Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Klepto Trait

First of all, I just want to say that I loved all the new items/traits made available through this patch. My sims can finally have an unhealthy obsession with grilled cheese sandwiches! I just have one question, why can't you shoplift from stores in the Get to Work expansion pack? I love the kleptomaniac trait, but I don't understand why the developers didn't make it possible to steal items that are for sale. This would also tie in nicely with the police occupation. Cops could arrest shoplifters, or the owner could just intervene and the shoplifter would get in trouble.

Comments

• Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    Very great idea, but you are giving too much work to EA/Maxis. Please tone it down a bit, they usually don't have the time or the money for that.
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited February 2016
    I noticed that too.
    I plan to go back to my sim's store and take some items off sale, so they can be stolen. One item happened to be off sale here.
    02-05-16_10-25-21nbspAM.png

However, I really wish my sim could steal paintings made by other sims. One of my art clubs has a hangout in the art museum. They are filling the place with their paintings, but my klepto sim cannot steal them.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I m going to put a sim with the klepto trait in the detectives career and see if he can swipe stuff from the crime scenes he goes to.
  • Options
    gretamode1gretamode1 Posts: 50 Member
    @RARAW You're right, my expectations are too high. I just think it would be really cool, but I appreciate the work that the development team is doing.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I m going to put a sim with the klepto trait in the detectives career and see if he can swipe stuff from the crime scenes he goes to.

Brilliant idea. Bad cop :)
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I think as mischief skill increases you can steal more advanced items, perhaps that will unlock stealing from shops?
  • Options
    Bert1701Bert1701 Posts: 159 Member
    I'm currently working on levelling the mischief skill and hoping my Sim can start stealing toilets from her neighbor's houses, like the NPC burglars used to do in other games. I don't know why, but I just think that it would be hilarious to swipe a toilet from another sim... I'm nearly 30 years old so should probably have more advanced sense of humor, but meh. :blush:
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    The kleptomaniac trait is much better than the Sims 3 one. My sim steals something from work every single day. On Sims 3 I didn't really notice a difference with the trait but with the Sims 4 version I definitely can tell that my sim is a compulsive thief!
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    The kleptomaniac trait is much better than the Sims 3 one. My sim steals something from work every single day. On Sims 3 I didn't really notice a difference with the trait but with the Sims 4 version I definitely can tell that my sim is a compulsive thief!

Have you noticed a limitation? Like how many items per day, or what you can't steal? :o I haven't had much time to test the trait out, so I have no idea.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    From what I've read you can steal more things (based on value or size perhaps?) as your Mischief skill increases.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    klepto such a useless trait they should of brough back something more useful like the option to do laundry
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    From what I've read you can steal more things (based on value or size perhaps?) as your Mischief skill increases.

I'm mostly curious if sims can steal counters and cupboards...mostly to furnish a house with stolen objects :D
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    klepto such a useless trait they should of brough back something more useful like the option to do laundry

Using the Klepto trait is optional. So don't use it if you think it's useless. I'm sure people will opt out of laundry on the sims so long as it's optional.
  • Options
    wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    Bert1701 wrote: »
    I'm currently working on levelling the mischief skill and hoping my Sim can start stealing toilets from her neighbor's houses, like the NPC burglars used to do in other games. I don't know why, but I just think that it would be hilarious to swipe a toilet from another sim... I'm nearly 30 years old so should probably have more advanced sense of humor, but meh. :blush:

Just remember to make a toilet garden in your sim's front yard then of all the stolen goods :P Oversize them for extra hilarity. Or, open a shop in which you sell strictly stolen toilets/other goods. You can name it "Five Finger Discount".
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • Options
    wyn wrote: »

Just remember to make a toilet garden in your sim's front yard then of all the stolen goods :P Oversize them for extra hilarity. Or, open a shop in which you sell strictly stolen toilets/other goods. You can name it "Five Finger Discount".

Oh good god. That shop idea is amazing! I am totally going to do it.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    LOL. I found it hilarious some years ago when my son was playing a very poor sim (who didn't have much furniture) and a burglar got into his house and started stealing his stuff. His sim got out of bed to phone the police and the burglar stole his bed too. That would be another funny thing to do as a klepto sim!
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I could just go in the game and find out, but can sims call the police on stolen items? and will those sims be arrested.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member

I hated the laundry thing. It was only necessary if you bought the washer and dryer and my poor simmies never had time so it was just annoying that they always wanted to buy a washer and dryer! I'd much rather have klepto! :D
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member

It's a fun trait, beside's this is a life simulation game & in real life there are people who have sticky finger's & steal things. I'm sure laundry will come back, but in the meantime you'll just have to wait for it.
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Have you noticed a limitation? Like how many items per day, or what you can't steal? :o I haven't had much time to test the trait out, so I have no idea.
    Each time you steal successfully, you get an energized buff. You can't steal again until this buff wears off. Of the levels I've seen so far, the buff can be 2, 4, or 8 hours, depending on the worth/level of the item you stole. Nabbing a cheap decorative item like a towel, for example, would be only be 2 hours (and can be done at lower levels). I'm not sure on the exact progression of items, but I do remember for sure that...

Nabbing something more expensive like a sofa chair is a 4 hour buff. And nabbing something really expensive, like a TV or computer is an 8 hour buff.

I've yet to get caught, so I don't know if getting caught gives you a "you can't do this again for some time" kind of buff as well.

The highest I've tested is level 8 mischief. I'm not sure yet if there's a level where you can nab stuff like beds or refrigerators.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Tatch012802Tatch012802 Posts: 1 New Member
    Okay so I wanted to restart my game but still keep my old files so I took the saves folder out and it was fine and it restarted my game like I wanted but then I wanted to go back to my old save file and I dragged the one I just made out and put the old one back in but now when I just open sims it acts like a new game even though I have that old saves folder in there. Does anyone know how to get the saves folder like back into working action or something?
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member

It's a fun trait, beside's this is a life simulation game & in real life there are people who have sticky finger's & steal things. I'm sure laundry will come back, but in the meantime you'll just have to wait for it.

for your info i do not let my sims age and chose the traits that fits with my play style i do not even let my sims die since i turn off death as well
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Thank you @Triplis that was extremely helpful :o I can't wait til I can play around with the trait. It seems way more detailed than TS3 trait.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Thank you @Triplis that was extremely helpful :o I can't wait til I can play around with the trait. It seems way more detailed than TS3 trait.
    No problem. :)

Little more info from some testing I just did:
    - Getting caught definitely does give a cooldown debuff. I'm guessing its length is proportional to the item you're attempting to steal, cause I got caught on a television and got 8 hour debuff. The debuff is Embarrassed, so I thought I'd try something...
    - If you pick up the Shameless trait (can't be Embarrassed) then you can literally steal an item right in front of another sim and not get caught. XD You will get notified that you were successful and then the other sim will gasp after the fact, but no embarrassed debuff.
    - Even at level 10, the type of items you can swipe is a bit limited. So far, some of the kinds I haven't had the option to swipe: Refrigerators, stoves, playground equipment. Some that you can swipe: Furniture (chairs, sofas), plants (the kind you can buy and place in build mode), computers, TVs.

Looks like the general setup is, if the item is considered vital to a sim staying alive, it can't be swiped. I'm betting it's only a matter of time until somebody mods this though lol.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »

I hated the laundry thing. It was only necessary if you bought the washer and dryer and my poor simmies never had time so it was just annoying that they always wanted to buy a washer and dryer! I'd much rather have klepto! :D

Like you I found laundry annoying. After the initial novelty wore off I think the only time I put one in the house was when I wanted to create a slob's house with laundry all over the floor. The klepto trait sounds much more amusing.

alan650111 wrote: »

The only thing I didn't like about the TS3 version was that my Sim could only steal cars during a certain time. It's been a while but I think it was after dark and before morning. Other than that my kleptos were quite active.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright