May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gone backwards.Just nuts.

Comments

• Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    edited February 2016
    DeKay wrote: »
    Keffers wrote: »
    You know the age sliders, they slid the age. It was a key feature of the sims for 10 years.

Still don't know what you're talking about. Are you talking about an age bar where you can view how old the sim is? Cuz they have that in TS4 as long as you're playing as the sim.

The sliders were in the game options under game play there was a slider for each age group ie: child you could specify how many days you wanted to pass before your sims aged up.
    I used to put babies at 2 days, toddlers 1 day, child 8 days, young adult 20 days, adult 30 days, elderly 6 days.
    They could be changed through out your game.
    I always loved these I didn't have to keep babies, toddlers, or elderly around long......Now you just have 3 choices for lifespan.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,095 Member
    pinkish wrote: »
    You know the age sliders, they slid the age. It was a key feature of the sims for 10 years.

Still don't know what you're talking about. Are you talking about an age bar where you can view how old the sim is? Cuz they have that in TS4 as long as you're playing as the sim.

The sliders were in the game options under game play there was a slider for each age group ie: child you could specify how many days you wanted to pass before your sims aged up.
    I used to put babies at 2 days, toddlers 1 day, child 8 days, young adult 20 days, adult 30 days, elderly 6 days.
    They could be changed through out your game.
    I always loved these I didn't have to keep babies, toddlers, or elderly around long......Now you just have 3 choices for lifespan.

Yes but you can still set it for no aging and age them up when you're ready. It just requires a bit more tracking. Even with the age sliders in Sims 3 I would set it for the longest age span and then age up when I was ready.
  • Options
    greenmorekgreenmorek Posts: 63 Member
    I agree the game has gone backwards. But it plays better than the sims 3 so im not overly bothered about it. Its still a really good game.
    nOw9z6f.gif
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Sims (the people) look like 2011 creations instead of 2009 creations, so they are definitely improved. I like the colors I see in the game. Not a fan of the (at last appearance wise) Nintendo 64-esque texture complexity, and world size that assumes no one can afford a computer with more than 4 gigs of memory. The rest doesn't look a step back, but instead a shoulder shrug-side step, followed by a silent 'tough luck'.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Simnews 5, breaking news: Our world has been thrown back to the dark-ages by some unknown outside force. This unknown outside force has kidnapped our toddlers, and has taken away our age slide as well. :p
    They told us before Sims 4 was launched that they had cut-out a lot of stuff that had been in the previous Sims games. So why is this still breaking news to some players?
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2016
    I wouldn't say it went backwards. It's more like a sideways step and a genre change with no direction. Today, it may be risky woohoo, never weary, and alien abuctions. Tomorrow, it may not be those things at all. The next day, it may be something completely different, etc.

It's basically all over the place and not quite clear about what it wants to be. A step backwards, maybe not. All over the place and nowhere at all, maybe a little.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    There are two sets of age sliders that I remember, the one adjusting the age in sims 3, or the appearance age in Sims Medieval
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    SimmieSims wrote: »
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Another one of these threads. :s You'd think people would be bored by now. Is this forum on an endless loop ?

People are free to create whichever thread they want to create, just as we are free not to click on threads that don't interest us. You're right about this endless loop though, the endless loop of criticism of member's opinions and threads.

There's 1 favorite screenshot thread that gets updated all the time. There's 1 happy play thread. There was 1 big family play silence thread until it derailed from it's purpose. There's billions of these kinds of threads by now.

If all they can do is repeat the same plum that's always said the threads are pointless and they can just comment in an older thread instead of opening a completely new one. Tell me how this would not have fit with the other "Sims 4 is a step back" "Sims 4 ? More like Sims 1.5!" "So much left out from previous games!" posts.

Not everyone spends all day in this forum and knows every single thread that's ever been created :/ a lot of people just pop-in occasionally to say their piece and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. This is a forum for the entire community, not just the 20 or so who live in here.

Thank you very much, this should explain everything. Sometimes I wonder about people through their posts. SMH
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    edited February 2016
    The newbies may find this version of the Sims appealing but I have been with this franchise since day 1 and we have gone backwards.

1.Babies are nothing more then objects and skip the toddler stage to become a 10 year old.
    2.Gotta teleport to visit across the street or the lot next door.
    3.No more color wheel.
    4.No more age sliders.
    Over a decade and the Sims have gone backwards.

what age slider? I've been playing since sims 2 and only saw this on TSM where every sim in an adult. I played TS3 until about 2013-14 and never saw a patched age slider either.

EDIT: oh, you're talking about those sliders on game settings where you could set how many sim days each life stage would last? I liked that a lot, but the lack of it isn't something I'm actually missing. See, I played TS3 for years without it.
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    The newbies may find this version of the Sims appealing but I have been with this franchise since day 1 and we have gone backwards.

1.Babies are nothing more then objects and skip the toddler stage to become a 10 year old.
    3.No more color wheel.
    4.No more age sliders.
    I am not a newbie and I like the game. I have been with the franchise since The Sims.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member

3.No more color wheel.
    4.No more age sliders.
    I am not a newbie and I like the game. I have been with the franchise since The Sims.

It's great that you like the game. You're very lucky and I'm envious. Now all I need to be in your position is for some of the things which drew me to the game originally to reappear and then we can both be happy. Sounds like a good deal to me......
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,805 Member

If you played on Epic in Sims3, for instance, you could use the sliders to determine just how many days each age stage would last. That's what I believe the OP was referring to. So much better than Simply having X amount of days for a Sims' life, as in Sims2. When I read that we would have a selection of age lengths, I had really hoped they kept the slider from Sims3. Sadness, they did not. What they meant is Short, Normal, Long. However, I've used my own "walk around" inasmuch as I play Long when not playing a Legacy Challenge game, and age my Sims up using the cake whenever I feel like it. :)

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Raddish4Raddish4 Posts: 54 Member
    I have to agree with some of the previous posters who said the game isn't as exciting as it used to be. Sure, there are moments. But when I played TS3 I lost hours and didn't even notice. With TS4 I open the game, play for a bit and when a loading screen comes I just go surfing on the internet, sometimes forgetting that I was even playing. Or maybe I'm just too old now (I'm 29) and have grown out of it...
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    OP I agree The Sims 4 is nothing special in terms of "new experiences". Each and every sims game has offered new experiences, and comparing them The Sims 4 offers literally the least amount of "new" stuff.

CAS and Build Mode are the two highlights of the entire game. Gameplay is so exaggerated and boring, and not to mention repetitive (goals, goals, goals, group chat & skills pretty much sums up The Sims 4 experience). Cradle to grave experience? Nope, bipolar sims were more important than that.

Bottom line, these people wasted years of dev work on a game no one wanted (or even liked), and then sold us this reworked version of the same game whilst giving us the impression it was the best game ever. As far as I'm concerned, the problems I have with The Sims 4 run deeper than just what they've downgraded; the game lacks depth, and that isn't something they can patch in or add via DLC. I think the entire thing as a whole just represents how little respect EA/Maxis actually has for the people who purchase their products.

2, 3, 4 all have goals goals goals. You don't have to do them. In Sims 2 you have to do the goals or you must cheat. The biggest change (Aspiration System) in terms of gameplay was goal focused.

Sims 3 had oppuntinities which worked similar to career and aspiration goals in Sims 4. All of which are optional. You can get promoted in Sims 4 without completing goals it just takes a lot longer and constant good performance and successfully completing chance cards.

And the Sims 4 has a lot of depth. It just may not be in the areas you see fit. I mean get 8 Sims to explore a Skill each and there's heaps of depth there already.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Piperbird you are so right!

The entire framework of their "you rule" marketing campaign was built on a foundation of lies, because in The Sims 4 we aren't given options to "rule" outside of how the developers imagine the game. It's just sad.

And how is that different from any other Sims game? Sure, we had CASt in Sims 3, but apart from that, it's not like you could rule your games? You couldn't even rule your own business in Sims 3, the game did it for you.