Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 VS Sims 4

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    lasummerb wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sims 3. No contest.

EA taking over the sims was the worst possible thing that could have ever happened. Instead of IMPROVING each game, look what they've done since Sims 2.

Sims 2-Toddlers could play with each other
    Sims 3- they can't

Sims 2-Pets could cuddle anywhere
    Sims 3- they need a freakin' bed

Sims 2-toddlers could cuddle pets
    Sims 3-they can barely do anything.

Sims 4-Is literally just sims 1 with slightly better graphics and stupid walk cycles.

They take things OUT of new games instead of adding things that are needed EA takes steps backwards where Maxis would have improved the games.

I won't even touch sims 4 until I see a seasons and pets EP But seeing as Sims 4 has been out, what? a little over a year and all they've released is a stuff EP and a jobs patch, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Even so, they'll probably suck. I was mad enough when dogs and cats couldn't do things like play in the snow or walk on ice on lakes or even swim in the lakes when the seasons EP for sims 3 came out. Imagine how bad seasons and pets will be for sims 4 based on how simple the base game is. It'll probably go back to not being able to control the pets, which is IMO the best part of sims 3 pets.
    Sims 2- Sims were living their lives on one lot, time didn't continue when you left it
    Sims 3- Sims had an entire world to roam around in

Sims 2- Everything had preset colours
    Sims 3- You could decorate everything exactly the way you wanted to

Sims 2- Sims put their babies on the floor all the time
    Sims 3- Sims always put their little ones in their crib, no matter what

In many fields Sims 3 did improve.
    Also, concerning 'toddlers can barely do anything': add Generations to your collection and you'll be surprised.

Your TS3 Sims always put the baby on the cribs? My Sims always put the baby on the floor if the crib wasn't nearby. It used to irritate me so much. LOL
    Yes, they do ;) I did a test a while ago. I was curious what sims in 3 actually do with their baby's when you leave them to it (something I practically never do). Are they really the insensitive parents that drop their baby's all over the place to do something else?

1. In the middle of the night some mysterious force takes baby Cameron out of her crib and puts her on the floor of the living room.
    2. A few sim hours later mum and dad wake up.

Baby_S3_zpsuuwdifsp.png

3. They go downstairs...
    4. ... as it turns out both planning to pick up little Cameron. Daddy wins this race...

5. ... and takes his baby daughter upstairs...
    6. ... to put her into her bed.

Baby_S3_2_zpsgnppcqwt.png

7. I decide to do another test: let's take dad and a suddenly very hungry Cameron (testingcheats) to the kitchen. Doing absolutely nothing (me) dad spontaneously starts feeding her (the yellow plumbbob is hers).
    8. When she's satiated he leaves the kitchen with her in his arms, at this point very hungry himself (I didn't intervene, this was a spontaneous appetite after a good night's sleep).

9. Looking at his plans for this moment, we can see that he's going to take something from the fridge, but he's still holding the baby. What will he do; drop her somewhere on the floor...?
    10. The suspense...

Baby_S3_3_zpsuoolqs8m.png

11. And there he is! (blast of trumpets)
    12. After which he goes downstairs again to enjoy a well deserved breakfast.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JeromeoJeromeo Posts: 1 New Member
    I can really get into 3 and play it for hours, 4 never really got me. The performance is much better in 4, but loading screens are everywhere and it's a chore to go anywhere because of it. Sims 3 is always kinda laggy, atleast to me and my PC is pretty good. Sims 4 improved upon some things and went a step back with certain other things. One step forward and two steps back.

The gameplay is great in both though, but I like the open world and freedom of Sims 3. And I'm not really a fan of all the skills in Sims 4, seems like pretty much everything has a skill.
  • Options
    BLAMSARTBLAMSART Posts: 464 Member
    I played the 48 hr demo and ended up not buying TS4 >.>
    I mean the game is good. It's got great graphics, fast loading times, cool interactions! It's a good game! ....just not for people who know TS3 -_-
    It feels a little bit like they jumped back down to TS2 with some parts you know? For one the lack of open worlds, and the 'baby stays in crib'. I think what annoyed me the most was the lack of toddlers and how teens seriously look like adults just a little bit shorter. At least in TS3 the teens looked...I dunno a little chubbier? When they grew up, they actually looked liked they're features had changed a bit!
    And sure making houses now is super easy, but the rate of individuality here's gone down compared to TS3. You've got a specific limited set of colors to choose from. I spent about one hour in CAS in TS4 whilst the first time I played TS3 I ended up customizing for hours.
    TS4 is a good game, but it seems limited? And not because of the expansion packs, I'm comparing both base games here. TS4 just seems a lot more restricted creative wise.
    Light the Way to Heaven
    zEadMCi.png
  • Options
    LandorienLandorien Posts: 44 Member
    I played TS4 for about a week, at release, and haven't touched it since. I just can't get into it for some reasons. A painter or writer is not a 9 to 5 job at the office. Then there's the lack of open world and story progression. I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather have one long loading screen and be done with it rather than loading screens everywhere. My loading screen in TS3 is about a minute long, maybe less but then again I don't play TS3 on a toaster.
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I dont know that its so much a VS thing for me, but I definitely prefer TS3. I gave a good... few months to TS4 and it was only coming back to TS3 that I realized how much I liked it better. I prefer the look I can get from TS3- CAS, Open World, CC, mods, gameplay, options, customization.

IMO the customization of TS3 is better. You can play it cartoony, or you can CC it to be more realistic. TS4 has a specific look, and while there is tons of CC out there the world seems to cater to a more cartoony look. GREAT if that's what you like, but its not my preference. I also like that I don't have to DL 100 CC hair colours in TS3. Colour wheel alone is worth it to me, for eyes, hair, makeup and OPACITY. Seriously. TS4 is a downgrade when it comes to that stuff. Yes it smoother, and there are portions of it that I prefer (categories for clothes/changing outfits randomly/categories and search in BUY mode... ease of DL new sims/lots).

I'm all in TS3. I won't even buy an EP for TS4 at this point because I've been pretty let down by the general gameplay in TS4. Its not ideal, I wish it was the game that I was hoping for. Alas it is not.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    Wolves_WeirdmaggedonWolves_Weirdmaggedon Posts: 18 New Member
    It's a hard decision, but I'd say Sims 3 for now. I think the expansion packs are all amazing, despite being a little overpriced in most cases; Sims 4 doesn't have many expansion packs as of now, but I do like the base features better. So... it's hard to call, but Sims 3.
  • Options
    FreakiiUnicornFreakiiUnicorn Posts: 33 Member
    I have mixed opinions on both I guess? In some respects I prefer sims 4 to 3 because it loads faster, and I find cas a lot more quick,easy and not as laggy. However I also really like sims 3 because of it's open word and the fact that it's got loads of things to do. But Sims 4 is still new so I suppose we'll have to wait and see what it turns out like.
  • Options
    DLatriceDLatrice Posts: 71 Member
    I just started playing Sims 3 with 1 EP and 1 SP so I feel I can compare the two (I have 1 EP and 1 SP for Sims 4 as well).
    Sims 3 does look more realistic but I just prefer the cartoon-y look of Sims 4. Everything is so vibrant and the sims are so animated. Can't wait for seasons. And Sims 4 CAS? Forget about it! But the Sims 3 color wheel is everything, though. For some reason, I find that Sims 3 holds my attention more, I don't know why. And I don't mind the Sims 4 loading screens because I never played Sims 3 until recently so loading screens were all I knew.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    > @DLatrice said:
    > I just started playing Sims 3 with 1 EP and 1 SP so I feel I can compare the two (I have 1 EP and 1 SP for Sims 4 as well).
    > Sims 3 does look more realistic but I just prefer the cartoon-y look of Sims 4. Everything is so vibrant and the sims are so animated. Can't wait for seasons. And Sims 4 CAS? Forget about it! But the Sims 3 color wheel is everything, though. For some reason, I find that Sims 3 holds my attention more, I don't know why. And I don't mind the Sims 4 loading screens because I never played Sims 3 until recently so loading screens were all I knew.

I played TS2 before TS3 and hated the loading screens so TS3 seemed amazing! I tried TS4 but the loading screens were very annoying when I was used to my Sim just going where ever I wanted them to.
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    DLatriceDLatrice Posts: 71 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    I played TS2 before TS3 and hated the loading screens so TS3 seemed amazing! I tried TS4 but the loading screens were very annoying when I was used to my Sim just going where ever I wanted them to.
    Makes sense. I skipped Sims 3 because my computer at the time couldn't handle it, but now I have one that can.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I like sims4 for building, though I miss the colour wheel and editing materials ect. But these isn't enough to do in sims4 and no toddlers, so I've gone back to sims3 and this time I'm going to play everything, one at a time, the first is The explorer aspiration, then maybe the collector and go on from there. So Sims 3 wins for me, I like to be busy in my game and sims3 does that for me.
  • Options
    CowgirlKCowgirlK Posts: 9 New Member
    I love the Sims 4 for building but that's about it. It's so hard to just do regular game play in it and gets boring quick. I didn't play much beyond 5 hours and got bored. I don't have an EP for it yet, I hope to get one eventually. I forever will be a Sims 3 fan. I currently don't have a computer that will run the Sims 4 so I borrowed a family members computer to play it for now.

I have already re-installed the Sims 3 and all my expansion packs which was, World Adventures, Pets, University, Island Paradise (Wish they would fix the major glitch), and Generations, on my previous computer and already played it for 7 hours in one sitting. I plan on doing another legacy/generation with the Sims 3 and not even attempting to do one with the Sims 4. I plan on collecting all the expansion packs!

If you could combine the Sims 4 building, with the Sims 3 gameplay, you'd have an amazing game! I just hope they fix some things with the Sims 4 to make it more interesting.

Sims 3 Forever!
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    CowgirlK wrote: »
    I love the Sims 4 for building but that's about it. It's so hard to just do regular game play in it and gets boring quick. I didn't play much beyond 5 hours and got bored. I don't have an EP for it yet, I hope to get one eventually. I forever will be a Sims 3 fan. I currently don't have a computer that will run the Sims 4 so I borrowed a family members computer to play it for now.

I have already re-installed the Sims 3 and all my expansion packs which was, World Adventures, Pets, University, Island Paradise (Wish they would fix the major glitch), and Generations, on my previous computer and already played it for 7 hours in one sitting. I plan on doing another legacy/generation with the Sims 3 and not even attempting to do one with the Sims 4. I plan on collecting all the expansion packs!

If you could combine the Sims 4 building, with the Sims 3 gameplay, you'd have an amazing game! I just hope they fix some things with the Sims 4 to make it more interesting.

Sims 3 Forever!
    That's in my signature.
  • Options
    misssimmer123misssimmer123 Posts: 17 Member
    I am really enjoying TS4 at the moment, however I have not been able to play TS3 for a while and I do wonder if I went on it again could i go back to TS4? TS4 is realistically missing a lot. I have got over the fact that there aren't any toddlers and enjoy playing the children.. but that was a big thing for me at the time, as it was a whole life stage. I feel like there aren't so many things to do in the community with TS4 and the neighborhoods are really limited with the space. I think what I miss most is the open world. Saying all of this, I think I'm a little addicted to TS4 whilst having my time off work!
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited January 2016
    I tried to like TS4, but I just can't get into it. I tried playing single households, a family, and a group of 6 friends, and each time either something would happen to annoy me or I just couldn't bring myself to even open up the game.

The multitasking is cool, but it makes the sims do strange things beyond my control. Not to mention that it adds a layer of complexity to the game that the developers mostly try to avoid, and ends up being the excuse for why we don't get lounge chairs or toddlers. Too hard, too expensive.

I do like a lot of the animations they added to the sims, except the ones that are too cartoony for me. I hope they can reuse some of the animations in the next game but tone them down quite a bit. I also highly dislike the emotions system because emotions should be simulated between sims to make their relationships feel more believable. Instead, emotions are caused by objects and interactions and broadcast out to everything (which is why sims in a flirty mood will act flirty with kids who are also in the vicinity) and are really supposed to be something that the player manipulates to develop their sims' skills, level up, and unlock hidden content. I generally ignore this part of the game (as do many people who play), but it doesn't change the fact that the emotions aren't working like they should in a simulation game because of it. And of course this brings up all the directed goal play in the game, which is a terrible idea for a game known for its sandbox. Add to this the tiny, tiny neighborhoods that are mostly fake, and the game feels like the Truman Show. I guess when you add all these things up, it comes out to not be a game I enjoy playing and it's a shame because this is the first Sims game I have ever disliked.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    908Billy908Billy Posts: 23 Member
    I only played the 48 hour demo of Sims 4, and I watch Clint Basinger's (Lazy Game Reviews) on Youtube for all of his Sims reviews - they're hilarious and informative. I liked the smoothness of Sims 4; it seemed very polished with its animations and even the details on the graphics. Sims 3 has a more realistic look overall (still think Sims 4 has a Play-Doh polish to it), but the details in the faces of Sims 4 is definitely better. The emotions seemed to add a layer of gameplay which was nice, but unfortunately not enough. They actually got annoying to an extent, constantly flipping back and forth. The build mode I didn't get to spend too much time with, but I love the time-efficient modifications finally added in, like moving a whole room. I didn't like that many objects required unlocking through careers. I also didn't like the absence of CaSt, but for the most part the patterns available sufficed. More importantly, I didn't like the Sims being limited to 3 traits compared to Sims 3's 5. Then there's the whole Open World thing; the obvious plus is better lots that are actually fully loaded and occupied, but it does take away from what we got used to with Sims 3.

Overall, right now, Sims 3 is better, but it's also fully expanded. The Sims 4's two main expansions had neat concepts, but they already are buggy. Get To Work's running your own business feature seems to not work very well, with Sims just standing stuck or doing mindless actions unrelated to the job. Get Together's custom clubs are cool, but essentially it's just public chaos and there's not much else there. With the recent Origin Holiday Sale, I finally got some more Sims 3 expansions and have been enjoying that game.

Generations and the base game provide a lot already. I think the Sims 3 gardening, cooking, fishing, and collecting (all base game stuff) are very well put together and take time to fully flesh out. With Generations added on, it can make legacy households a lot of fun, and kid Sims are finally fun to play with! Normally I reduce childhood and below to the very minimum age length, but Generations makes me bump it up (should've been a base game feature, but still).

Seasons is fantastic and adds so much to the game, especially if you're playing with a decent sized family. Aliens are an okay occult that can be fun to goof around with.

University Life offers a fun, time consuming addition as well as some great objects; however, I wish there was a way to turn off social groups. It's annoying how playing a computer game makes you a nerd as you are just trying to raise Fun, or lighting a bonfire suddenly makes you a super jock. PlantSims are cool in that they are never hungry or have to go to the bathroom, and it's fun to make a Science-centered family obsessed with gardening and growing PlantSims.

Late Night has great clothing and an awesome Edit Town concept of multiple venues - sadly, they are never populated; the band idea is awesome too, but again, never works and they play two songs only. The city was a great addition, as well as elevators. Vampires....meh.

Island Paradise is absolutely amazing, but AGAIN, is full of problems. This pack truly excited me like I was playing The Sims for the first time again because I love the vacation theme and boats! Scuba diving (though it is pretty bland after about an hour) is a great addition, and managing a resort is awesome. It really blows that the game is a buggy mess that requires unofficial mods to play, and that after a few hours there isn't much more to do. But, the idea is fantastic and I hope Sims 4 does it better - although I don't know how they can without open world for boating.

I haven't bought the other EPs, and definitely none of the money-grabbing stuff packs. But, basically, there are a few essentials The Sims 4 needs to add in, and it would be nice if they add in new ideas that hold our attention. The Sims 3 is the better game as of now I think, and I'm pretty sure even at its base launch it had more on offer than The Sims 4. The Sims 4 took away Open World (Sims 3's selling point, next to traits) and so many basic elements, and offered less than The Sims 2 base game really, creating a really lackluster introduction to the new generation. It has great potential and is getting better, but has a long way to go and really should've provided more at launch, like a certain age group and form of aquatic entertainment being two glaring mistakes from the start.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    > @mommavi1181 said:
    > I play them both, but enjoy Sims 3 more overall just because it has so much more to it. Seasons is key for me, I really enjoy the weather and celebrating the holidays. Hopefully Sims 4 will have Seasons soon, and for me that will be a huge upgrade for the game. Also I love the open world of Sims 3, and I am pretty sure Sims 4 will never have that. I find myself not exploring as much in Sims 4 because it is easier to just stay at my home lot. Even as Sims 4 comes out with more expansions I will still play Sims 3.
    >
    > Now with Sims 4 I do love the multi-tasking and how routing is much better (sims don't get stuck all the time). I still have a lot to explore and discover with the game so I am not bored with it yet...I do worry though that it won't hold my attention like the Sims 3 does once I feel I have tried everything the game has to offer. With Sims 3 it seems there is always something I still haven't done.

Routing is huge! Sims 3 has so many technical issues that are hard to overlook. I love how fluid Sims 4 feels, but overall Sims 3 has much more to offer, at this point. Who knows what the future will bring!
  • Options
    Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    Sims 3 hands down! Even the base game, no mods, no CC, no expansions is far better, in my opinion, than TS4. I was bored within the first hour with TS4 wereas I was up for 24 hours when TS3 came out. Not meaning to hate on those whom like TS4, but I do not see myself go back any time soon.
  • Options
    PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    My 27 year old Daughter plays and Loves Sims 4 . She is coming from Playing Sims on her Play station. To me Sims 4 is much like The Sims for the Game console..So she is comfortable playing and loves it...
  • Options
    mackenziemills1mackenziemills1 Posts: 13 New Member
    Honestly, I don't understand people who are saying "don't compare the two games (TS3vs.TS4)" if we rewind back to when TS3 had the same amount of expansions as TS4, TS3 is way better! With The Sims 3, the first expansion pack was World Adventures. I had a blast with those 2 games. I even had a blast with the base game. Sims 4 cannot hold my attention. Played it a few times, cant get into it. Mainly because the loading screen is taking us back to 04' TS2. Games are supposed to progress- TS2 was a huge progression of TS1, as TS3 was a major upgrade of TS2. So if were comparing base games, the sims 3 is the best. Hope Sims 4 gets an open world, and toddlers. I might just play then.
  • Options
    CatKittyFish77CatKittyFish77 Posts: 33 Member
    Ive played the demo for Sims 4 and I can tell you that it just doesnt work for me. Im on a tight income, so spending the money to actully get the whole game is just not an option, at this time, for me. But even after playing the demo, Im just not sold on it. So Im sticking to Sims 3 myself
  • Options
    DemiDemi Posts: 49 Member
    I go back an forth between the two. But The Sims 3, since it has expansions. Base game wise, I'd say The Sims 4.