Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 cafes vs. TS2 restaurants

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,094 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Sims 2 restaurants were fine, however I think they will improve them with 4.

The Sims 2 experience can get boring without multitasking, Sims either eat or talk, and can't do both at the same time. So they have a chat, and then it goes into awkward silence with a normal eating animation.
    The Sims 4 has different eating animations for when Sims are talking, and when they are talking it still considers you Sim eating.

All I know is that the Sims 4 Cafe's are better than the ones in 1,2 and 3. BUT when it comes to Resturants, the Sims 4 team have a lot to do to beat Sims 2 Resturants. I think they will easily beat Sims 3, but Sims 1 and 2 did it very well.

--

Also, everyone knows you're using a mod. No point acting like its Vanilla. :p

?????

My Sims in TS2 eat and chat all the time. I Just found a random video on youtube showing this:

The animation briefly pauses for the chat, and then they continue eating. Yes, TS4 multitasking takes it another level, which extends eating time, but the way you describe it gives the impression TS2 sims either ate their meal or chatted, when actually the animations flowed from chatting to eating, to eating and chatting. Occasionally you will get silence, which I didn't mind either, in my experience they would start back chatting at the table about something or other..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJAa8qsXeGA
    So what I get from this Sims 2 Sims had manners Sims 4 talk with their mouth full.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Sims 2 restaurants were fine, however I think they will improve them with 4.

The Sims 2 experience can get boring without multitasking, Sims either eat or talk, and can't do both at the same time. So they have a chat, and then it goes into awkward silence with a normal eating animation.
    The Sims 4 has different eating animations for when Sims are talking, and when they are talking it still considers you Sim eating.

All I know is that the Sims 4 Cafe's are better than the ones in 1,2 and 3. BUT when it comes to Resturants, the Sims 4 team have a lot to do to beat Sims 2 Resturants. I think they will easily beat Sims 3, but Sims 1 and 2 did it very well.

--

Also, everyone knows you're using a mod. No point acting like its Vanilla. :p

?????

My Sims in TS2 eat and chat all the time. I Just found a random video on youtube showing this:

The animation briefly pauses for the chat, and then they continue eating. Yes, TS4 multitasking takes it another level, which extends eating time, but the way you describe it gives the impression TS2 sims either ate their meal or chatted, when actually the animations flowed from chatting to eating, to eating and chatting. Occasionally you will get silence, which I didn't mind either, in my experience they would start back chatting at the table about something or other..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJAa8qsXeGA
    So what I get from this Sims 2 Sims had manners Sims 4 talk with their mouth full.
    LOL So true.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited January 2016
    Thats what you normally see at restaurants , I could be talking while my boyfriend is eating but that doesn't mean he isn't listening. Normally he replies after hes done chewing his food. Also nobody eats and talks at the sametime in real life, they either eat their food, take a sip of their drink, then continue the conversation. People do this cause its considered rude and disgusting to talk and eat at the same time, most people would tell you to shut your yap and chew your food first or look away from you to avoid vomiting. lol Anyways I do kinda like a blend of both, when i played sims 2 the restraurants had a decent amount of sims ordering their food and such. The cafe is nice but it would be better if there was more than one person serving drinks, the barista gets to overwhelmed and forgets drinks or some other sim snatches it up. Also they need to bring lines back, that looks like a giant mess with all the sims standing there, I would get confused and lose track of who ordered first. Other than that, the cafe looks pretty cool..too bad they didn't give the option to run it. Also if your game is modded, then this comparison is super unfair. And with that many sims in that one area I'm pretty sure some clipping is going on.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with neither Sims 2 restaurants (well, my sims ate there once but that's not enough to form an opinion about the concept I mean) nor Sims 4 cafes, but do I understand correctly that the cafes are better because they are so crowded, but in fact that turns out to be a mod? Or is there more to it?
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    I don't think its a fair comparison as restaurants and cafe's although similar are still very different venues and we still don't know if Sims 4 will get restaurants anyway. I never liked restaurants in sims 2 as they were a bit dull and had just the worst atmosphere. Plus the sims to me were never very socially inclined and they couldn't multitask well either so often it was just my two sims robotically sitting there with a lifeless look on their face eating ribs (with a fork :# ).
    That one time my sims went to a restaurant they did a lot more than eating ribs with a lifeless look on their faces. There were all kind of interactions.

012_zpsb86638af.jpg

014_zps382922d5.jpg

015_zps466fa52c.jpg

(first one isn't in a restaurant, it was room service in the hotel, but if I remember correctly the animations were the same)

Well either way it was eating or talking never both and to me it was boring with those robotic faces they had when they were eating. Plus when one person was eating and another was talking it was like the person who was eating was completely ignoring the other person cause they'd just look off into space while the other blabbed on and on the interactions were just so basic and that's fine cause there was only so much maxis could do at the time. But luckily with better interactions and multitasking Sims 4 could have great restaurants (As long as the correct amount of effort was put in).
    As for the ignoring part, I didn't notice that in Sims 2. It feels completely natural to me the person spoken to continues eating, you don't necessariliy have to constantly face someone in order to listen. In Sims 4 there's also ignoring, but it looks rude and unnatural to me. Like taking their plate in the middle of a conversation and sit somewhere else. That would spoil the rest of my meal in real life I can assure you. Was it something I said....? Or suddenly turning your back to the person talking, her continuing the 'conversation' with your neck.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I like them both, and I also want to be on record and say I really liked the java hut from TS3's University Life. I always replaced the fire station in Bridgeport with this lot from the university world.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    SimsSocietyInfoSimsSocietyInfo Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2016
    I like The Sims 4 Cafes, really nice adding some nice gameplay. But definitely would like to see the return of Restaurants, as well as the NPC's with it: Chef, Waiter, Waitress etc ...
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,422 Member
    As much as I love the cafes in TS4 since I finally have somewhere to take my dates and they feel like real cafes, I still want TS2 restaurants back. The cafés are nice for starter dates, but my sims need a formal restaurant to take their dates so they can propose at the table again.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    For what it's worth, in my opinion, TS1 had the best restaurants. None of my sims ever sat with their groups or even dates in TS2. In TS1, you could go and sit in the booth in the diner and play footsie or even make out and get caught by the old lady who became Miss Crumplebottom in TS2. Or you could go to the fancy restaurant and pay for the violinist to serenade your date. As for TS3 -- best not to say anything.
  • Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    For what it's worth, in my opinion, TS1 had the best restaurants. None of my sims ever sat with their groups or even dates in TS2. In TS1, you could go and sit in the booth in the diner and play footsie or even make out and get caught by the old lady who became Miss Crumplebottom in TS2. Or you could go to the fancy restaurant and pay for the violinist to serenade your date. As for TS3 -- best not to say anything.

And the lies continue ... Sims 4, the game that you have to lie about to make it look good.

Use a mod to bring more sims, then compare it with an unmodded Sims 2 game. (More slight of hand, take a crap picture with walls down, make sure your game picture is the best that it can be, find the worst restaurant in the Sims 2 game (nobody uses the lot, it's crap). Use Sims 4 group facility, but ignore this in Sims 2 and only show single diners (not even the famous dates that everybody remembers hearing about) Hope nobody makes any buying purchases based on this piece of nonsense.

Sims 2 isn't coded to allow sims on a date to sit separately, unless you put them at a table where there is only one chair. Even then, your date will stand over the table and keep on watching you eat. Like Sims 4, they are stuck together when they are in a group (or on a date) I'd love to know how you managed to break your sims 2 game like this, but I'm more wondering if you ever played it.

Anyway, agree.. Sims 1 dates were absolutely magical, until you tried to leave, when the saxaphone guy would get stuck in the way and you'd have to quit your game and reload again. Only flaw, but not enough for me to worry about. I don't need to trash talk and lie about former games to make my current game look good.
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    The biggest problem I find in sims of TS4 is sticking their behinds on chair. They just cant seem to sit still. They have to keep moving and having the musical chairs. Developers need to do something about it.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who prefers TS4 cafes over TS2 restaurants?

uOrrjZZ.jpg

7IIAP7v.jpg

As a venue, cafes in TS4 just work so much better. You'll see Sims ordering food/drink either for here or to go. Friends would often come to the cafe together, or if it's during daytime, co-workers would come togther in their work uniform for a "business meeting." And then you have Sims who would sit on the couch and browse the web with a tablet, or Sims who would read a book while waiting for their order. With Get Together now we also have club members who would hang out at the cafe together. If two family members are in the cafe at the same time, you'll see them hugging each other, or if it's a couple they'll kiss each other. Sims just contantly interact with other Sims and everyone just looks like they are having a good time. Even if someone isn't happy, you can immeditely tell from their facial expression—the range of emotion Sims can easily show is just brilliant.

9KBSPcT.jpg

4UtN86S.jpg

Meanwhile restaurants in TS2 are a much less interesting, depressing even, experience. Sims often act like they are completely oblivious of each other. They just sit on their seats and get their own food; they almost never interact with Sims outside of their own group. Most of the time, Sims are devoid of any expression; you can't tell from their face if they're happy or sad. In TS4's cafes, you often get to see things like Sims slapping their cheating spouse, or an angry Sim knocking over the trashcan; there's simply never a dull moment. By contrast, TS2's restaurants are much less eventful; there is hardly ever anything interesting going on.

wfVbZ9w.jpg

4h9h9Qw.jpg

The level of stimulation that can be achieved in TS4 is just so much better. So even though cafes should be a much simpler venue, they are just way more fun to play than TS2's restaurants.

Ok first, I have no freakin' clue how you managed to get all those sims into that one lot but the game does not operate like that on itself.

Secondly, they are two completely different venues and they operate in completely different ways. In TS2 restaurants had chefs making the food in the background, waiters serving and that guy that was always standing behind the pod thingy with the reservations that would sit sims. TS4 has a barista NPC and sims can either eat at the cafe or take the food with them which I do so love to see those little paper bags in TS4 really cute/cool(it's in the details! And it's one of the reasons why I think TS4 wins over TS3).

TS4 does not have restaurants, it has however cafes and I think TS2 had them too and so did TS3. Sadly I can't fully recall how cafes were in TS2 so that I could compare them myself.

I'd also like to point that I do not completely understand the point of this thread. Just because you may think Cafes in TS4 are somewhat better than restaurants in TS2 does not make it a valid argument for whatever you are trying to prove since again, they are different venues and I still very much want restaurants in TS4.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    Miamine wrote: »
    And the lies continue ... Sims 4, the game that you have to lie about to make it look good.

Use a mod to bring more sims, then compare it with an unmodded Sims 2 game. (More slight of hand, take a crap picture with walls down, make sure your game picture is the best that it can be, find the worst restaurant in the Sims 2 game (nobody uses the lot, it's crap). Use Sims 4 group facility, but ignore this in Sims 2 and only show single diners (not even the famous dates that everybody remembers hearing about) Hope nobody makes any buying purchases based on this piece of nonsense.
    Yep. I mean, even I could see that's one of the more boring restaurants. And why go through the effort of doing that? It's not like TS2 was made by a different dev. company - granted the staff has changed - we should be proud of what TS2 delivered, it was an astonishing game when it was released and still holds its own. The lengths some go to :D

There's a lovely restaurant in TS2 I loved taking my Sims to - Eco themed - it came with the game, can't remember the name, it has a bubble bar, pond, secluded areas, really lovely layout. Sims would be dancing, blowing bubbles, and you'll see Sims sitting at tables eating... being "Lively"..
  • Options
    My Sims tend to ignore each other all the time at the by table. They are too busy using their phones to even talk to other Sims most of the time. The Sims 4 has the worst multitasking and most rude Sims while eating. They have no manners and takes them forever to eat. Multitasking really needs a lot of work done for dates to even have time to work right.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who prefers TS4 cafes over TS2 restaurants?

uOrrjZZ.jpg

7IIAP7v.jpg

As a venue, cafes in TS4 just work so much better. You'll see Sims ordering food/drink either for here or to go. Friends would often come to the cafe together, or if it's during daytime, co-workers would come togther in their work uniform for a "business meeting." And then you have Sims who would sit on the couch and browse the web with a tablet, or Sims who would read a book while waiting for their order. With Get Together now we also have club members who would hang out at the cafe together. If two family members are in the cafe at the same time, you'll see them hugging each other, or if it's a couple they'll kiss each other. Sims just contantly interact with other Sims and everyone just looks like they are having a good time. Even if someone isn't happy, you can immeditely tell from their facial expression—the range of emotion Sims can easily show is just brilliant.

9KBSPcT.jpg

4UtN86S.jpg

Meanwhile restaurants in TS2 are a much less interesting, depressing even, experience. Sims often act like they are completely oblivious of each other. They just sit on their seats and get their own food; they almost never interact with Sims outside of their own group. Most of the time, Sims are devoid of any expression; you can't tell from their face if they're happy or sad. In TS4's cafes, you often get to see things like Sims slapping their cheating spouse, or an angry Sim knocking over the trashcan; there's simply never a dull moment. By contrast, TS2's restaurants are much less eventful; there is hardly ever anything interesting going on.

wfVbZ9w.jpg

4h9h9Qw.jpg

The level of stimulation that can be achieved in TS4 is just so much better. So even though cafes should be a much simpler venue, they are just way more fun to play than TS2's restaurants.

Ok first, I have no freakin' clue how you managed to get all those sims into that one lot but the game does not operate like that on itself.

Secondly, they are two completely different venues and they operate in completely different ways. In TS2 restaurants had chefs making the food in the background, waiters serving and that guy that was always standing behind the pod thingy with the reservations that would sit sims. TS4 has a barista NPC and sims can either eat at the cafe or take the food with them which I do so love to see those little paper bags in TS4 really cute/cool(it's in the details! And it's one of the reasons why I think TS4 wins over TS3).

TS4 does not have restaurants, it has however cafes and I think TS2 had them too and so did TS3. Sadly I can't fully recall how cafes were in TS2 so that I could compare them myself.

I'd also like to point that I do not completely understand the point of this thread. Just because you may think Cafes in TS4 are somewhat better than restaurants in TS2 does not make it a valid argument for whatever you are trying to prove since again, they are different venues and I still very much want restaurants in TS4.
    I think @kremesch73 nailed that one perfectly (lol): "The OP was only fluffing his feathers because of his mods."
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    My Sims tend to ignore each other all the time at the by table. They are too busy using their phones to even talk to other Sims most of the time. The Sims 4 has the worst multitasking and most rude Sims while eating. They have no manners and takes them forever to eat. Multitasking really needs a lot of work done for dates to even have time to work right.

Wow... Ok, I guess TS4 really is close to real life....
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    threads like this make me always appreciate the previous iterations more
    if a present game is in bitter need to be compared to a 10 years old one then there is definately something very wrong with the new one :joy:

& btw
    TS2 had also cafes, not only restaurants, both could be owned & run by any sim in the game
    if i had to choose only one of those two games, my decision would be very easy, TS2 would win undisputed

here a video about the functionality of a user made cafe from TS2, cafe not a restaurant, made 2015
    https://youtu.be/9utMRqtkhIQ

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    ENolan wrote: »

Yeah maybe. If my parents caught me texting while at the dinner table, they would probably take away the phone. They always taught me to spend time with the people around me instead of isolating myself in front of a screen. I don't know with gatherings I tend to like to talk to people face to face instead. Maybe I'm just different. *shrugs* I wish cell phone usage was tied to a trait instead of making all Sims tech obsessed. Why I loved the technophobia trait so much in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2016

Yeah maybe. If my parents caught me texting while at the dinner table, they would probably take away the phone. They always taught me to spend time with the people around me instead of isolating myself in front of a screen. I don't know with gatherings I tend to like to talk to people face to face instead. Maybe I'm just different. *shrugs* I wish cell phone usage was tied to a trait instead of making all Sims tech obsessed. Why I loved the technophobia trait so much in the Sims 3.

I actually wish it was an option and not a mandatory attachment. I can't count the number of times where I've wanted to yank that blasted phone out of their hands and beat them with it.

I think it's rude in RL, and it's equally annoying in the game.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited January 2016
    The biggest problem I find in sims of TS4 is sticking their behinds on chair. They just cant seem to sit still. They have to keep moving and having the musical chairs. Developers need to do something about it.
    I thought they fixed this in one of their patches or it was snow job they were giving, but yes I noticed this too because the sim sits for a few moments and then they are off again.

Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I actually wish it was an option and not a mandatory attachment. I can't count the number of times where I've wanted to yank that blasted phone out of their hands and beat them with it.

Option for it would be nice. I wish the cell phone was an option too that way it would be easier to do more classic stories if I wanted to.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

Option for it would be nice. I wish the cell phone was an option too that way it would be easier to do more classic stories if I wanted to.

I'd like that. i miss having to buy them phones. Then again, they didn't use them every time I turned my back on them.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,142 Member

I'd like that. i miss having to buy them phones. Then again, they didn't use them every time I turned my back on them.

Ah options... the biggest thing missing in TS4 when compared to TS2. I too appreciate that you could have your sims buy mobile phones or not.