Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starting up problem for my macbook air 13" early 2015

sidni_11sidni_11 Posts: 40 New Member
edited July 2015 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
The launcher opens fine, but when I hit the "play" button, I get the blue pre-loading screen with the plumbob forever with an error saying "The sims 3 quit unexpectedly". If I ignore and give up and decide to force quit, then hitting the "play" button tells me "Cannot start the process when the Game is running," even though there is no game running. If I restart the computer, the whole thing starts again with the blue plumbob screen

Macbook air 13" early 2015, os x yosemite 10.10.4
Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
Sims Launcher: 1.67
downloaded through the origin

Any help specially from BluebellFlora, Tremayne4260? Please Im so frustrated, i don't know what to do!

Comments

• Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    The Launcher is a separate program from the game itself. Not until you hit the play button, the real game is started. If at that time the Launcher is using too much memory, it may quit 'unexpectedly'. Oftentimes, that does not interrupt the game proper from starting (or functioning correctly) so you could just try and wait for the Sims to load. Don't force quit too soon! Keep in mind, loading may take a lot of time — as in up to 10 minutes or even more!

However, 4 GB memory is just (or just not) enough to play the Sims. If you can get your hands on an upgrade to 8 GB your chances to play will much improve. Luckily, nowadays that is relatively affordable.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Ashpeef wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on an upgrade to 8 GB your chances to play will much improve. Luckily, nowadays that is relatively affordable.
    I was under the impression that the RAM on a MacBook Air was soldered to the system board and could not be upgraded. Did something change on the 2015 models?

Maybe I've been out of touch, but I think the weaker points there are the processor and the integrated graphics chip that the game will not recognize. It sounds like even the base game only would be too much for this machine to load and any EPs would make it even more of a lost cause. :|
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    I guess there has nothing to do with my machine because as i've observed, there are people who have a machine with a lower system can still play the game. Okay i'll try again and will wait for 10minutes to 20 minutes, but if it still don't start, what should i do next? should i reinstall origin? or the sims3?
  • Options
    Though not ideal, it is possible to run the base game only, maybe one or two of the less demanding EPs on lower specs. But it's the Intel HD 6000 that's the likely sticking point. In addition to being integrated rather than dedicated, it is too new for the game to recognize and know what to do with.

Sorry, not even sure why I felt compelled to answer here except for being curious about the RAM thing above. Feel like the substitute teacher no one cares enough about to listen to, so I'll just slink away, go back to my mod stuff and let the regulars answer. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    hehe. Thank you still for giving some time to my thread.
  • Options
    The error has something to with cider, though i dont have any idea what cider is all about. :'( :'( :'(
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @sidni_11
    I guess there has nothing to do with my machine because as i've observed, there are people who have a machine with a lower system can still play the game

That's the EXACT reason why it's not working. Your Mac is newer with an unsupported graphics card.

I've already replied to your PM over at AHQ with a list of links to people with the same Mac as you who cannot play. Your graphics card is not supported therefore you will only be able to play if you edit the graphics card files, as explained in the links. You need to try the workaround, again listed in the links I provided. Here it is again. You obviously substitute Intel Iris for Intel HD 6000 details.

And if you want to know about Cider, read here.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora

Thank you, i'll do the workaround step by step. But if it still don't work, do you think changing from TS3 to TS4 would be a great idea? Is TS4 more MBA-friendly (given my MBA specs)?
  • Options
    sidni_11 wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora

Thank you, i'll do the workaround step by step. But if it still don't work, do you think changing from TS3 to TS4 would be a great idea? Is TS4 more MBA-friendly (given my MBA specs)?

Yes it is but ultimately you are using a low spec. Mac with integrated graphics to game on.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    okay then, Probably it's best if i'll buy a window desktop for HD games. But can i ask one more question. My graphics is this "Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB" and as per instruction, i will be needed to replace this

card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"

with this

card 0x0d26 "IntelIrisPro"

but given that my graphics is "Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB", what should i type inside the quotes? and with or without space?

@BluebellFlora
  • Options
    btw sorry for my grammar. im not fluent in english. hehe
  • Options
    sidni_11 wrote: »
    okay then, Probably it's best if i'll buy a window desktop for HD games. But can i ask one more question. My graphics is this "Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB" and as per instruction, i will be needed to replace this

card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"

with this

but given that my graphics is "Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB", what should i type inside the quotes? and with or without space?

@BluebellFlora

As per my previous post, you obviously substitute Intel Iris for Intel HD 6000 details.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    [...] I was under the impression that the RAM on a MacBook Air was soldered to the system board and could not be upgraded. Did something change on the 2015 models? [...]
    Sorry, I 'plumly' missed the MacBook Air part in the specifications :/ There's nothing wrong with your memory/impression!
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    Is there a way to get folks with the Intel Iris or other unsupported graphics cards to actually read the main help post in this thread or go directly to either of the TWO posts about that card instead of creating what might be the thousandth individual post insisting that their issue is unique and not the same as the tons of other people who are constantly creating new posts about the same thing?
  • Options
    tamalinn wrote: »
    Is there a way to get folks with the Intel Iris or other unsupported graphics cards to actually read the main help post in this thread or go directly to either of the TWO posts about that card instead of creating what might be the thousandth individual post insisting that their issue is unique and not the same as the tons of other people who are constantly creating new posts about the same thing?
    (slinking back in again) The subject lines of the posts in question need to be more eye-catching. "Best Friend/Please Read Before Posting..." and "Please Post Here If..." aren't cutting it. How about "MAC USERS/STOP! We Will Come to Your House and Tickle You Mercilessly With Soft Feathers If You Don't Read This Before Posting"?

Or maybe something slightly more professional/succinct that that... :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Right, I'm going to start ANOTHER thread detailing the 3 cards we now know of that aren't compatible and what the user has to actually do themselves, god forbid, to try and get their game working. At least then we can just post a link and not waste anymore of our own time repeating the same stuff over and over again.

I'm actually boring myself with this now.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    It didn't work for me. Oh well, i guess i just have to buy a gaming window desktop for me to play HD games :/ Thanks for helping guys.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it was all for nought. BluebellFlora's new thread on the subject is a literary masterpiece, as far as these kinds of things go. I got positive moodlets all over the place from reading it, and it's going to be more pleasant to direct players with these graphics cards whom I see looking for help on our wiki and MTS to that one first. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Ha ha. I did try and make it slightly amusing so people would actually read it ;)
    apple-signature.png