Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Give the 'challenges' a break

First off I know I don't speak for everyone here. I'm not claiming too but I have noticed some people also feel the way I do.

It's really angering me how easily pleased they must think we are. It's like 'here have this little game to occupy your time'. The challenges are garbage and they are clearly just a distraction from the fact that the game is actually boring as all plum. I see it as no different than jangling keys in front of a bored baby.

The bigger reason is this; Part of the reason I loved the Sims was because unlike other games it felt personal and closed off. An online experience is everything I don't want the Sims to be and these 'challenges' and constantly monitoring and recording our gaming habits for their genius telemetry, it feels invasive. Especially when they use the findings against us to make their bad decisions seem like it's somehow our fault. I know there is an option to opt out of the online stuff but this sort of gimmick is designed to keep us logged in, being watched. I really hate the direction the game has gone.

If there's one thing I hate most in Sims games it's pressure to do something. The game should be about total freedom and creativity to make of it what you will. The heavy promotion of gimmicky challenges and events coupled with the hashtag twitter support for it makes this game feel alien to me.

Maybe some people like this new direction but I just don't see this as true Sims game.

Comments

• Options
    S1MSKA1S1MSKA1 Posts: 235 Member
    Stop telling people what to do. Nobody cares if you don't like challenges. Bye.
    WE WANT KOI PONDS FOR THE SIMS 4!
    OMG KOI PONDS!!!!
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    The thing with the challanges is you don't have to participate and you will still receive the prizes. Seems to me they did similar things in ts3 .
  • Options
    Sims3ambitionsSims3ambitions Posts: 181 Member
    I think the challenges are supposed to bring us closer together as a community, like working together to get some fun new items in game. There's only been 3 as far as I'm aware, so its not like they're being shoved down our throats. Anyway I like them. :)
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    S1MSKA1 wrote: »

When did I tell anyone what to do? I speak for myself and those who might feel the same way. Bye.

*inb4 you come back right away with another intelligent rebuttal*
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    edited October 2015

I must say that you were incredibly rude to Crackfox. I agree with her completely, and she is entitled to her opinion. If you don't agree with her just move on, no need to comment. Besides if you read the post Crackfox was not telling people what to do. Did you anywhere in the op see those words?

Maybe you need to learn reading comprehension or just not comment.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited October 2015
    We've had what, 3 challenges?

Woohoo Challenge
    Egg Hunt (and you could still unlock the prize with a cheat code)
    Trick or Treat Challenge

It's just something fun, and totally optional -- I actually miss the eggs as they made great targets for my Scientist Sim's Transform Ray...

If they were doing these challenges every month, or limiting the free stuff to those who participated, then maybe I'd say they need to lay off a bit. But it's just something to drum up interest in Spooky Stuff (since you'll be able to Trick or Treat year round with that pack) while giving us some free content. (I do hope we'll get both sets available some day -- I like the lion door and the gummy fish, but I prefer the more rustic looking chest.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    Pretty sure the challenges are just so that they can collect data when people enable the option. I don't really care for these events myself, but I like free stuff so I'll take it. lol I don't have to participate and I still benefit.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2015
    The challenges just remind me of Gaiaonline events. XD But eh, I just figure they are there to gather telemetry and to keep people engaged in the game. I don't care for them either.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    I'm actually excited for this new challenge, to see what we wind up with. I also enjoyed the Easter egg hunt. (Wasn't around when the woohoo challenge happened.) So... I enjoy and would like to see them continue.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I kinda like the challenges. From the ones we've had this is potentially the most exciting one, because there's the option to team up and a light hearted competition sounds like something I could use right now. I know this isn't going to fix any issues with the game, it's just for entertainment. I don't see much pressure there personally as you will get prizes anyway and if being realistic your chances to individually make a difference in this kind of challenge are rather slim, so it doesn't really matter if you'll rather skip doing it :smile:
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    I like these special events, they're fun.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    It might show how Simmers really do love online game play! Woot for teaming up to do things in game together. Next thing- Showtime stuff with a Sharing twist. . . and Telemetry (which is the fun buzz word around TS4). :mrgreen:
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    Pretty sure the challenges are just so that they can collect data when people enable the option. I don't really care for these events myself, but I like free stuff so I'll take it. lol I don't have to participate and I still benefit.

This! They probably just want to collect some more data for some PR event or something.

Also, these challenges remind me of mobile games, where they program temporary content and events to draw players back to the game so they will spend more money. That's what they're probably really intended for.

The people in charge have called this game a "live service". The whole concept of running this game as a "live service" is exactly the phrase used in mobile gaming, where they offer new content and events on an ongoing basis.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    WillowxPillowWillowxPillow Posts: 189 Member
    I find the challenges to be pretty fun and a good way to bring the community together. I don't always participate, but it's fun to see people excited and happy.
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    can op express her/his feelings toward the strategy of EA. i agree with this statement and even if i ddnt, i dont see anything wrong with it. The problem is not that OP should just look away from the challenges EA throws out, cause thats mainly the problem. Looking away from a problem doesnt make it vanish you know. If it wasnt for people like this to express how they felt, a lot of the good wouldnt happen and there would be 0 chance that this is going to be a SIMS game, not a modern version of their vision of what a simulation game should be so its more profitable.
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    Aww, I like the challenges. I hope they don't stop doing them, honestly. I see them as just a fun little way to acknowledge a particular holiday or time of year (and a way to add a little something to the game while we wait for the next EP, GP, or SP), and if I get some free seasonal/holiday items out of it, yay!
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    I find the challenges to be pretty fun and a good way to bring the community together. I don't always participate, but it's fun to see people excited and happy.

Agree.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    The great thing about challenges is they are optional. Just like throwing parties. o:)
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I am troubled by the challenges and this is why- They continue to be the Wall of Silence when it comes to addressing players issues and unhappiness. I had a feeling that they would say nothing other than the "it's a piece of unique art" to the 30+ pages on the toddler render. They've said nothing about the 60+ pages on the Metro UK article Sparkfairy wrote. They don't communicate with players unless it's something uncomplicated, or happy, happy, sunshine, rainbows and lollipops. In my experience, that never ends well. Customer anger & unhappiness doesn't just go away if you refuse to respond to it. All it does is make it worse.

What bothers me a great deal, is that I've read quite a few posts where players seem to bare their hearts, explain in detail why they wanted to love Sims 4 but are so unhappy and disappointed. And how does the team respond? Crickets and "Hey, here's a cool challenge!" It makes me shake my head.
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member

Bye Felicia.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I am troubled by the challenges and this is why- They continue to be the Wall of Silence when it comes to addressing players issues and unhappiness. I had a feeling that they would say nothing other than the "it's a piece of unique art" to the 30+ pages on the toddler render. They've said nothing about the 60+ pages on the Metro UK article Sparkfairy wrote. They don't communicate with players unless it's something uncomplicated, or happy, happy, sunshine, rainbows and lollipops. In my experience, that never ends well. Customer anger & unhappiness doesn't just go away if you refuse to respond to it. All it does is make it worse.

What bothers me a great deal, is that I've read quite a few posts where players seem to bare their hearts, explain in detail why they wanted to love Sims 4 but are so unhappy and disappointed. And how does the team respond? Crickets and "Hey, here's a cool challenge!" It makes me shake my head.

Yes I agree. It breaks my heart how so many people have shared their heartbreaking stories and there isn't even an attempt to try to do *something* *anything* to show they appreciate how love motivates that sort of heartbreak and disappointment in some customers.

I'm glad some people like the challenges. But I do think it would be better if they kept communication up with everyone. Not just the select few. That's the only reservation I have really (other than I hope people are reading and informing themselves on how much extraneous data they take while taking your game data for this event)

It's creating a 'haves' and 'have not' culture around the game and I don't think that's a good thing for the long term success of the series. We already see people being abused for asking for what they want in the game by others who do exactly the same thing themselves but on a different topic. It shouldn't be socially acceptable to abuse others who like something different than you.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Yes I agree. It breaks my heart how so many people have shared their heartbreaking stories and there isn't even an attempt to try to do *something* *anything* to show they appreciate how love motivates that sort of heartbreak and disappointment in some customers.

I'm glad some people like the challenges. But I do think it would be better if they kept communication up with everyone. Not just the select few. That's the only reservation I have really (other than I hope people are reading and informing themselves on how much extraneous data they take while taking your game data for this event)

It's creating a 'haves' and 'have not' culture around the game and I don't think that's a good thing for the long term success of the series. We already see people being abused for asking for what they want in the game by others who do exactly the same thing themselves but on a different topic. It shouldn't be socially acceptable to abuse others who like something different than you.

Disagree x 2. Those that are making the game and those that are doing the challenges aren't the same people (barring the items). I doubt it's 'socially acceptable' to abuse anybody over a game.

If you don't like the challenges, don't participate, but there's no need to spoil the enjoyment of people who enjoy the challenges or want to participate.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    "I don't like the challenges" shouldn't spoil anyone's enjoyment.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif