The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No disk in the box. DL Code only.

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    tiagomoucho3tiagomoucho3 Posts: 123 Member
    I like the DVD version because I like to collect them. I don't want just a case with a paper in it... I want my DVD! I'm waiting for the 10th because I live in Portugal and I still have hope that I can find one with the physical copy of the game here *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Nicwebb82 wrote: »
    Because they want everything tied I to origin.

The discs are also tied to Origin.

Some countries have disc, some have just download key. It's not been explained why those choices have been made.

What happens if Origin closes one day? Does that mean we wouldn't have access to our games?

Maybe. Or they might Do The Right Thing and code the games to make them independent of Origin. Pretty sure there's precedent for that in the game industry, though I can't recall details. Plus I'm going to go play now instead of look the precedent up :)

They might just give us the independent from internet origin installer and the offline version of it so we can keep the games. Prob would accept the codes offline and that is it.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't even have a dvd drive on their computer? I couldn't be bothered to spend money on it.

Nope, that's pretty normal for new laptops. My son just built a new desktop and didn't bother getting a DVD drive for it yet (though he'll probably add one eventually). The few older not-downloadable things he had to reinstall, we just threw on my DVD drive and transferred to a USB key.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    I've found the Discs to be pretty useless, at least for online players since the Disc is really just there as a second option for how to download the game, but I think offline players could use the discs and I hope no offline player bought the EP hoping for a disc download :c

I think EA is doing this to prevent people from borrowing each other's Packs, my friends would just borrow my Base Game, Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs for The Sims 3 and buy the latest Pack so they could play only needing that one disc they have.

Offline players can't use the disc alone: the game needs Origin to see it before you can set it to be played offline. And DVDs don't make the game more sharable, either, for the same reason: it's tied to an Origin account either way.

Personally? I suspect that disc sales are just that low in some markets that the number-crunchers said forget it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    Stopped pirating hasn't it? Pirated copies of Sims 4 go haywire and pixilated after a while.

As far as EA concerned they are not going to change back to disk unless they have to.
  • Options
    NauzhrorNauzhror Posts: 82 Member
    > @Nicwebb82 said:
    > luthienrising wrote: »
    >
    > Nicwebb82 wrote: »
    >
    > Because they want everything tied I to origin.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The discs are also tied to Origin.
    >
    > Some countries have disc, some have just download key. It's not been explained why those choices have been made.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What happens if Origin closes one day? Does that mean we wouldn't have access to our games?

Origin is Electronic Art's PC gaming platform for the most part. Electronic Arts is not going out of business any time soon. They're the largest name in gaming. The company is worth over six billion dollars. The company was founded in 1982, and is only getting bigger. You might as well ask what will happen to your computer when Microsoft goes under, or all of your emails you have saved on a gmail account when Google does under.
  • Options
    Candyr277Candyr277 Posts: 623 Member
    The most obvious reasoning is that the EP costs less to distribute digitally as opposed to a physical disc. Why pay to manufacture the disc and sell that the same cost as a digital version when the disc version eats into the profit margin? Similarly this is part of the reasoning for some items being distributed purely through Origin. Why pay a retailer a cut when you can produce and distribute yourself? This is smart way of doing business in the business world.
    "The great will not be constrained by the small." - BioShock

Unknown.jpeg

• Options
    Candyr277 wrote: »
    The most obvious reasoning is that the EP costs less to distribute digitally as opposed to a physical disc. Why pay to manufacture the disc and sell that the same cost as a digital version when the disc version eats into the profit margin? Similarly this is part of the reasoning for some items being distributed purely through Origin. Why pay a retailer a cut when you can produce and distribute yourself? This is smart way of doing business in the business world.

They're still selling download codes in boxes through retailers; that's a retailer cut. The cut in production costs is in producing discs and separate boxes, and shipping and tracking two different products, not one. Which makes it particularly interesting that that seems to be okay in some markets, not others.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Yea I watching a Gaming "newscast" on YouTube called The Patch, and they were predicting that probably by the end of next year no one will be selling discs (at least in the US) it'll all be download only.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    I think it's download only in Canada, too. So far that's what I see.
    I guess I'll find out this afternoon when I go out. :)... and get the game! *controls breathing*
  • Options
    I guess I'll find out this afternoon when I go out. :)... and get the game! *controls breathing*

None of the Canadian online retailers are selling disc, FYI.
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member

None of the Canadian online retailers are selling disc, FYI.
    I kind of thought so, but thanks, @luthienrising ... It doesn't matter to me. I am so excited to get that new Windenburg I feel like a kid!
  • Options

They're still selling download codes in boxes through retailers; that's a retailer cut. The cut in production costs is in producing discs and separate boxes, and shipping and tracking two different products, not one. Which makes it particularly interesting that that seems to be okay in some markets, not others.

The retailer cut for the boxes is the trade off they are making at this time since the push to go all digital at once would cause too great of an outcry from the community - much like any other change they ever try to make. While you're paying to make a box, you're still not paying for a disc. So paying $1.50 in manufacturing costs instead of $2.00 adds up to a lot when you're producing millions of product. In due time games will go all digital. I remember people flipping out at Microsoft years ago when they wanted to do this and now look where we all are? Think it won't happen? Look at music. While CDs are still produced and they do sell, digital is where its at. The margins are far better without a physical product to offload.

Discs in some countries and not others are due to various factors such as the costs of doing business in said country. So one country may not allow digital only distribution on entertainment such as games, music and movies etc.

Unknown.jpeg

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

The retailer cut for the boxes is the trade off they are making at this time since the push to go all digital at once would cause too great of an outcry from the community - much like any other change they ever try to make. While you're paying to make a box, you're still not paying for a disc. So paying $1.50 in manufacturing costs instead of $2.00 adds up to a lot when you're producing millions of product. In due time games will go all digital. I remember people flipping out at Microsoft years ago when they wanted to do this and now look where we all are? Think it won't happen? Look at music. While CDs are still produced and they do sell, digital is where its at. The margins are far better without a physical product to offload.

Discs in some countries and not others are due to various factors such as the costs of doing business in said country. So one country may not allow digital only distribution on entertainment such as games, music and movies etc.

What I thought was crazy is that some artists are putting their music on vinyls. I was like "What?!" haha
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,567 Member
    op you might have to go digital and buy true origin if you went the ep
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Nicwebb82Nicwebb82 Posts: 447 Member
    I wasn't talking about EA closing down. I was talking about Origin.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    What happens if Origin closes one day? Does that mean we wouldn't have access to our games?
    At first nothing would happen. (And I guess I wouldn't even notice if Origin was gone from the I-Net, because it's strictly either The Sims 4 or the Internet for me, not both at the same time in case of a rogue/unwanted update trying to sneak on my harddrive). Anyway, you'd still have the Origin software on your computer that launches the game in offline mode. As long as that computer remains in your posession and no gamebreaking glitchs occur you can play. Of course that's easier for those who are on easily storeable laptops than for desktop users.

I stopped reading here...

So what happens when I no longer have the same PC and want to reinstall the game on a new machine? I've installed the Sims 2 on at least 6 computers and 4 windows versions in the 11 years that I've owned it. Same with SimCity 4 and many, many other games.

If Origin stops being a thing or EA goes out of business tomorrow, I can still install my Sims 2 games and play just like it's the first time. That's absolutely not the case with the new Origin digital downloads, I don't even think there's a way to back up installation files or anything else - please someone correct me if I'm wrong, it would be very helpful to know - that would let me reinstall without EA's servers. That's unacceptable to me.
  • Options
    Doubt you have much to worry about in the foreseeable future as EA is in a very healthy financial state. Even if they shut their doors in 30-50 years, it is unlikely you'll be wanting to boot up The Sims 2. I would be more concerned that there would be no OS to support the current selection of games in the next 10 years.

Unknown.jpeg

• Options
    BruceSF55BruceSF55 Posts: 135 Member
    edited December 2015
    I canceled my amazon pre-order because of this....only to find out that everywhere wasn't a disc version. I wish I had known this.

My point exactly. They should have made it well known how the software was going to be delivered.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    Doubt you have much to worry about in the foreseeable future as EA is in a very healthy financial state. Even if they shut their doors in 30-50 years, it is unlikely you'll be wanting to boot up The Sims 2. I would be more concerned that there would be no OS to support the current selection of games in the next 10 years.

You can virtualize an OS environment with no problems now and it's only going to get easier in the future as hardware keeps getting better, so it's not going to be a problem to boot up the Sims 2. If it doesn't integrate into Windows 15.6, you can still play it on a vm that's running windows 15.5.

I am able to do that for the foreseeable future because the Sims 2 has no online requirement. My setup.exe is backed up on a usb hard drive, which I was able to do because I had installation disks themselves and not some digital download where the setup files are kept on a server that can be shutdown when EA wants to quit supporting Origin in favor of their next game client and wishes players would just move on to the new version already.
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    If Origin stops being a thing, you'll just have to buy whatever EA's new thing is.... which is exactly what they want.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell