Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is my laptop fine to play sims? *specs included*

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited February 2016
    There are a few PC manufacturers that are lax on their warranty, such as...
    1. Lenovo (new RAM, graphics card, HDD/SSD/SSHD, aftermatket CPU cooler, more case fans, etc.; Lenovo prefers you to not add in a new motherboard/CPU/power supply while it is under warranty though.)
    2. Alienware (only allow you to up the graphics card to one card higher (Example: GTX 960 to GTX 970, etc.)
    3. Dell (only can add in a dedicated graphics card if you do not have one; may allow power supply upgrade if you are wanting a higher-end graphics card and the power supply doesn't have enough power.)

I am still researching more into OEMs that are lax on their warranty and can allow upgrades. :)

Lenovo most likely has the cheapest and most affordable extended warranties as well; a 3-year extended warranty is only $99.

A three year extended warranty with Dell is around $169.

A three year extended warranty with Alienware is around $240... Which isn't surprising, since Alienware is over-priced.

A three year extended warranty with HP is around $229.

A three year extended warranty with Toshiba is around $109.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    chrstal27chrstal27 Posts: 75 Member
    chrstal27 wrote: »
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    Plaizealot wrote: »
    Googlie wrote: »
    I have an HP envy
    How much RAM does it have? Since the video card only has 2GB, it might help to max out the RAM on the system board so that the video card can borrow any unused RAM for processing. Check the manufacturer's recommendations for your system board. 8GB would be helpful, but if it can take 16GB, then I say "go for it".

you are aware that even if their computer ram can be upgraded if the computer is under warranty and they alter the computer they may void their warranty

Upgrading ram is kinda like changing the oil in your car. It will not void the warranty. If you are in doubt, ask the manufacturer..or do a simple google search. It might however void the warranty on the ram only. That was the deal when I owned a notebook.

you will find ALLOT of laptop warranties would be voided by upgrading ram.
    The same goes for desktops, I know with HP you can void the warranty just by taking the case panel off.

Interesting. That has not been my experience at all. Everything I have read and my own personal experience says that it will not void the warranty unless there is a sticker over the RAM cover that states opening it will void it. I would avoid HP if they put a warranty on it like that. Do you guys live in the US or another country?

Here is a pretty good link explaining why this is against the law in the US

http://www.kingston.com/us/company/magnusonmoss

Here is a link to some laws in other countries. o.o
    http://blog.macsales.com/18749-scare-tactics-aside-upgrades-do-not-void-your-warranty

It appears that, in general, ram and hard drives are considered user upgradeable parts. This is more fun learning about than playing the game. Draw your own conlusions about that.

It also depends on what the warranty says. Instead of going with a biased interpretation from a memory manufacturer, let everyone read it from a law library to really understand what it says.

Just do a simple google search and you will find that most people agree with me. I am not here to disseminate false imformation. Apparently, I've stepped on the toes of some of the 'regulars' here and am unwelcome. I will not go away though. So continue to attack my posts if you wish.

Also, I almost linked that very same article but felt the other was easier to understand in this context. Once you are done reading that (as if most people here looking for simple info are interested in reading the law in the law library :wink: ) , read my link for a clearer understanding then/or do a google search to find that on almost every major computer manufacturer site, the same conclusion amongst consumers and technical support, is drawn; ugrading ram or a hard drive will not void the warranty! Also, you will find the same information on most well regarded sites such as tomshardware, pcworld, pcgeeks, etc etc. It is a common misconception based on consumer ignorance that the manufacturers use to deceive people that may not be knowlegable. You cannot write any special rules into the warranty that will void it based on consumer upgradable parts because that is what the law prohibits! If it appears that way, then you are being deceived.

I do recommend people that are too frightened to change the ram have it done. It is very easy to do and most guides that come with your computer with show you how to do it as well as swap out the harddrive. I was uneasy the first time I did it, but it was rather simple. Ever since I had nearly every part on that laptop replaced, under warranty after upgrading the ram, I have been building my own computers.

not stepping on people's toes but you advised to the op to possibly change their ram without explaining it could void their warranty. Something they need to check before altering their computer

That was not me who suggested that. I just replied to your post about it voiding the warranty which is most likely false.

I do agree 4gb ram could be cutting it close though. The game was designed to run on less but there are instances where it could need more as stated in the sticky at the top of the forum about 64bit systems.

You replied to me that it would not void the warranty which in many cases it will why we advise to have the amount of ram required to run the game, windows , origin and other programs. 4gb ram might be ok if the person had windows 7 64bit and running the 32 bit version of the game . Windows 8 and 10 take more to run and are prone to memory leaks. I would not run windows 8 or 10 on 4gb of ram plus the game and origin.

No, it will not void the warranty. I replied because this is false information I repeatedly see being passed on and it is a common question. Just do a little research. It may depend on the laws in your country but in the US and many other, it is just a common misconception.

I did not disagree with you about the 4gb being low. That would be especially true if the user plans to run other programs along with Sims as opposed to just running the Sims. I would say they could upgrade their ram later but I don't know if they have a similar consumer protection law there. They should ask if it's possible to ugrade later or just go for 8gb if possible.

What HP told me is if you send the computer back to them while under warranty and the computer is altered in anyway it will void the warranty. I had asked them about ram upgrade on an old laptop . I also own an ASUS laptop same issue tough I wanted a newer 900 series video card

Just sounds like they are trying to scare you. Altered in what way exactly? They don't want you doing anything major. Upgrade on a laptop vid card would prob be considered major and was not something I would do with my own notebook. Ram is considered user upgradable.

My laptop was a Dell and they even sent and had me replace a fan assembly twice by myself. They had a tech on the phone to guide me through it.

If you upgrade your ram in your computer and manage to fry something, no it won't cover your error, lol. It also will not cover the new ram itself. That should be kinda obvious though.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I have an HP envy
    How much RAM does it have? Since the video card only has 2GB, it might help to max out the RAM on the system board so that the video card can borrow any unused RAM for processing. Check the manufacturer's recommendations for your system board. 8GB would be helpful, but if it can take 16GB, then I say "go for it".

you are aware that even if their computer ram can be upgraded if the computer is under warranty and they alter the computer they may void their warranty

Upgrading ram is kinda like changing the oil in your car. It will not void the warranty. If you are in doubt, ask the manufacturer..or do a simple google search. It might however void the warranty on the ram only. That was the deal when I owned a notebook.

The same goes for desktops, I know with HP you can void the warranty just by taking the case panel off.

Interesting. That has not been my experience at all. Everything I have read and my own personal experience says that it will not void the warranty unless there is a sticker over the RAM cover that states opening it will void it. I would avoid HP if they put a warranty on it like that. Do you guys live in the US or another country?

http://blog.macsales.com/18749-scare-tactics-aside-upgrades-do-not-void-your-warranty

It appears that, in general, ram and hard drives are considered user upgradeable parts. This is more fun learning about than playing the game. Draw your own conlusions about that.

It also depends on what the warranty says. Instead of going with a biased interpretation from a memory manufacturer, let everyone read it from a law library to really understand what it says.

Just do a simple google search and you will find that most people agree with me. I am not here to disseminate false imformation. Apparently, I've stepped on the toes of some of the 'regulars' here and am unwelcome. I will not go away though. So continue to attack my posts if you wish.

Also, I almost linked that very same article but felt the other was easier to understand in this context. Once you are done reading that (as if most people here looking for simple info are interested in reading the law in the law library :wink: ) , read my link for a clearer understanding then/or do a google search to find that on almost every major computer manufacturer site, the same conclusion amongst consumers and technical support, is drawn; ugrading ram or a hard drive will not void the warranty! Also, you will find the same information on most well regarded sites such as tomshardware, pcworld, pcgeeks, etc etc. It is a common misconception based on consumer ignorance that the manufacturers use to deceive people that may not be knowlegable. You cannot write any special rules into the warranty that will void it based on consumer upgradable parts because that is what the law prohibits! If it appears that way, then you are being deceived.

I do recommend people that are too frightened to change the ram have it done. It is very easy to do and most guides that come with your computer with show you how to do it as well as swap out the harddrive. I was uneasy the first time I did it, but it was rather simple. Ever since I had nearly every part on that laptop replaced, under warranty after upgrading the ram, I have been building my own computers.

not stepping on people's toes but you advised to the op to possibly change their ram without explaining it could void their warranty. Something they need to check before altering their computer

That was not me who suggested that. I just replied to your post about it voiding the warranty which is most likely false.

I do agree 4gb ram could be cutting it close though. The game was designed to run on less but there are instances where it could need more as stated in the sticky at the top of the forum about 64bit systems.

You replied to me that it would not void the warranty which in many cases it will why we advise to have the amount of ram required to run the game, windows , origin and other programs. 4gb ram might be ok if the person had windows 7 64bit and running the 32 bit version of the game . Windows 8 and 10 take more to run and are prone to memory leaks. I would not run windows 8 or 10 on 4gb of ram plus the game and origin.

No, it will not void the warranty. I replied because this is false information I repeatedly see being passed on and it is a common question. Just do a little research. It may depend on the laws in your country but in the US and many other, it is just a common misconception.

I did not disagree with you about the 4gb being low. That would be especially true if the user plans to run other programs along with Sims as opposed to just running the Sims. I would say they could upgrade their ram later but I don't know if they have a similar consumer protection law there. They should ask if it's possible to ugrade later or just go for 8gb if possible.

What HP told me is if you send the computer back to them while under warranty and the computer is altered in anyway it will void the warranty. I had asked them about ram upgrade on an old laptop . I also own an ASUS laptop same issue tough I wanted a newer 900 series video card

Thought so. I know in allot of cases it will void it.
    Because what happens if you upgrade the ram and break something or fry a component while doing so.. you think they will fix it under warranty? I dont think so.
    I purchased a third party extended warranty once for a custom pc.. it stated that any new hardware that was not included with the original warranty will not be covered and could void the warranty. Its all in the fine print.

Yeah, so if you change the ram or hard drive, the motherboard is still covered. It's the same concept. It isn't likely you will fry the motherboard by opening the ram slot a laptop or pulling out an easily replaceable hard drive. I dont know why I keep arguing about this. You all are not even listening or doing any research, except Colton as far as I can see.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/warranty-guide

Asus seems to be the only laptop you can't ugrade according to this. It's silly though and I believe even if one were to perform a minor ugrade, like ram, they would still honor warranty repairs on unrelated issues. It's the law.
    Post edited by chrstal27 on
  • Options
    Years ago i had a HP desktop.. it had a sticker on the side of the case (over the side panel screw) stating that opening the desktop will void the warranty. I have heard other people stating the same thing.
    I build and upgrade my own desktops now. (Have done for the past 10 years.)

I guess HP is supposed to clean your computer dust so you dont overheat the computer while under warranty :p

LOL. This is exactly what they want! More money for them.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited February 2016
    I have an HP envy

Because what happens if you upgrade the ram and break something or fry a component while doing so.. you think they will fix it under warranty? I dont think so.
    I purchased a third party extended warranty once for a custom pc.. it stated that any new hardware that was not included with the original warranty will not be covered and could void the warranty. Its all in the fine print.

Yeah, so if you change the ram or hard drive, the motherboard is still covered. It's the same concept. It isn't likely you will fry the motherboard by opening the ram slot a laptop or pulling out an easily replaceable hard drive. I dont know why I keep arguing about this. You all are not even listening or doing any research, except Colton as far as I can see.

Asus seems to be the only laptop you can't ugrade according to this. It's silly though and I believe even if one were to perform a minor ugrade, like ram, they would still honor warranty repairs on unrelated issues. It's the law.

i have no idea why you are arguing about this either.. this thread has gone way off topic.
    The op has not replied to the thread, so i have no idea why this thread is turning into a debate..the thread is not about upgrades or warranties, so lets not continue with it.
    If someone wanted to upgrade their laptop or desktop.. the logical thing to do would be to call the manufacturer and ask about it.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I have an HP envy

i have no idea why you are arguing about this either.. this thread has gone way off topic.
    The op has not replied to the thread, so i have no idea why this thread is turning into a debate..the thread is not about upgrades or warranties, so lets not continue with it.
    If someone wanted to upgrade their laptop or desktop.. the logical thing to do would be to call the manufacturer and ask about it.

yep an a newbee account where OP made one post . You know the drill :s
  • Options
    I have an HP envy

yep an a newbee account where OP made one post . You know the drill :s

Unfortunately i know it all too well. :expressionless:
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I have an HP envy

Just felt like people shouldn't constantly be misguidingly told that their warranties will be voided by making simple ugrades, so I made a reply and about 5 people jumped on me with personal stories about why I was wrong. People come here looking for advice. I think it was sufficiently proven that most warranties aren't void over upgrading ram. So, please stop scaring people into thinking that.
  • Options
    I have an HP envy

Just felt like people shouldn't constantly be misguidingly told that their warranties will be voided by making simple ugrades, so I made a reply and about 5 people jumped on me with personal stories about why I was wrong. People come here looking for advice. I think it was sufficiently proven that most warranties aren't void over upgrading ram. So, please stop scaring people into thinking that.

Nobody is scaring anyone. This thread is not about warranties or even ram. And people are allowed to tell their personal experiences. This thread should probably be closed now.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I have an HP envy

Nobody is scaring anyone. This thread is not about warranties or even ram. And people are allowed to tell their personal experiences. This thread should probably be closed now.

Sorry. D:

I'll notify. :)
    @blunote00
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited February 2016
    No one is misguiding anyone. It is standard procedure/practce to inform users not to void their warranties. My previous gaming laptop was an HP which had that sticker and my current MSI gaming laptop has the sticker. You can't go into them and change anything for at least a year (in my case). So telling someone to just do this or that without mentioning they could void their warranty is a big no no.

I don't know who you are or what your technical background is but I have 30 years of it and wouldn't just tell someone to do it without mentioning they could void their warranty. Having said that, let's keep this thread on topic to the OPs original post.

@colton147 @phoebebebe13
    As for requesting this thread be closed, I would need to see the request from the OP. From what I can tell they have not replied. It can be left open as long as everyone stays on topic.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I have an HP envy
    Specs

Detailed specifications
    Operating system
    Windows 10 Home 64d24
    Touch Screen
    Included
    Hard drive description
    1 TB 5400 rpm SATAd11
    Processor family
    Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7-6500U with Intel® HD Graphics 520 (2.5 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)d16
    Weight
    6.97 lbd4
    Display
    17.3" diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)d10
    Display size (diagonal)
    17.3"
    Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce 940M (2 GB DDR3L dedicated)d3
    Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
    16.34 x 11.07 x 1.21 in

Looks like this might be your laptop.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-17-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/4632100.p?id=1219780991289&skuId=4632100

Not sure why they do this but this is what happens when you buy off the shelf. They put a 5400 rpm hard drive in it which is slow. Also not sure about the 900 series nVidia card as it's the laptop card which I believe has issues with the Sims. The desktop version of the series does not have issues. You did not list your System Memory (RAM) but if you have more than 8 running Win10 it should be sufficient for now to run the game. Give it a go and see what happens. :)
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    blunote00 wrote: »
    No one is misguiding anyone. It is standard procedure to inform users not to void their warranties. My previous gaming laptop was an HP which had that sticker and my current MSI gaming laptop has the sticker. You can't go into them and change anything for at least a year (in my case). So telling someone to just do this or that without mentioning they could void their warrant is a big no no.

I don't know who you are or what your technical background is but I have 30 years of it and wouldn't just tell someone to do it without mentioning they could void their warranty. Having said that, let's keep this thread on topic to the OPs original post.

@colton147 @phoebebebe13
    As for requesting this thread be closed, I would need to see the request from the OP. From what I can tell they have not replied. It can be left open as long as everyone stays on topic.

Agree with everything above.
    Just said the thread probably should be closed.. but yes the OP has not responded yet so yes best to wait for OP. I have no idea why someone needed to start arguments. :confused:
    I do feel sorry for people that get their threads hijacked.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited February 2016
    @blunote00
    Chester had mentioned the thread should be closed down. OP has a newbee account and never came back. This unfortunately happens all to often in tech why ea should make people own the game to register in here. Stop people from having multiple accounts
  • Options
    @blunote00
    Chester had mentioned the thread should be closed down. OP has a newbee account and never came back. This unfortunately happens all to often in tech why ea should make people own the game to register in here. Stop people from having multiple accounts
    I had read the entire thread and must have gotten it mixed up in all that quoting. Sorry about that. ;)
  • Options
    @blunote00
    I had read the entire thread and must have gotten it mixed up in all that quoting. Sorry about that. ;)

Thats ok . Maybe we both need more Coffee :p
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    I have an HP envy
    Specs

Detailed specifications
    Operating system
    Windows 10 Home 64d24
    Touch Screen
    Included
    Hard drive description
    1 TB 5400 rpm SATAd11
    Processor family
    Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7-6500U with Intel® HD Graphics 520 (2.5 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)d16
    Weight
    6.97 lbd4
    Display
    17.3" diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)d10
    Display size (diagonal)
    17.3"
    Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce 940M (2 GB DDR3L dedicated)d3
    Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
    16.34 x 11.07 x 1.21 in

Looks like this might be your laptop.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-17-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/4632100.p?id=1219780991289&skuId=4632100

Not sure why they do this but this is what happens when you buy off the shelf. They put a 5400 rpm hard drive in it which is slow. Also not sure about the 900 series nVidia card as it's the laptop card which I believe has issues with the Sims. The desktop version of the series does not have issues. You did not list your System Memory (RAM) but if you have more than 8 running Win10 it should be sufficient for now to run the game. Give it a go and see what happens. :)
    If it is the Skylake processor it does have some problems with the Sims and it can also pertain to the MB with the new processor. I have no problems playing Sims 4 or 3 but Sims 2 UC I could not play being I have a Skylake processor 6700K and after a MB Bios upgrade it plays fine now.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SapicasabahSapicasabah Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello i hope someone can help me. I played Sims 3 on
    AMD Athlon 64X 2 dual core
    2GB RAM
    2.69GHZ
    Nvidia 8500GT 32 bit 256MB
    XP sp 3
    Pretty old i know and it was very laggy.
    I want to buy a new pc because i assume that upgrading to Sims 4 on this PC would be even worse than running Sims 3 on it.
    So what do you guys suggest me buying in between minimum requirements and reccomended for runing sims 4 smoothly?
  • Options
    Hello i hope someone can help me. I played Sims 3 on
    AMD Athlon 64X 2 dual core
    2GB RAM
    2.69GHZ
    Nvidia 8500GT 32 bit 256MB
    XP sp 3
    Pretty old i know and it was very laggy.
    I want to buy a new pc because i assume that upgrading to Sims 4 on this PC would be even worse than running Sims 3 on it.
    So what do you guys suggest me buying in between minimum requirements and reccomended for runing sims 4 smoothly?
    @Sapicasabah
    You would need to provide a budget. By stating PC I assume you're looking for a desktop.