Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sim Had A Great Time Staying At A Local Motel in Main Hood in Collinsport, LOL

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited March 2016 in The Sims 2
It has been several months if not a year since I played TS2 Ultimate (couldn't get the darn resolution set in a new machine) Thanks to Rflong's link I was able to fix that with some tool by another lovely Simmer/ modder.

Anyway, I forgot I could build hotels in the main hood. Woot

This was great. I am comparing two games for this story. TS4 and TS2 UC. Yes, I know TS2 is loaded in the ended with all sorts of fun activities etc. and not really fair but it's for my own gaming purposes.

I am working on Two Stories of Dark Shadows in TS4 and in TS2UC. I liked how the shell of my house turned out in TS4 but was so tired by the time I built that thing I put it on the gallery for someone else to finish. LOL It took be about a week (spare time) to get it as close to pictures of Collinwood as possible (but some windows aren't in game etc.) Needless to say I was about a week behind on building the Collins-Stoddard family in TS4, but finally got it done and played them in WB (which I am totally renovating to fit my story) and adding in some townies like Joe Haskell and Burke Devlin. Others will come later in the gameplay.

But back to TS2, I was able to build the Collinwood East wing in about an hour compared to TS4. Wow, that's amazing considering I found myself missing the pull and tug of boxes. lol

So, on to the creating of the Collins family, Elizabeth, Carolyn, Roger and David. Along with Victoria Winters and shortly there after Mrs. Johnson as a built in housekeeper.

Things I missed from TS4. Roger drinks a lot in the old soap opera and I can get him to do that in TS4. But for some reason in TS2 they no longer seem to want to drink as much as in previous games when I played the EPs separately in other stories. Or maybe it's just my Sims this time around. But they pretty much ignore the bar in my game in TS2 now, maybe due to the UC having deluxe packs that seem to hurt TS2 more than help with bugs and or odd behavior like not being attracted to a bar anymore (in home).

I found myself missing Sims out in a near by open public space....but why I don't know since they aren't as fully flushed out anyway.

But for the fun. Mrs. Johnson was bummed out and so I decided on a Friday in her life I would give her a day off. From cleaning up after all those Sims trying to read to David all the time, and or the messes they were leaving in the bathrooms.

I took one of Maxis' house and turned it into a hotel (not in vacation world but main world) added a pool, a restaurant so they could get room service and or eat in the dinning room, and next door I added a shopping center. One of Maxis own the General Store and it was great to shop there, then head back to the hotel. (Let's call it a bed and breakfast, lol, because she only stayed the one night on her 'off' day.

She was able to fill a few of her wants/whims while there and while out shopping for the families' new clothes, groceries, mags to read, some jewelry for herself, go to try some new food at the sit down kiosk, and enjoyed her stay at the make shift hotel next door (loading screen).

It had really slipped my mind that you can throw up a motel/ hotel anywhere (cheats had really went out of my memory to change lot zoning, lol) but all in all I would say I did miss things about TS4 like being able to sit down (at home) while drinking from a home bar....and being able to turn furniture at a 45 degree angle without strange graphical glitches. The games have improved in so many ways over the years from TS2 but TS2 still has the better Sim. But honestly there is so much they can't do they can do in TS3 or TS4.

But you know what, I was thrilled I could set that land line phone on the table in the middle of the foyer (LOL) just like in the old soap opera.

And I really enjoyed David failing because I didn't have to time to make Vickie help him with a week's homework. But did he ever do his work in DS? Rarely, lol.

But I had to use maxmotives when the Thurs evening he brought home a D- and next step would have been Social Worker! That had me on pins and needles because I really was trying to get him and Carolyn caught up (Carolyn started as a teen in my TS2 game) without having to use the desperate maxmotives cheat so they could get all their homework done overnight before Fri. morning.

I missed the open world feel of TS4 and TS3, but I didn't miss the Sims so much as I missed the feel of Sims are out and living their lives.

Now, I have Burke Devlin in game (Arch enemy of the Collins family in old soap opera) and it's great I will be able to build an apartment building where he had his apartment. And it work correctly in TS2. In TS4 I have him in the game and fear if I turn him into a non played townie just so I can see what happens autonomously the game will cull him if I don't marked played. He killed off Roger in TS4 because they got into a fight in a bar and then fought several more times on their own and it killed Roger...which I need to get back somehow...

But in TS2 I can use the cheat to turn him into a townie and never worry he will not be in the game and expect to see him at these hotels, shops and restaurants and bars etc in that game.

That is one thing about TS2 I loved a lot was I could use the townie maker and any Sim I no longer wanted to play could just become part of the fabric and hopefully not get killed and if they did I could always resurrect them (yes with EPs, lol).

TS4 is o.k. and I sure missed a lot of things about it, but TS2 still rocks as far as how they did hotels, apartments, townie system, memories, and Social Workers, and the games kids can play alone or with others.

I think Mrs. Johnson will get a Fri off every week in my TS2 game and see if she eventually meets Burke and starts to spy on Collinwood like in the old soap. It was fun to get her out of the house so she could fill a few of her on wants and stay at a place where she could get some well deserved rest without having to go on a full fledged vacation.

ETA: One thing I really missed in TS2UC was the clothes in TS4. There are so many jackets and skirts for females that would have been exactly what Elizabeth and V. Winters would have worn. I had a hard time finding the right clothes for my TS2 story. But they would have worn those jackets (and did) with those scarves etc. I really do like the clothes in TS4 though somehow they seem a lot like a 1960's soap opera attire. lol
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
Post edited by Cinebar on

Comments

• Options
    Ooh, and the next best thing about TS2UC, I will be able to create a real Barnabas, complete with coffin. And Willy will be his slave to protect him during the day. I can't do that in TS4. Or even TS3, because in my games vamps have to be afraid of the sunlight..because they burn. >:)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Cinebar

I loved reading this story but as a newbie to sims 2 I am only just getting used to what can be done and having fun with the sims themselves.

I had no idea I could place a hotel in my home neighborhood so I will have to find out how to do that next..

I have not played vampires yet as I read they can be real troublesome in 2 but a slave to a vamps coffin sounds awesome lol

In 3 my vamps get the lifetime reward that allows them to go out in the sun and I add mods that allow them to control other sims, drink from whoever they want and kill if necessary so finally they became quite decent to play :)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Cinebar

I loved reading this story but as a newbie to sims 2 I am only just getting used to what can be done and having fun with the sims themselves.

I had no idea I could place a hotel in my home neighborhood so I will have to find out how to do that next..

I have not played vampires yet as I read they can be real troublesome in 2 but a slave to a vamps coffin sounds awesome lol

In 3 my vamps get the lifetime reward that allows them to go out in the sun and I add mods that allow them to control other sims, drink from whoever they want and kill if necessary so finally they became quite decent to play :)

Yeah, and you won't even have to book a vacation. Just go to a community lot and viola pick a room and stay as long as you like. And the best thing about TS2 (one of many) is you can add anything to a hotel lot (make sure you add it first since build mode is grayed out when you change the lot zone) and still have Sims use all those other things like shopping etc. It's still a very great game after all these years with the freedom we have to build anything we want.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Cinebar

I have just spent the last few hours playing, I love it and over time will get to know all the things I can do :)