Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

After playing S4, I can't go back to S3

Comments

• Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    MiyuEmi wrote: »
    Opposite here. I got really bored, really fast with TS4. I wasn't excited by it in the first place as I'm not a fan of the art style, but I did get it (thought thankfully I used a voucher as this game is soooo expensive for a base game). I just couldn't get into it. The return of the loading screens, the psychotic emotions system, culling of townies, no toddlers. I was just really unhappy with this outing. Glad you're enjoying it though! I personally however enjoy my TS3, never stopped playing it and love it!

I'm right there with you. Bought it at launch because I figured it was possible the art style would grow on me (it didn't) and that possibly the things I had read about it might be palatable if the game play was good (it wasn't). The loading screens are awful (although admittedly short), the gathering of frogs(?!) and those dolls and whatever else was actually annoying for some reason. The leering sims were just creepy and the constant mood changes made for endless sims-on-their-period jokes in my house. I didn't like the gardening... why can't I plant in the ground? I don't use the planters in TS3 much and having to use them annoyed me. The incessant talk, talk, talk and push up push up push up activity of the game was just silly. The obligatory grind, grind, grind - always something you had to do rather than the endless possibility of things you could do... not for me. But no hate for those who like TS4 - if it works for you, I'm glad. It just didn't work for me.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    To be honest the look turned me off the day they announced the new game, that's totally not for me unfortunately. It's not how I want a sims game to look apparently (both sims and art style).

I remember when the first teaser picture came out -- that one that showed just three faces, and people were guessing it was Angela, Daniel, and Cassandra. I thought the art style was absolutely ATROCIOUS for a 21st-century game. Chunky-looking, no eyelashes. People kept saying, "Oh, that's just a render; the art style will look much better when the game actually comes out." It didn't.

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Surreal wrote: »
    Opposite here. I got really bored, really fast with TS4. I wasn't excited by it in the first place as I'm not a fan of the art style, but I did get it (thought thankfully I used a voucher as this game is soooo expensive for a base game). I just couldn't get into it. The return of the loading screens, the psychotic emotions system, culling of townies, no toddlers. I was just really unhappy with this outing. Glad you're enjoying it though! I personally however enjoy my TS3, never stopped playing it and love it!

I'm right there with you. Bought it at launch because I figured it was possible the art style would grow on me (it didn't) and that possibly the things I had read about it might be palatable if the game play was good (it wasn't). The loading screens are awful (although admittedly short), the gathering of frogs(?!) and those dolls and whatever else was actually annoying for some reason. The leering sims were just creepy and the constant mood changes made for endless sims-on-their-period jokes in my house. I didn't like the gardening... why can't I plant in the ground? I don't use the planters in TS3 much and having to use them annoyed me. The incessant talk, talk, talk and push up push up push up activity of the game was just silly. The obligatory grind, grind, grind - always something you had to do rather than the endless possibility of things you could do... not for me. But no hate for those who like TS4 - if it works for you, I'm glad. It just didn't work for me.

The Sims themselves are actually something I don't mind. I do mind the environment. The really bright desert and too many pink trees bother me. The game play itself, and the most important part to me is awful. Sometimes this game borders on acceptable but it's never exceptional.

Pssst*whispers* You can plant in the ground. You buy seeds through the planter or computer but I have in ground gardens all the time.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member

The Sims themselves are actually something I don't mind. I do mind the environment. The really bright desert and too many pink trees bother me. The game play itself, and the most important part to me is awful. Sometimes this game borders on acceptable but it's never exceptional.

Pssst*whispers* You can plant in the ground. You buy seeds through the planter or computer but I have in ground gardens all the time.

Yeah the environment doesn't work for me either - nowhere near as beautiful as TS3. That glowy, slightly hazy Pixar look isn't one I like.

You can plant in ground? Huh. I remember having to use those box things that hold 4 plants but only 1 tree. Oh well. Not enough. lol
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    The look and how smooth it runs doesn't make up for how boring the game is for me so I haven't put sims 3 down over 4
    To be honest the look turned me off the day they announced the new game, that's totally not for me unfortunately. It's not how I want a sims game to look apparently (both sims and art style). And Sims 3 runs perfectly smooth on my computer (good enough for me anyway; the multitasking, loading screens and borked interactions make Sims 4 a less smooth experience for me even). Basically agree with you though: those ingredients aren't what make you start up a game.

The look doesn't exactly amaze me either but cc helps. There are so many bright colors that it reminds me of most stuff targeted toward 12 and under. They focused so much on the emotions and CAS that everything else is left out it seems like. My sims 3 game doesn't run perfectly but it doesn't crash all the time like some people say. I prefer sims 3 because more is out for it and it has good mods. It's too bad nraas won't make sims 4 mods, I think I'd like it more that way.
  • Options

Yeah the environment doesn't work for me either - nowhere near as beautiful as TS3. That glowy, slightly hazy Pixar look isn't one I like.

You can plant in ground? Huh. I remember having to use those box things that hold 4 plants but only 1 tree. Oh well. Not enough. lol

Yeah but no sprinklers and it seems like glossed over animations.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    The look and how smooth it runs doesn't make up for how boring the game is for me so I haven't put sims 3 down over 4
    To be honest the look turned me off the day they announced the new game, that's totally not for me unfortunately. It's not how I want a sims game to look apparently (both sims and art style). And Sims 3 runs perfectly smooth on my computer (good enough for me anyway; the multitasking, loading screens and borked interactions make Sims 4 a less smooth experience for me even). Basically agree with you though: those ingredients aren't what make you start up a game.

The look doesn't exactly amaze me either but cc helps. There are so many bright colors that it reminds me of most stuff targeted toward 12 and under. They focused so much on the emotions and CAS that everything else is left out it seems like. My sims 3 game doesn't run perfectly but it doesn't crash all the time like some people say. I prefer sims 3 because more is out for it and it has good mods. It's too bad nraas won't make sims 4 mods, I think I'd like it more that way.

It's not just Nraas. Some of my favorite CC creators walked away after 3.
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member

It's not just Nraas. Some of my favorite CC creators walked away after 3.

Yeah I should've said many cc and mod creators that helped improve the games left and I wish I knew how to do it. I'd have all kinds of stuff the creators would never consider and sims 4 would feel like a different game than what they imagined. >:)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been playing both TS2 and TS3 though I've started using Mods for TS2 to fix a few issues in that game.I play that if I want loading screens to go out and I can still enjoy family play like in TS3 and both have similar types of story progression though time passes in inactive families in Sims 3 and they still advance on their jobs.I have to do the rest of the story progression manually like in Sims 2.
    I get empty clubs in my games when I first add the clubs and bars because the town isn't very populated when the first of those is added to the town.They'll start to get more popular and fill up as more sims move into town.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    With regard to venues, I haven't had a problem with this since I began to modify buildings in town. I took a sim to a new pool I created in Riverview and the place was crawling with townies, same with the gym, pub and of course my Art and Science Learning Community Centre. With regard to regular venues, my issue with some TS3 towns is that there are multiple locations for each activity. Like Riverview, there is more than one swimming pool, same for Hidden Springs. If you specify lots with a purpose, they will be better populate, at least this is what I've found. Gym equipment only in the gym and a dedicated pool.

If you have Seasons and pull out the festival lot, other lots will be more populated and if you're playing somewhere other than Bridgeport and have only the venues that you create, you'll never have a population problem as one of your nightspots will almost always be the hotspot. As above though, read the paper each morning if you plan to send your sim out and find out what the hot spot is.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited April 2016

Basically, that is the difference between TS/TS2/TS3 and TS4. It's clear TS4 split off on its own path and left the series to be so far unrelated as possible.

TS/TS2/TS3 are all people/life simulators that players chose what the game is about for them. Those games have something for everyone. All the developers did was provide what was necessary for simulation. And not once told players how they should play or what they should focus on. TS4 is just make-believe and nothing but an illusion. I honestly don't see how it's even labeled as a life simulator because it's not. TS4/Developers chose what the game is to players. They forced their own "vision" on everyone which made the future of TS officially over...GAME OVER. A part of the core foundation of what makes The Sims, The Sims are the players ability to make TS their own gaming experience. But in TS4, game tells you what to do, not you tell game what to do. That's not fun at all to me and it's most definitely not The Sims. Which is an open-ended sandbox where players are in control.

Was TS4 really for the fans or was it for their own personal project? <- Rhetorical
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Was TS4 really for the fans or was it for their own personal project? <- Rhetorical

I do understand "rhetorical question," honest. ;) I think TS4 was a horrible salvage project of Olympus -- everybody knows it but EA won't admit it. I might -- might -- have more respect for them if they did. The last SimCity flopped so badly that I'm sure the suits looked at Olympus, knew it would never fly, and cobbled together what we know as TS4. Please, just stop, admit it was a mistake (IMO, I know some love it), and make the world's best people Sim/sandbox toy ever.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

The problem is (for me of course) that where CC in Sims 3 can save the sims for people who really dislike them, in Sims 4 a lot of it comes down to their behaviour (so my way with them is to go completely cartoony). And I know for instance there's some realistic grass out there for the game, but it doesn't fit in with the trees and the rocks.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited April 2016
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

I do understand "rhetorical question," honest. ;) I think TS4 was a horrible salvage project of Olympus -- everybody knows it but EA won't admit it. I might -- might -- have more respect for them if they did. The last SimCity flopped so badly that I'm sure the suits looked at Olympus, knew it would never fly, and cobbled together what we know as TS4. Please, just stop, admit it was a mistake (IMO, I know some love it), and make the world's best people Sim/sandbox toy ever.

Yes, I've read about Project Olympus before TS4 was released. I've also read EA's future direction of where they want to go, which makes perfect sense as to why SimCity and TS4/Project Olympus turned out the way it did. While I know there are some who enjoy and like TS4, and if Project Olympus were to exist I'm sure some would enjoy and like that too. However, it seems EA is not taking into account the overall fanbase of their most successful one-of-kind game. Intentionally, of course. They seem to be set on their own vision. Yeah, forget, ignore and exclude all those who helped made TS what it is today. Shows how much we are appreciated and respected. Don't like their vision? Well, don't worry they don't care and just kick everyone to curb who disagrees. Although I'm sure they were expecting and now hoping that the popularity of the name The Sims is all it takes to keep everyone or at least the majority following along. Even when the game it no longer TS.

As far as I'm concerned, EA will never own up to their "mistake" because they don't view it as a mistake. It's all business, that's all it is. But you know, a lot of game developers get away with so much. There are very few developers that actually care about their fanbase and have integrity. I wonder just how much will consumers allow ill business tactics? The line has been crossed long ago, so just how bad must it get?
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited April 2016
    The last I checked Sims 3 (EP's, SP's and Bundles) were still on the shelves in the stores.
    I know as a fact that the store is still making money selling Sims 3 stuff.

I personally think (no expert) ... The Sims 3 game was getting too big to be managed by the game engine.
    To add more EP's and SP's would make the game files enormous.
    That ... Coupled with advances in tech since Sims 3 was released ... Just opened the door for a move to Sims 4 by EA.

All the hoopla aside though ... It would be funny as heck if Sims 3 was still making more money that Sims 4.
    I know I don't have some EP's (Generations and Showtime) ... And a couple of worlds I will get sooner or later (Sunlit Tides and Lucky Palms).

Those ... And stuff packs or store items here and there ... I am sure EA will be more than happy to sell them to me.
    I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    So, this thread got moved over here (by who, btw?) even through it began in the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 forum. Can the OP move it back to that forum since it obviously belongs there???
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    So, this thread got moved over here (by who, btw?) even through it began in the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 forum. Can the OP move it back to that forum since it obviously belongs there???

It got moved here cause EA doesnt want any trash talk of TS4 in the TS4 forums, kinda like nuclear waste or fracking, no one wants it in their yard.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    edited April 2016
    It got moved within two seconds of me posting it. So I think moving it again, will end up having it move back here. Just ignore the thread. And hopefully it will go away on it's own. Sorry about that.

Happy Simming

ed. Also thank you for the hot spot tip. I'll have to try it out.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

I think this is the problem in a nutshell. Are we allowed to mention names of EA execs here? Well, just in case we're not because I wouldn't want to get in trouble, the one whose initials are F.G. (he was at EA for ages and ages) and who has recently become CEO at a mobile game company that starts with the letter Z that EA previously sued for trying to rip off The Sims was pushing hard for everything he could push to become mobile. I recall a few years ago him saying that mobile is the way of the future and everything had to go in that direction. It's just my own think-so but my feeling is that his push was one of the reasons for online SC and the new Sims game. The only problem is, while multi-player versions of said games weren't necessarily a bad idea I think most of us who play those types of games prefer the individual player experience. Sure, a lot of us love getting together on the internet and discussing, sharing pictures as well as some of our creations but we really prefer not letting the neighbor kids play in our sand boxes.

For people who have problems getting Sims onto community lots there are a couple of mods that can help with this. Values for the number of visitors is set in the programming and much of that depends on the resources the game thinks it has available to use. Shimrod has a couple of mods, one is Service Sims Out on the Town and the other is Townies Out on the Town. The names are fairly self-explanatory as to what they do and they DO work. NRaas SP also pushes Townies to community lots.
    imhappy wrote: »
    It got moved within two seconds of me posting it. So I think moving it again, will end up having it move back here. Just ignore the thread. And hopefully it will go away on it's own. Sorry about that.

Happy Simming

ed. Also thank you for the hot spot tip. I'll have to try it out.

Don't worry, people will post in this thread for a few days then it will be buried, just like all the others that get shuffled here from the TS4 section. The irony is that if it hadn't been moved here and got a bunch of posts by us who hang here in the TS3 section it could have been a very positive thread for the TS4 area. :mrgreen:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    @BSIRegina What I'm going to say is in no way a comment on your post. I just see this phrase so often here......

there are a couple of mods that can help with this. I'm just so tired of seeing this as a solution for various problems. I mean I'm not talking about adding fun things the game doesn't do ....I'm talking about just to get the game to work as intended.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    @BSIRegina What I'm going to say is in no way a comment on your post. I just see this phrase so often here......

there are a couple of mods that can help with this. I'm just so tired of seeing this as a solution for various problems. I mean I'm not talking about adding fun things the game doesn't do ....I'm talking about just to get the game to work as intended.

I feel the same way. What should have been fixed or tweaked often wasn't and that's one of the big reasons I have no intentions of ever supporting another product made by EA or any of its subsidiaries. We have all paid good money for these games and expansions and should have them work and not have to resort to mods to fix them. You know all the "buyer beware" things we see in various places? Well, I live by something along the lines of manufacturer/developer/whatever beware because when you lose my trust by selling me faulty merchandise you have just lost my business. That doesn't mean that I won't give a company another chance if they start making good products but for me this company has had more than enough chances to make things right and failed. I'm going to enjoy as much as I can what I have from them and I even occasionally pick up something for my TS3 game and sometimes that has been a new expansion pack on sale for around $10 but if it's between paying full current price or buying a used copy I'll go for the used one every time, even if the code has already been registered.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have crowded venues without any mods for that though. I think it's mainly processor related. I also quite often see mods immediately presented as a solution for a problem, when I know there are also in game solutions.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I have crowded venues without any mods for that though. I think it's mainly processor related. I also quite often see mods immediately presented as a solution for a problem, when I know there are also in game solutions.

I always cut down the number of venues where Sims could go and I never had a problem with getting them to public places.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

I think it depends on how much ram you have.