Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How did I get from The South to The Desert so fast?

ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
edited August 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
This isn't a deal breaker, but I've always thought it's weird that my Sims can go from The South (Magnolia Promenade, Willow Creek) to what is clearly Nevada or Palm Springs so quickly. Once more, this is an example of the lack of storytelling and continuity in the game. In Sims 4, when we were allowed to travel between neighborhoods (I forget which EP did this) and buy property, it made a little more sense. You could imagine your Sim was travelling a great distance. In Sims 4, if I live in Willow Creek, I can go for drinks in Oasis Springs. That's a big eco-system jump. Is this global warming? LOL.

Edited for typo.

Comments

• Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    loading screens are like star trek transporters... they just take a lot longer, are more inconvenient, and, in this day and age, take more of a willful act of suspension of disbelief for its existence.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    ShuffleJ wrote: »
    This isn't a deal breaker, but I've always thought it's weird that my Sims can go from The South (Magnolia Promenade, Willow Creek) to what is clearly Nevada or Palm Springs so quickly. Once more, this is an example of the lack of storytelling and continuity in the game. In Sims 4, when we were allowed to travel between neighborhoods (I forget which EP did this) and buy property, it made a little more sense. You could imagine your Sim was travelling a great distance. In Sims 4, if I live in Willow Creek, I can go for drinks in Oasis Springs. That's a big eco-system jump. Is this global warming? LOL.

Edited for typo.

16hmcyg.jpg

Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member

Edited for typo.

It's not America. It's Simland.
  • Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    Just for the sake of example, along the Nile river is some of the most lush greenest and fertile farmland in the world. Less than 2 miles away it's barren desert. :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    KevWalker wrote: »
    Just for the sake of example, along the Nile river is some of the most lush greenest and fertile farmland in the world. Less than 2 miles away it's barren desert. :)

That's actually true, if you look at Egypt on Google Earth, you can clearly see the Nile and it's green banks but then it just stops, and it turn into desert. :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lapislazulilapislazuli Posts: 73 Member
    Then don't go for drinks in Oasis Springs if you live in Willow Creek?? I mean, seriously, do you want to go back to not being able to visit worlds without moving/losing all your contacts?
    anyways,
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    edited August 2015
    Then don't go for drinks in Oasis Springs if you live in Willow Creek?? I mean, seriously, do you want to go back to not being able to visit worlds without moving/losing all your contacts?
    Glad they fixed this, but truth be told they had to do it this way since the worlds are indistinguishable in terms of a sim's experience and ambience. For instance, in previous Sims, your Sim felt connected to the area they were living, even if self employed. The game noted Sims efforts and Sim was acknowledged, Sim could become well known and so on. You felt that a particular world or hood offered you unique opportunities and was distinct in character, not just aesthetics. None of my Sims 4 sims are connected to any particular world, a Sim in Willow creek may well be in Oasis Springs, the only difference being the backdrop in each world - backdrops that never change. Even if you look at it from the perspective of the gameplay offered by different Sim families in each world, the loading screen takes you to them instantaneously, so Willow Creek, Newcrest, Oasis Springs are all indistinguishable.

Again, one good thing about the Sims 4 is that you can freely travel between worlds, but they also needed to focus on each world being interesting and unique, and compelling, so even if your travel to another world is instantaneous - depending on loading time - you will be travelling to a "breathing" world with its own idiosyncracies, and most importantly - opportunities.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Are you saying you want loading screens between world maps?
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Why do you think Willow Creek is in the south?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Why do you think Willow Creek is in the south?

It's Willow Creek is New Orleans, Louisiana.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
    I'm just saying the storytelling could have been a bit richer. If a Sim traveling from Willow Creek goes to Oasis springs, maybe a train or plane loading screen would have been cute. It's a nice little touch that would have enriched the story. @Simpocalypse is right. Each destination is really about the same, just different backdrops. Pretty much the same Sims show up at every venue no matter where you're at. I have one NPC that I see at every park I go to. Is he stalking me? LOL. It's just lazy storytelling. That's my biggest problems with Sims 4: Lazy storytelling.

@KevWalker Do you really think the writers made a conscience choice to compare the Nile ecosystem to The Sims world? I doubt it. Seems like they probably just wanted to create fun and pretty worlds. Nice idea, bad suspension of disbelief. I don't want to have to stretch my imaginary for every poor concept decision the team made. And there's a lot.

@lapislazuli Why would we go back to loosing contacts?
  • Options
    jje10001jje10001 Posts: 87 Member
    Bigger question is why no time passes when sims travel between lots in the same world.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    jje10001 wrote: »
    Bigger question is why no time passes when sims travel between lots in the same world.

that would be nice... and slightly more if to an other world
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    @ShuffleJ: I made no such claim, I merely pointed out that such juxtapositions occur naturally.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I'm just saying the storytelling could have been a bit richer. If a Sim traveling from Willow Creek goes to Oasis springs, maybe a train or plane loading screen would have been cute. It's a nice little touch that would have enriched the story. @Simpocalypse is right. Each destination is really about the same, just different backdrops. Pretty much the same Sims show up at every venue no matter where you're at. I have one NPC that I see at every park I go to. Is he stalking me? LOL. It's just lazy storytelling. That's my biggest problems with Sims 4: Lazy storytelling.

@KevWalker Do you really think the writers made a conscience choice to compare the Nile ecosystem to The Sims world? I doubt it. Seems like they probably just wanted to create fun and pretty worlds. Nice idea, bad suspension of disbelief. I don't want to have to stretch my imaginary for every poor concept decision the team made. And there's a lot.

@lapislazuli Why would we go back to loosing contacts?

I do agree, yesterday I said that the back stories have been watered down to the extant that the forgot about the Bella Goth storyline which is a shame, I would like to know what actually happened back then...

My money is that Dina had something to do with it ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    So far I actually prefer that situation to the way things are in claustrofobical Sims 4. I don't mind the differences in atmosphere though. If they want me to travel from Arizona to south Germany in one click I will, I love variety in worlds.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FaridahFaridah Posts: 171 Member
    I see it this way : Willow Creek, Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest are different districts from the same town. And Oasis Spring is just a suburb of that. I decided this for me, because the worlds are so small and I guess, if I would put every community lot in every world, I would barely have enough residental lots for my sims.

(By the way, it's not possible to put all community lots together. I tried it onces, worked hours on it. But the sims used just one building on the lot. For example, if you mark the lot as club, they just go into the club and ignore the gym or museum on the other side.... :'( )
    opxgs7vn.jpg
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    "Warp speed Mr. Zulu."
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    So far I actually prefer that situation to the way things are in claustrofobical Sims 4. I don't mind the differences in atmosphere though. If they want me to travel from Arizona to south Germany in one click I will, I love variety in worlds.

Bella was kidnapped by aliens and taken to strange town (play psp version) she bought a house there but it was haunted, after going completely crazy she ran to the service station and started living there.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited August 2015
    I do agree with this some to some extent.

I am really looking forward to the new world coming with the GT, but I sort of want it special. On the other hand I don't want to be completely cut off either.

Perhaps if each area had its own townies or something. I also like the idea above for different opportunities in the area.

I have complained before about the map and the backgrounds not matching up even within a world - there is a road clearly marked on the map going from one part of OS to the other, but it bears absolutely no relation to what you see the game. This really does annoy me.

I do think there should be something added that differentiates the worlds other than the purely visual.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison