Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims: Robots or "Humans"?

It seems to me that it's harder to actually treat sims like people. If you want a sim to have a job, a relationship, friends, and actually go places it's so much harder to keep their needs up without cheats and have enough time for dates, parties, and the random night on the town. I mean it's obvious that it will be harder to manage, but it's kind of like being punished for not being a robot and doing the same thing every day. I know that not all people like to play this way and keep their sims' lives filled with fun and happiness, but it's something to talk about. One time my sim went on a date with Don Lothario and ended up ditching him for a group of random sims. :p

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2015
    They feel like Stepford robots to me. Zerbu's mods actually help a lot with the emotions, but still emotions feel fake to me. There was an EP in the Sims 3 called Into the Future. It had plumbots you could add traits to. That is exactly how these new Sims feel like to me. There is actually nothing bad that really happens to the Sims either and that makes them feel less human as well. I made Cassandra ditch Don Lothario in the Sims 2 every time. She deserved better than him.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I would've ditched Don too, so I guess that makes sims human.
  • Options
    FizzleFoozleFizzleFoozle Posts: 56 Member
    There needs to be more bad things that happen, maybe a few more good things as well. It's kind of dumb how they made the game with emotions, but not many things for the emotions to even do.
  • Options
    PinkmonkeyPinkmonkey Posts: 188 Member
    I feel like the the sims have always been pretty robotic (I've played TS1, TS2 and TS4). To me they feel a slight bit less robotic than the sims in TS2.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Don't forget the needs go down fast because in a minute hours are passing sim-time! ;)
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    It's because they have emotions but not feelings. Sims 2 Sims didn't had emotions but they had something similar to feelings (memories). We, as humans, have emotions AND feelings that influences each the other. Sims will never feel like humans this way.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    There has been a rapid dumbing down of this game since TS3. If you'll notice, that's when it became increasingly difficult for a Sim to die, even of a random death. Drowning was solved by coding Sims to be able to climb out without a ladder. Now, please do not misinterpret my words. I'm not one of those players who makes a point of murdering my little pixalated people. However, not having enough of a 'risk' is worse than knowing if your Sim repairs something electrical without enough of a skill level (and even then it was no guarantee) could put that favorite Sim in jeopardy, makes the game a tad less interesting. If this is a 'Life Simulator', where's the simulation?

I'm not a hater of this game. To date, I have the EP, both GPs and the SPs and will soon have the new SP. So, I'm an invested player.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Sims are not robots nor humans. Sims do not even exist outside of a machine.
    Sims are virtual dolls.

Which, kinda offtopic, makes it very strange that the game about non reality gets some rating, censoring and whatever.
    I guess censors have some illness that prevent them from differentiating fiction and reality.
  • Options
    > @JoxerTM22 said:
    > Sims are not robots nor humans. Sims do not even exist outside of a machine.
    > Sims are virtual dolls.

They may be dolls, but it's still a sort of life simulation. So it should be even the tiniest bit better at what it's trying to do. They could at least make the emotions feel a bit real for the sim, like SiliClone said, the sims need something like feelings to make the emotions better.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    As I said at a thread I made

Sims at TS4 are Plumbots... even we can buy trait-chips
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    Careful with what you wish for mate. Sims with AI could get creepy...
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited August 2015
    I said in another thread, I would actually like robot sims with their own traits and could be upgraded...personally, if another life state was to be added to the game, I would prefer robots over the traditional supernatural ones.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I remember getting s good robot skin in the sims 2,... And the sims did make good robots! I don't use custom content in this game though.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Sims with AI, sound cool if EA can improve AI of our sims
  • Options
    kaylade5154kaylade5154 Posts: 144 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Don't forget the needs go down fast because in a minute hours are passing sim-time! ;)

exactlyy so to them its been 5 hours since they last ate and to us its like, you ate 5 mins ago
  • Options
    XSimMimXXSimMimX Posts: 613 Member
    To me, they're actors. I can make them play out whatever story I want and dramatize as much as I like, but in the end, there are always those funny little "bloopers" that show the Sim's personality IS different from the one you're playing out. I care for my sims, and I don't think of them as robots, really.
  • Options
    Sim ShadySim Shady Posts: 297 Member
    I think, in a way, the Sims in TS2 were the most 'human' because they had the memory system and various fears/wishes/wants and so on - plus they had star signs, which determined what their personalities were going to be like. I also think all the mystery surrounding the Goths, Calientes and Don was good, and gave the game more depth too. Playing it now, it does seem dated (I mean, why wouldn't it? It was released over 10 years ago) but it's still got some amazing features that I feel TS3 and 4 were, and still are, missing. TS3 Sims were sort of robotic, and I prefer the way TS4 Sims perform actions/tasks, where one rolls into the other, rather than just standing and staring into space for ages before finally picking up the object you wanted them to, or walking to another room. The open world helped make it more realistic though, because it was more like actual human beings walking and driving around.

The multitasking aspect of TS4 makes the Sims seem more human, but they do still have their staring into space or just grinning for no apparent reason moments, plus the slightly disturbing lack of reaction to death and other life-changing events. However, I do think things can be improved in TS4 and I think every game has its elements of reality. I was much younger when I played the first Sims game so I don't have too many memories and I can't really judge it based on the few that I do have but, as I said, every game has its quirks and its little things that make it that much more real and the Sims in it appear more 'human'.
    duck.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    There has been a rapid dumbing down of this game since TS3. If you'll notice, that's when it became increasingly difficult for a Sim to die, even of a random death. Drowning was solved by coding Sims to be able to climb out without a ladder. Now, please do not misinterpret my words. I'm not one of those players who makes a point of murdering my little pixalated people. However, not having enough of a 'risk' is worse than knowing if your Sim repairs something electrical without enough of a skill level (and even then it was no guarantee) could put that favorite Sim in jeopardy, makes the game a tad less interesting. If this is a 'Life Simulator', where's the simulation?

I'm not a hater of this game. To date, I have the EP, both GPs and the SPs and will soon have the new SP. So, I'm an invested player.
    I kind of fail to see the connection between a game character climbing out of a pool before drowning and a robot. I'd say that makes the game character less robotic because that would be exactly what I would do. I don't need a ladder to leave a pool either. So that actually makes sims more human, not less.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Cesal95Cesal95 Posts: 298 Member
    In The Sims 2 you could feel the emotions without the UI telling you what emotion your sim was going thru, however I like the emotion system in TS4, the idea is actually really good and is nice to see how the sims act depending of their emotion, I think that the problem with this system is the way that it works in the game, for example I have an angry sim that was cheated and just because he enters in a room with nice decoration, or he obtains a happy moodlet for whatever reason his/her emotion changes to happy and that feels really fake.
    I think the way they could fix this is by making certain moodlets have much more value than others, especially the negative emotions, like for example when a family member dies the moodlet could be +30 sad, so it could be over any other emotion, that would be more like real life, you just don't lose someone and then the next hour you are like it didn't happen anything, thats not real.
    PoroLoL_zpset4qfym5.gif
  • Options
    You see, when I said "humans" I didn't mean actual humans. I meant that they are trying to make them seem more human, but are failing.
  • Options
    UltraviolenxeUltraviolenxe Posts: 96 Member
    Sims are more robotic now but before no so much. I always thought the franchise was at its peak during sims 2. I just felt a stronger connection to the sims and the sims themselves felt more life-like. I think sims 3 was more about open worlds and customization (all great things) but I think by doing that the developers didn't put that much into make sims as life-like as they were in 2. It explains why sims 3 sims feel robotic. I don't really know where they went wrong with 4 but I think it's more about how they didn't have enough time to really take time on 4.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I feel like a robot that actually had "needs" would still be more "human" than these sims lol. There are a few things "off" about them. The illusion isn't quite right. The AI and traits need some tweaking, imo.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    As I said at a thread I made

Sims at TS4 are Plumbots... even we can buy trait-chips
    I thought that too. I think ITF was a prediction of the Sims 4.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Well personally the sims 3 were most "robotic" as I felt like they were just playing along and had no interest of things around them. I find that sims 4 has an improvement on this and personally I feel really attached to my sims mainly cause they are not as two dimensional as the ones in sims 3 were.
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    edited September 2015

I never found Sims 3 to be robotic myself. Interesting how you mention drowning. I had a house of eight sims, this one Sim of mine drowned his first day there, one sim fainted, others mourned. I didn't save, tried again..and he drowned again..though he was Jason Todd..not sure if anyone gets the cruel joke there xd. .In Sims 1 my sis family all died in a fire. My simself in 2 let her cat tear up the couch. I think in the end Sims are just stupid. Whether or not their robots well sometimes I feel like a robot and that my life is a constant routine going nowhere. Maybe in the end were all robots.

But that's okay...robots rock. MTS_DynamicDuo-280161-Thumbnail.jpg