Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are peoples thoughts on "stealing" In the gallery?

Comments

• Options
    ropodogropodog Posts: 210 Member
    Thanks for sharing your opinions guys and keeping it nice so far I really appreciate it. I want to try to keep this as pleasant as possible :) You guys rock!
    TunnelSnakesRule_400x400.jpg

Origin Id On Gallery ropodog

MY YOUTUBE

MY TUMBLER
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    I've had several creations stolen from me on the gallery, so it got to the point where I just built my basic set up and put it up on the gallery, but no one gets my finished product anymore.

Also, as someone who's had to deal a lot with art being stolen online, even though this isn't the same exact thing, I just want to remind people that just because something is uploaded or shared publicly (whether it's a creation of builds, art, music, sims, etc) doesn't make it automatically "free of rights."

Even though Sims is a game, it's also a creation tool for many. Photoshop is a creation tool as well. If you use Photoshop to paint something and then upload it, it's your creation and shouldn't be plagiarized or stolen. Yes it's risky putting it out there, but that doesn't mean you lost rights to it. You just have to ask yourself is it worth it though. With the Sims, you used a tool to create. Maxis has a right to use your creations when uploaded as it's stated, but players aren't Maxis. Players are welcomed to download it and use it, change it or what have you, but taking it and reclaiming it as theirs, is no different than taking an online image and saying it's yours because you think since it's online or public, the creator lost rights. :) Just something to think about is all.
  • Options
    MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    Baenre wrote: »
    I've had several creations stolen from me on the gallery, so it got to the point where I just built my basic set up and put it up on the gallery, but no one gets my finished product anymore.

Also, as someone who's had to deal a lot with art being stolen online, even though this isn't the same exact thing, I just want to remind people that just because something is uploaded or shared publicly (whether it's a creation of builds, art, music, sims, etc) doesn't make it automatically "free of rights."

Even though Sims is a game, it's also a creation tool for many. Photoshop is a creation tool as well. If you use Photoshop to paint something and then upload it, it's your creation and shouldn't be plagiarized or stolen. Yes it's risky putting it out there, but that doesn't mean you lost rights to it. You just have to ask yourself is it worth it though. With the Sims, you used a tool to create. Maxis has a right to use your creations when uploaded as it's stated, but players aren't Maxis. Players are welcomed to download it and use it, change it or what have you, but taking it and reclaiming it as theirs, is no different than taking an online image and saying it's yours because you think since it's online or public, the creator lost rights. :) Just something to think about is all.

I couldn't say it any better. Amen!
  • Options
    dpapiiidpapiii Posts: 32 Member
    I think it would be difficult to ban reuploading completely because I believe as long as the sim is changed beyond recognition, there is no problem there. I personally like to use a already good-looking base and then revamp them completely from there. For example, if someone used a sim from the gallery and only changed things like hair color, makeup, outfits before reuploading... that would be crossing the line.
  • Options
    FrogPrinceFrogPrince Posts: 485 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Mightydan wrote: »
    You're basically giving permission to everyone to use your creations as they please once you upload them to the gallery. Any simmer is free to download your creation and place it in their game, edit it, feed your sims to the cowplant, paint your house pink, etc.
    Once uploaded to the gallery, our creations stop being ours and belong to EA.

Sure, everybody would like to be recognised and credited for their own creations. However, you must remember that this isn't a popularity contest. Don't make a big deal about it. The only thing that matters is that you're happy with your creations and are able to enjoy playing with them. Besides, I bet that most of these "thieves" are just kids reuploading stuff they like to the gallery. I doubt they're doing this with ill intent.

I totally agree with you! I think the majority of the re-uploads aren't done to take credit or 'steal', a lot of people use the gallery as a back-up for their sims & lots and don't even think about it.

But there are 2 options one can be uploaded to gallery for everyone to download and the other for personal use (?).

Yea, but if you need to reinstall the items in your gallery will still be there but the items in your library won't. At least, that's how I assumed it works...I really don't know LOL!

I re-installed my game and all the items in my library re-appeared.
  • Options
    A new twist to stealing from the galley: I just finished working on a house creation and loaded it to my library but not the gallery. It is totally my own creation but to my surprise, it shows that it belongs to another person. I checked it out and other than being Victorian in style the two creations are totally different. Mine is a much bigger house on a 50x50 lot; the other smaller on a 30x20. I uploaded to my library today while the other was uploaded to the gallery on 10/23/14. Mine has a basement, the other does not. So I guess what I am saying, we can 'steal' another person's work without realizing it and I certainly had no intention of doing that. Does anyone know if the information can be corrected by removing the other individual's name. I probably will end up not uploading the lot to the gallery.
  • Options
    FrogPrince wrote: »
    A new twist to stealing from the galley: I just finished working on a house creation and loaded it to my library but not the gallery. It is totally my own creation but to my surprise, it shows that it belongs to another person. I checked it out and other than being Victorian in style the two creations are totally different. Mine is a much bigger house on a 50x50 lot; the other smaller on a 30x20. I uploaded to my library today while the other was uploaded to the gallery on 10/23/14. Mine has a basement, the other does not. So I guess what I am saying, we can 'steal' another person's work without realizing it and I certainly had no intention of doing that. Does anyone know if the information can be corrected by removing the other individual's name. I probably will end up not uploading the lot to the gallery.

It may be saying this if you build on a lot that previously had someone else's creation. Like if you downloaded a lot from the gallery placed it in the neighborhood then demolished the lot and built on it.

MY YOUTUBE

MY TUMBLER
  • Options
    RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    edited September 2015
    @FrogPrince
    I've had this happened to me. I built Granite Falls Spa, but when I uploaded it, I had another Simmer's "Originally Created By" name affixed to it. I THINK (not 100% sure) it's because of how I first began building the lot. The said Simmer - I downloaded one of their lots and bulldozed it, and from this I started building. I thought the bulldozer cleared everything, but maybe it didn't. (exactly what @ropodog said!) Next time, I'm thinking I'll just do a "New Game" and go into the lot size I want to build in and then build/upload from there and not run the risk of accidentally having this happen again. It doesn't really bother me that much (people can always find my builds on my blog), but it does feel weird seeing another person's name as the creator, mostly when I'm really happy/proud of that spa. I love building <3
  • Options
    professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    I personally re-upload to the gallery backup copies of any build or sim I'm using regularly. This is because each game file has a completely separate library, and I play several different games, _and_ I've lost two game files in the past. I learned the importance of multiple backup copies the hard way! Since I modify sims and builds, ths means I'm posting backups that are only a little if fervent from the originals. I always label them "backup copy", though, and they don't get downloaded much because they usually have cc in them.
  • Options
    ropodog and RachelRosebud: Thanks for your comments. I did bulldoze a lot I had downloaded and then built the one is question. However the name of the creator for that lot was different. Maybe that person modified a lot when they were building the one I downloaded and put in my game.
  • Options
    ropodog and RachelRosebud: Thanks for your comments. I did bulldoze a lot I had downloaded and then built the one is question. However the name of the creator for that lot was different. Maybe that person modified a lot when they were building the one I downloaded and put in my game.

It's possible for sure! I have noticed a few odd "bugs" like this. Not really a bug but I'm not sure what else to call it haha. Best bet for when you are building is to as @RachelRosebud said to start a new game and then build. Just to make sure that you are starting with a clean fresh slate! Hope this helps for future builds!

MY YOUTUBE

MY TUMBLER
  • Options
    Ashley RoseAshley Rose Posts: 39 Member
    With everything lacking in the game currently, what else is there to make something look unique and different than the ones already been done before?
  • Options
    Ashley RoseAshley Rose Posts: 39 Member
    Um okay, after reading some of the comments on here, first of all, yes you do own it. You bought the game so you should have all the rights to use it. Second, if you upload it, it should still be yours because you made it?
  • Options
    tynkertymetynkertyme Posts: 18 New Member
    Sure, stealing is wrong and I agree that if you start with someone else's creation, you should give them credit, however...You all realize there's no actual harm involved here right? Even if the "theft" was intentional, you aren't being cheated out of royalties or fame or anything, it's just your feelings that get hurt. So instead think of it as flattery that someone thought what you made was so cool they were inspired to use/repost it (changed or not). Isn't it possible that they saw your original and recreated it on their own? I've seen a bunch of sims in the gallery that look nearly exactly like my own. I myself take one of my own sims and maybe just tweak a couple things when starting a new game. Besides, I think you have the option to comment on creations in the gallery so if you do see your creation without credit among the bazillion creations out there, simply put a comment directing people to your original, just be nice about it in case you're mistaken.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited September 2015
    Once you upload to the Gallery, it is no longer yours. It is Maxis's.
    What Colton is saying is true, though I shutter to type those words. lol

That aside, it's wrong and inexcusable to steal someone's creations, but outside of the precautions Maxis has already taken, I am not sure what else could be done. Being able to create closed social hangouts so you can just share with your friends or followers might be a decent compromise, but there are still ways for the content to be taken if one of your group members posts it outside the group.

It irritates me when I see my sims without credit shared on the gallery, but at the same time, they're not always stolen. On a few occasions I've created sims from scratch that looked a lot like other sims I saw later on the gallery. Some of them I thought were stolen from me, until I realized I had not uploaded that particular sim to the gallery. DOH! Really glad I keep a cool head and don't tend to go off on people, because that would have been embarrassing. rofl

Edit: I like this idea.
    0Chloe wrote: »
    Honestly, it bothers me, but when you post something? That's the consequence that comes with it.
    There should be an option to stop people from re-uploading and an option to ask for permission to re-upload.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    With everything lacking in the game currently, what else is there to make something look unique and different than the ones already been done before?

Good point. A lot of the creations do look similar although it is possible to do something unique (I saw a creation of the Downton Abbey house on Mod the Sims but did not download it). This is especially true of Sims when using the base game hair and clothing) You got to really work hard to create a unique Sim. I guess this is why people are annoyed when their work is not credited.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    I agree with majority in here. Maxis/EA owns everything related to sims, be it hairstyles, or houses etc, you have no claim or right to any of it, and ideas can't be copyrighted, especially not if the idea includes copyrighted stuff in it.

I feel some people might think or feel different towards answers like this, so the best thing to do would probably be to contact one from EA/Maxis and ask them how they see it, at least there you know the answer is correct.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    You know there is also the fact that there is only so much you can do with the Sims and building. It's true that some Sims stand out because they have CC and are made to look different but when I look at the gallery I see pages of Sims that look amazing alike. It's possible that you can be creating a Sim and it looks a lot like a hundred other Sims. If you're going for odd or ugly you have a much better chance of standing out but it won't please the Barbie Doll or perfect Sim players.

It also goes for building. There are amazing builders who make lots that stand out with an imaginative roof or some other unusual thing about them. When it comes to starter homes or the typical neighborhood house everyone is using the same tools and it's hard to imagine that with all the players who are building that some original duplication doesn't happen.

I'm not saying this is always the case but you do have to be realistic.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,088 Member
    It is lame to take someone's stuff and say it is your own work-however I have seen many take someone's work and improve on it. If I were to see either happen with mine I wouldn't really care. I kind of figure once I upload it it totally belongs to the gallery and people can do as they please. It is nice if people at least note something in their description but *shrug* I got more important things to do then sit around being mad over stuff like that.
  • Options
    minibaz28minibaz28 Posts: 4 New Member
    I agree with most comments made here, I do think it is wrong to steal someone else's creation and make it your own. I had this happen to one of my lots, I was very disappointed to see it happen. I do think there should be some kind of way to allow the creator to make a decision on whether or not the lot or Sim they have created can be re-uploaded.
  • Options
    whitebunny83whitebunny83 Posts: 18 Member
    When i create something, be it a drawing, an idea, a sim.... Nothing makes me happier than knowing someone else is enjoying it, using it, improving on it or giving it exposure.

As for people using something i created deliberately for my own financial gain and taking credit for it well, that's a whole different story.
    Which brings me to my point : What i do in this game isn't copyrighted, relevant material.

At the end of the day, no matter how many hours i put into them, they're just animated persons in a game that belongs to a company i don't personally own. What i bought was a license to use their product and for lack of a better word i think it'd be ridiculous for me to think someone is stealing from me inside this universe because they copied one of my creations (which are not objectively mine) and put his or her name on it.
    I can't make any money from them, and i'm certainly not thinking about how many compliments and popularity i'm going to get once i RELEASE MY ULTIMATE CREATION INTO THE WORLD like omg ©®™

As for people making something even better or with a personal touch with my creations as a base, that's definitely something i look forward to and that's exactly how people have been progressing through the centuries.
    And sure it'd be nice to have my name credited every time i can come up with something original but we don't call it Graham Bells' iPhone 6 because other people just improved on his actually super original, groundbreaking, life-changing idea.

Just my personal thoughts. Please don't hurt me =)
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Well said @whitebunny83! :)
    He/Him
  • Options
    MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    When i create something, be it a drawing, an idea, a sim.... Nothing makes me happier than knowing someone else is enjoying it, using it, improving on it or giving it exposure.

As for people using something i created deliberately for my own financial gain and taking credit for it well, that's a whole different story.
    Which brings me to my point : What i do in this game isn't copyrighted, relevant material.

At the end of the day, no matter how many hours i put into them, they're just animated persons in a game that belongs to a company i don't personally own. What i bought was a license to use their product and for lack of a better word i think it'd be ridiculous for me to think someone is stealing from me inside this universe because they copied one of my creations (which are not objectively mine) and put his or her name on it.
    I can't make any money from them, and i'm certainly not thinking about how many compliments and popularity i'm going to get once i RELEASE MY ULTIMATE CREATION INTO THE WORLD like omg ©®™

As for people making something even better or with a personal touch with my creations as a base, that's definitely something i look forward to and that's exactly how people have been progressing through the centuries.
    And sure it'd be nice to have my name credited every time i can come up with something original but we don't call it Graham Bells' iPhone 6 because other people just improved on his actually super original, groundbreaking, life-changing idea.

Just my personal thoughts. Please don't hurt me =)

We might not call it "Graham Bell's iPhone 6", but we all know who Alexander Graham Bell is because he's been credited for his creation. Simmers deserve the same credit for the creations they upload to the gallery. Although I don't particularly like re-uploading and would be happy if it was banned completely, the ethical alternative is to lock the original creators name to the sim/lot permanently.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    I think it's rude for people to do that, but at the end of the day, it's a game, and it's "The Sims". No reason to get too serious about it. I'd be mad, but take it as flattery.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    You should create because you love the game not to get credit for what you do. If you put it on the gallery it doesn't belong to you after that so people can do whatever they want with what you create. We pay to use the game it doesn't mean we own what we create.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top