Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifespan

SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
For those of you who play with aging on...

Every time I play with a family for generations, I'm never happy with my lifespan settings. I'm curious what others have it set to.
I currently have mine set to: Toddler 50 Child 50 Teen 50 Young Adult 160 Adult 160 Elder 100
i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
Post edited by SimplyJen on

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I am playing a different type of game at the moment and I want to keep all of my Sims from ageing fast, but I still want ageing on. I have baby set to 10 and all the others set to max of Epic. This is because I'm playing most of the town and I want time to skill the toddlers, children and teens in the town before everyone dies of old age.

I usually play a single household - or maybe a small number of households with ageing off and I age Sims with a cake when I'm ready - always trying to keep them aged in the order of their birth.
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I play on normal.babies at 2,toddlers at 4-7,child at 7 ,teen at 14,ya at 23-30,adult at 21,elder at 17
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I've noticed that when playing different lifespans the game plays differently. If you have a longer life span it seems to take longer for sims to do things - like gain skill etc.

If you play shorter lifespans they do things faster but it can be hard to get to know them before they age up and die.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    In my normal age settings I will go for these settings;
    baby - 2 (babies drive me a bit batty)
    toddler - 6 (takes me this long for them to properly skill up)
    child - either 7 or 14 (mostly depending on my mood)
    teen - 14
    young adult - 42
    adult - 42
    elder - 17

Any shorter than that, I feel that they just can't enjoy their lives, and longer than that, I usually get bored. There are some sims in every one of my games who never age, but over all the town as a whole ages.
  • Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    I play on normal.babies at 2,toddlers at 4-7,child at 7 ,teen at 14,ya at 23-30,adult at 21,elder at 17

This is pretty much what I do. I don't see how anyone could handle a toddler for more than a week, max. :o
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    It varies for me, I don't go by the game lifespan system. I turn aging off and and usually have babies for 2 real life weeks, toddlers for a real life month or two (depending on how much fun I'm having with them) children for a few months, teens for a month or 2, then ya, adults, and elders stay alive as long as I want them to. But, I stay with the same family for a looong time.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    I don't go by days except for pregnancies which are 30 days long in my Retuner settings.I made years 60 days long.Babies-1 year,toddlers-2years,children-6years,teens-3years,young adults-6+ years,adults-12+ years,elders-6+ years.I turn aging off for children until they're 7 year olds and let them start aging at that point.Young Adults can get aging disabled and it gets disabled for adults until I'm ready for them to age up.I do these lifespans because I play an entire town and need to have time for each family to get the skills before aging up.
    Post edited by TadOlson on
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Baby 4
    Toddler 17
    Child 17
    Teen 38
    YA 52
    Adult 72
    Elder 42

In worlds where I play rotationally, sims under my control only age when they are being played. Everyone else inactive in town ages only whenever my "main" household is being played, not any of the others, so after a complete cycle everyone ages up evenly. In theory. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    No matter what age setting I choose (normal, long, epic) I keep infants at 3 days, toddlers at 7 (but I usually age them up once they've learned all skills and read all books), children around 14 days, and teens around 21-28 depending on the game. For YA/A I usually max whatever span is available in that age setting, and elders I typically leave at default unless I need housing and then I keep it short.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I've only recently started to use the aging and it's for a legacy game. I set the timer at 5 Sim days per real life year and a 100 year lifespan. So I figure a baby is age 0-2 real life and that equals 10 Sim days.

Toddlers 3-5= 15 days
    Child 6-12= 35 days
    Teen 13-20= 40 days
    Young Adult 21-50= 150 days
    Adult 50-80= 150 days
    Elder 80-100= 100 days

It makes for a long game BUT in reality it takes time to say have a couple of relationships in your teens and twenties and then to raise a child and actually spend time with them while working or truly take up a hobby in retirement ect. I may decide as I play it's too long and scale it back to 4 days per year.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited May 2015
    For normal 90 day life span :smile:
    baby 2
    toddler 5 (enough time for them to learn all the basic skills (potty first, then walk then talk), get max level on xylophone and pegboard, and read the first 2 sets of skill books. If they don' read the third set or max the block table I don't worry about it or push it.)
    child 7
    teen 14
    y adult 28
    adult 27
    elder 7

I often have them travel as soon as they are a teen and have learned charisma and sometimes as a child, especially if they will be an author so they can write. Also at the start of a new game I have them travel or they go off to get a university degree so they can gain acquaintances and develop skills. So I end up playing them for longer than just the 90 day life span.
  • Options
    MMitchell93MMitchell93 Posts: 108 Member
    In my games, I say that four sim days is the equivalent of one year in real life.

So...

Baby (0-2 years) - 8 days
    Toddler (2-5 years) - 12 days
    Child (5-12 years) - 28 days
    Teenager (12-18 years) - 24 days
    Young Adult (18-35 years) - 68 days
    Adult (35-65 years) - 120 days
    Elder (65-85 years) - 80 days
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Some real variety in how we all play.
    I hate a short lifespan and for my favourites don't let them age or die at all (really need to get a grip on that!) but when ageing is on

Baby - 3 days
    Toddler- 15 days
    Child - 15 days
    Teen - 25 days
    YA - 90 days
    Adult -90 days
    Elder - 40 days
  • Options
    TunzzTunzz Posts: 2 New Member
    keep default setting in long lifespan except for YA and A ( set it longer ) ....it's annoying to see your sim aging so fast :S
  • Options
    PetaTPetaT Posts: 648 Member
    I play Long
    Baby = 3
    Toddlers = 10
    Kids = 21
    Teens = 35
    YA = 49
    Adult = 49
    Elder = 35
    Total = 202 days
    My Sims3 My Page, and my Thankyou Thread.
    Rose%20redsiggy2_zps9syrrazx.png
  • Options
    mmallory10mmallory10 Posts: 53 Member
    2 days for babies, 4 for toddlers, 8 for children, 14 for teenage, 25 for YA and Adult, and 15 for elder
  • Options
    TrycTryc Posts: 123 Member
    Baby = 2
    Toddlers = 6
    Kids = 12
    Teens = 18
    YA = 36
    Adult = 48
    Elder = 18
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Wow, it seems most people like to play with low lifespans.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    StarLit8269StarLit8269 Posts: 84 Member
    I play with the teen, ya, adult, and elder to epic max, baby for like 3 days, toddlers for 14 days, child might be maxed too currently. I change the sliders almost constantly.
  • Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I play "Normal"

Babies 3 days (they really don't need that much)
    Toddlers 7 days
    Child 10 days
    Teen 14 days
    YA 35 days
    Adults 42
    Elder 25
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)