Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Name your play style

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    supernatural "storyteller", character driven gameplay, i guess? i create characters in my mind before i make them in game, or i'll mess around in CAS until something clicks and i'm inspired. then i'll create backstories and other characters that live in their world. i'm just waiting on supernatural lifestates, hopefully we get something (vamps, witches, mermaids) soon so i can enjoy the game!
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    Rotational, family player, generational, somewhat deviant player who likes to build.

Rotational works better for me in TS4 than in TS3 (I've played since TS1). It was a real pain to play rotational in TS3 and it was one of the many reasons it was my least favorite iteration.

Family playing actually works well for me - I never cared for how toddlers were done in previous iterations of the game, and would only play them to skill them up so they wouldn't have bad traits as children. I like TS4 children better than in previous games, and I think that Get Together allows for more dimensions to child gameplay than the base game or previous DLC.

I think generational play is more difficult in TS4, especially if playing vanilla. I'm glad they upped the culling limit, but I still think it should be higher and I use a mod (MC Command Center) in part because of it. It's harder to play several generations due to the concern that there will be holes in the family tree. I wish there were a way to not tie the family tree to the files of dead sims that can no longer be accessed anyway.

Deviant play - on one hand, the game plays nice with most mods and CC - I have a ton of CC and I play with mods that allows gameplay that would never be added to a sims game. I had some trouble with mods in previous sims games and therefore played vanilla a lot of the time (especially TS3), so it's nice to be able to customize the game to how I want it beyond what EA would ever want to do. And that is on top of the customization Get Together allows in terms of less "savory" gameplay (e.g. being able to create gangs, etc.). At the same time, with culling I'm less likely to kill off my sims, etc., like in previous iterations, because that's a waste of a spot out of the 220. With a mod, I remove culling, but with patches every month, the mod also has to be updated, and if the creator doesn't update it, then I still want to be able to play my game without half of my sims wiped out.

Building - I miss CAW and the ability to set lots wherever I wanted them. I also miss terrain tools. At the same time, lot building and using build/buy is a lot easier. I can adjust walls and fences without having to knock down and redo huge parts of my build. Also, with routing in TS4, less space is needed between objects and I don't have to worry as much about a room or a building not being usable for my sims because I screwed up spacing. I thought I would miss CASt more than I actually do - TS4 reminds me more of real life, where you go into a store and they have only so many colors and styles, and you are challenged to be creative with fewer choices. I enjoy that challenge.

Overall, TS4 does cater to my gameplay. Not perfectly - there should be improvements IMO, but on the whole it works for the way I play.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I play single family generational style. TS4 supports that that just fine for me. I don't need toddlers and I don't miss them to be honest, however I do hope that they are added for those who do want them. There are other things that I wish to be added like kids being able to play tag, swing sets and other playground equipment, etc. I'm hopeful that will all be added in time, along with toddlers.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    Realistic as possible and generational. I love realistic play.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Generational completionist. I play one household with several generations and focus on completing all careers, aspirations, collections, etc. TS4 suits my play style perfectly.
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2016
    I guess its Generational for me too.
    However for me I I like to see big family trees, but tend to bounce around households so I guess in a way I want every family to have a story behind them with an actual family tree. I dont care for toddlers so that doesnt affect me.

It depends how I feel.. soemtimes I'll just skip and cheat and put families where I want them.. It just all depends on how I feel.

I wish I could post a photo
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    yapplesyapples Posts: 3 New Member
    I typically like to play generational and with families. TS4 sort of caters to that? I like how fleshed out children are in this game compared to others and I actually enjoy playing as and controlling the children where in past versions of the game, it was a hassle. However, I do miss toddlers and I enjoyed having my sims feel more involved in raising a child. It hardly feels like my sims are parents without toddlers and the babies are annoying. The teens could use some work as they don't really feel like teens either. Just young adults without as many things to do. It's boring. I usually age out of baby and teen fairly quickly.

I do also make up stories (that don't affect gameplay at all, just what's in my head) and enjoy setting the stage for a story. TS4 is still in its early days so I can't really judge it on that.

Overall, I think I'd like the game far more if a family oriented expansion (such as Generations from TS3, which ended up being one of my favorite expansions for the game next to Seasons, University, and Late Night) was released. I'm honestly not a huge fan of supernatural things (save for ghosts and aliens) in my game so I like the still realistic aspect of the game that's currently there.
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    As the title suggests, name your play style and yes or no if TS4 caters to it.

My play style is generational.
    No, TS4 doesn't cater to my play style...no toddlers, lack of family play.

I'm also a story teller and the lack of teens looking like teens, no toddlers, bassinet babies and wacky emotions make it hard. Also, culling my characters disappear :(. Lack of everyday jobs too. The possibilities don't seem endless to me.

I'm also a bit of a builder and like to build towns from scratch. That's been taken from me too.

Please share your play styles, I guess let's try not so much comparing the different iterations of what was better or worse as I see this happen in most of the threads here.

Happy simming:)

Colonial style. It's my dream to start out a neighbourhood world I created on my own with absolutely no townies Whatsoever. I want to start out with X number of families and have them reproduce, and I want to watch their children meet up and build the world farther.

It's a combination between building, builder, rotational, and generational play

This!!!

That would be a game for me, since I like doing a little bit of everything. No townies or NPCs invading my world, my own sims occupying all the roles/jobs townies and NPCs have. That is the kind of game where I could feel that "I rule".
  • Options
    MiKeeMiKee Posts: 72 Member
    Builder, family player, rotaional player, look books maker , wat so ever. Ts4 fits to me. There was lots of restriction I couldnt do unless I download loads of mods, but imo I can rule my sims with sims 4. And I can feel immersion unlike older ones.
  • Options
    bethlebellebethlebelle Posts: 139 Member
    I'm a single household, family player. I like to start scratch in a small starter home, extend it as the family grows, earn enough money to move into a nice family home, then a large family home or mansion-style home, then have the family blow/lose their money and have to start all over again. I agree the game does not cater to family players at all.
  • Options
    SimCarlexSimCarlex Posts: 349 Member
    Builder/decorator here. Really put off by the lack of customization options in The Sims 4 :(
    I once started a Sims blog called My Sims Pieces (snapshots and stories from the lives of my Sims) and maybe I'll get back to it one day...
  • Options
    TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member

....As for your suggestions on children, yes! Although I only want babysitters and curfew if they're optional and set the parent (me) sims 3 curfew conflicted with my stories cause I wanted to have my teen vampire go out at night to practice his hunting for adulthood but the game wouldnt let me without his mom attending....

This made me laugh a little harder than it should, :D
  • Options
    MistyLakeMistyLake Posts: 1,700 Member
    My play style?

I create one sim and build her a home and give her a job and then i hit "play" and just sit and watch what she does.
    Usually it is either "play with the phone" or the Simuda Triangle: TV-fridge-toilet.

Then when i get bored i take her to the Rattlesnake Bar.
    Why?
    Because i've noticed sims are hardcore alcoholics. All my sims i've played with have been serious drinkers. They go to the bar and immediately they have their hand up demanding a drink and this goes on until they almost soils themselves ..so they quickly goes to the toilet and then come back to drink.
    Then when they are totally wasted they usually pass out while sitting on a chair/bench. Few hours later they wake up and it's round 2.

Yippee.
    "By Grabthar's Hammer! Let There Be Sims!"
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Generational and storytelling. But I think Sims 4 for me mainly lacks in the 'showing me the way' department. As if the game isn't guiding me and apparently I need that. I often open Sims 3 thinking 'now what shall I start doing next, I have no idea' and three to four hours later I've done all kind of things, kind of automatically. It just happened. Somehow that doesn't happen in 4. I keep thinking 'what shall I do next' while playing and that's why I'm kind of tired after an hour.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Generational and storytelling. But I think Sims 4 for me mainly lacks in the 'showing me the way' department. As if the game isn't guiding me and apparently I need that. I often open Sims 3 thinking 'now what shall I start doing next, I have no idea' and three to four hours later I've done all kind of things, kind of automatically. It just happened. Somehow that doesn't happen in 4. I keep thinking 'what shall I do next' while playing and that's why I'm kind of tired after an hour.

This is my exact problem with the game. It's like having a playmate with dull mind and needing to come up with everything myself. I can do it when I have ideas, but sometimes I just don't. I agree with @Hermai and @StarlingGray that more chaotic/random things are needed to provide twist for the stories. Currently I let my sims die in fires if no one puts them out automatically just to have something happen. There has to be more.

I said I was a rotational generational storyteller (builder), but I'm also semi deviant :smiley:
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm a storyteller and every thing else I do in the game branches out from that.

Whenever I'm starting a new game, I first take a long time thinking of what story I want to tell, the characters I want to use and them give them personalities and backstories. I'm also a family player; all of my active households I are families and I have a blast playing out relationship dynamics between family members. I also do rotational play though I haven't really done much of that in TS4, mostly due to the fact that I'm extremely invested in the 2 families I'm currently playing so I don't feel the need to play a different household within their respective save files.

Storytelling and family play are both catered to in The Sims 4, though I'd like to see a bit more content on the family aspect.
  • Options
    UniSlothUniSloth Posts: 32 Member
    I'm a storyteller. I create a household, take the time to think about their backstories, what they are like, and I try showing their personality through their choice of attire.

I guess I'm also a creator/builder. I find a lot of enjoyment in just creating characters and building/furnishing houses.

Sometimes I like playing with families and seeing how far I can map out a generation... But, sometimes I don't like doing that. I don't like seeing my Sims die, haha.
  • Options
    est1956est1956 Posts: 46 Member
    I'm a storyteller with minimal rotational gameplay. Recently, with GT, once my Sim started a club for mothers, I began setting the other girls up with men, marrying them, and planning out their pregnancies to coincide with others' in the club. It's a lot of work, but it's very rewarding.
    subscribe to my sims youtube pls i'm poor ~ ryan the dreamer