Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why'O'Why do The Sims Studio keep making the same social gaming mistake??

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited September 2015
    Why'O'Why do The Sims Studio keep making the same social gaming mistake??

Does anyone have an answer or speculation?

They've tried bringing The Sims online at various points throughout its history and each attempt has failed.

The Sims Online back in 2000. I'd never heard of this game back then, so I've never played it, but I have heard from some ppl who played it and liked it. Either way, it failed.

The Sims Social: That pile of manure was a hot, stinky mess. I played it and I ended up deleting the game from my FB account. It was crazy that I had to annoy my FB friends with request from this game and I didn't want to do this. And, other probs I had with it.

The Sims 3 port system: I hated this with one of the expansions and I have a guess that a lot of fans hated it, too. I didn't want to depend on other players to help me play my game, but I was happy that it wasn't required. I didn't want to loan my sim to someone else's game and didn't want to port another fan's sim into mine. It was for an expansion, but can't remember which one. I heard many fans didn't like and complained abt it, and is so, then The Sims Studio should have taken the hint.

And of course, the infamous Olympus - the sims online only. I wouldn't have bought this game. I don't even have wifi and right now I'm on my phone. When my laptop was working, I got wifi from the library, which is a 3 minute walk from me.

Overall. I don't think simmers like playing their sims online. This is borne out from history, and from some fans I've heard from, a lot seem to welcome an online optional feature but not a requirement to gameplay.

If I've left out any other social online game they've experimented with them let me know! I'm going on my memory and some research.

Tell me:
    1) Why does EA\Maxis/the sims studio continue to push online when fans clearly reject it?
    2) How would u feel had the sims online-only came to fruition?

as far i know it was already Will Wright's idea, maybe it's just his fault :mrgreen:

no, seriously
    in general i think the idea is not that crazy, just what it should contain is highly disputable
    & just because they didn't succeed yet, doesn't mean that it has to be a failure, or as you put it "a mistake"
    i think not to try anything new would be definately a mistake,
    but maybe the devs should take it a little slower, as a smaller side track & stick to one idea & not beginn every time anew
    & especially not try to push it without consideration for how does it play & if it's actually fun & not just presumably

here a nice link to backgrounds of TS Online
    The Sims Online a $20,000,000.00 (20 Million Dollar) Failure? <<<

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA