Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whats with all the necroing?

RomireRomire Posts: 2,418 Member
Lotta past posts being necroed here, amazing people the time to find the old posts
Romire - Australian Gamer
An Nurodirvgent player from the land downunder.

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    It's just newbies that search through threads, not knowing what date they're from.

But yeah, it's been happening a lot.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2015
    It's not just newbies. I'm sure now and then a new person pulls one up, but we all know there are new troll accounts daily also.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    thread_necro_zps92d0acb7.gif

Body is 5 characters too short.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    It's simply a matter of searching for an interesting topic. I've mistakenly managed a few times to resurrect an old thread. Sometimes, the dates aren't always visible.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    where does all this necroing happens?

becouse I havn't seen any in about 2-3 weeks
    thoese I saw before that was mostly relevant new questions or thank yous in said threads.

or are our definition of necroing not the same? I don't consider it necroing to ansvere a month old thread if your post is relevant, nor do I concider it necro if the thread is started 4 years ago but last post is a month old (I seen people define that as necro, and by that definition many active threads is constantly necroed)
    and I rater see the necroing of a 2 year old thread with relevant stuff... than people makeing new threads about the subject.

@GalacticGal
    your right if you use search (here or internet) you don't allways get the date it is posted acuratly.... you might get july 16 and think it is new... but it was really july 16 2013....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    thread_necro_zps92d0acb7.gif

Body is 5 characters too short.

Colton my friend i love you man! lol
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    It's the same person doing all the necro'ing. :)
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    anettesb wrote: »
    where does all this necroing happens?

becouse I havn't seen any in about 2-3 weeks
    thoese I saw before that was mostly relevant new questions or thank yous in said threads.

or are our definition of necroing not the same? I don't consider it necroing to ansvere a month old thread if your post is relevant, nor do I concider it necro if the thread is started 4 years ago but last post is a month old (I seen people define that as necro, and by that definition many active threads is constantly necroed)
    and I rater see the necroing of a 2 year old thread with relevant stuff... than people makeing new threads about the subject.

@GalacticGal
    your right if you use search (here or internet) you don't allways get the date it is posted acuratly.... you might get july 16 and think it is new... but it was really july 16 2013....

I agree. I literally had someone tell me the other day that a thread shouldnt be bumped after a month because thats "ages old" like what?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    Non issue to me if the thread is still relevant and the information it contains is still valid. I'd rather see that than have the umpteenth thread pop up on the exact same topic. Matter of tastes I guess.
  • Options
    AlexFetsisAlexFetsis Posts: 178 Member
    Well, if an old subject is raised again, doesn't it mean it's back or it never went away?
  • Options
    AlexFetsis wrote: »
    Well, if an old subject is raised again, doesn't it mean it's back or it never went away?

thats how I see it.. still relevant so why a problem it is up

meubanks wrote: »
    Non issue to me if the thread is still relevant and the information it contains is still valid. I'd rather see that than have the umpteenth thread pop up on the exact same topic. Matter of tastes I guess.

must be

I agree. I literally had someone tell me the other day that a thread shouldnt be bumped after a month because thats "ages old" like what?

thats just sad... a month old isn't old if still relevant
    xBob18 wrote: »
    It's the same person doing all the necro'ing. :)

well if it is 1 person and they not poating any thing relevant then maybe it is a newbie trying to get their post count up or a troll...
    but schould all forum be punished becouse 1 person cant handle using a forum?

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    on the WoW forums if a thread from 90 days ago is necro'd a warning is issued and the thread is locked, if the thread is necroed from a year and beyond, The thread is locked, and the user suspended for X duration
  • Options
    ROMIRE wrote: »
    on the WoW forums if a thread from 90 days ago is necro'd a warning is issued and the thread is locked, if the thread is necroed from a year and beyond, The thread is locked, and the user suspended for X duration

that is harsh... what if the subjects is still relevant?

• Options
    anettesb wrote: »

that is harsh... what if the subjects is still relevant?

All i can say is what a mod squad admin told me " All threads are subject to discretion "
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
    edited July 2015
    I've seen some Harry Potter threads being resurrected by a newbie that was adding a link to get more HP cc. But most of the threads were 2- 6 years old and the last posted date on them were from 2-6 years ago. Plus the OP and some of the other people who have replied on most of them haven't been back to the forums since they posted those threads. If someone has a link for cc, then they should be either making one thread for the link, posting it on their wall or adding it in to their signature so others can see it but not bumping up old and outdated threads from 2-6 years ago.

And a lot of the threads that I have seen being bumped back up after 1-6 years are either threads with new ideas for TS3, a question about the game, looking for cc/mods or problems with the game. And most of them already had answers on them either on how to fix their problem or links to cc sites. So someone goes and Google's whatever it is that they are looking for and adds their replies without ever looking at the date and to see if the OP is stilling waiting on an answer. And some of them will post the same answers as everyone else in the thread, so that person isn't really adding anything new to it. So when I see a thread that is from 1-6 years where the OP is asking how to do something in the game, I will either quote the person who bumped the thread back up saying something like this:

I don't think that the OP of this thread is still waiting on an answer after 4 years since this thread was made in 2011 and I'm pretty sure that they have figured it out already... ;)

Or however long the thread was made as sometimes I will see a thread from 2009 where someone has asked for help and hasn't gotten any answers at all. So I will reply with:

I don't think that the OP has the game on hold all of this time waiting for an answer ever since 2009... ;)

I see a thread being relevant if people are still posting everyday on the thread since day 1 of it being made but I don't see it as a relevant thread if the last posted date on it is a year or more older as that topic is just not that interesting to keep people on it. That's just my opinion... :)

Now if the thread in question is one about a problem that the bumper has and it helped them, then it's okay for them to say "Thank you" on it just in case the OP and the other people who have commented on it is still around on the forums... :)
  • Options
    @lisasc360
    I agree some times it is irelevant...
    but I don't agree that thread have to be posted on every day to be relevant.

again the helpfull but irelevant bumps you decripe... I havn't seen them that much...
    I don't want it harder for every one ells becouse 1 or 2 people is to new to know to look for date, se the wrong date (I have done that when it didn't say year just a date), or just find it fun to necro...

I do not see the big deal, why can't you ignor them instead of rebumping them? and get anoyed at them.
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member

This is not the WoW forum, so I'm not seeing where that's relevant.

Also, was it necessary to start an entirely new thread regarding necro-ing when there is a perfectly good current one already in existence? Given that that thread is only a few days old, it wouldn't have even been "necro-ing" to ask the question ("What's with all the necro-ing?") there.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    There are probably a lot of Toddler threads that might come into his category.

Sorry I am a bit fed up tonight :s