Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it safe to give NPC's a makeover?

Is it safe to take an NPC's or service sim into CAS and not only change their outfit but also their physical appearance?

I have changed their clothes before, but not their faces and stuff.
cUrfGkA.gif

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yes. I do this all the time and it's never caused a problem.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I've done it many times, and had no problems. I've even edited their pudding faces, and changed their ages as well.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    yes..I do it all the time
    giphy.gif

• Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I do it constantly! :) Never had an issue.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Here are the two children who deliver the newspapers in my town.
    I change everyone I didn't create, I haven't had a problem as of yet! :)

Screenshot-33_zpswtqjl4hd.jpg
    The kid in the dragon costume.

Screenshot-19_zpsbymlbzdq.jpg

For these two I just changed their outfits. Other sims I have changed, I have changed everything including their life state. I made one of the babysitters a fairy and renamed her Tinka.
  • Options
    alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    I've read it can cause problems if you edit sims that were already installed with worlds, i'm not sure if it's true though, I don't know why it can cause problems but you probably shouldn't edit premade sims.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Cororon wrote: »
    Is it safe to take an NPC's or service sim into CAS and not only change their outfit but also their physical appearance?

I have changed their clothes before, but not their faces and stuff.

I've even done that to the alien household sims (via NRaas MasterController). So far, no problems. Well, except for better looking sims.
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Thanks everyone! :)

I've read it can cause problems if you edit sims that were already installed with worlds, i'm not sure if it's true though, I don't know why it can cause problems but you probably shouldn't edit premade sims.

I read that something similar long ago, but that was about a buggy family in one of the early EA worlds.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member

Changing a sim won't cause any issues. I've been doing shortly after TS3 came out. The thing that will cause problems is when you delete a sim who is in town, never ever want to do this. I learned this the hard way.

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I so constantly do it because they usually are wearing Katy Perry Sweet Treats outfits. LOL
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    How does one make-over and NPC? Make them a part of the family?
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    @Okblondee7 You can use testingcheatsenabled true and the shift click on the sim you want to change and choose "edit in CAS" or whatever it says. I constantly do it to townies and NPC's. I just did it to my butler, and the one previously. Also if I see a townie that is vanilla I will do it immediately. Can't have those vanilla genetics getting into the town. lol
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @2GiaHypothesis, I did not know this! Than you! Great idea!

So many Sims; so little time. :)

Edit: Typo
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Sorry, I've heard this as well but it is not correct. It's an urban legend leftover from TS2.

You can even get rid of all pre-made sims entirely, as long as you do it correctly. Without mods, evict them from their houses from within Edit Town and hope they wander away. With mods, NRaas MC has a Total Annihilation function that doesn't kill sims, it arranges it as if they never existed in the first place. Overwatch and ErrorTrap will clean up any residual data they leave behind at the next startup. Some players clear out entire towns this way before adding their own sims into them.

The mistake some players make is to delete sims (of any kind) using Testingcheatsenabled and a shift-click. That can cause problems and game corruption because it deletes the sims' bodies without actually deleting the sims and their data.

Certainly an EA world will progress differently with its pre-made sims missing, most notably the descendants of the town's founders/long-running families with rich history. But it won't be damaged just because they aren't there or you have edited them in CAS.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    edited November 2015
    If you have Supernatural, you can even customize the color of Bonehildas outfit (do not change clothes) but it won't stick. Once she goes back to her coffin her outfit will reset.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    @Okblondee7 , if you have NRaas MasterController, click on the sim>NRaas>MasterController>Stylist for changing hair and clothing. For changing looks, NRaas>MasterController>Advanced>Edit in CAS. If you want to edit a bunch of NPCs, use City Hall or any computer>NRaas>MasterController>Sim>Stylist>select the filters you want>select the individual sims. MC will pull each sim into it's Stylist function one by one allowing you to change many NPCs in one session.
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    I do that all the time! But the male maid in Sunset Valley is so hot. You could probably just change his hairstyle and facial hair but he is good enough.
  • Options
    @TreyNutz, thank you! I will try this!

When I have a single sim who wants to marry, I go to edit town and pick any single guy and merge him with the household. Saves a lot of time, but I always have to go into CAS to 'fix him up'.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    One caveat for using Testingcheatsenabled true / Shift+click to edit NPCs - if you do this to pets, and age them from juvenile to adult (kitten to cat, foal to horse, etc.) you will get an extremely disconcerting graphical glitch. Use the "trigger age transition" option instead.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Sorry, I've heard this as well but it is not correct. It's an urban legend leftover from TS2.

You can even get rid of all pre-made sims entirely, as long as you do it correctly. Without mods, evict them from their houses from within Edit Town and hope they wander away. With mods, NRaas MC has a Total Annihilation function that doesn't kill sims, it arranges it as if they never existed in the first place. Overwatch and ErrorTrap will clean up any residual data they leave behind at the next startup. Some players clear out entire towns this way before adding their own sims into them.

The mistake some players make is to delete sims (of any kind) using Testingcheatsenabled and a shift-click. That can cause problems and game corruption because it deletes the sims' bodies without actually deleting the sims and their data.

Certainly an EA world will progress differently with its pre-made sims missing, most notably the descendants of the town's founders/long-running families with rich history. But it won't be damaged just because they aren't there or you have edited them in CAS.

Oops! I object delete Sims all the time, I will stop doing that. Usually when I start a new town I bulldozer all the houses and "move out with house" is this a good way to get rid of both the Sims and house that are on that lot or should I evict them then bulldozer the then empty house? Also, if I do happen to spot a duplicate sim running around can I give him/her a complete makeover safely?
  • Options
    Bulldozing houses when sims are inside I believe makes them homeless, it doesn't delete them. I never do it this way, but it doesn't sound unsafe. The sims might find new houses to live in on their own, though.

As for the duplicate sim, it depends on whether they are truly a duplicate with the same relationships and history (which can cause issues) or a total stranger who just happens to look like another sim, as in they picked up the same genetics somehow. I would recommend Overwatch and ErrorTrap to resolve the duplicates automatically when it notices them. Or getting rid of them one way or another (MC Total Annihilation for example) after saving first just to make sure you don't end up getting rid of both sims when that was unintended.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    @igazor - Could you explain why sometimes the Stylist and Edit in CAS options are not available? I am currently playing a sim who has traveled to the future. He is at the base camp. This will be the first time I have played the game in the future with the traveler mod installed. I can already see the difference in the game by the nature of the tourists being generated. As is my usual pet peeve given the idiosyncratic selection of game and store content that I have a female tourist walked into the base camp wearing a University college outfit and Star Wars Storm Trooper combat boots. I clicked on the tourist to take her into Stylist but the option was not available and neither was Edit in CAS under Sim>Advanced.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    @igazor - Could you explain why sometimes the Stylist and Edit in CAS options are not available? I am currently playing a sim who has traveled to the future. He is at the base camp. This will be the first time I have played the game in the future with the traveler mod installed. I can already see the difference in the game by the nature of the tourists being generated. As is my usual pet peeve given the idiosyncratic selection of game and store content that I have a female tourist walked into the base camp wearing a University college outfit and Star Wars Storm Trooper combat boots. I clicked on the tourist to take her into Stylist but the option was not available and neither was Edit in CAS under Sim>Advanced.
    Sims who show up as tourists, explorers, or out of town visitors upon demand are what is called Mini-Sims. They are scaled down representations, not the full versions of themselves that exist back in their homeworld. There are limited things you can do with Mini-Sims. One of them is that you cannot make them active. Another is that you cannot bring them into CAS or any subset of it (Stylist). They tend to arrive with the clothes on their back and nothing else, the rest of their real wardrobe is back home. The game will generate temporary and sometimes silly looking outfits for them as needed while they are visiting, but there isn't much that can be done about that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Bulldozing houses when sims are inside I believe makes them homeless, it doesn't delete them. I never do it this way, but it doesn't sound unsafe. The sims might find new houses to live in on their own, though.

As for the duplicate sim, it depends on whether they are truly a duplicate with the same relationships and history (which can cause issues) or a total stranger who just happens to look like another sim, as in they picked up the same genetics somehow. I would recommend Overwatch and ErrorTrap to resolve the duplicates automatically when it notices them. Or getting rid of them one way or another (MC Total Annihilation for example) after saving first just to make sure you don't end up getting rid of both sims when that was unintended.

They are probably homeless versions of the Sims I kicked out of their houses, for example in one save I had my Jared Frio who I put into the town after I had moved out the Jared Frio who always comes with the town. My Jared and Connor have a huge house that I saved with them in the library. I was checking Jared's friend list one day and noticed he was friends with his boss....Jared Frio (I didn't pay attention to who his boss was at first). I had my Jared invite him out twice and he never showed leading me to believe he was homeless. These duplicates always have names of the townies I moved out and look exactly like the townies, so not some random strangers. In town I decide to keep all the townies this never happens. One really fun example of this happening was I deleted most houses but decided to keep the Lagerak family for one reason or another but moved them into another house so their house stood empty, I noticed one day it said Wolff for that household so I went into edit town to change households to see who was there, the Wolffs, Altos and McIrish families were all living there, these were all families I had booted at the beginning of the game (bulldozer and move out with house), and the ones I had put in as replacements were all still happily tucked into their houses. Bizarre!
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I can't play the game without editing sims.
    I do it all the time and I've been doing some stuff to help me do it faster.