Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Running the Sims 4 on Windows 10 and having a good time with it

Recently installed the Sims 4 on Windows 10, my first play in a few months and was surprised at how well the game runs compared to back before my rig bought the farmville.

Overall I find that the game runs much better and is less crashy and buggy/glitchy with old/new sweet content such as neighborhood meet and greet event, the new world with totally sweet and big lots, new sounds, NPC Sims getting promotions, I know for a fact that Liberty Lee didn't start out as an astronaut or that Nancy Landgraab didn't start out as a crime boss.
Still not running great though, there are some progress breaking bugs that needs fixing but overall it is a big improvement to how it was when I last played it.

Another unexpected thing was that the day after I installed it we finally got dishwashers, I really admire EA's business model with offering some things for free to whet peoples apetite and then having a good mix of useful and purely aesthetic but nonessential content as overpriced goodies.
My hat goes off to EA for their clever business sense.
The whole idea with differently priced expansion, game and stuff packs is simple yet brilliant.
Expansion and game packs have new skills and worlds while stuff packs only has cool and useful stuff and here's the really great thing, none of it is awful or of horribly low quality. Kinda rare in this day and age.
Even at reduced price the total cost for all of it is enough to buy two decently priced games.

When I saw the announcement for cool kitchen stuff was my first thought was that LifeSimmer will adore this content and in her recent eps she totally gushed over it as I expected.
That girl loves food, if you haven't you can check out her stuff on youtube.

I finally finished a concept that I had to abandon two times before and got to try out new things for the first time, been enjoying myself a lot actually.
There are still things in the vanilla game that I haven't tried yet and looking forward to.

Anyone else want to share their positive and negative experiences with playing the Sims 4 on Windows 10?

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    "Bought the farmville" is the best phrase I've read in ages :)

I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet — getting through a work crunch first (this is also my work computer!). What graphics card are you playing on?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Honestly too lazy to read but I will say Sims 4 runs better for me on Win 10 than it did on 7
  • Options
    GuloGulo Posts: 68 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > "Bought the farmville" is the best phrase I've read in ages :)
    >
    > I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet — getting through a work crunch first (this is also my work computer!). What graphics card are you playing on?

Heh. Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
    So far Windows 10 doesn't seem to be complete and utter fail.
    It is just slightly faily but not as much as 8 was.
    Hopefully future updates will hammer out the flaws upon the anvil of commercial success,
    I have a weak and lame NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760. Not very hot but beggars...

> @06Bon06 said:
    > Honestly too lazy to read but I will say Sims 4 runs better for me on Win 10 than it did on 7

Ah, laziness, one of my favs. Glad to hear that it works better for you.
    I hope the same will be true for others as well.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I didn't saw any difference between windows 10 and 8.1 in game, I guess from windows 7 and 10 there is a huge gap though, since windows 8 was already a lot lighter than 7 with resources.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Gulo wrote: »
    ROTFL
    That card is not weak at all and can run pretty much everything.
    Sure, it won't do The Witcher 3 hairworks, but that spectacle will choke even more expensive cards.

It's like GeForce 9600 in a new robes. Buy once, runs whatever comes out in next 10 years.
    You'll see it mentioned as recommended sys. requirement in recent games.
    A fantastic card.

Yes I have it too. So am I subjective? Not really, I bought it way back expecting a decent performance and what I got exceeded every expectation I had.
  • Options
    eclipsetrixxzeclipsetrixxz Posts: 1,534 Member
    Sims 4 runs faster, probably because they cut a lot of stuff that didn't matter that was in windows 7 that would run 24/7! Only complaint I had, was it deleted half my sims 2 content..and made sims 2 unplayable. But oh well..I had 55,431 files. <_> I needed to clean it anyways!
    353235_b.jpg
  • Options
    DottyDotty Posts: 80 Member
    So far so good. I like Windows 10. My main game computer is running Sims 4 really well. I have had a minor problem with my other computer, something got messed up and I did a full restore, Sims installed fine but very slowly. Running ok now it's back. Having trouble reinstalling 3 though from Origin. I'd forgotten to add one of the expansion codes. Pets alas. And for the life of me I can't find an option to register an expansion now. It wasn't the end of the world I just had to go find the disk from the depths of a very full cupboard lol but a nuisance.
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    I haven't been able to upgrade to windows 10 yet, keeps throwing errors at me. But the game runs and looks great on my computer as it is, I can't imagine it improving.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    MocaJava wrote: »
    I haven't been able to upgrade to windows 10 yet, keeps throwing errors at me. But the game runs and looks great on my computer as it is, I can't imagine it improving.

Which errors if I may ask.
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    I personally haven't noticed any difference in the game since I've upgraded to Windows 10. On another note, however, I do really like the OS after some tweaking.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    It's the magic they call DirectX 12. I noticed the game has smoother graphics and uses less resources, which means I can probably squeeze another year or two out of my eight-year-old desktop PC if I wanted to.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    All these posts gives me hope. I got notification last week to schedule Win 10 dl but waay too frightened, lol. I have Win 7 and basically haven't had it all that long. It took me a long time for 7 to pry my fingers off XP. :D

Maybe I'll get around to dl'ing 10 this weekend.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    I tried to upgrade to win 10 but it put my computer in sleep mode (and it's not set up to go into sleep mode) and I couldn't wake it up. I had to force shut down my computer and re-boot. Luckily it went back to win 7 but I had to hide that dl to keep it from installing. I am just not ready for it yet.

Note: there are some things the little info didn't mention: like, you need to create a disc to force install win 10 when things like what happened to me happen. <sigh> :s
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    What about sims 2 and 3? Anyone tried those?

I'm too scared to update... :D
  • Options
    JustKeepSimmingJustKeepSimming Posts: 3,447 Member
    Windows 10 is working out great so far and I've had no issues with the Sims 4 at all :) I haven't tried Sims 2 or Sims 3, but that's because no matter how powerful my computer is, the Sims 3 lags too freaking hard. lol
  • Options
    kensgirl73kensgirl73 Posts: 212 Member
    Windows 10 has worked out great...except that I had to fix some sharing properties with The Sims...and my Sims keep freezing but I don't know if that is more to do with the game or the OS so who knows. lol
  • Options
    DruekasterDruekaster Posts: 42 Member
    I haven't noticed any problems with sims 4 in win 10. I think it might actually be running a little smoother now, but that might be in my head. Sims 3, however, is twitchy as [insert sensorship fruit here]. I haven't played sims 3 for a long time, and I seem to remember it tending to freeze here and there, but I definitely think it's much worse now.
  • Options
    GuloGulo Posts: 68 Member
    > @JoxerTM22 said:
    > Gulo wrote: »
    >
    > I have a weak and lame NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760. Not very hot but beggars...
    >
    >
    >
    > ROTFL
    > That card is not weak at all and can run pretty much everything.
    > Sure, it won't do The Witcher 3 hairworks, but that spectacle will choke even more expensive cards.
    >
    > It's like GeForce 9600 in a new robes. Buy once, runs whatever comes out in next 10 years.
    > You'll see it mentioned as recommended sys. requirement in recent games.
    > A fantastic card.
    >
    > Yes I have it too. So am I subjective? Not really, I bought it way back expecting a decent performance and what I got exceeded every expectation I had.

Eh, its all relative. Some people play the Sims, quest for glory and text games and others play extremely graphic intensive games like shooters.
    A hardcore twitcher would see my rig as weakling casual, which is what I am.
    Its not the card but the Sims 4 is so far the only game I can run with no major issues, Civ 5 and Skyrim gets hit with a huge memory leak issue.

The biggest problem I have with Windows 10 is that sometimes when I try to exit the game my screen reboots.
  • Options
    It's the magic they call DirectX 12. I noticed the game has smoother graphics and uses less resources, which means I can probably squeeze another year or two out of my eight-year-old desktop PC if I wanted to.

There goes my excitement that Windows 10 would speed up Sims for me -- my card doesn't get to use DirectX 12.

Back to work I go to get $$ for a new video card ...
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited August 2015
    Civ 5, core game, had no problem on my machine (on win 7).
    Skyrim is, like SIms 3 and 4, another bug-o-rama. If you expect seeing no problems in that game, you're too optimistic.

Also, I said before.
    Sims 4 does not use any DirectX 12 features nor benefits from them. If Sims 4 runs okay with existing GPU, there is no need to upgrade it to dx12 compliant one unless EA's plan is to make dx12 Sims 4 version.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Civ 5, core game, had no problem on my machine (on win 7).
    Skyrim is, like SIms 3 and 4, another bug-o-rama. If you expect seeing no problems in that game, you're too optimistic.

Also, I said before.
    Sims 4 does not use any DirectX 12 features nor benefits from them. If Sims 4 runs okay with existing GPU, there is no need to upgrade it to dx12 compliant one unless EA's plan is to make dx12 Sims 4 version.

Thanks! Good to know.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member

There goes my excitement that Windows 10 would speed up Sims for me -- my card doesn't get to use DirectX 12.

i see joxer has already posted this but yeah there maybe something to the OS that makes cards interface better with this OS but unless you run a dx12 program its not used, sims uses old dx9 :D

and @luthienrising you have heard that amd isnt providing w10 support for the 6000 series :(
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »

i see joxer has already posted this but yeah there maybe something to the OS that makes cards interface better with this OS but unless you run a dx12 program its not used, sims uses old dx9 :D

and @luthienrising you have heard that amd isnt providing w10 support for the 6000 series :(

Oh right. I knew there was something else. Thanks :(
    (Not that I didn't want a new card anyway! But I just paid for a holiday and office renos. sigh)
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited August 2015
    Gulo wrote: »
    I only have the GTX 750. :s:'(
    (someday I hope to upgrade)
    But at least it works on all my games, esp Sims games, so far.
    Only one I haven't tested is the original The Sims.
    (Will get to that eventually.)
    arned him not to mess with things he doesn't know enough about.)

So far, I've had Sims 4 crash, out of nowhere, once.
    Hopefully never again.
    It's also very rare for any of my Sims games to crash, even Sims 3.
    (usually it was only if I tried using the chat feature while in-game, and clicked on My Wall, during that time)
    Post edited by LatteCrab on
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    My game also looks smooth maybe it has slightly better graphics too, but TS3 is also smoothier plus i can finally run it in High settings. :p
    tenor.gif