Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Immortality???

Maybe I am reading this wrong or getting the wrong idea with ghosts but...
As I understand it, if you use ambrosia or the book of life on a ghost sim to resurrect them, they become immortal? I've used ambrosia, (an epic fail because apparently the ghost eating it needs to be sitting?) and the Book of Life to bring back a ghost sim to life. I did have success in bringing back a ghost with the book of life but what prevents this sim from dying again? I thought that this might give him or her a new trait but there is nothing new in the "former ghost turned back to sim" simology screen to indicate that anything new was added. If by immortality, the idea is to keep bringing your sim back with either a new book every time or ambrosia, why go through the bother in the first place? Just keep using the potion of youth while your sim is still alive makes more sense to me.
On a planet far, far away.

Comments

• Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Not sure about those two methods, but with the wishing well it works as an accidental death preventative... They do eventually die of old age, but any untimely deaths get you resurrected by Grim.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Ethyrdude wrote: »
    Maybe I am reading this wrong or getting the wrong idea with ghosts but...
    As I understand it, if you use ambrosia or the book of life on a ghost sim to resurrect them, they become immortal? I've used ambrosia, (an epic fail because apparently the ghost eating it needs to be sitting?) and the Book of Life to bring back a ghost sim to life. I did have success in bringing back a ghost with the book of life but what prevents this sim from dying again? I thought that this might give him or her a new trait but there is nothing new in the "former ghost turned back to sim" simology screen to indicate that anything new was added. If by immortality, the idea is to keep bringing your sim back with either a new book every time or ambrosia, why go through the bother in the first place? Just keep using the potion of youth while your sim is still alive makes more sense to me.

Sims do not have immortality if you want that just turn aging off. You can however use the cowplant or a potion of youth to make sims live longer or use a death flower to escape the grimm reaper, but you will need another sim to give the flower to the reaper.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Sims that are resurrected either by Book of Life or ambrosia do not become immortal. They can die through all the usual methods at any time. The reason people use those methods is if the sim dies by accident then they can bring them back to live after inviting their ghost back into their household. :)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Raddish4Raddish4 Posts: 54 Member
    When my ghost came back to life she didn't love her husband anymore. In fact, they were no longer married :(
  • Options
    Raddish4 wrote: »
    When my ghost came back to life she didn't love her husband anymore. In fact, they were no longer married :(

Ghosts lose relationships like marriage but usually retain the level of the relationship bars (friendship and romance) but they will decay at the normal rate. So if a ghost takes a while to make an appearance then those bars can have declined.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2016
    Again, this was an experiment to see what all the hype about ambrosia and the Book of life are all about. If I want to prevent death I only have to give them the eternal youth trait or immortal mod or as already suggested, turning off aging but I wanted to see if ambrosia or the book of life would give them either trait without resorting to a cheat or mod.

Edit: In other words, I was wondering if I was supposed to have something happen that obviously didn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Ethyrdude wrote: »
    Again, this was an experiment to see what all the hype about ambrosia and the Book of life are all about. If I want to prevent death I only have to give them the eternal youth trait or immortal mod or as already suggested, turning off aging but I wanted to see if ambrosia or the book of life would give them either trait without resorting to a cheat or mod.

It doesn't, like I posted above, both these items don't make a sim immortal they just resurrect dead sims in game, without mods and without cheats. :)

*edited: Not everyone wants to use cheats or mods so the game needs to have a 'ligit' way to resurrect dead sims without them.

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,859 Member
    I have never played with a ghost previously. Didn't find a reason to do so and quite frankly wasn't so very interested in it. However, with the culling situation, I decided to have the widow invite her ghostly husband to live in the household. This way I still have my Founder, but according to the Official Legacy Challenge rules, ghosts are prohibited from earning money so they can't hold jobs. Mostly, he just enjoys taking care of his son and grandsons by either cooking, cleaning or just hanging out. He is also inclined to help with homework, although both boys are now YAs. Sometimes, he's called to Windenburg to go out on the town, etc. . He's still a fun guy. Why not? I have not invited his late wife to live in the household, because I don't wish to fill up much valued slots that should be taken by the 'living'.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Also ghosts don't need to be sitting down to eat ambrosia and be successfully brought back to life, maybe you had conflicting CC or a mod?

• Options
    OK everyone, thank you for your replies.
  • Options
    @NZsimm3r

Actually, I made a mistake, I was sitting down when the ambrosia failed, this is a long time recognized bug and has been recorded by many others. Here is one link but there are many others and I believe that this has not been fixed yet. http://forums.thesims.com/EN_US/discussion/813698/ambrosia-problems
    I found this page and others when I was trying to find out why the ambrosia didn't work. Google lists a ton more links. I guess being able to resurrect a sim that one has accidentally allowed to die is enough reward for some, to go through the process but to me it seems like a lot of work that could have been avoided by using a potion or turning off aging. I just felt like there should be more, that's all.
  • Options
    Hmm... I guess I've just been lucky then as I haven't had ambrosia fail yet. Thanks for linking me to that :+1:@Ethyrdude

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member
    I still no resurrect a ghost
    All methods when resurrect a ghost bring her/his at day 1 of YA?
  • Options
    RestlessJukeboxRestlessJukebox Posts: 69 Member
    > @Ethyrdude said:
    > Maybe I am reading this wrong or getting the wrong idea with ghosts but...
    > As I understand it, if you use ambrosia or the book of life on a ghost sim to resurrect them, they become immortal? I've used ambrosia, (an epic fail because apparently the ghost eating it needs to be sitting?) and the Book of Life to bring back a ghost sim to life. I did have success in bringing back a ghost with the book of life but what prevents this sim from dying again? I thought that this might give him or her a new trait but there is nothing new in the "former ghost turned back to sim" simology screen to indicate that anything new was added. If by immortality, the idea is to keep bringing your sim back with either a new book every time or ambrosia, why go through the bother in the first place? Just keep using the potion of youth while your sim is still alive makes more sense to me.

there's an immortality mod!!
  • Options
    leo3487 wrote: »

No, your ghost will be whatever stage they were at when they died. So if your sim dies as an elder, the ghost will be an elder and so on.

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    leo3487 wrote: »

No, your ghost will be whatever stage they were at when they died. So if your sim dies as an elder, the ghost will be an elder and so on.

then for an sim than died of old age you need ambrosia AND youth potion?
  • Options
    You can't make an elder any younger in ts4 unless you use cheats... even then you can have problems with aspirations traits. Potion of Youth only resets the sim back to the beginning of whatever stage they are in when they drink it.

So if an elder drinks a potion of youth the sim will be back at the beginning of the elder stage.

If an adult drinks a potion of youth the sim will be back at the beginning of the adult stage ... and so on

• Options
    MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    I didn't know there was a book of life with sims 4. How do you find it?
  • Options
    MysticOne wrote: »
    I didn't know there was a book of life with sims 4. How do you find it?

A sim that has completed the Best Selling Author is able to write a Book of Life about a sim they know. The author can not write one about themselves though.

• Options
    @RestlessJukebox
    > @Ethyrdude said:
    > Maybe I am reading this wrong or getting the wrong idea with ghosts but...
    > As I understand it, if you use ambrosia or the book of life on a ghost sim to resurrect them, they become immortal? I've used ambrosia, (an epic fail because apparently the ghost eating it needs to be sitting?) and the Book of Life to bring back a ghost sim to life. I did have success in bringing back a ghost with the book of life but what prevents this sim from dying again? I thought that this might give him or her a new trait but there is nothing new in the "former ghost turned back to sim" simology screen to indicate that anything new was added. If by immortality, the idea is to keep bringing your sim back with either a new book every time or ambrosia, why go through the bother in the first place? Just keep using the potion of youth while your sim is still alive makes more sense to me.

there's an immortality mod!!
    There sure is! I was hoping from what I read about resurrecting ghosts that doing so would also give them this trait without using the mod, to give a sim this trait, with or without a mod, there has to be coding in place to allow it, and so today was the first day I went through and actually had a sim try the Book of Life. I was hoping to find a way without using the mod. In any case, I have the mod and use it frequently, that way I can limit as to who gets the trait and who doesn't, after all, it should only be rewarded to a worthy sim. I wouldn't want to give it to the whole family and have an evil brother or sister get immortality too. :smiley:
  • Options
    RestlessJukeboxRestlessJukebox Posts: 69 Member
    > @Ethyrdude said:
    > @RestlessJukebox RestlessJukebox wrote: »
    >
    > > @Ethyrdude said:
    > > Maybe I am reading this wrong or getting the wrong idea with ghosts but...
    > > As I understand it, if you use ambrosia or the book of life on a ghost sim to resurrect them, they become immortal? I've used ambrosia, (an epic fail because apparently the ghost eating it needs to be sitting?) and the Book of Life to bring back a ghost sim to life. I did have success in bringing back a ghost with the book of life but what prevents this sim from dying again? I thought that this might give him or her a new trait but there is nothing new in the "former ghost turned back to sim" simology screen to indicate that anything new was added. If by immortality, the idea is to keep bringing your sim back with either a new book every time or ambrosia, why go through the bother in the first place? Just keep using the potion of youth while your sim is still alive makes more sense to me.
    >
    > there's an immortality mod!!
    >
    >
    >
    > There sure is! I was hoping from what I read about resurrecting ghosts that doing so would also give them this trait without using the mod, to give a sim this trait, with or without a mod, there has to be coding in place to allow it, and so today was the first day I went through and actually had a sim try the Book of Life. I was hoping to find a way without using the mod. In any case, I have the mod and use it frequently, that way I can limit as to who gets the trait and who doesn't, after all, it should only be rewarded to a worthy sim. I wouldn't want to give it to the whole family and have an evil brother or sister get immortality too. :smiley:

oh, i see!!!