Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Intel Iris Pro graphics cards - please post here if you have a Macbook with Intel Iris Pro card

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    And you're 100% sure you got rid of all residual files?

http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/
    apple-signature.png
  • Rigg04PlayerRigg04Player Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2014
    I followed your steps and also removed Origin and reinstalled The Sims 3 again. I was able to load the game but with very low quality graphics. I attempted the steps again and the "debug" error has returned. Then I placed the backed-up "Graphics" files and still received the "debug" error. If you could provide additional insight, that would be wonderful :)

Perhaps this helps?:

iMac (21.50inch, Late 2013)
    Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

UPDATE: I once again have deleted all Sims content from my computer, so I am back at square one with poor graphics. Again, I do appreciate the assistance!
    Post edited by Rigg04Player on
    OK. So it seems the work around doesn't work for you. There's no way for you to improve the graphics unless EA release a patch, which they won't now. Sorry, it's your graphics card that's the problem :(
    apple-signature.png
  • verfensverfens Posts: 9 New Member
    edited February 2015
    OK so here's my contribution to this mess. Here's my computer stats:

Macbook Pro w/ Retina 13 Inch from 2014
    3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

I have tried everything. I have clean uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I have ridded myself of my custom content. I have updated the options and graphics files of the game. I have no /idea/ what has caused the game to muck up so badly.

Glitches include:
    White box appearing over screen, having to force quit game.
    Debug Message appearing, forcing game to quit automatically
    Sims bugging the hell out.
    Sims becoming absolutely demonic.
    Their little character boxes going out.

and most recently:
    the whole game screen turning various shades of orange and green. As time has passed, I have been able to play the game less and less. Not even clearing my ram or my cache files helps for long!!

Please help me.
    verfens wrote: »
    White box appearing over screen, having to force quit game.
    Related to your graphics card

Debug Message appearing, forcing game to quit automatically
    Memory related, purge your RAM frequently during gameplay

Sims bugging the hell out.
    Sims becoming absolutely demonic.
    Erroneous CC?

Their little character boxes going out.
    Like this?

and most recently:
    the whole game screen turning various shades of orange and green. As time has passed, I have been able to play the game less and less. Not even clearing my ram or my cache files helps for long!!
    Related to your graphics card

The only fix for your graphics card, if altering the GraphicsCard.sgr doesn't work, is a patch from EA to support the card. They really should do this because this problem is affecting all Macs with the Intel Iris cards. I doubt they ever will because The Sims 4 is now out (I'd love to be proved wrong though). The Sims 3 is still a really popular game and they are effectively snubbing a large percentage of Mac users now. Have you tried lowering the graphics settings in game?
    apple-signature.png
  • Roie EllenRoie Ellen Posts: 1 New Member
    hi, could you please help I'm trying to play my sims 3 I have a intel iris pro 1536, I'm trying to follow the steps that worked for you but i can't quite get it right, i believe its cause my mac is updated to os x yosmite....i can't follow this instruction "Open the About this Mac dialog. Click on Graphics/Displays under Hardware. You'll find the Vendor and Device ID information clearly labelled."
    Click Displays from the menu options at the top of the window:

screen-shot-2015-02-07-at-08-59-00.png
    apple-signature.png
  • emptyjerrycanemptyjerrycan Posts: 3 New Member
    I used to be able to run the Sims 3 pretty well on my 2011 Macbook, but I had to get it replaced with a newer model. Since then, the game can only handle Create-a-Sim for about twenty minutes before it starts freezing, glitching or actually crashing. The time I've spent in build/buy mode seems to be relatively free of errors.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 Inch, Mid 2014)
    2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I've uploaded a gallery of screenshots of the various glitches happening in Create a Sim - but thanks to forum rules I cannot post the link. Things that happen, but seldomly at the same time, include the character model going all rainbow-coloured, a section of the screen repeating itself multiple times, and the UI showing the wrong windows or not showing windows at all.
  • trujilj2trujilj2 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 2015
    > @tmethei said:

> card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    > card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    > card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    > card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"
    > 9. Replace them with these lines:
    > card 0x0d26 "IntelIrisPro"
    > 10. Save the file and if prompted to overwrite, answer Yes.
    > 11. Open GraphicsRules.sgr with TextEdit
    > 12. Search for the following line:
    > elseif (match("${cardName}", "*IvyBridge*"))

> resolution = ***
    > In my case, that's:
    > resolution = 1440 900 0
    > I recommend you to set the same resolution as mine, and you'll be able to play with the display settings later yourself. Personally, I've set everything to medium, and the Sims details and Texture details are on high, and I really like what I see: smooth, fast performance and crisp graphics.
    > If you ever have the problem of hearing the sound but not seeing the picture, that must be the problem with the unsupported resolution. So, go to step 16 and follow the next few steps.
    >
    > Guys, I would like to get some feedback here, so, please, if the manual is of any help, write your impression here!

is there any way to do this on the 13 inch with regular Iris graphics, Do I just remove the pro to the name?
  • Packaroni17Packaroni17 Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi! I think I have this problem. So I just installed The Sims 3 and 4 on my Mac after playing them both on Bootcamp (which was great btw). Now, when I play The Sims 3 it's slow and the graphics are TERRIBLE. The loading screen took about 5 minutes! On the Sims 4, it took a while too and the sound was scratchy. I think I might switch back to Bootcamp because the performance was great. But if there's anything you can help me with, here are my specs:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB
    Flash Storage: 121 GB
  • MarceluwoolMarceluwool Posts: 1 New Member
    I can play GTA V but can't play Sims 3, this is so lame.

As "emptyjerrycan" said, the Construction mode works fine, but when I start Create-A-Sim, the game will start bugging after 15-20 minutes, the interface and sim's textures start blinking or disappearing and the game gets laggy.

My computer is a:
    Macbook Pro 15" (Late 2013)
    2.0 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDr3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    251 gb apple ssd
    edited May 2015
    I can play GTA V but can't play Sims 3, this is so lame.

As "emptyjerrycan" said, the Construction mode works fine, but when I start Create-A-Sim, the game will start bugging after 15-20 minutes, the interface and sim's textures start blinking or disappearing and the game gets laggy.

My computer is a:
    Macbook Pro 15" (Late 2013)
    2.0 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDr3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    251 gb apple ssd

You can play GTA 5 because it is a natively written game for Windows, released after the Intel Iris cards were introduced so they will of course be supported. I'm actually really impressed that you can play with an integrated card, shows how super duper Rockstar are :)

TS3 is not native to OS X and has had problems ever since day one, partly due to EA's decision to use Cider. It would be nice if EA released a patch to support your graphics but they won't now. Have you been purging RAM during gameplay to help with the lag?

One question, if you're playing GTA 5 on your Mac why don't you play TS3 in the Windows install too?

apple-signature.png
  • shanita080shanita080 Posts: 21 New Member
    I am having all these similar issues too, with a new computer Macbook Pro Retina-Yosemite.

Trying to try these tips in the first message, but when I right click on the Sims 3 folder, there is no option for Show Package Contents
  • AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    shanita080 wrote: »
    [...] but when I right click on the Sims 3 folder, there is no option for Show Package Contents

You should right click on the application, not on the folder, to show the package content.
    :) thank you!
    erg. Unfortunately mine still isn't working. It won't let me open the game. I changed all the things you mentioned, I keep restarting constantly, I am playing on a guest account with administrator privileges, everything I can think of to do. I open the launcher, press play and the blue screen with the sims icon comes up, but then I get this error:

Process: cider [315]
    Path: /Applications/The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app/Contents/MacOS/cider
    Identifier: com.transgaming.thesims3
    Version: 1.0. (1.0)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: cider [315]
    User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2015-05-18 16:46:44.213 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.3 (14D136)
    Report Version: 11

and it says "Game Unexpectedly Quit."

My info:
    Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 in, Early 2015)
    Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Helppp. haha this is so frustrating. Its a brand new computer and this is my favorite game. :(
    to be clear, that error was there before I changed the things the message told me to.
  • klop123456klop123456 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited May 2015
    Hello, I really hope someone can help! I have the new macbook pro Retina 13 inch (Early 2015) 2.9 GHz, Intel Core i5, 8GB, and the infamous Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. I have tried everything in your forum you linked BluebellFlora and nothing has worked. But great instructions :smile:

I still don't get past the blue screen with the green plumbob. I have left this to load for about 40 minutes.

The most recent change I have made is the one recommended by tmethei. I don't get any error codes as such, but I have the same issue of not getting past this screen.

I then altered the code so I took out the "pro" in the coding as for the 13 inch model of the mac it is not an Intel Iris Pro just Intel Iris. Again no errors about debugging etc, but I still have this screen!

Any more advice would be AMAZING

End of exams, I wanted to play The Sims for days :blush:

Oh, I should say. I am using Origin for The Sims 3 as I lost my disc. BUT I have not had any issues in the download process etc.

Also, I am not sure if this is just because I have never actually go onto the game so no file has ever been "created" but in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder there is nothing. Its empty.

Any Ideas?

Thank you in advance!!!!
    The TS3 folder will be empty because you haven't played yet.

I don't know what to suggest I'm afraid. It looks like the game just won't work at all with the Intel Iris graphics :( None of my Macs have the Intel Iris so I can't even try the workaround myself.
    apple-signature.png
  • klop123456klop123456 Posts: 2 New Member
    I was afraid of that answer :( but thank you! Its odd because some people with 13 inch macbook pro say they have got at least onto the game!

And it seems all the new 13 inch ones have the same card. Maybe they are using the non-retina... Oh well I could try sims 4, but its just not the same!

Thanks anyway :)
    klop123456 wrote: »
    I was afraid of that answer :( but thank you! Its odd because some people with 13 inch macbook pro say they have got at least onto the game!

And it seems all the new 13 inch ones have the same card. Maybe they are using the non-retina... Oh well I could try sims 4, but its just not the same!

Thanks anyway :)

The non-retina 13" MBP has the Intel HD 4000 GPU which will work. All retinas have the Intel Iris. The higher spec. 15" should also work because it has NVIDIA although the latest refresh is questionable as Apple have introduced the more powerful AMD Radeon R9 which won't be supported.

apple-signature.png
  • KateeyKateey Posts: 1 New Member
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Please help, I can't get my sims 3 base game to work! I've just upgraded laptops and downloaded the base game from my Origin account. The first menu opens fine but when I click play, the sims 3 logo window pops up like it's going to load but, then I get an error saying sims3 has quit unexpectedly. :'(

I've uninstalled and re-installed but that hasn't helped. I've also tried bypassing the first menu to go to instant game play, but that also hasn't helped.
    Kateey wrote: »
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Please help, I can't get my sims 3 base game to work! I've just upgraded laptops and downloaded the base game from my Origin account. The first menu opens fine but when I click play, the sims 3 logo window pops up like it's going to load but, then I get an error saying sims3 has quit unexpectedly. :'(

I've uninstalled and re-installed but that hasn't helped. I've also tried bypassing the first menu to go to instant game play, but that also hasn't helped.

There is no fix as your graphics are not supported in the game. The Sims 3 will not work on a Mac with only the integrated Intel Iris graphics. Have you tried @tmethei's work around at the top of page 2?
    apple-signature.png
  • webbi7webbi7 Posts: 6 New Member
    This is ridiculous they should just release a patch already :(
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    webbi7 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous they should just release a patch already :(

They're not going to. TS3 is done.