Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling: Extremely upset

madokamadoka Posts: 277 Member
I know there's countless forum posts
addressing culling, but I am too upset (to the point of actual tears) to not make my own and vent.

I've never been a legacy player. In TS2+3 it was rare for me to get past the
second generation without creating a new family/story. This family is the only family I've played in TS4 and they've grown to six generations (and counting.)

I've gone to extreme measures to keep my family from being culled. I tediously delete townies I don't want, making sure there's room for my sims. I even released the spirits from their urns in hopes it'd keep culling at bay.

My family tree was fine up until the sixth generation. Sure enough, I go into my family tree and see THREE generations completely gone. Wiped out. I've been playing for so long I can't even remember some of their names, so obviously the family tree was a big help.

I'm so upset. I know it's just a game, but I've put a lot of hard work and dedication into making this family what it is, only for the records of all my hard work to be wiped out by this pathetic system of "culling."

I couldn't comprehend why everyone was upset over this. In my head it was like, it's just portraits on a family tree why get so angry? Unfortunately, now I know, and it's pushed me to the point where I rather shut this family down than keep playing and keep seeing portraits on the tree disappear.
tumblr_n44s6oo9G21qztgoio1_500.gif
Find my Legacy family tree here

Comments

• Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. :(

The devs are working on culling but they have no estimated time when it will get fixed.

I used to rely on the no culling mod, but I've heard its out of date now, so I try and go through my unplayed houses every play session and delete all the sims the game has generated. It seems to be working for me.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. :(

The devs are working on culling but they have no estimated time when it will get fixed.

I used to rely on the no culling mod, but I've heard its out of date now, so I try and go through my unplayed houses every play session and delete all the sims the game has generated. It seems to be working for me.

You see, that's what I've been doing. I don't use mods due to past experiences and I prefer to think we should be able to enjoy a game without needing mods that fix it, but I guess not.

I know they're working on it, but it should have never been an issue in the first place. I would have been completely fine with culling if they at least left the family tree intact.

Oh I missed the part where you said you do delete townies. I don't play legacies so I can't speak of the trees.

Sorry :( I know what it's like to be in tears over your sims. I lost my save game a while back when my hard drive broke. *big hugs*

• Options
    @Ponder_the_Sim
    My sympathies for you! At least I know I'm not the only one who grows attached.
  • Options
    @Ponder_the_Sim
    My sympathies for you! At least I know I'm not the only one who grows attached.
    Definitely not. :)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Oh, that is just so sad. I do hope the devs get this pesky problem fixed, sooner rather than later. I can't imagine losing family tree branches. That's just so wrong. Aren't these Sims already passed on? What space could they possibly be taking? :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    tb98rocktb98rock Posts: 121 Member
    What even is this? I'm sorry I see it on all over and I don't know what it is...I've never played past 3 gens
  • Options
    Oh, that is just so sad. I do hope the devs get this pesky problem fixed, sooner rather than later. I can't imagine losing family tree branches. That's just so wrong. Aren't these Sims already passed on? What space could they possibly be taking? :open_mouth:

My thoughts exactly! They're not even ghosts, no. I release the spirits from their urns as soon as I can. Now I have 20+ urns that say "put in inventory" and "destroy." No name to the urn, no identity. I'm so glad I at least have some screenshots of past family members.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2015
    tb98rock wrote: »
    What even is this? I'm sorry I see it on all over and I don't know what it is...I've never played past 3 gens

It's when the game deletes some Sims -- not-in-world Sims or dead Sims -- in order to keep the game total population under its cap and to refresh the townie population. (Sims 3 had something similar, at least for nonplayed Sims: it just told us they were moving away. I can't remember if we had it before then.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Aww I'm so sorry D: I would suggest using the no culling mod until the devs fix it. Even if you don't like mods, it's a great help :)
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I'm sorry for your loss. :( Do you have a backup save you can roll back to?

What I've done to preserve my family tree is lock their ghosts in a household, since I have a few family members that are half siblings and without it the family tree is broken and accidental incest can occur... Not that it doesn't matter, considering that cousins do not span to second cousins and whatnot... :/ I keep an online family tree on family echo to keep track since a few of my beloved sims were already culled during early game.
    The no culling mod still works in my game, and I have a full 350+ population that is growing (Trying to maintain it to be under 400 though). However, I guess it depends on a game I guess, since there are some that use the mod that reported it broken. I also found that played "out of world" households can still exist in the game, going past the limit, but I read someone having housed played sims being culled. I'm not too sure about things these days.

I hope you feel better :( I agree it's upsetting that we'd have to rely on a mod to fix some of these issues as well. I hope the devs do something about it, even though I think they don't see it as a problem from culling being a feature so it can run better on any computer, apparently...
  • Options
    Sadly I do not have a save to roll back to, I create a new save every now and then and delete all the others in order to keep my game from getting laggy.
    Sadly I created that new save during the culling before I knew it was happening.
  • Options
    ZxujZxuj Posts: 233 Member
    The best way to remember sims that get culled is to take a picture of them with the camera or paint from reference. It doesn`t fix the tree but its the next best thing.
    For Custom Content Free sims and lots look for me: Zxuj in the gallery
  • Options
    Zxuj wrote: »
    The best way to remember sims that get culled is to take a picture of them with the camera or paint from reference. It doesn`t fix the tree but its the next best thing.

I've done that with a couple sims, not all. I guess this is a valuable lesson that I need to do it with every sim, as well as create my own tree somewhere not in game. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    The MC Command Center mod with the population module has a "bypass culling" setting that DOES work.
  • Options
    thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    My condolences. One of the reason I've been playing The Sims 3 a lot more often is due to culling.
  • Options
    My condolences. One of the reason I've been playing The Sims 3 a lot more often is due to culling.

I lost my whole sims collection in an accident, so all I've had to rely on is TS4 to get my fix. Looks like I'll either need to repurchase my the past installations I enjoyed. The Sims 3 here I come, once more!
  • Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    The MC Command Center mod with the population module has a "bypass culling" setting that DOES work.

As much as I'm against mods and CC, if I want to continue playing TS4 without worrying about culling it looks like I'm going to need this mod. At least it's well known and mostly everyone has nothing but positive words to say about it.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2015
    Aww *hugs* and yes MC Command Center is sadly the fastest working fix for it now. It helps with multiple things including story progression. So if you are going to get a mod, I'd highly recommend that one. Basically it is the TS4 version of Twallan's TS3 NRAAs mods. Kijiko's 3D eyelashes I would recommend too, but that is pretty CC. I really hope Maxis fixes it soon because it is one feature that could kill this Sims game's future.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited August 2015
    SimGuruDaniel said on twitter that they're working on it. I hope we'll get a fix soon because I've seen way too many broken hearts in the forums due to the culling :(
    Post edited by Mightydan on
  • Options
    Mightydan wrote: »
    SimGuruDaniel said on twitter that they're working on it. I hope we'll get a fix soon because I've seen way to many broken hearts in the forums due to the culling :(

I'm happy they've at least finally addressed it as a serious issue rather than blowing it off as something that doesn't mess with the actual gameplay.
  • Options
    AimForTheHeadAimForTheHead Posts: 805 Member
    Oh no :( I'm so sorry this happened to you! It's happened to me too, and it made me very sad also. So, I haven't been actually "playing" as much, just building and editing. I can't wait until they have a fix :/
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I think I am the only one that actually like the family tree getting "cleaned up". I was really careful with having kids etc in TS2 because I wanted "nice" family trees which restricted me somewhat (I did go wild from time to time though with select families ;) ) so I usually never played beyond second gen.

In TS3 I can kick the sims I don't want to play out and they will eventually age up and die, which I love, but still be in the family tree. Something I don't like in TS3 is that sims that get deleted by the game don't get grayed out so appear to be alive and around somewhere.

At least now I don't really care for the family trees and for me that's refreshing :) I guess it's easier on the game file as well which is always welcome in my book. I do get what you're saying about forgetting earlier generations though. Pretty sure I will forget who is grandparents to who soon to as its all in my head. But, I don't actually want them to "fix" this. Something I have noticed though is that generations is still registered by the game as I got the achievement for 26 generations even though the family tree only show his mom and dad above him at the moment. Anyway, just wanted to share my view on it :) Sorry you lost all that hard work though :/
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    @JackOnYourBack
    I can understand where you're coming from, and all in all it boils down to how the player plays their game.

Even Sims I don't like/don't play mean a lot to me when it comes to my family tree. Every sim, played or not, has a story behind who they are. Whenever I see a huge chunk of my family tree missing it automatically makes me feel as if a piece of this huge elaborate story I've put together is missing.

At the very least if the family tree kept thumbnails and names I'd be able to remember which sim is which and what their story was. Now I'm left trying to piece together the screenshots I do have, and building my personal off-game family tree from there.

• Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    @JackOnYourBack
    I can understand where you're coming from, and all in all it boils down to how the player plays their game.

Even Sims I don't like/don't play mean a lot to me when it comes to my family tree. Every sim, played or not, has a story behind who they are. Whenever I see a huge chunk of my family tree missing it automatically makes me feel as if a piece of this huge elaborate story I've put together is missing.

At the very least if the family tree kept thumbnails and names I'd be able to remember which sim is which and what their story was. Now I'm left trying to piece together the screenshots I do have, and building my personal off-game family tree from there.

Thanks for understanding my viewpoint and not getting angry. I usually don't get attached to all of them but the ones I do I really do. So I can understand were you are coming from as well :smiley:
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack