in about 20 mins so... that works well so that I can play a day then go do stuff that needs to be done.
    Comparison to the Sims.. I wouldn't say they compare at all. It's not a game you can tell in depth stories with, well I can't. You can only play your character. There are some stories you can find out for many of the villagers and that's kind of fun when you run across it (mostly the marriageable ones). There are rumors the maker is going to put in some sort of update for divorce... and although I haven't played it since the last update supposedly when you are married now the spouse has more of a personality. It sounded like a good update. I deleted the game I got my character married on... it takes awhile to woo a spouse so I haven't gotten there yet on my current save. I didn't try the children part yet..
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Play both Stardew & AC:NL. Both are not really comparable to the sims as they are both respective kinds of games on their own in terms of game-play & mechanics. I love both Stardew & AC more because they're mainly goal oriented & Sims is relatively sandbox with more freedom in choices than Stardew & AC.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Yep, been playing Stardew Valley recently, amazing little indie game... not so little actually. Amazing piece of work for one indie developer.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Stardew Valley is on my wishlist, will probably buy it one day. Although I really shouldn't, I have too many games and not enough time to play them. :blush:
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    SpatzSpatz Posts: 41 Member
    Animal Crossing is a game without end. It can be boring, but I have a lot of fun. I play the game on Wii.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    joleaco wrote: »
    Stardew Valley is on my wishlist, will probably buy it one day. Although I really shouldn't, I have too many games and not enough time to play them. :blush:
    Same here :p I bought Slime Rancher and played it a total of two times. Half the time I can't even remember my Steam log in.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Stardew Valley is simplified Sims 3 (10 level skills, socialization, marriage, kids)+World Adventures (dungeons, containers).
    Any Sims fan will love that game. I've already spent more than 100 hours with it.

Never heard about Animal Crossing. Even if I did, I'd skip it because Sims 3 Pets ruined my game so much I had to remove it so it stops getting stutters and bugs. In other words, any mention of animals means no buy to me.
  • Options
    dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    i decided to buy animal crossing, along with a 2ds. cant wait to play it
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Just started playing Stardew Valley, only four days in game-time, I play about 10 minutes a day, probably will continue to do the same daily. Can't figure out how to plant the seeds I've bought from the store but otherwise enjoying it. The graphics are not easy on my eyes though which is why I play in short amounts.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    @jcp011c2 you have your little character stand over a bit of land that you have used the hoe on and then have the seed chosen (your character will hold it) and click the mouse. You can plant in a one block radius around your character so you need to have your character move around as you plant the seeds onto tilled land.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    nrnfzhhamnrnfzhham Posts: 6 New Member
    I've started playing Stardew Valley last month, but I didn't schedule when should I play it, so far so good! But I'm still in the first year in the game though.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @jcp011c2 you have your little character stand over a bit of land that you have used the hoe on and then have the seed chosen (your character will hold it) and click the mouse. You can plant in a one block radius around your character so you need to have your character move around as you plant the seeds onto tilled land.

Thanks! I figured that out in the last bit i played (I played two 10 minute segments today since it's a weekend.) but I appreciate the advice :) I'm going to be drowning in turnips in a few days. The game does not give you that many of what I would consider basic instruction, like planting seeds I guess I should have realized that I needed to hoe and till the land but I didn't. What's nice about the game though is it's relaxing. I don't feel pressured to go that fast since you don't seem to have to eat if you don't want to, unless you run out of energy in a day. I have a feeling once I figure out more of the basics I'll get even more into it.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2016
    I've been playing Stardew Valley for the past month or so and am absolutely in love with it. I've played about 150 hours so far. While it's different from The Sims (has a lot in common with Harvest Moon or Terraria), I still recommend it to anyone who enjoys The Sims or other simulators. It has a surprising amount of depth and it still blows my mind that it was all made by one person. I like the retro graphics and the music is very soothing. My one qualm with it is that there's little by way of tutorials and some of the controls aren't exactly intuitive. I mean, you figure it out eventually, but it can feel a tad finicky at first.

I also really like Animal Crossing. It's a fun little game to waste a bit of time on.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I will wait until my next sim break before I buy Stardew Valley. Hurray for finally getting around to retrieving my Steam log in for the 100th time... I keep writing it down and it keeps vanishing.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    I just realized with enough hits with an axe I can knock down a tree. Had no idea...took six game days to find that out....figured after after a hit or two when it did nothing it wasn't going to either but for some reason I just decided to keep axing away. You get some great stuff by doing that. This game really needs a tutorial or in-game guide.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2016
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I just realized with enough hits with an axe I can knock down a tree. Had no idea...took six game days to find that out....figured after after a hit or two when it did nothing it wasn't going to either but for some reason I just decided to keep axing away. You get some great stuff by doing that. This game really needs a tutorial or in-game guide.

I agree. I actually watched bits and pieces of some LPs for this game when I was trying to decide whether or not I wanted to play it (Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, and BubblsLP), and that helped a lot when it came to learning things. Also, there are some good tips on Reddit. I did a few really silly things when I started though.

EDIT: Aavak on YouTube has a good ongoing LP of the game too.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    jswizzlejswizzle Posts: 64 Member
    I like Animal Crossing. I've played both New Leaf and Wild World. They don't really compare to the Sims though. Animal Crossing is a very slow game, one that takes about half an hour or so of play every day to really progress. There is more you can do, so you can play for a few hours, but it isn't like the Sims where you can play all day, you will eventually run out of things to do.
  • Options
    JimedJimed Posts: 692 Member
    I used to play Animal Crossing but I haven't for years. I liked it but it was played in real time so I had to wait an actual day or two just for the trees to grow.
  • Options

@jcp011c2 You can upgrade you tools at the blacksmiths and each upgrade will let you cut down trees with less hits.. and water more 'squares' at once and so on. You can also mine... you'll need to eventually to get the metals to upgrade items etc. The mine is at the top of the map. :)

• Options
    I've been busy making wine and brewing. lol I seem to have become a little fixated on this. :s That and taking the bus out into the desert!

• Options

@jcp011c2 You can upgrade you tools at the blacksmiths and each upgrade will let you cut down trees with less hits.. and water more 'squares' at once and so on. You can also mine... you'll need to eventually to get the metals to upgrade items etc. The mine is at the top of the map. :)

Thanks, yes I'm really getting into this game now. I'm actually into fall now, I feel like I'm still not progressing very quickly but I consider this first game a learning the ropes game. I just bought my furnace and will be making my first copper bar soon (one copper ore short, gotta go back to the mine.) Also killed my first monster recently with the rusty sword. And just bought a barn and tried to buy some cows --the ranch was open but Marnie was nowhere to be found, slacker. It always works that way it seems --- let's go to Pierre's, oh wait it's Wednesday. :s One thing I am having major issues with is fishing. it is difficult! I have caught 3 fish and lots of junk.

None theless, this is a first game, gotta learn somehow. I'm sure my next game will go much more smoothly, I'm now finding out what to sell of and what not to in order to complete collections, I wasn't paying attention during Spring or most of summer, so there are areas that are closed off to me that, had I been collecting towards those collections, would be open.
  • Options
    I have completely given up on fishing. I simply can not actually land any fish. That is the only thing about this game that I really dislike. I will probably look for a mod eventually...but right now... I refuse to fish!

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I have completely given up on fishing. I simply can not actually land any fish. That is the only thing about this game that I really dislike. I will probably look for a mod eventually...but right now... I refuse to fish!

Yes, so glad I'm not the only one. I feel so stupid, I can't even figure out what button to press or hold down to make it work. I even tried searching online with not much luck. Everything else I feel I'm learning the error of my ways and will do better next time but I can't even begin to fathom the fishing tactics. From what I read online that's a common complaint.

OMG. I just read you can check people's trash cans for stuff and they may sometimes have fish. Are you kidding me? That's great but who would have thunk it.