Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Only 6/10 things Devs were excited about made the game.

Comments

• Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    In 2014, The Official Magazine of The Sims 3 Spain listed 10 things Developers were excited about adding to the game, but it seems only 6 of these made the cut, further prompting devs had to cut even little things out of the game to meet EA's deadline.

Made it in;
    1. There will be Right and Left handed Sims.
    2. The Sims 4 will work better on low end PC's (I mean this is true, but the game looks like a Nintendo DS game on Low).
    3. You can adjust the size of the Sims feet.
    4. There will be 3 voice types for Men and Women (Pretty sure the Sims 3 had the same?)
    5. Sims won't die randomly, only by player choice (eg. No meteors, no fatal accidents that cannot be controlled). Fires with low cooking skill, repairing with low Handiness skill etc don't count.
    6. Wishes are replaced with Whims that work towards traits rather than just rewards.

Didn't make it in;
    1. Hair and Beards would grow over time. This would have SUCH a good feature, and I can see it easily working with the Sims 4 hair.
    2. The Wind will make Sims clothes and hair move. They did add Wind into the game, but obviously didn't have time to work on the rest. Really big shame.
    3. Pregnant Sims will have unique emotions. Would have been so good to have mood swings, and the like. Maybe even Cravings via Moodlets that make them Tense would have been awesome.
    4. Each Life Stage would have a unique Emotion. I'm guessing things like Elders could feel Nostalgic, or Teens feel Rebellious etc. Could have been awesome as well.

I wish the Devs were given maybe another 6 months at least. I'm sure the Sims 3 store would have held everyone over with 6 more store sets.

i agree with that. I mean sims 3 into the future was coming and they had a whole new world coming out. We could have waited more time

Tell that to the forum 18 months ago, there was a lynch mob whenever there were pleas for the game to be delayed. And this was after we found out about no pools, no toddlers, etc.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Shortly after this article was posted originally Maxis confirmed that some of the things listed were never planned to be included in the game.

So not everything on this list is a result of cuts, they were miscommunications that were shared from a non-Maxis source

This.. you bet me to it. While those ideas sound fabulous the reality is that some of them were never on the cards anyway and weren't even being included or worked on.

Side issue: one thing I never do is change the size of my sims feet. To me they just look weird if I make them any bigger, in fact I often make over townies just to make their feet smaller! This has always seemed like such a useless feature... I wish they'd made the sims hands bigger as my male sims hands always look too small for their bodies.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    That's pretty good though, I think. :)

If 6 of the 10 things which excite me about the games made it into TS4 I'd be a happy Simmer. Just thinkin'.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    5. Sims won't die randomly, only by player choice (eg. No meteors, no fatal accidents that cannot be controlled). Fires with low cooking skill, repairing with low Handiness skill etc don't count.

This is something they were excited about?! I don't get it. I know there are people who didn't like it but I LOVED the possibility of unexpected, random death in my game. I wish they would bring this back. At the very least, they should give us the OPTION to play this way.
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    In 2014, The Official Magazine of The Sims 3 Spain listed 10 things Developers were excited about adding to the game, but it seems only 6 of these made the cut, further prompting devs had to cut even little things out of the game to meet EA's deadline.

Made it in;
    2. The Sims 4 will work better on low end PC's (I mean this is true, but the game looks like a Nintendo DS game on Low).
    4. There will be 3 voice types for Men and Women (Pretty sure the Sims 3 had the same?)
    6. Wishes are replaced with Whims that work towards traits rather than just rewards.

Didn't make it in;
    1. Hair and Beards would grow over time. This would have SUCH a good feature, and I can see it easily working with the Sims 4 hair.
    2. The Wind will make Sims clothes and hair move. They did add Wind into the game, but obviously didn't have time to work on the rest. Really big shame.
    3. Pregnant Sims will have unique emotions. Would have been so good to have mood swings, and the like. Maybe even Cravings via Moodlets that make them Tense would have been awesome.
    4. Each Life Stage would have a unique Emotion. I'm guessing things like Elders could feel Nostalgic, or Teens feel Rebellious etc. Could have been awesome as well.

I wish the Devs were given maybe another 6 months at least. I'm sure the Sims 3 store would have held everyone over with 6 more store sets.

These features would both work very well in a Generations type expansion.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    VeridioVeridio Posts: 21 New Member
    I would argue #5. I saw my Sim die of embarrassment while doing my experiment (not allowed to interact).
  • Options
    Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    edited February 2016
    WAIT. There are right and left handed sims????
    You know, I'm told in Sims Castaway a Sims' hair would grow. Don't know about a beard, but I think so, too. I was never able to find a PC version of that stand alone, or I would know first hand. My daughter had a console, so she had the game. Seems to me if they can do it in a console and PC games allegedly are superior, why don't we yet have this ability? Please, EA, patch it IN.

I played Castaway in PS2 and that's true; hair and beards did grow up. But I wouldn't call it "gradually", since it was similar to belly growth of a pregnant sim in TS3 or 4 (a very abrupt growth)
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for sharing!

I am confident that these things could make it into TS5 :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    I can understand why some of those things didn't make the cut but I would have loved to see unique Emotions for each life stage - it's a mystery why they haven't added that in. It seems like a pretty easy thing to do.

I know it sounds a bit rude but seeing a thread jackjack_n made that isn't about defending the game and is actually a pretty on-point criticism of it is weird to me.

If I see a Colton thread that is actually about discussing the game properly I might need to lie down.
  • Options
    ctroihd1ctroihd1 Posts: 218 Member
    Veridio wrote: »
    I would argue #5. I saw my Sim die of embarrassment while doing my experiment (not allowed to interact).

Yea, I had a Sim die from laughter! I was so shocked! Thing is, if you don't like them dying randomly like that, back out without saving. I liked some of the uncertainty of what might happen. BTW, I didn't back out after Lacy die from laughter. My household was way too full and I let her go be a ghost! I still see her often and she is very happy with the afterlife.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Made it in;

Didn't make it in;

It's not too late for that though. If they make things like those for a Generations EP it would definitely take it to a higher level.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    The only time I exited without saving after a Sims death in TS3, is when the single Sim I was playing was killed by a meteor. I decided I didn't want to start a new Sim, so I went to main menu without saving.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

Made it in;

Didn't make it in;

I loved that pregnant Sims in TS3 would wish for strange foods. It kept me on my toes cooking everything she wanted. She usually wanted spaghetti and cookies. I wonder why they didn't add that back in TS4?

It does annoy be that on one hand everyone praises that TS4 was made to run on lower and PCs, and on the other hand people insist you NEED a gaming laptop to run it. So, which is it?

Everyone also says they wish they had waited longer before they released TS4, but I had heard they rushed it it out on purpose, so it would not compete with the Dragon Age release.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Made it in;

Didn't make it in;

i agree with that. I mean sims 3 into the future was coming and they had a whole new world coming out. We could have waited more time

Tell that to the forum 18 months ago, there was a lynch mob whenever there were pleas for the game to be delayed. And this was after we found out about no pools, no toddlers, etc.
    So give into the people who will buy it no matter the quality instead of attracting more customers with a better finished product... I was happy when the base game was delayed though clearly not long enough the same with Get Together, why should we receive a horrible unfinished product because of impatient people who just want stuff instead of quality.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Umm... I think you meant 6 out of 13 :unamused:

Didn't make it in:
    - Emotions
    - Smarter Sims
    - Whoohoo Skill

And while they weren't excited about it:
    - All life stages
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member

Didn't make it in:
    - Emotions
    - Smarter Sims
    - Whoohoo Skill

- All life stages

Your game must be bugged. I have smarter sims and emotions ;)
  • Options
    ObscurusObscurus Posts: 626 Member
    The only thing on that list that interests me is the one that I *know* is never going to happen in this iteration is #2.

Also, hair and beard that would grow could be nice and everything, but what about NPC Sims? I wonder how long it would take until the 'hood transformed into a hobo town. :#
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    I didnt realize sims were left or right handed... ?
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Jordojord wrote: »
    I didnt realize sims were left or right handed... ?
    I only found that out with the advanced debug cheats mod, apparently it's a hidden trait.
    Wish we could at least choose if we want a left/right handed sim in CAS though
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Sanriel85Sanriel85 Posts: 362 Member
    They didn't have enough time because EA want only our money. Sooner the better :/
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Did the devs want cars, toddlers, npc's, and base game careers?
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »

Didn't make it in:
    - Emotions
    - Smarter Sims
    - Whoohoo Skill

- All life stages

Your game must be bugged. I have smarter sims and emotions ;)

Hmm... you might be right, because I did indeed get a game full of bugs; several were patched but then there were new bugs introduced. To the best of my knowledge it's still buggy. Thank you for reminding me that it was actually 6/14 :unamused:

Didn't make it in:
    - A solid game foundation

• Options
    spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I'd love to see 3 and 4 in there. The other two .. doubt at this point they would make it in.
    There was a thread last night that brought up that there was a loves children and mopey trait that was removed from a video. I decided not to participate in that thread after an initial comment but I was thinking.. that mopey would be a great child or preteen trait. Who knows what's coming maybe some of this will make it in. I'd love for them to give pregnant sims some more diversity.. like having a craving.. stereotypical sure, but I'd love it.

Is that why a Get Together video was re-uploaded? To replace the mopey and loves children trait with something in game?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I'd love to see 3 and 4 in there. The other two .. doubt at this point they would make it in.
    There was a thread last night that brought up that there was a loves children and mopey trait that was removed from a video. I decided not to participate in that thread after an initial comment but I was thinking.. that mopey would be a great child or preteen trait. Who knows what's coming maybe some of this will make it in. I'd love for them to give pregnant sims some more diversity.. like having a craving.. stereotypical sure, but I'd love it.

Is that why a Get Together video was re-uploaded? To replace the mopey and loves children trait with something in game?

The theory I saw that makes sense is that it is was reuploaded to remove the misspelled "loves childen".
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Shortly after this article was posted originally Maxis confirmed that some of the things listed were never planned to be included in the game.

So not everything on this list is a result of cuts, they were miscommunications that were shared from a non-Maxis source.

But the Sims Official Magazine was endorsed by EA wasn't it? The Guru's used to post about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/604946/the-sims-official-magazine-issue-5-now-available/p1

But fair enough if it wasn't, but it's not the first time we've heard of things said to fans, and then backtracked by Maxis when made public ;)
    Apart from maybe hair and beard growth, a lot of these things seem very specific tbh. Like these don't sound like ideas a fan would bring up out of all things.

Right, but those magazines have been known for their miscommunication.

For instance, the official TS4 magazine claimed we'd get functional clothing stores in the base game, but a guru confirmed it wasn't true about a few weeks later or so.