Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Terrain sculpting "could still make a return"

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Anything's possible. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I think until something is confirmed, they're just giving lip service to keep people from deserting the game.

They are welcome to prove me wrong on anything, though. I'd be delighted.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    huh.... a 'maybe yes, maybe no' answer from a guru. Who'da thunk it? Nothing like being wishy-washy and non-committal. It is a non-statement, wish they'd pick a side and stick with it. How frustrating.

I'm going to guess no, it will not make a return.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,996 Member
    Anything's possible. o:)

Good.... I hope we get a CAST system like TS3 then!
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited October 2015
    I think that's an honest answer. My guess is that they're looking at development time versus expected return. It's not a feature I use but I'm hopeful for all simmers who like building.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Hard to say. Sounds like it's something not at the forefront of their process.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    That Town Life EP that was included in a survey once sounded like it might include/finance neighbourhood editing, which could include terrain editing. My issue with it would most likely end up being the same uneven edges of lots issue that I hit in Sims 3. I suppose I'd just end up doing more of my own building as a result. I do very much miss hills. It would be worth it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    Terrain Sculpting would make me a lot happier than toddlers, But I need toddlers too. Plus a few other things. The biggest disappointment for me when I got Sim City was the lack of terrain sculpting so I was sort of prepared for it with Sims 4. But when it was missing from Sims 4 as well, I was extremely not impressed.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting...

I don't see how it would not be possible though, I mean did they not add pools and basements in?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    What was the actual question?
  • Options
    greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member

It disappoints me that it's not something we're going to see soon if they're not already working on it.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2015
    I miss terrain and pond tools. *Hugs* her Sims 1, 2, and 3 games. Inge is awesome too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    would be awesome... but will it happen?
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    snurfles wrote: »
    Wow. How ambiguous. I'm afraid I'm skeptical since they also said toddlers would return but according to Rachel Franklin that's not likely anymore. (At least, that's certainly how she made it sound.)

My thoughts also. It sounds like more like the usual non commitment response.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Interesting...

I don't see how it would not be possible though, I mean did they not add pools and basements in?

It would be possible, but it would be a lot of work and I don't think it would ever be like the previous games where you could manipulate the walls and foundations. Right now, everything has to be on the same level no matter what level it is. Basements and pools are just added levels. The pool is as deep as a room and whatever wall height you have chosen. So in regard to adding terrain tools, they would either have to change the way things are leveled, which would take a lot of time and resources or they would have to make it work within the scope of the code as it is now (which is what I think they would do). Thereby, limiting it drastically.

What do I think? This is the same guy that said toddlers and cars would be in the base game. So I don't think much of anything.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Interesting...

It would be possible, but it would be a lot of work and I don't think it would ever be like the previous games where you could manipulate the walls and foundations. Right now, everything has to be on the same level no matter what level it is. Basements and pools are just added levels. The pool is as deep as a room and whatever wall height you have chosen. So in regard to adding terrain tools, they would either have to change the way things are leveled, which would take a lot of time and resources or they would have to make it work within the scope of the code as it is now (which is what I think they would do). Thereby, limiting it drastically.

What do I think? This is the same guy that said toddlers and cars would be in the base game. So I don't think much of anything.

I haven't been building in Sims 4 due to the limitations and lack of interest on my part. However, I agree with what you have said.

I'd be very surprised/astonished to see them provide proper terrain sculpting and CFE for building in Sims 4.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    GreenXen wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    What was the actual question?

You can always click on a tweet to see what was being responded to.

I need my closure too!!!... will need to use that tweeter.. oh god.. have a mercy... I am so against it.. but ehh.. for the closure!!! for the closure!!!:)))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    Interesting...

Good points :smile:

One thing I like in TS3 was building almost split levels leading to 'lower ground floors' and 'upper ground floors' which was something I never thought would be possible in The Sims, but I was beyond happy to see someone had tried it with a lot they made in CAW and I made it myself :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    While I miss the terrain tools I really miss the world editor. I always liked creating my own atmosphere.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Interesting...

One thing I like in TS3 was building almost split levels leading to 'lower ground floors' and 'upper ground floors' which was something I never thought would be possible in The Sims, but I was beyond happy to see someone had tried it with a lot they made in CAW and I made it myself :smile:

I used to do that all the time. Those were the best space saver starter houses. LOL. Yeah, I thought a lot about how they could add terrain tools when the game first came out. The fact that you can't have walls on the ground if there is a foundation on the lot is telling. The foundation heights, I assume, is why they coded it the way they did. I would love to be wrong, but I remain doubtful that we would ever have the same type of terrain tools as we did in all the previous games.
  • Options
    Interesting...

I used to do that all the time. Those were the best space saver starter houses. LOL. Yeah, I thought a lot about how they could add terrain tools when the game first came out. The fact that you can't have walls on the ground if there is a foundation on the lot is telling. The foundation heights, I assume, is why they coded it the way they did. I would love to be wrong, but I remain doubtful that we would ever have the same type of terrain tools as we did in all the previous games.

It does seem to be a shame to have either a foundation or not. The foundations came in TS2 but you could still build on the ground if you wanted to build a shed, a pool house or a garage or greenhouse when they arrived.

It was still like that in TS3 and gave us players more ways to customise our houses :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    While I miss the terrain tools I really miss the world editor. I always liked creating my own atmosphere.
    I miss it too. Even the Sims 2 town editor was nice. I just miss plopping my lots and moving them and changing their size. Being able to place trees and rocks where I wanted was nice too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @snurfles wrote: »
    Wow. How ambiguous. I'm afraid I'm skeptical since they also said toddlers would return but according to Rachel Franklin that's not likely anymore. (At least, that's certainly how she made it sound.)

She only confirmed they didn't make it to the base game, she hinted very strongly that she's wasn't referring to future content.