Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fastest Ways to Make a Simoleon

Hello Simmers,

I tend to find I am always working my sims to death trying to make a quick simoleon so I can move on and add the next addition to their sims home.

In Sims 3 and previous, I used to be a wiz at making money quickly as there were so many unique options to raising funds quickly. I've found Sims 4 is much more difficult that way. I'm not complaining, because I'll admit it was almost too easy in previous sims; however, for those special occasions where you need money fast, what have you found to be the most effective methods to make money?

I'm not talking specific career paths, I just mean hobby wise such as gardening, painting (I've done this but it's very repetitive), etc. Or any other tips you may have that don't involve cheating. I believe in making my sims work for it :smile:
To inSIMity & beyond!

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Painting is the quickest out of the box for me. Writing eventually brings in very big bucks but can be repetitious also. I do fast forward through that. I like to fish also but I tend to make more camping and at sylvan grove or the parks. The prints you can get too from taking a microscopic sample and using the microscope can bring in good money as your raise your logic.... Gardening also but that takes a lot of sweat. Sometimes too depending on the traits you give your sim they can be happier and make more in those hobbies.
    If they are dirt poor I make them collect for awhile all around and sell it all. Lol you can also breed frogs in your inventory a number of times a day.. not positive but about 3 I think.. even in your sleep. I use to get two expensive frogs and keep breeding them and selling off the third. thats about 300 more a day.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,633 Member
    edited May 2015
    I think my fav option that doesn't involve game cheating is to get another household to move in and then you transfer them out again, so your sims will still have all the extra money. XD That's not cheating right? Cuz it's part of the game...? Hahaha!

But if you want a real non-cheating one, I'd say fishing. If you have GTW, go to Magnolia Promenade and fish there. My sims always catch the voodoo doll which costs a lot about $200+, I think. I'm not too sure if your sim needs to have a high fishing level tho. But there's nothing to lose, at least. :)

Painting is alright but at first, you will lose more money cuz each painting is about $50-100 and if your sims don't have any painting skills, he won't earn a profit at all.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    da street
  • Options
    orlyonokorlyonok Posts: 191 Member
    If you can get hold of an UFO fruit, and plant it you can get a lot of money harvesting and selling fruit.
    I have 4 perfect UFO plant and don't need to work at all (if only real life could be like that :D )
  • Options
    BaasPetBaasPet Posts: 98 Member
    ^ I didn't know that. Going to try this the next time I play. ;)
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited May 2015
    Actually, the value of UFO fruits is raised by about 75% of their original value each time you travel (or have a loading screen, not exactly sure). Basically, this means that one perfect UFO fruit, worth $120 at harvest, will be worth $212 (I don't remember exactly) after travelling once, about $306 after travelling twice, and so on and so forth, adding a about $90 each time. So keep them in your inventory, travel around a lot and sell just before your bills come in, otherwise you won't benefit as much of them as you could - bills take account of what's in your inventory as well.

I know dragonfruit does the same, except it doesn't reach such a high value as UFO fruit. Obviously, the more you travel the less time you spend on your home lot, resulting in fewer harvests, so try finding a balance (and you better make sure you have something to do in the meantime - like read a book or play a game on your phone or something, because: loading screens...). Also, getting the UFO fruit is not easy and they're slow growers, but once you have them, no need for a job anymore.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    AmasterfoundAmasterfound Posts: 32 Member
    I have them write books. They write them so fast that you can make a descent profit in no time at all.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    My quick method? I like to earn it normally but eh if i don't have enof for something...
    Ctrl shift c
    Click in the White box at the top of your screen
    Type rosebud
    Click out of the box
    Press ctrl shift c
    There it's quick and a cheat but whatever.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    mushplomplommushplomplom Posts: 760 Member
    Easel + 13 inspire plumbob lamp.
    I bought a GTX 1070 to play Sims 4.

• Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Actually, the value of UFO fruits is raised by about 75% of their original value each time you travel (or have a loading screen, not exactly sure). Basically, this means that one perfect UFO fruit, worth $120 at harvest, will be worth $212 (I don't remember exactly) after travelling once, about $306 after travelling twice, and so on and so forth, adding a about $90 each time. So keep them in your inventory, travel around a lot and sell just before your bills come in, otherwise you won't benefit as much of them as you could - bills take account of what's in your inventory as well.

I know dragonfruit does the same, except it doesn't reach such a high value as UFO fruit. Obviously, the more you travel the less time you spend on your home lot, resulting in fewer harvests, so try finding a balance (and you better make sure you have something to do in the meantime - like read a book or play a game on your phone or something, because: loading screens...). Also, getting the UFO fruit is not easy and they're slow growers, but once you have them, no need for a job anymore.

Omg I didn't know tht. It sounds fun enof.well it's quick so.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    JoseffJoseff Posts: 546 Member
    Writing is a great source of income. Once you've written a few books and you can start selling to a publisher, you really start getting good pay.
  • Options
    OnendOnliYazzieOnendOnliYazzie Posts: 1,375 Member
    Painting and writing. Painting you get the money back as soon as you sell it. Writing you make royalties every day and it goes up every day depending on how many books your sim has written. Glad to see there's other simmers who enjoy the challenge of making their sims struggle and work for the money. I hate money cheating, if I ever do it I suddenly just feel so guilty that I can't play that family anymore.
    I love to share my sims stories and hear about others. Got a story you want to share come talk to me!
  • Options
    simmesesimmese Posts: 1,536 Member
    edited May 2015
    For me its Dragonfruits and Crafting Guitars and the campground mascot

I have 10 dragonfruit plants currently , they can give me around 10,000 each harvest ... a guitar takes about 300 simoleans to craft but usually sells for 3750 ... the campground mascot also sells for around 3750
  • Options
    Southernbelle1283Southernbelle1283 Posts: 398 Member
    simmese wrote: »
    For me its Dragonfruits and Crafting Guitars and the campground mascot

I have 10 dragonfruit plants currently , they can give me around 10,000 each harvest ... a guitar takes about 300 simoleans to craft but usually sells for 3750 ... the campground mascot also sells for around 3750

I had no idea those went for that much!

Selling perfect harvestables sells a lot, and if you're brave enough to open a retail shop, I've been getting over 6000 for some paintings at a 50% markup.
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

Origin ID: simmerdownsouth
    Twitter: @simmerdownsouth
    My Sims 4 Blog/Stories: http://www.simmerdownsouth.com/
    YouTube Channel: SimmerDownSouth
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member

Why does this happen? Is it a glitch?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    If you need small amounts of quick cash take photos on your phone and sell them. In my rags to riches sim, that's how I got her started with enought to paint. I sent her to the museum to use their easel til she had enough to buy her own.
  • Options
    Why does this happen? Is it a glitch?

I have no idea, I just know it happens and I find it quite convenient. I hope it isn't a glitch, or if it is I hope they don't fix it. I kind of like it that really exotic fruits are of increased value if they 'travel'.

In a weird way it defintely makes sense for the UFO fruit, you have to travel far to get it, so it might as wel reward you if you travel with it. As for the dragonfruit, it's called after dragons so it should have some awesome property (other than, once grafted with snapdragon, the cowplant berry spawning, which technically it doesn't do on it's own).

But seriously, I don't know, I just hope they don't take it away.
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the recycler. I always purchase one right off for all my sims! It's in with all the other trash cans and it's expensive but it pays for itself in no time at all! It works best if you like to clean up after your sims and with the baking skill! The can will give you $10 for every item times every sim in the household.

So say you have a family of four and they all just finished dinner. Don't let them wash the dishes! Grab the plates one at a time and drag them to the can and you receive $40. It takes a minute for the can to recycle the dishes but then drag the next plate. For one family of four and one meal that nets you $160.

So a single sim gives you $10 each time, but a full house get's you $80. This includes babies. When my bakers are just starting out I like to recycle their full plates of not so good goods right away. Even for a single sim it's a profit and they can build the skill without overrunning the house with fattening treats!

;)
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    Southernbelle1283Southernbelle1283 Posts: 398 Member
    I do this too. It pays for itself so quickly!
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

Origin ID: simmerdownsouth
    Twitter: @simmerdownsouth
    My Sims 4 Blog/Stories: http://www.simmerdownsouth.com/
    YouTube Channel: SimmerDownSouth
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,685 Member
    edited May 2015
    Does anyone remember the money-tree from TS2, or the contraption to "print money"? LOL This post made me think of those things. I have to say, writing is a fairly quick way to generate income. I've also found that having more than one wage earner in the house can increase the family funds quickly. I have three siblings that live together, currently.

Edited to Add: Also, when playing my Legacy Challenge household, the writer/mom was always quick to harvest the wild plants around their lot to sell.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DekrRiniDekrRini Posts: 416 Member

The value increases for UFO fruit and dragon fruit even when they are still on the plant before being harvested. They also increase in value when you quit the game. The next time you play, they are worth more. If you have the patience, which I don't, selling the fruits individually will also increase the value for each fruit. Most of the time, but not always. I think it depends on if they came from the same plant or were picked at the same time. I like to raise blackberries, too. They increase in value rather substantially as well. Because UFO fruit can be hard to come by, I always focus on dragon fruit to begin with.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Where can I find UFO fruit. Never came across any
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    DekrRini wrote: »
    The value increases for UFO fruit and dragon fruit even when they are still on the plant before being harvested.
    I know, it's just if there are still fruits on the plant, the plant doesn't spawn new ones.
    They also increase in value when you quit the game. The next time you play, they are worth more.
    I said loading screens, just wasn't sure about this counting as well, been a while since I had UFO fruits ;)
    If you have the patience, which I don't, selling the fruits individually will also increase the value for each fruit. Most of the time, but not always. I think it depends on if they came from the same plant or were picked at the same time.
    It doesn't matter if you sell them separtely, it has to do with harvest time. If you have harvest several fruits before others and loaded, these will be worth more.
    I like to raise blackberries, too. They increase in value rather substantially as well.
    I expected it, I just never really noticed, good to know these have that property too :)
    Where can I find UFO fruit. Never came across any
    You have to have a space rocket and on some missions you will receive a UFO fruit - if you complete the 'Yoda' mission correctly, you will definitely get one. You may also get them from other missions, it's just not certain there.

You can also buy one in Debug mode (of course...)

Now, I'll (finally) contribute to the actual discussion. The fastest way to make money is, in my opinion, to harvest, dig all the things in your neighbourhood and sell them. Also don't unpack MySims, they are usually worth more when still in the box: $70 instead of about $20-50 for most of them. For this you don't need tools like an easel, woodworking bench or computer. Once you've saved enough, switch to painting and/or writing. Painting is definitely more profitable with the easel from the Master of the Real- branch of the painter career (you will need to work a lot if you refuse to cheat) and of course the Creative Visionary trait.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    @MDianaSanders
    Thank you so much, that was very helpful. And also thank you for tip about mysims.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    katycat737katycat737 Posts: 225 Member
    Aside from painting, I get a lot of money from fire insurance. Once I was paid ~20,000 for a burnt rug that was used for fuel in my crematorium.
    Happy Simming